Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MajorSam
    Do you really think that people would hold that against Carter personally, even though it's a ridiculous hallucination of an injured stressed out MCKAY, of all people??? I personally don't see how anyone could at all blame it against her when it is in no way actually her, but then again I havn't been here lately to fully see all the controversy...

If people were to hold that against real Sam... that is just... I don't even have the words.
    I would hope they would not however with the way Carter has been written since mid-S7, IMO, and with the reactions of the highly charged and overzealous Carter haters (some of whom went so far as to say that her video phone appearance in one of the early S9 eps was too much) I wouldn't be surprised if they did in fact use it against Carter (the same way they use everything else against Carter regardless of whether they are being hypocritical or not) as opposed to against McKay and the writers. I say what I said because I am tired of seeing Carter (any version of Carter) portrayed in a diminished light by the writers and because waay too much time, IMO, has been spent on her personal life and her so-called human side (whch I think has been wrotten horribly) and this whole childish scenario with McKay just continues to add to that track record for these writers and their silly childish fantasies.

Just my opinion though as I know there are people who like the personal stuff and see much of the past few seasons as character building for Carter - me on the other hand - I see it differently taken as a whole since mid-S7 - I interpret it differently.

Let's hope if this does make the cut that "people" will see it for what it is - McKay's immaturity and that it has nothing to do with Carter (I, for one, will not hold my breath hey but if I turn out to be wrong I'll eat my words.)

Comment

JM is on line answering questions - this one says it all as to why I miss Brad Wright as showrunner . . . :

Originally Posted by Gilder
      Which reminds me, what didn't TPTB like about braids for Teal'c? I saw Chris at Barcelona in Jan. 2004, thought the braids looked perfect for Teal'c.

Brad put the kibosh on the braids. If Brad had his way, Teal'c would still be bald. Actually, if it was up to my wife, he'd still be bald.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
        You mean this team?
        Yes, thanks. I'm also putting a SC team together and didn't want to intentionally duplicate!

Just sayin', yours rocks!
        MISSION: STARGATE REWATCH 2011-2012 ENGAGED DONE!
        sigpic
        Beware Helen Magnus - Doctor of A$$-Kicking

Comment

I notice that JM in his thread has said (no less than 3 times as well...) that Sam will continue to play an active part on SG1 and that all the stories they have pitched so far include Carter actively involved with SG1.

Now I know some of you are slightly cynical about Joe's answers but I hardly think he's lying to us, so I still remain cautiously optimisitic for S10 and Sam

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc
            JM is on line answering questions - this one says it all as to why I miss Brad Wright as showrunner . . . :

Originally Posted by Gilder
            Which reminds me, what didn't TPTB like about braids for Teal'c? I saw Chris at Barcelona in Jan. 2004, thought the braids looked perfect for Teal'c.

Brad put the kibosh on the braids. If Brad had his way, Teal'c would still be bald. Actually, if it was up to my wife, he'd still be bald.

If anything he didn't want to confuse CJ with Keith H. Cobb. But I think I can tell the difference.

Comment

Oh, and RE Grace Under Pressure - I'm really looking forward to it, especially the Sam that McKay is hallucinating. And especially if that Sam happens to be 'sexed up' I don't have a problem with Vala per se, rather the idea of Vala (as her character currently stands) fitting in with the SGC.

And quite frankly, if the Sam haters want to use Hallucinated!Sam in McKay's head against the real Sam Carter, well all it'll tell me is that they are a bunch of complete and utter ******s. Nothing the writers do with Sam will please them, so at this point I really dont give a flying frak what they think. As long as I continue to enjoy the character of Sam Carter is all that matters to me

Comment

In Grace Under Pressure, if you think about it, it could be played as really flattering to Sam that Rodney dreams her up to help him. Knowing McKay, it wouldn’t have surprised me if he conjured up another Rodney to help. But when he’s being really honest with himself, he knows that Sam is much better at finding creative ways to solve problems – remember the “I always wanted to be a pianist” speech? So yes, he’ll find a way to make us cringe, I’m sure, but bottom line, he’s dreaming up the one person who’s better than he is at dealing with these kinds of situations. He’d never admit that to anyone, but his subconscious knows it, and acts on it.

NC

Comment

Originally posted by NearlyCircular
                  In Grace Under Pressure, if you think about it, it could be played as really flattering to Sam that Rodney dreams her up to help him. Knowing McKay, it wouldn’t have surprised me if he conjured up another Rodney to help. But when he’s being really honest with himself, he knows that Sam is much better at finding creative ways to solve problems – remember the “I always wanted to be a pianist” speech? So yes, he’ll find a way to make us cringe, I’m sure, but bottom line, he’s dreaming up the one person who’s better than he is at dealing with these kinds of situations. He’d never admit that to anyone, but his subconscious knows it, and acts on it.

NC
                  That is so brilliant and true! McKay knows deep down that Sam is smarter than he is. It's too bad that no one else knows this about him.
                  http://www.bigcrumbs.com/crumbs/land...nchan2&s=59146
                  Shop through Big Crumbs for your online purchases to receive a little bit of your money back.

Comment

This is SO not the thread for this, but ...... this is the only thread I play in on GW. I did a Claudia Black sketch as well. Since we are now going to have two powerhouse girls on SG-1, I figured fair was fair.

Last edited by minigeek; 26 November 2005, 04:21 PM.

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                    ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
                      This is SO not the thread for this, but ...... this is the only thread I play in on GW. I did a Claudia Black sketch as well. Since we are now going to have two powerhouse girls on SG-1, I figured fair was fair.

http://img480.imageshack.us/img480/515/cbsketch12cl.jpg
                      mini(the equalizer)geek, awesome!

Just sayin', thanks for sharing the love for our gals.
                      MISSION: STARGATE REWATCH 2011-2012 ENGAGED DONE!
                      sigpic
                      Beware Helen Magnus - Doctor of A$$-Kicking

Comment

NC

So well said, NC. I look forward to this episode. I'm sure it will be outrageous because it is McKay hallucinating! I have no problem with that, and yes, he does think up carter at this time, not only because of his own fantasies, but because Carter is like an artist when solving problems.

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc
                          So well said, NC. I look forward to this episode. I'm sure it will be outrageous because it is McKay hallucinating! I have no problem with that, and yes, he does think up carter at this time, not only because of his own fantasies, but because Carter is like an artist when solving problems.
                          I have no problems at all with what I've heard about Grace Under Pressure because I love watching Sam and Rodney snark at each other...and for me at least, what makes this cooler is the fact that it ISN'T Sam but rather his deluded interpretation of who she is.

For me it'll be like watching an AU of Sam and has nothing to do with who she is as a character and will in no way affect how she is perceived.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

NC
                            I sincerely hope that you are right and that it comes across like this and not as an immature, childish fantasy Carter that the writers sex-up for no apparent purpose other than to sex her up. I am so not in the trust TPTB era that I fear it wil be another "boys fantasy" played out through a character - but I really, really do hope the essence of what you describe comes out as the main reason for her being there.

I am always willing to admit a mistake so if it plays out the way you describe and Carter is not diminished for the sake of the teeny bopper fantasy-land the "boys" want to live in than I will be the first to admit my mistake. Anyone know the air date for GUP so I can mark it down as a reminder just in case (or rather nin the hope) that I have to come back here and admit my mistake?

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc
                              That is such a neat analogy. I've always felt the same about Sam. There's an elegance about her ability to perceive things. Like, an artist (of any medium) looks at a "thing" and perceives it in a different way than someone who is not an artist (of any medium) would perceive it. The world looks different to to different people. I often wonder what a person who's a mathematical/physics genius (like Sam) would see when she looks at things. We each have our own giftst, of course, but it's a very apt analogy to bring!

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                              ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                                Oh, and RE Grace Under Pressure - I'm really looking forward to it, especially the Sam that McKay is hallucinating. And especially if that Sam happens to be 'sexed up' I don't have a problem with Vala per se, rather the idea of Vala (as her character currently stands) fitting in with the SGC.

And quite frankly, if the Sam haters want to use Hallucinated!Sam in McKay's head against the real Sam Carter, well all it'll tell me is that they are a bunch of complete and utter ******s. Nothing the writers do with Sam will please them, so at this point I really dont give a flying frak what they think. As long as I continue to enjoy the character of Sam Carter is all that matters to me

Agree, Agent Dark! Who cares what they think! To them, it doesn't matter what Sam does, ever. I predict it now. Sam and Vala having some great scenes together---some kind of friendship -- Sam will be criticized by that minority, simply for interacting with Vala.

I look forward to Grace Under Pressure because I have always liked the way AT and DH have played out their interactions. McKay started to redeem himself just a bit in redemption.

Comment

Working...
                                X