Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've removed a couple of posts.

To anyone who may not be aware of GW's policy: speculating about rows or bad blood between the actors on the show, such as accusing one actor of being behind the downsizing of another's role is not allowed here.

It should be said that this is an Amanda / Sam Appreciation thread, not a MS/CB/BB-dissing thread. Comparing Sam to Vala, Daniel or Cam to the detriment of those characters is bound to happen, but to actually say bad things about the personalities of those other actors is Just Not On.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Madeleine; 24 November 2005, 08:38 AM.

Madeleine

Comment

Wow. Ok, so that's a bit embarassing. I'm glad I didn't read those posts, myself. That's not what SAmanda is about. I've only been here a short while but even I already know we're supposed to be against actor/actor bashing. Power to the artists, people. Whether or not their character needs tweaking!

Flippy18, thanks for the link. Doesn't she look so great? That lady just glows I tell ya.

mini

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
      ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Just 'cuz I'm in an Ammie kinda mood..! And 'cus, you know, we all need a little cheerin' up now and then.

Last edited by minigeek; 24 November 2005, 08:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
          Wow. Ok, so that's a bit embarassing. I'm glad I didn't read those posts, myself. That's not what SAmanda is about. I've only been here a short while but even I already know we're supposed to be against actor/actor bashing. Power to the artists, people. Whether or not their character needs tweaking!

Flippy18, thanks for the link. Doesn't she look so great? That lady just glows I tell ya.

mini
          Sheesh, I'm glad I didn't see those posts either. That's so not what we're about here....
          If you immediately know the ep stinks, the writers were cooked a long time ago

Member of Gategrrlz Gone Wild
          proud Shore Leave 28 Attendee
          Naughty Shore Leave 29 Attendee (sorry all but thanks for the rescue. many many thanks)

Carmen Argenziano Appreciation

Comment

Originally posted by tsaxlady
            Well it is quiet around here tonight.

NC congrats on making the 22,000 post on the thread. My internet speed is running very slow tonight so I will save your post to listen to later and see if I know the new set.

I was reading Claudia Blacks interview from SFX tonight and a couple of things stood out to me so I thought I would post part of the article here. If you want to read the full article you can find it here

“It was great to embrace such a character,” she says. “I knew it was only for a short period as essentially everybody was just treading water until Amanda Tapping was able to come back. So it was nice for the writers to take the stories in a slightly different direction.” Black also suggests the writers were testing the water with the Vala character. “It was an experiment and it was fun for everybody.”

“I know Vala is controversial and it’s wonderful to be playing someone who doesn’t have to be popular. It’s difficult because she runs the risk of being a one trick pony. She comes out with batty one liners and I said to the producers, ‘You can’t keep pressing the reset button. And attracted as they are to the Tracy/Hepburn stanza between Daniel and Vala it needs to develop. Their relationship needs to grow, otherwise he looks stupid and I refuse to let characters be dumbed down.

I believe this article was written while CB was still filming the first 5 episodes before AT returned. I found it interesting that she said they were just treading water until AT returned - something that more than one person here has said as well. She also see's that the character of Vala could become a cliche.

I am hopeful that either before S9 is over or early on in S10 we see some development of Vala and some good interaction between Sam and Vala. I'm not ready to give up on Stargate yet - I will watch until I find no more enjoyment in the show.

this gives me hope. i'm glad that claudia can perceive issues that we also see and that she's aware of them.

it gives me hope that, if the fans are saying the same thing the actor is that maybe, just maybe, that'll give bridge enough leverage to write vala differently (i still have the opinion that a lot of vala has been ordered by SMS)

if claudia sees things the way i do, then maybe vala will change enough to make her more paletable to a larger vareity of people
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
              this gives me hope. i'm glad that claudia can perceive issues that we also see and that she's aware of them.

it gives me hope that, if the fans are saying the same thing the actor is that maybe, just maybe, that'll give bridge enough leverage to write vala differently (i still have the opinion that a lot of vala has been ordered by SMS)

if claudia sees things the way i do, then maybe vala will change enough to make her more paletable to a larger vareity of people
              Couldn't agree with you more; I too feel hopeful and that's saying a lot!

Naughty Shore Leave 29 Attendee (sorry all but thanks for the rescue. many many thanks)

Comment

Originally posted by dmovies
                If the 'writers' don't know what to do with the Sam Carter character, it's their own fault. They're the ones that started this Sam/Jack thing, and once again they've backed her and themselves into a corner. Without RDA, there won't be any more involvement for Sam with him, the fans can only she her with RDA, they won't establish a long-distance relationship with him which could be used for why she isn't ever again involved with someone else. She could continue as the scientist on SG1 with only a few comments between her and anyone who knew Jack as to 'how things were going' between them. But to dump her Lt Col character for a newcomer on the team, why would they do that? How would that make any sense at all in the SG1 universe? Bad omen for the future of this show.
                Let me admit right off the bat that I haven't caught up on the thread before asking a potentially dumb question: is she going to be a member of SG-1 or just a regular in the show a la Jacob? Holy cow, Vala on SG-1...not seein' it.

On edit: I guess "full time" would preclude a Jacob like schedule....I'm trying to think of what they could do with her 'full time' that wouldn't involve putting her on the team....I guess it wouldn't be very exciting to keep her in the brig where Daniel could pinch her head on the monitor....
                Last edited by WhatFateAlmondRoca; 24 November 2005, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Okay since some folks have a long weekend this week with the Thanksgiving Holidays I thought a Sam Carter Marathon would be cool

If you were going to watch just one episode from each Season 1 - 8 - What episodes would you watch? Two parters can count as one since if you are like me you can't watch just one half of a two parter.

I'm thinking my list would be;
                  S1 - Singularity (great episode to feature Sam and show off AT's skills early on)
                  S2 - Tok'ra two parter
                  S3 - Jolinar's Memories and The Devil You Know
                  S4 - 2010 - okay I just like this episode
                  S5 - Ascension
                  S6 - Unnatural Selection
                  S7 - Going to put this one in spoiler tags so as not to upset those with sensitive feelings
                  Spoiler:
                  Chimera - Okay not really - toss up between Space Race because I like the fun of the episode or maybe the two parter Lost City - one of my altime favorites

S8 -
                  Spoiler:
                  Affinity
                  okay sorry guess I'm in to playful a mood tonight - truth Reckoning two parter
                  Nice picks, tsaxlady. I guess Stargate marathons are on our frons for this weekend! SciFi has a gross-out marathon of Living Freaks or something; not so palatable for a big eatin' day. I limited my selections to 2 seasons (random pick via paper slips - hey, I had to have some criteria! ). Not completely Sam-centric eps but many are. So it was S3-4.

First up:
                  S4- Small Victories- pensive Sam
                  Spoiler:
                  with the big "stupid idea" that saves Thor's homeworld.
                  Also for the first time, listened to the commentary on this, and heard how Amanda was alone during filming the Thor scenes. The two spfx guys (don't recall names, sorry!) were very impressed with Amanda's ability to convince us she was really "seeing" computer generated images that weren't even there! And with her interaction with the Thor puppet which was malfunctioning right in the middle of her rant scene. She actually choked the puppet, right in character! Naturally that got cut. "She's such a pro." one said. Indeed she is! And have to add that their commentary on the filming of the Jack-Teal'c major plot was fascinating, esp from creative aspects but also the technical complexiites that had to be worked out. And very well, too.

S4- Upgrades - slightly loopy-with-power Sam.
                  Spoiler:
                  I wondered why Sam wasn't more interested in the HOW of the devices; they were alien technology with potential to bump earth's defenses up a notch or two. Guess the virus toyed with her deeper than I thought at first.

Still to watch:
                  S3- Into the Fire - Sam to the rescue!
                  S3- Learning Curve- Sam with a child prodigy, interesting juxtaposition.
                  S4- Beneath the Surface - D'uh! 'Ship alert!

Just sayin'

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL!
                  MISSION: STARGATE REWATCH 2011-2012 ENGAGED DONE!
                  sigpic
                  Beware Helen Magnus - Doctor of A$$-Kicking

Comment

Okay since some folks have a long weekend this week with the Thanksgiving Holidays I thought a Sam Carter Marathon would be cool

If you were going to watch just one episode from each Season 1 - 8 - What episodes would you watch? Two parters can count as one since if you are like me you can't watch just one half of a two parter.
                    S1-Emancipation (love seeing her kick some machismo boo-tay, and the guys' reactions to her in the dress are priceless)
                    S2-Tok'Ra
                    S3-Foothold
                    S4-2010
                    S5-Ascension
                    S6-Nightwalkers
                    S7-space race
                    S8-Moebius (like the others I thoroughly enjoyed Geeky Sam! Amanda did a great job)

Comment

Originally posted by Traveler Enroute1
                      S4- Upgrades - slightly loopy-with-power Sam.
                      Spoiler:
                      I wondered why Sam wasn't more interested in the HOW of the devices; they were alien technology with potential to bump earth's defenses up a notch or two. Guess the virus toyed with her deeper than I thought at first.
                      EXCELLENT point - I never thought of it that way, it totally makes sense. And I really enjoy Beneath the Surface!

Comment

i love hathor for the sheer girl power of it, and the campiness and fun. and sam does get whumped which is alwys a bonus

singularity is great drama, solitudes is a good example of soldier sam, tok'ra is a given as is itlod. secrets is great sam development

i love show and tell too, just to see sam and dad together (and sam gets to blow things up too)

foothold is always fun, as is deadman's switch
                        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Little minithanksgiving present for my American SAmandan family.

From the minigeek - who celebrated last month here in Canada. No turkey and stuffing (mmmm stuffing *g*) for me today, unfortunately.

Comment

i love hathor for the sheer girl power of it, and the campiness and fun. and sam does get whumped which is alwys a bonus

singularity is great drama, solitudes is a good example of soldier sam, tok'ra is a given as is itlod. secrets is great sam development

i love show and tell too, just to see sam and dad together (and sam gets to blow things up too)

foothold is always fun, as is deadman's switch
                            I like ENTITY as well - she did such a great job - that scene where she's typing on that keypad and staring at Jack, scary.

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
                              Little minithanksgiving present for my American SAmandan family.

From the minigeek - who celebrated last month here in Canada. No turkey and stuffing (mmmm stuffing *g*) for me today, unfortunately.
                              Fabulous - thanks!

Comment

Yup Claudia has said she would need to be toned down for a long run, Michael and Ben also have said the same thing at cons recently. I do think there is potential for Vala. I'm hoping for some good writing of stuff for Vala and Sam together in S10. But as Ben said a couple of times last weekend. It is the writers that create the stories, it is the actors job to do the best job possible to bring them to life, but they can only actor out what has been written for them.

My favorite episode for S9 so far has been 'Prototype' which was written by the new guy Alan McCullough. Hopefully he will be back next year and writing some great new episodes.

Well I'm out of here - driving up into the mountains for a Thanksgiving dinner with friends. Play nice and I'll see y'all later.
                                My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

Working...
                                X