Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dani76
    Hi All! Long time, no post. I am unbelievably busy in RL and don't have time to come by often. I can't even really enjoy the holiday season, so I wanted to thank LYS for her wonderful Advent Calendar. You brighten up my days!!

I just saw that Amanda announced that she'll be at the Shore Leave con next year! The fact that it will probably be the only con she'll be at next year and the fact that Carmen will be there as well, made me seriously think about going. I also noticed that a lot of you are talking about going, and I think it would be a blast to meet you guys. How cool would that be!!! I am just wondering what exactly will be happening there and I can't quite figure it out from their webpage. Has anybody ever been to a Shore Leave con before?

Well, keep posting and have fun, can't wait to join in again. Take care everybody!
    Ah, Dani, you make me blush, seriously.
    I hope you're going to be able to enjoy more the holiday. If I succeeded in lighten up your mood, let's say it was my small contribution to the Christmas' spirit.

This Shore Leave convention seems really great, I'd like to go and meet you all. But I have the same trouble as Dani. I can't really figure what's going to happen. Add to that that I'm a convention virgin , I'm in need of help.
    Kingdom of Samanda : Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

Originally posted by ValaMalduran
      Hi Everyone!

I thought I'd pop over from the Vala - CB WOW thread and say hello.

Though Vala might be the reason I joined this board, it was Sam who got me into Stargate some eight years ago.

I'm a firm believer that there's room enough on the show for three very different female characters - Sam, Vala, Lam - and that we, the viewers, can only benefit from the dynamics between them.

Greetings,

A.

Hiya VM! Welcome to the SaGC thread. I agree, totally, power to girls of Stargate: SG-1. The more the merrier!

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
      ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by Lys
        Ah, Dani, you make me blush, seriously.
        I hope you're going to be able to enjoy more the holiday. If I succeeded in lighten up your mood, let's say it was my small contribution to the Christmas' spirit.

This Shore Leave convention seems really great, I'd like to go and meet you all. But I have the same trouble as Dani. I can't really figure what's going to happen. Add to that that I'm a convention virgin , I'm in need of help.
        it's rather simple. go to www.shore-leave.com and check it out. then fill out the registration form, send it in.
        work out where you'll stay, and i'm willing to bet you can find some roomies from this list and plan to go

it'll be easy. and i only say this because my first con was in canada. so it was my first international trip, my first real vacation on my own and my first con all at the same time....oh, and it was the week after 911 too.

going to a con is something that you just kinda have to do...and you just jump in and let it happen
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SamFan31
          Is Amanda trying to tell us something? What’s with the “34”? It must be something important to justify a patch on her jeans. Maybe it’s the number of conventions she’s done. Maybe it’s the number of trees in front of her house. Maybe it’s the number of paintings she’s done of Olivia.

On the other hand, could it be the number of days until January 6 and the start of the second half of the season? Oh, yeah.

LOL What a clever way of beginning the countdown to the second half!

And what a great photo of AT ... you just lit up our thread, thanks SamFan!

Comment

Originally posted by Dani76
            I am just wondering what exactly will be happening there and I can't quite figure it out from their webpage. Has anybody ever been to a Shore Leave con before?
            Sci-fi cons usually have fairly similar programming. They'll have guests (authors, actors, editors, and other sci-fi related personalities) who give talks, do readings, and/or sit on discussion panels. The more popular guests will have autograph sessions. The event will normally have a room with merchants selling all kinds of things... everything from books to collectables. There is often another room with an art show. Another room will be showing sci-fi movies and shows. There will be a costume contest (masquerade) on Saturday night. (This sounds kind of dull, but is usually a lot of fun). There will be parties in private hotel rooms. Lots of people will be wandering around in costumes all weekend long. Many cons will have writing workshops and blood drives.

Some cons will also have gaming going on, but I don't see that scheduled for Shore Leave. They do have a Klingon Feast, which a little unique and sounds like fun.

There's always something going on to see or do, so don't worry about being bored at a well-run con.

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc
              Okay here is my gripe for the day and it may seem small but it really got my goat -

I went over to Spoilme (http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/sg1...guid=139696037) the other day and they have 2 pictures on their cover page one for Stargate SG1 and one for Stargate Atlantis.
              Bink - I think you'll find that photo was taken during the shooting of Avalon (ie while Amanda was on maternity leave). It only came out in a recent edition of the Sci-Fi mag which is probably why they are showing it now. It's new and flashy.
              Last edited by Agent_Dark; 04 December 2005, 02:42 PM.

Comment

Star of Wonder, Star of Light
                (Based on the early seasons of SG1)

Carter moved as rapidly as she could through the snow-packed terrain. Her breath formed wisps of smoke on the frigid air as she labored up the last hill towards base camp. This was an unbelievable find - a true discovery ... to think that all she was doing was a routine scan of the planet's atmosphere and star system. Serendipity!

A smile creased the corners of her mouth and she couldn't help but chuckle. What will her teammates think of this? Here they were, light years away from home, on Christmas eve. She admitted that it was the kind of luck that usually happened to Daniel - what with his knack for digging up artifacts from the past.

What she found, however, was more a harbinger of the future. It seemed to point to hope and peace. And, even in her objective scientific mind, she had to admit that this was the stuff of dreams. She sprinted down the hill and literally flew into the camp, startling her comrades-in-arms who were just gazing into their cups of coffee around the campfire. It had been a long and tedious mission and all three men were feeling a bit homesick and melancholy. It certainly didn't feel like Christmas (even with the snow underfoot).

"Carter, what the …?!" Jack didn't know what to make of his normally calm and collected 2IC's flushed face and excited eyes.

Daniel looked up at his agitated colleague and wondered what could have caused such a state. He waited for a long string of scientific jargon to come forth. He wasn't expecting her to be standing there, wide-eyed and open-mouthed, actually looking quite stunned and surprised.

Teal'c, on the other hand, sensed that Major Carter had somehow caught a sight of something so significant that it moved her beyond words. A sense of the sacred perhaps? "Indeed"....

"Sir, I was taking some final readings through the telescope and thought I had managed to integrate all the atmospheric systems with the adjacent stars and moons when, suddenly, there appeared ..." and, at this, Sam was, once more, at a loss for words.

Pulling Daniel to his feet and beckoning Jack and Teal'c to follow her, she ran back up the hill. They followed in curiosity and amusement but, when they reached the crest, still did not see what Carter's mysterious find was.

"Hurry, sir - you have to use the telescope to see this - it's not visible to the naked eye!"

Jack moved forward and grasped the scope and took a look. He stepped back, grinning and in awe. "Here, Daniel, have a look" ... Daniel peered into the scope and let out a small gasp, "I don't believe this!" Finally, Teal'c's large hands grabbed the telescope and he focused his vision. Now, normally not one to smile, the stoic Jaffa allowed his eyebrow to lift while a slight smirk played on his face. "Indeed, Major Carter, 'tis a wondrous sight."

All four of them looked at the night sky with its multitudes of stars and then looked, one more time, through the telescope ... into the wonder behind those immediate stars that was being revealed: the wonder of this planet's nebula and neighboring moon which seemed to speak of like-minded creatures such as these Tau'ri. They were not alone.

At which point, Jack simply said: "Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night."

Last edited by ChopinGal; 04 December 2005, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                  Bink - I think you'll find that photo was taken during the shooting of Avalon (ie while Amanda was on maternity leave). It only came out in a recent addition of the Sci-Fi mag which is probably why they are showing it now. It's new and flashy.
                  Thanks for the info AD - I still do nor think it is right and my knickers are still twisted about it - it is a glaring ommission considering the full cast of SGA is there and there is only 1 major lead cast member missing and that is one of the only 2 who has been there all 9 years and I think it stinks - royally and totally stinks I don't really care how new the photo is - IMO,and in the context of what the 2 photos there show - it does not belong on a site dedicated to the Stargate shows when every other major player (and a few minor and even recurring players) are included.

Anyway I know most see it as a small thing but for me the small things tend to pss me off especially as the small things add up. Someone said that I should consider the source at Spolime - are the people that run Spoilme part of that tiny land of Danny lovers - if they are I am going to delete that site now.

Comment

Thanks for the info AD - I still do nor think it is right and my knickers are still twisted about it - it is a glaring ommission considering the full cast of SGA is there and there is only 1 major lead cast member missing and that is one of the only 2 who has been there all 9 years and I think it stinks - royally and totally stinks I don't really care how new the photo is - IMO,and in the context of what the 2 photos there show - it does not belong on a site dedicated to the Stargate shows when every other major player (and a few minor and even recurring players) are included.

Anyway I know most see it as a small thing but for me the small things tend to pss me off especially as the small things add up. Someone said that I should consider the source at Spolime - are the people that run Spoilme part of that tiny land of Danny lovers - if they are I am going to delete that site now.
                    Heh, I'm fairly certain that SGA pic is a photoshop anyway. I think it was only Torri, David and Paul in the original photo - everyone else has been pasted in (and you can tell, because the cutouts and lighting are a bit odd).

And I'm not sure about the people who run it, but they seem to have a fair bit of Season 6 stuff in their photo and files section

Comment

I can understand your frustration, binkpmmc, but I'm thinking that they change these pictures with some frequency. So just like AD said, they must have taken one from the Scifi mag because it is new to post. I'm thinking they'll rotate pictures though over time.

Does anyone have this Scifi mag? I know there are some pics of AT in it, and she was asked a number of questions as well, but I don't have the magazine.

I don't go to this site, so I don't know anything about it. I just figured they rotate pictures just like spoilergate and that other public one (sg1-fans?).

Comment

Originally Posted by Agent_Dark
                        Bink - I think you'll find that photo was taken during the shooting of Avalon (ie while Amanda was on maternity leave). It only came out in a recent addition of the Sci-Fi mag which is probably why they are showing it now. It's new and flashy.
                        I was about to say the same thing. But, at the same time, if they did the whole cut and paste on the atlantis one, why not for SG1? Oh, well, never mind.

Hi Everyone!

I thought I'd pop over from the Vala - CB WOW thread and say hello.

Though Vala might be the reason I joined this board, it was Sam who got me into Stargate some eight years ago.

I'm a firm believer that there's room enough on the show for three very different female characters - Sam, Vala, Lam - and that we, the viewers, can only benefit from the dynamics between them.

Greetings,

A.
                        Second, I thought this was really sweet, seeing as there seems to be a lot of Sam/Vala fan rivalry atm. I haven't got anything against Vala, as long as she doesn't detract from other characters. She's quite fun, in her own weird way.
                        Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                          Star of Wonder, Star of Light

(Based on the early seasons of SG1)

Carter moved as rapidly as she could through the snow-packed terrain. Her breath formed wisps of smoke on the frigid air as she labored up the last hill towards base camp. This was an unbelievable find - a true discovery ... to think that all she was doing was a routine scan of the planet's atmosphere and star system. Serendipity!

A smile creased the corners of her mouth and she couldn't help but chuckle. What will her teammates think of this? Here they were, light years away from home, on Christmas eve. She admitted that it was the kind of luck that usually happened to Daniel - what with his knack for digging up artifacts from the past.

What she found, however, was more a harbinger of the future. It seemed to point to hope and peace. And, even in her objective scientific mind, she had to admit that this was the stuff of dreams. She sprinted down the hill and literally flew into the camp, startling her comrades-in-arms who were just gazing into their cups of coffee around the campfire. It had been a long and tedious mission and all three men were feeling a bit homesick and melancholy. It certainly didn't feel like Christmas (even with the snow underfoot).

"Carter, what the …?!" Jack didn't know what to make of his normally calm and collected 2IC's flushed face and excited eyes.

Daniel looked up at his agitated colleague and wondered what could have caused such a state. He waited for a long string of scientific jargon to come forth. He wasn't expecting her to be standing there, wide-eyed and open-mouthed, actually looking quite stunned and surprised.

Teal'c, on the other hand, sensed that Major Carter had somehow caught a sight of something so significant that it moved her beyond words. A sense of the sacred perhaps? "Indeed"....

"Sir, I was taking some final readings through the telescope and thought I had managed to integrate all the atmospheric systems with the adjacent stars and moons when, suddenly, there appeared ..." and, at this, Sam was, once more, at a loss for words.

Pulling Daniel to his feet and beckoning Jack and Teal'c to follow her, she ran back up the hill. They followed in curiosity and amusement but, when they reached the crest, still did not see what Carter's mysterious find was.

"Hurry, sir - you have to use the telescope to see this - it's not visible to the naked eye!"

Jack moved forward and grasped the scope and took a look. He stepped back, grinning and in awe. "Here, Daniel, have a look" ... Daniel peered into the scope and let out a small gasp, "I don't believe this!" Finally, Teal'c's large hands grabbed the telescope and he focused his vision. Now, normally not one to smile, the stoic Jaffa allowed his eyebrow to lift while a slight smirk played on his face. "Indeed, Major Carter, 'tis a wondrous sight."

All four of them looked at the night sky with its multitudes of stars and then looked, one more time, through the telescope ... into the wonder behind those immediate stars that was being revealed: the wonder of this planet's nebula and neighboring moon which seemed to speak of like-minded creatures such as these Tau'ri. They were not alone.

At which point, Jack simply said: "Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night."

((((((((ChopinGal))))))
                          That was wonderful ! A true season Stargate story ! Thank you so much :
                          If only we could see such wonders in the sky !
                          Kingdom of Samanda : Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

Yeah, it's lovely. Thanks for making my evening!
                            Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
                              I thought this was really sweet, seeing as there seems to be a lot of Sam/Vala fan rivalry atm. I haven't got anything against Vala, as long as she doesn't detract from other characters. She's quite fun, in her own weird way.
                              And the sad thing is, it's not even a Sam/Vala rivalry, it's a FANofSam/FanofVala rivalry that some folks have buzzing around in their bonnets. Sam and Vala may end up best friends for all we know. Heh.

Besides, the way I see it, until Vala can strip down a naquada reactor and reassemble it in under half an hour, there's no way she's a threat to Sam.

Now, as to who's the better basketball player - THAT is the real question people. (Considering Vala needed Teal'c to lift her up to the basket, my money's gotta be on Sam!)

It'll be neat to discover what practical skill(s) Vala actually has when she's reintroduced. We know she had enough skill/expertise to hijack PROMETHEUS and deboard its (well-trained) crew. That's no small feat. She was dressed in SuperSoldier armor and she knew her way around the computers pretty well, so she's obviously got SOME skills. I'm wondering what her "special gift" is going to be. Because they all have one thing that differentiates them from the others in terms of outstanding ability. Mitchell the crack pilot, Daniel the linguist, Teal'c the tactical war-machine, Carter the physics/mechanical genius, and Vala the .... (god please don't let the writers choose anything cliche).

They created the groundwork for a very interesting archetype. But based on the way they've been writing the last while, I think the really burning question isn't so much what's possible, as what we can reasonably hope this writing team will be able to provide in terms of strong, believable character-building in the coming season(s).

I personally prefer not to give up all hope or prophecy the apocalyptic doom of SG-1, so I'll have to side with the folks who are chanting "Time will tell", until we see what actually happens.

mini

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                              ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Stargate Project just posted some "behind the scenes" pics for SG-1 and Atlantis. There is one showing Amanda and David Hewlett while shooting a scene for GUP. http://www.stargate-project.de/starg...te=news&ID=942
                                BTW - those that were posted on the frontpage of the spoilme yahoo group are also there.
                                I am pretty sure that all the pictures are from the current issue of the SciFi Magazine.

Thank you, Skydiver

Comment

Working...
                                X