Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by binkpmmc
    What I do not get is how TPTB can see S9 as one of the greatest, or even good, it is so far below standard that it leads me to believe that they themselves have lowered the bar to a level that is underground. I certainly see it that way - S9 can, IMO, be defined in one word thus far - horrendous (and not in a good way). Eps 19 and 20 bode even worse I fear. TPTB seem to have traded in quality for cheap fun to determine whether their show is good or not.
    I don't think they really do see it that way. I think they're marketing it that way and I think that's how they sold their idea to the network so they wouldn't get axed. Unfortunately, I think the proof of that is in the increase of viewers who "love the sexual elements" and don't get (nor care to get) the techno-aspect of the series. Naturally, you now have the writers making assanine statements about not caring for the techno-elements either. They really should have just renamed the damn show, fired the old cast and gotten it over with. I know I'm a proponent for positive thinking, and in large part I suppose you simply HAVE to hope there's something remotely better coming down the pipe. But at the end of the day, the truth is still the truth. Lemons are still lemons, whether we make lemonade out of them or not.
    Last edited by minigeek; 22 November 2005, 03:11 PM.

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
    ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

What I do not get is how TPTB can see S9 as one of the greatest, or even good, it is so far below standard that it leads me to believe that they themselves have lowered the bar to a level that is underground. I certainly see it that way - S9 can, IMO, be defined in one word thus far - horrendous (and not in a good way). Eps 19 and 20 bode even worse I fear. TPTB seem to have traded in quality for cheap fun to determine whether their show is good or not.
      I guess they figure if they say it enough times, they might convience themselves that it is so.
      Last edited by Rogue; 22 November 2005, 03:55 PM.
      Odo's last wishes: cremate me, put me in my bucket, then shoot me through the wormhole.

Rogue

Comment

Myrrth--lovely filter!

Jumping on the Sam/Vala wagon for a bit. Here's hoping that a little of Sam rubs off on Vala and vice versa. Sam could afford to loosen up just a little bit and we all know Vala needs a lesson in buttoning down.

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
          I know I'm a proponent for positive thinking, and in large part I suppose you simply HAVE to hope there's something remotely better coming down the pipe. But at the end of the day, the truth is still the truth. Lemons are still lemons, whether we make lemonade out of them or not.
          I have wasted almost 2 seasons now waiting with hope that they would get their heads . . . but alas all for naught. I won't waste much more time in S9 and probably won't waste any in S10 with the vala news - it's too bad because I really did enjoy the show now it's just everyday sci-fi drivel you can catch almost anywhere anytime these days (especially on sci-fi channel- they seem to do cheese best and they want to turn SG1 into cheese and I don't like cheese). It's also a comedy wanna-be which is not attractive on this show (or what it once was).

Anyway, I was positive and optimistic since mid season 7 - now it's all one way and for me that's downhill so I will refrain from posting too often here so as not to bring you all down too.
          Last edited by binkpmmc; 23 November 2005, 09:30 PM.

Comment

I haven't felt much like posting the past two days but have been blown away by the excellent posts that have been made regarding the whole Sam's-future situation. I think you have all spoken well and honestly, albeit most of what has been shared is disturbing and sad.

I think what we all have to remember, here in Samanda, is that Sam is and always will be a great character when she is written as a role model for other women, especially young girls. We know that a few of you here on this thread and many other young women have actually taken "the harder courses" in science and math because of Sam Carter. An imaginary character was able to raise the bar and promote the dreams and competencies of women! Amanda feels strongly about this, of that I am sure! So let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater in these troubled times. Hold to this thought: Amanda is a strong woman who now has a daughter of her own! We have to trust that she is capable of knowing how and when to decide whether the character she plays is remaining true to expectations and keeping the integrity alive.

Like many of you, I am quite disappointed and upset of where the season seems to be going and the lack of respect given to one heckuva fine person and actor! This is my beef though, not necessarily hers. I cannot cross that boundary and be privy to her personal life and decisions. So, where does that leave me?

The writers/producers have pushed us between a rock and a hard place. We want to support and see what becomes of Sam/AT, but we have to stomach the trivialization and sexualization of women through the characterization of Vala. Some will just turn off the television and others will continue on, hoping for an upturn. By S10, many will just walk away from it all if there is no positive development/arc for Sam and, thus, no further role modeling for women. There is so little on that vast wasteland worth emulating, and the loss of Sam Carter as a strong soldier/scientist/leader will just add further to the nihilistic environment. How sad and what a waste of a beautiful talent!

Samandans, be thankful for the wonderful ride we've had so far with such a talented lady and keep her in your thoughts and prayers. I think Amanda needs to feel our support more than ever these days ... and just know that we want her to be happy and fulfilled in her choices whatever they may be!

So, be well and hold on to your own special memories of scenes and episodes that made Sam shine for you! Take out your anger and frustration in the lab, in the classroom, in the boardroom, in the gym and on the playing field! As they say, "living well is the best revenge"! The world needs all its Sam Carters! We resonate with this character because each of us, in our own way, has felt a personal connection on some level.

We are all better for having seen Sam show us what it looks like to be a fully functioning female at the top of her game! She'll always be a winner in our "red book", the SaGC Collection!

Stepping down from soapbox now ... plop! Peace, CG
            Last edited by ChopinGal; 22 November 2005, 04:26 PM.

Comment

Whether it's a lavish feast ...

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11...givingMeal.jpg

or just a cozy meal for two ...

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11...al/SamMeal.jpg

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL OF YOU!!

Jester

Comment

Anyway, I was positive and optimistic since mid season 7 - now it's all one way and for me that's downhill so I will refrain from posting too often here so as not to bring you all down too.
                Ok, I'll just go crawl back under my table now...

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
                  Ok, I'll just go crawl back under my table now...
                  Is that the table of optimism?

/me joins minigeek under the table

Comment

Originally posted by Kirara
                    I have read the news about Claudia Black joining the Sg 1 cast as a fulltime member and I´m fighting now not to feel too bitter and dissapointed. It´s not that I would not have expected it, I have. But I still tried to keep some hope, that this wouldn´t happen. I can´t see that Sam will NOT shoved in the background with Vala around. I mean the first couple of season 9 episodes have shown us how the scriptwirters and directors deal with the situation. When Vala is around nothing else is anymore interesting for them...
                    I haven't seen season nine, but I get what you're talking about from other things I've read. I guess the thing is that Claudia had time to settle into the cast while Amanda was off on maternity leave
                    I have thoght about the reasons why AT had signed the contract despite that she had the chance to choose from some different roles in other shows and movies. And the answer I found was not very comforting. I don´t know if this is true but I have often heard something about RCC saying as MS left Stargate that "he would never find a job in this city again". I supose that the Vancouver TV industrie was meant. I don´t know if there is any truth behind this story but the strange message on AT´s webside one day after the GABIT con made me think... And even if it´s no truth behind this rumour nobody want´s a big worldwide company (or should I better say Behemoth?) as Sony/MGM against them.
                    Hmm. I'd say Amanda signed on because she's a loyal person. She's put a lot into this series, and she probably wants to see it through to the end. There's no doubt she could act rings around most of the Hollywood types, if that was what she wanted to do! I haven't heard the comment about MS, but you know what? That is what the industry is like. Not just tv, but media and entertainment in general. If someone wants to have you blacklisted, they will... I'm hoping that that's not something that's been said to the wonderful Amanda. She's been nothing but a strength to the series from day one. I'm really hoping she gets the chance to direct again. I'm sure she could eventually do as well as someone like Peter DeLuise on the behind the scenes side of things if that was what she wanted to do.
                    The are only two things that comforting me about the whole situation: First that Amanda has now a place on Atlantis (I hope desperatly that BW finds a way to include her in the cast so that her fans and the Atlantis fans can accept it) and the second is that RDA is no longer a part of this all... I begin to believe that he not only left the show because of family reasons (but I´m sure that this was an important part of it) but because this was the only way that he could keep his self-respect...or maybe he had just enough to fight against windmills as he tried to keep at least a little bit of the shows quality... I'm a huge Atlantis fan. I actually like it more than SG1 at the moment. I'm one of the few who doesn't have a problem with Amanda being part of the show, it seems, provided the show retains Joe Flanigan and Torri Higginson at the leads. That's if for me. I'm happy to have her there, but those two are the leads. As for RDA, I think if he was still in the picture, things would be different. Even if he had minimal involvement behind the scenes. From everything I've read, he has a huge amount of respect for Amanda.
                    Anyway --- staying positive --- Amanda's a phenomenal actress. One of my top three TV actressses, along with Torri Higginson and Kelli Williams. Whatever she does, I'll be watching!

Comment

i'm with you kiara. i am looking forward to sam being on atlantis. i like the show just not attached to any of the characters. but with sam there, it will have a greater appeal to me

i do understand how atlantis folks are worried. heck, i think many of us have the same worried it's just vala joining our family instead of sam joining thiers

i do really think that bridge studios is doing what they can to take care of one of thier own. that's why amanda is going to be on atlantis.

she will be a part of a show that has a huge future.

and look at it this way...given the turn that sg1 is taking...do you really want sam on it and tied to it if she's relegated to backup singer and penalized by a lack of lines because she's not racy enough for the 'new and improved' sg1?

i think that they are depending on amanda's versastility adn popularity.

it's not her fault that the writers seem to be incapable of coming up with good stories for her. Amanda can certainly deliver the technobabble, so the fault isn't hers...it appears to rest on the shoulders of writers that don't want to do reasearch (or are stinging by being corrected by a lowly actor one too many times)

She is better than this show adn time will prove that fact
                      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal

I think what we all have to remember, here in Samanda, is that Sam is and always will be a great character when she is written as a role model for other women, especially young girls. We know that a few of you here on this thread and many other young women have actually taken "the harder courses" in science and math because of Sam Carter. An imaginary character was able to raise the bar and promote the dreams and competencies of women! Amanda feels strongly about this, of that I am sure! So let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater in these troubled times. Hold to this thought: Amanda is a strong woman who now has a daughter of her own! We have to trust that she is capable of knowing how and when to decide whether the character she plays is remaining true to expectations and keeping the integrity alive.

You're right, ChopinGal---Very thoughtful posts from so many here.

Something struck me about what you said. I do agree that Amanda is a strong and capable woman, and I think she will be able to know if the character she plays is remaining true to expectations. She wants to emphasize the soldier/scientist side of Sam -- I can only hope that TPTB will go in this direction.

I think AT will fight as much as she can for her character. She obviously wants to continue on Stargate or she would have taken the other series, regardless of Stargate's schedule (although I'm hoping she gets to do this other series too). She chose Stargate -- so I will support her in that decision. She has attempted to fight for her character in the past and sometimes won and sometimes lost:

1) At the very beginning AT suggested how to write Sam as a team member rather than as the female team member-- she won this one

2) Along with TR, she asked that Sam and Janet be friends -- they won this one

3) AT asked for a boyfriend and a little more on her personal life -- she won this one

4) AT asked that she have scenes with Daniel in Full Circle -- they filmed these scenes but left them out -- director's choice won

5) AT has corrected some of the writing of the science aspect of the show -- looks like she won on that one

6) AT questioned RCC in that she felt that Sam and Pete were moving too fast and that she would have never accepted a proposal at that point, nor on the job -- she lost that one

7) She asked in Icon about using hand signals, i.e., show her leadership skills -- she won that one

8) She hoped to lead more in season 8 -- she lost that one

9) AT was glad that Sam did not have any romantic ties with Colson in Covenant (not sure if she asked about this or they dropped it before it got that far)

10 ) AT questioned RCC on the leadership issue with Mitchell in one of the episodes -- seems to have won just that particular instance

11) AT hoped that she would get a chance to lead in season 9 -- she lost that one

12) AT questioned PDL about Jack putting her arm around her in Death Knell. she felt it took away from the whole scene of Sam as a soldier -- she lost that one.

I'm sure there are alot more, but the point is, AT has stuck up for her character as much as she can. She cares about Sam Carter and how she is portrayed. She knows that she has affected alot of girls/women in regard to science (and boys/men in the sense that it is good for them to see a female science/soldier role model). My guess is she will do the best she can again and again this coming season. She won't have a tremendous amount of power really, but I feel confident that she will try.

Sidenote: AT does seem to be fine with how Sam is portrayed in the second half of season 9 -- at least she has not mentioned any problems thus far.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                          i'm with you kiara. i am looking forward to sam being on atlantis. i like the show just not attached to any of the characters. but with sam there, it will have a greater appeal to me

i do understand how atlantis folks are worried. heck, i think many of us have the same worried it's just vala joining our family instead of sam joining thiers

i do really think that bridge studios is doing what they can to take care of one of thier own. that's why amanda is going to be on atlantis.

she will be a part of a show that has a huge future.

and look at it this way...given the turn that sg1 is taking...do you really want sam on it and tied to it if she's relegated to backup singer and penalized by a lack of lines because she's not racy enough for the 'new and improved' sg1?

i think that they are depending on amanda's versastility adn popularity.

it's not her fault that the writers seem to be incapable of coming up with good stories for her. Amanda can certainly deliver the technobabble, so the fault isn't hers...it appears to rest on the shoulders of writers that don't want to do reasearch (or are stinging by being corrected by a lowly actor one too many times)

She is better than this show adn time will prove that fact

So, Sky, your view is that Bridge is really looking out for Amanda. They know they will write in Vala quite a bit, so when that is happening, let's have Sam over in Atlantis, and also give her some stories on SG-1 when she is there?

So do you think that JM meant what he said about having Sam front and center more often this way than if she were only on SG-1?

I agree that they are depending on AT's versality and popularity. I think if they had let her go, the ratings would suffer because she is a key link to the show for alot of fans.

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc

Something struck me about what you said. I do agree that Amanda is a strong and capable woman, and I think she will be able to know if the character she plays is remaining true to expectations. She wants to emphasize the soldier/scientist side of Sam -- I can only hope that TPTB will go in this direction.

I think AT will fight as much as she can for her character. She obviously wants to continue on Stargate or she would have taken the other series, regardless of Stargate's schedule (although I'm hoping she gets to do this other series too). She chose Stargate -- so I will support her in that decision. She has attempted to fight for her character in the past and sometimes won and sometimes lost:

1) At the very beginning AT suggested how to write Sam as a team member rather than as the female team member-- she won this one

2) Along with TR, she asked that Sam and Janet be friends -- they won this one

3) AT asked for a boyfriend and a little more on her personal life -- she won this one

4) AT asked that she have scenes with Daniel in Full Circle -- they filmed these scenes but left them out -- director's choice won

5) AT has corrected some of the writing of the science aspect of the show -- looks like she won on that one

6) AT questioned RCC in that she felt that Sam and Pete were moving too fast and that she would have never accepted a proposal at that point, nor on the job -- she lost that one

7) She asked in Icon about using hand signals, i.e., show her leadership skills -- she won that one

8) She hoped to lead more in season 8 -- she lost that one

9) AT was glad that Sam did not have any romantic ties with Colson in Covenant (not sure if she asked about this or they dropped it before it got that far)

10 ) AT questioned RCC on the leadership issue with Mitchell in one of the episodes -- seems to have won just that particular instance

11) AT hoped that she would get a chance to lead in season 9 -- she lost that one

12) AT questioned PDL about Jack putting her arm around her in Death Knell. she felt it took away from the whole scene of Sam as a soldier -- she lost that one.

I'm sure there are alot more, but the point is, AT has stuck up for her character as much as she can. She cares about Sam Carter and how she is portrayed. She knows that she has affected alot of girls/women in regard to science (and boys/men in the sense that it is good for them to see a female science/soldier role model). My guess is she will do the best she can again and again this coming season. She won't have a tremendous amount of power really, but I feel confident that she will try.

Sidenote: AT does seem to be fine with how Sam is portrayed in the second half of season 9 -- at least she has not mentioned any problems thus far.

Nice post. Amanda's a strong person. It's funny how Sam's always mentioned as a role model, but you know what? Amanda's a strong role model too. She stands up for what she believes in, and fights for what's right for her character.

Comment

I think AT will fight as much as she can for her character. She obviously wants to continue on Stargate or she would have taken the other series, regardless of Stargate's schedule (although I'm hoping she gets to do this other series too). She chose Stargate -- so I will support her in that decision. She has attempted to fight for her character in the past and sometimes won and sometimes lost ...

*** list of AT's interventions on behalf of Sam ***

... I'm sure there are a lot more, but the point is, AT has stuck up for her character as much as she can. She cares about Sam Carter and how she is portrayed. She knows that she has affected alot of girls/women in regard to science (and boys/men in the sense that it is good for them to see a female science/soldier role model). My guess is she will do the best she can again and again this coming season. She won't have a tremendous amount of power really, but I feel confident that she will try.

You've provided an excellent "laundry list" of AT's wins and losses in making Sam true to her conception of the character! Thanks!

And, yes, I am trying to respect the fact that Amanda, herself, is not saying anything negative about the second half of S9 ... so I'm willing to let the episodes speak for themselves and then make my own decision about whether I'll continue watching in S10.

Comment

Actually, she 'won' that one. She was initially concerned that it would come off as way too 'shippy' but after seeing the cut, she was happy that it did actually turn out to be two soldiers simply comforting each other. And I agree

Comment

Working...
                                X