Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by binkpmmc
    I sincerely hope that you are right and that it comes across like this and not as an immature, childish fantasy Carter that the writers sex-up for no apparent purpose other than to sex her up. I am so not in the trust TPTB era that I fear it wil be another "boys fantasy" played out through a character - but I really, really do hope the essence of what you describe comes out as the main reason for her being there.

I am always willing to admit a mistake so if it plays out the way you describe and Carter is not diminished for the sake of the teeny bopper fantasy-land the "boys" want to live in than I will be the first to admit my mistake. Anyone know the air date for GUP so I can mark it down as a reminder just in case (or rather nin the hope) that I have to come back here and admit my mistake?

I can't say that there won't be a teeny bopper fantasy-land thing going on here. I think there will be both---there will be McKay's fantasy of Carter which is written by the "boys" (at least it is Martin Gero who seems to be doing well for Atlantis so far), and then there will be SamH helping him too. I'm sure there will be both, but I'm expecting it from McKay. He always has had a thing for her---and I can see why, given that she is in his league in intelligence and she is gorgeous. And he is arrogant--in his own mind he would love the thought of being with her. But he also conjures her up, like NC said, because he knows how brilliant and resourceful she is.

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
      That is such a neat analogy. I've always felt the same about Sam. There's an elegance about her ability to perceive things. Like, an artist (of any medium) looks at a "thing" and perceives it in a different way than someone who is not an artist (of any medium) would perceive it. The world looks different to to different people. I often wonder what a person who's a mathematical/physics genius (like Sam) would see when she looks at things. We each have our own giftst, of course, but it's a very apt analogy to bring!
      I wish I could take credit for this, but I think someone on the show mentions that she is an artist -- maybe it was even McKay! Does anyone remember? Whoever did, it always resonated with me because I do see Carter as an artist in the sciences.

And yes, I'd love to see what she sees -- just like the first time she saw the event horizon.

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc
        I wish I could take credit for this, but I think someone on the show mentions that she is an artist -- maybe it was even McKay! Does anyone remember? Whoever did, it always resonated with me because I do see Carter as an artist in the sciences.
        Yes, it was Rodney, in Redemption, when he confesses that he wanted to be a penis, sorry, pianist. Here's the artist part.

MCKAY: You're an artist, Major. Maybe the best I've ever seen. I'm just critical because I'm jealous.
        SAM: I'm touched, really. I wish I had a brilliant plan to draw up for you.
        MCKAY: And you're funny, too. Even electrocuted. I mean, I've ... I've got nothing.
        SAM: You're creeping me out, McKay.
        MCKAY: It's just self preservation, see? I'm realizing that I won't be able to solve this, and that one of your insane ideas will be our best chance.

NC

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
          And quite frankly, if the Sam haters want to use Hallucinated!Sam in McKay's head against the real Sam Carter, well all it'll tell me is that they are a bunch of complete and utter ******s. Nothing the writers do with Sam will please them, so at this point I really dont give a flying frak what they think. As long as I continue to enjoy the character of Sam Carter is all that matters to me
          you go....aah, guy

joke em if they can't take a....... anyway. they will hate sam even after they get thier way and get her off the show so who cares? let em whine and complain. changing thier minds is even more futile than emptying lake superior with a teacup
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

This is SO not the thread for this, but ...... this is the only thread I play in on GW. I did a Claudia Black sketch as well. Since we are now going to have two powerhouse girls on SG-1, I figured fair was fair.

very nice MG

i wish i had your talent. me? sam's stick figures are almost beyond me

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NearlyCircular
              Yes, it was Rodney, in Redemption, when he confesses that he wanted to be a penis, sorry, pianist. Here's the artist part.

MCKAY: You're an artist, Major. Maybe the best I've ever seen. I'm just critical because I'm jealous.
              SAM: I'm touched, really. I wish I had a brilliant plan to draw up for you.
              MCKAY: And you're funny, too. Even electrocuted. I mean, I've ... I've got nothing.
              SAM: You're creeping me out, McKay.
              MCKAY: It's just self preservation, see? I'm realizing that I won't be able to solve this, and that one of your insane ideas will be our best chance.

NC

Ah, thanks NC! I thought it was McKay!

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                very nice MG

i wish i had your talent. me? sam's stick figures are almost beyond me
                You're way too kind. The hair SUCKS on that one. LOL

PS-> Stick characters are art, too! Check this out: http://www.hackernetwork.com/flash/stickdeathx.shtml

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

PS-> Stick characters are art, too! Check this out: http://www.hackernetwork.com/flash/stickdeathx.shtml

LOL! This is like watching a Jackie Chan movie after imbibing some illegal substance!
                  sigpic

Comment

Like that, huh? Here's the demo reel of a really good stut guy. He also does stage and film/tv combat (you have to wait till the end to see some of those scenes). Check it out. It's all really him.

http://thatvideosite.com/view/409.html

(uh, ignore the pr0n text ads... ahem)

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                    ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Like that, huh? Here's the demo reel of a really good stut guy. He also does stage and film/tv combat (you have to wait till the end to see some of those scenes). Check it out. It's all really him.

Excellent! Thanks. I have to admit I have a soft spot for guys like this and Jackie Chan, who do all the stunts without using wires etc.

The pr0n adds were very interesting too! LOL!
                      sigpic

Comment

Thanks for both the links, mg! Mall security must love that guy.

NC

Comment

i've always thought that Sam was behind rod's change of heart. that little bit, when he thought he killed her i think knocked a lot of the smug out of his heart. now a good portion of it grew back , but her nearly dying did chill him out a bit and gave him the bigger picture...that it's not always about who's right or wrong but getting the job done...and that there are often no easy answers but sometimes just the less bad one

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NearlyCircular
                            In Grace Under Pressure, if you think about it, it could be played as really flattering to Sam that Rodney dreams her up to help him. Knowing McKay, it wouldn’t have surprised me if he conjured up another Rodney to help. But when he’s being really honest with himself, he knows that Sam is much better at finding creative ways to solve problems – remember the “I always wanted to be a pianist” speech? So yes, he’ll find a way to make us cringe, I’m sure, but bottom line, he’s dreaming up the one person who’s better than he is at dealing with these kinds of situations. He’d never admit that to anyone, but his subconscious knows it, and acts on it.

NC

That is a wonderful POV regarding GUP. I definately agree with that, and hope taht, even in some small way, they make acknowledge that in the ep. I agree that Sam knocked down his ego a bit, but that he's got it back, but I also think that there have been some incedents in Atlantis, like the whole Trinity thing, that has made him kind of insecure. Part of his arrogance could be covering up his fear, that he's realized he can't do everything, but doesn't want to let anyone down, because he cares about them now. So in GUP, yes, he calls on the one person he knows could help him. it's just an hallucination, so the people of Atlantis won't know that he had to call on help, thus his rep/ego will still be intact. However I wonder if everyone else in Atlantis DOES find out about his hallucinations... hm.

If I saw that guy jumpin around a mall... I don't even know what i'd do, hahahah. I wish I could say i'd whip on my ninja clothes and challange him to a duel, but alas.

Thanks for the link
                            The Von MajorSam Family Singers debut CD... Coming soon

^^Sam/Jack^^
                            |||Official Member of the Chevron Guy Fan Club||

Comment

Oh wow, I havn't seen that for ages! I was just thinking about that flash the other day as well

mmm, pr0n.

/me waits for GUP

Comment

This is SO not the thread for this, but ...... this is the only thread I play in on GW. I did a Claudia Black sketch as well. Since we are now going to have two powerhouse girls on SG-1, I figured fair was fair.

http://img480.imageshack.us/img480/515/cbsketch12cl.th.jpg

Very nice mg -

Cool vid link as well
                                My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

Working...
                                X