Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AGateFan
    Actually you can vote as many times as you want if you clear your cookies.
    Yes, but thats cheating

Originally posted by Traveler Enroute1
    Hmm. *Sound of fanfic gears turning*). Sam goes to Atlantis
    lol

Only one problem, you had Sam and Shep calling each other Lieutenant They'd refer to each other as Colonel

Comment

AD, your sig is evil ! There was a nice pic of Sam and AU Sam from Point of View and the quote was : It's my Sam Carter.
      Perfect for you ! Now, you only have to throw your Janet clone into the mix.
      Kingdom of Samanda : Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
        I haven't felt much like posting the past two days but have been blown away by the excellent posts that have been made regarding the whole Sam's-future situation. I think you have all spoken well and honestly, albeit most of what has been shared is disturbing and sad.

I think what we all have to remember, here in Samanda, is that Sam is and always will be a great character when she is written as a role model for other women, especially young girls. We know that a few of you here on this thread and many other young women have actually taken "the harder courses" in science and math because of Sam Carter. An imaginary character was able to raise the bar and promote the dreams and competencies of women! Amanda feels strongly about this, of that I am sure! So let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater in these troubled times. Hold to this thought: Amanda is a strong woman who now has a daughter of her own! We have to trust that she is capable of knowing how and when to decide whether the character she plays is remaining true to expectations and keeping the integrity alive.

Like many of you, I am quite disappointed and upset of where the season seems to be going and the lack of respect given to one heckuva fine person and actor! This is my beef though, not necessarily hers. I cannot cross that boundary and be privy to her personal life and decisions. So, where does that leave me?

The writers/producers have pushed us between a rock and a hard place. We want to support and see what becomes of Sam/AT, but we have to stomach the trivialization and sexualization of women through the characterization of Vala. Some will just turn off the television and others will continue on, hoping for an upturn. By S10, many will just walk away from it all if there is no positive development/arc for Sam and, thus, no further role modeling for women. There is so little on that vast wasteland worth emulating, and the loss of Sam Carter as a strong soldier/scientist/leader will just add further to the nihilistic environment. How sad and what a waste of a beautiful talent!

Samandans, be thankful for the wonderful ride we've had so far with such a talented lady and keep her in your thoughts and prayers. I think Amanda needs to feel our support more than ever these days ... and just know that we want her to be happy and fulfilled in her choices whatever they may be!

So, be well and hold on to your own special memories of scenes and episodes that made Sam shine for you! Take out your anger and frustration in the lab, in the classroom, in the boardroom, in the gym and on the playing field! As they say, "living well is the best revenge"! The world needs all its Sam Carters! We resonate with this character because each of us, in our own way, has felt a personal connection on some level.

We are all better for having seen Sam show us what it looks like to be a fully functioning female at the top of her game! She'll always be a winner in our "red book", the SaGC Collection!

Stepping down from soapbox now ... plop! Peace, CG
        Great stuff, CG. Of course, I can't rep you... so help yourself to some extra turkey instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
          Yes, but thats cheating

lol
          <snipt>
          Yes, but if Vala fans think it is good to emulate Vala the same way Sam fans think it is good to emulate Sam, then cheating is entirely permissible.

As long as something is in your own personal interest then it is permissible and forgiveable.... its the new Stargate SG-1 mantra. And here I always thought that was the NID's mantra. my bad.
          Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Hey Samandans! I just wanted to drop by and say I'm back from the FS con and that I was able to meet up with txaslady! Twas a pleasure to meet and chat with ya txaslady! We'll have to meet up again sometime!

Now...as most of you know...Ben Browder was at the con. I am happy to say he had nothing but high praises for our wonderful Amanda and the rest of the cast/crew of SG1. Ben's a great guy and really means what he says. He said (as I'm sure another Gate fan has said - too lazy/buzy to read the backlog here) that Amanda is wonderful to work with. Yes, I'm paraphrasing cause Ben had me laughing so hard I'm lucky I can remember anything he said.

Just a note: if any other Gate fans go to a con with him there...don't ask him to spoil for you...he won't do it, no matter how many times or ways you ask. He's not that kind of guy.

Maybe during the holiday weekend we "Yanks" have this weekend I'll be able to post more...that is if I can stand being on dial-up. LOL
            sigpic
            I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

I haven't done these in a while, but we need a little entertainment, right? Guess the episode and the person or persons that Sam is talking to.

Click here to listen.

Click here to listen.

Click here to listen.

NC

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan
                Yes, but if Vala fans think it is good to emulate Vala the same way Sam fans think it is good to emulate Sam, then cheating is entirely permissible.

As long as something is in your own personal interest then it is permissible and forgiveable.... its the new Stargate SG-1 mantra. And here I always thought that was the NID's mantra. my bad.
                No, no, no, that's a perfect explanation. The NID kept the mimic devices and all this is the result of a big complot. What we're actually seeing aren't the real SG1 characters, they're NID agents wearing the mimic devices.

Comment

Originally posted by NearlyCircular
                  I haven't done these in a while, but we need a little entertainment, right? Guess the episode and the person or persons that Sam is talking to.

Click here to listen.

Click here to listen.

Click here to listen.

NC
                  First one, she's talking to Jonas in Nightwalkers.

Second one, to Brat'ac in Threshold.

And I have no clue for the third one.

Comment

Originally posted by NearlyCircular

Click here to listen.

Click here to listen.

Click here to listen.

NC

Okay at home on dial-up it is taking forever for a page to load today

No. 1
                    Spoiler:
                    Jonas in "Nightwalkers"

No.2
                    Spoiler:
                    Bra'tac in "Threshold"

No.3
                    Spoiler:
                    Gareth in "Icon"
                    My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by Lys
                      First one, she's talking to Jonas in Nightwalkers.

Second one, to Brat'ac in Threshold.

And I have no clue for the third one.
                      Third one is from Icon.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc
                        This is just my opinion on JMs non-answers, it is not a response to anything specific anyone here has said in regard to the AJM thread issues but there seems to have been a discussion started when Dancer and I were recently discussing my posts at the AJM thread and I just want to be clear on my position:

I feel absolutely no sympathy for Mr. Mallozzi - he comes here and to the blog and to Solutions, and anywhere else he is, of his own accord. Granted some of the people are way out of line and should actually seek professional therapy, however, it is his choice to come and it is his choice to post (he even says he ignores the real whacked out posts anyway). He reads the forums and he knows there is definitley trouble (a lot more trouble than in past seasons) with how the fans are reacting to the show in general -- there is a lot more legitimate disppointmnent and a lot more legitimate criticism being heaped on the show, the characters and TPTB, across the boards so he knows what he is in for before he even gets involved. He has the same right everyone else has - don't visit, don't read and don't post.

In addition, and someone way back when on this thread put up a wonderful post that expressed a similar sentiment, I as a fan and, up until recently, a loyal Friday-night watcher of this show who has in fact spent $$ (hard earned $) on DVDs of the first 6 seasons, has every right in the book to voice my disappointment and my criticism and if he chooses to open himself up in public forums then he better be willing to stand the heat or he should get out of the kitchen.

My issue is with what he posts and how he posts it. My position on this is even stronger now than it was a few days ago because I have now had an opportunity to read his solutions posts and he has once again managed to lower my level of respect for him.

In my opinion his posts here on the AJM thread have always been the same, non-answers, word games, snarks, condescending, arrogant and attitudinal in that he seems to be saying more often than not - you should love it because we tell you to love it and if you don't love it there is something wrong with you. I started posting questions as a lark because I could see the games he was playing (or I thought he was playing based on what I know about media-training, etc., so I may be one that falls into the category of giving him too much credit) so when I post a question it is almost always based on, and often uses, his own words and language to frame the question. He clearly does not like to be challenged that way and he clearly does not like to respond to legitimate, hard questions that challenge him using his own words. He is contradictory and he is inconsistent and I use the inconsistency and contradiction from his posts to craft new questions.

I may be ticked at what, IMO, they have done to the show that has dragged it to the bottom, and I may be ticked at what they have done to Carter, but I am pretty sure I do not feel angst (a nuerotic feeling of anxiety and depression -- I have my RL, including my lousy job, to make me angsty). I do not get depressed or neurotic about this show - JM ticks me off he thinks he's so smart and his posts often give the impression he thinks the fans are stupid (same impression cooper gives me, as well as many other of TPTB, especially recently). We are not stupid, I know it and you all know it and my questions are ones that, at least at one pont, I enjoyed posting because they were right back in his face the way he tries to get in my (or others') face with his games and rhetoric.

When he does not reply to certain of my questions, or when he replies in a snarky, arrogant or trivial fashion, I have my answer. It is clear indication to me that he is not up to the challenge or the hard questions. Some may say that there may be things he cannot say - I am pretty sure that with most of my questions he could give an honest, legitimate answer if he wanted to without giving away any state secrets that would bring down the franchise, instead he chooses to be manipulative, arrogant, snarky, condescending and sarcastic, or all of the above.

Some of my questions can be seen as snarky -- some of them are (I find that my questions take on a snarky tone when I do a follow-up to a snarky post he makes to me) but I always try to be respectful and I admit some of them, especially those that turn his own words and inconsistencies around to him as questions, give me great pleasure to post because I hope he "gets it" - I think most of you "get it" (maybe I give him too much credit and he doesn't get my questions and that's why he ignores some of them or gives snarky, condescending, trivial, manipulative, etc., etc., non-answers to others). I will only post for a good reason with a legitimate question and if he ignores it the first time I may delete it and post it again, as the Forum rule allows.

Sorry to go on but this is a subject that I want to make sure I am clear on - I am playing JMs game, or at least I thought I was until recently - he may not be playing a game and he may not get it, he just may be snarky, condescending, manipulative, etc., etc. I am tired of playing, just like I am tired of the show - it all takes too much energy and with what is going on in RL right now I've got more important things to deal with so I'll ask my next question once I have it the way I want it (maybe I'll even take out the snark and make it sugar coated just for the heck of it), and see where it goes - after that who knows, really, who cares.
                        OK, speaking as a (relative) outsider, here's my take on this.

I recently paid a visit to the aforementioned thread, because someone close to me had posted a question. The impression I came away with from my (admittedly brief) visit is that a certain somebody is just taking the proverbial out of the people who have invested their hard-earned money in DVD's, books, going to cons, etc. connected with the show.

IMHO, if TPTB aren't prepared to reply to the concerns of the fans with the same degree of dignity and honesty shown by (the majority of) those fans, then they simply don't deserve them, or their respect.

So stuff 'em, I say. Leave them to drag the show down to the lowest common demonimator, and, in the process, lose the intelligent, dedicated fanbase they have.

The unfortunate thing is, they probably won't / don't care.

Comment

Poz! Sorry no greenies but that poem so works!

Just sayin', loved it!
                          MISSION: STARGATE REWATCH 2011-2012 ENGAGED DONE!
                          sigpic
                          Beware Helen Magnus - Doctor of A$$-Kicking

Comment

Originally posted by tsaxlady
                            Yay the forum is finally loading at a decent speed for me

Yeah we did have fun with the episode guessing -

Well for my 1300th post it's pure fluff

tsaxlady, congratulations on 1300! And lovely collage, too.

Just sayin', keep on rolling on!
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                              Yes, but thats cheating

lol

Only one problem, you had Sam and Shep calling each other Lieutenant They'd refer to each other as Colonel
                              Agent_Dark, Thanks for the heads up!
                              Just sayin', dang ranks...
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Traveler Enroute1
                                Agent_Dark, Thanks for the heads up!
                                Just sayin', dang ranks...

But then again we have this from the Solutions site about their Vala poll:

23 November 2005: Unfortunately, our IP logs are showing multiple re-voting from a few IP addresses on the new Vala poll. Those votes have been removed from the totals. We don't want to have to police our polls, which after all are just for fun, but we don't want them used for political purposes, either.

Something tells me that the vote wasn't going in favour to the common thread and they where removed. Florida anyone?

Comment

Working...
                                X