Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skydiver
    things could be very good - course they could suck swamp water too - we'll just have to wait and see.
    I'd feel a lot more copasetic about full-time Vala if I thought that, at least when it comes to Stargate SG(-1)C, TPTB collectively had a handle on the difference between 'very good' and 'hoovering the swamp bottom.'

But, after the first 10 eps of this 9th season, which they've repeatedly trumpeted as being nearly too wonderful for anything less than divinity (and I thought struggled mightily to rise to the level of 'barely so-so), I don't have any certainty that all of them have together can differentiate between a Bhodisatva and a buboe, and I know perplexing the public with propaganda only works so often and for so long. The public starts muttering things about 'lame' and 'stupid' and 'raunchy' and 'boring' after a while, and eventually wanders off to find something finely-crafted, intelligent, well-honed, and engaging, in a word, better, to do with their Friday nights, and only the people who dig over-the-top, raunchy, clad to titillate, brainless fare are left. (And more power to them for finding what they want to watch. ) Maybe there're enough of them to make excellent ratings for the collective PTB's new vision of Stargate SG(-1)C. May they all enjoy making and watching their show, in that case. Maybe someone's given the collective PTB a replacement for the set of books on writing for television and plotting science fiction that they seem to have thrown out before starting on creating season 9, and maybe they've cracked those books, maybe even read them and had a collective, continent-spanning, fist to forehead "D'oh!!!"-in-unison moment. I can hope. But, having seen-the-results-of, and heard the collective PTB in action for season 9, I can no longer expect any such thing.

I am, in the finest tradition of the cynic who expects the worst because all the actual surprises are pleasant thereafter, laying in the books, ogling McSpaddens, Blue Lions, and Cedar Creeks, and preparing to learn flatpicking, fingerpicking and chord-melody style on the six-string dulcimer (yes, we're talking Led Zeppelin on the dulcimer! WooHoo!!!!)(Oh, yeah. I am such a geek ), while Stargate SG(-1)C vacuums swamp muck.

Because I no longer trust them to make watchable television, much less good television, the collective PTB are going to have to pull off the proverbial second coming in the latter half of season 9 in order to keep me as a regular viewer for season 10, and, frankly, I suspect they think they've already given me the second coming in the first half of season 9, regardless of my dissenting opinion on the matter. So... I suspect I'm going to be acquiring a 6-string Schnaufer McSpadden. And breaking out the Led Zeppelin anthologies! (yes, yes - heresy, sacrilege, et cetera, et cetera - but, just like a cool, brilliant, fighter-pilot, kick-*ss, military astrophysicist being a beautiful, occasionally insecure woman, it works for me. )
    ...a very cranky blog:http://simhavaktra.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
      We have a bet, then. Excellent.
      Definitely. If there's a season eleven, Amanda Tapping will be offered another contract to be in it as Sam Carter.

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
      ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
        Definitely. If there's a season eleven, Amanda Tapping will be offered another contract to be in it as Sam Carter.
        As a full-time cast member...

My LJ

Comment

As a full-time cast member...
          Oh, the hairs! But I seem to recall your original wager said:

Originally posted by Strix
          If SG-1 lives past next season, anyone want to take bets on the likelihood of AT being a part of it? I wouldn't...
          I say she'll be part of it. Okay though. Lets take it one step further and say she'll be offered a contract as a "regular" no less valuable than the one she was offered this year.

mini

Comment

Originally posted by Simhavaktra
            I'd feel a lot more copasetic about full-time Vala if I thought that, at least when it comes to Stargate SG(-1)C, TPTB collectively had a handle on the difference between 'very good' and 'hoovering the swamp bottom.'
            Ah, Simhavaktra, lioness of the written word, your rants are eloquent works of art.

Mwwwwwaaaahh. Bravo. Encore!

My LJ

Comment

Oh, the hairs! But I seem to recall your original wager said:

I say she'll be part of it. Okay though. Lets take it one step further and say she'll be offered a contract as a "regular" no less valuable than the one she was offered this year.

mini
              Gads... I had to go back and read my original message! No, no, I'll stand by my original words. If she's a part of season 11, I lose.

My LJ

Comment

Gads... I had to go back and read my original message! No, no, I'll stand by my original words. If she's a part of season 11, I lose.
                Meh. I'll send you a sketch no matter what happens.

Comment

Meh. I'll send you a sketch no matter what happens.
                  I was going to say, "Now where's the fun in that?" And then I came to my senses.

But I will not be outdone in generosity.

Where is everyone today?

My LJ

Comment

<---makes 'L' with thumb and forefinger and slaps forehead

I'll bear the burden of losing with you. I have to run to a "briefing" but wanted to just say SOMETHING about the latest developments.....

Its not that there's not room for two strong smart females who are strong and smart each in their own way. I think they could fit nicely together, but they need writers who can write compelling female characters before they can even attempt to get the two to compliment one another. I'm with Sim, I'm skeptical or the TPTBs/writers who gave us the brilliance of The Ties that Bind or the profundity in Babylon.....

I don't see how this is going to work unless they tone Vala down; the last time I checked Stargate was not about a Space Dominatrix from Ne'tu - it was about a team of people venturing forth through the Stargate on behalf of earth and all humans enslaved in the galaxy.

I am hopeful; however. I'm hoping that the pregnancy will change Vala; I'm hoping they somehow are able to convey the changes that can happen when an independent resourceful woman devoid of emotional connections has a child.

Coley made a good point - as long as people watch that sort of thing they will serve up women in that way. But I do agree that people will tire of it unless they can blow up a sun, er, I mean, walk on water.

So, I beg them, do some justice to our female characters!
                    If you immediately know the ep stinks, the writers were cooked a long time ago

Member of Gategrrlz Gone Wild
                    proud Shore Leave 28 Attendee
                    Naughty Shore Leave 29 Attendee (sorry all but thanks for the rescue. many many thanks)

Carmen Argenziano Appreciation

Comment

Dumb question here...but where does it say that Amanda's signed on to be a regular next season? I only saw that she's re-signed a contract. Contracts are for any kind of commitment...heck, she'd need a contract for one episode.

I *want* to be optimistic. I mean, Spazmeister, SunKrux and myself have been fairly vocal about wanting a great friendship betwixt the two characters of Carter and Vala.

It's just that I currently have less optimism than usual in the PTB to actually have two strong leading female characters at the same time and to portray them well...

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                        Dumb question here...but where does it say that Amanda's signed on to be a regular next season? I only saw that she's re-signed a contract. Contracts are for any kind of commitment...heck, she'd need a contract for one episode.

I *want* to be optimistic. I mean, Spazmeister, SunKrux and myself have been fairly vocal about wanting a great friendship betwixt the two characters of Carter and Vala.

It's just that I currently have less optimism than usual in the PTB to actually have two strong leading female characters at the same time and to portray them well...
                        Uber,

I would love to say I'm wrong. But the facts (at least from where I sit), are that AT had to approach RCC and find out herself why she wasn't included with everyone else when they were asked back.

And I hope that she's playing Sam on SG-1 85%, SGA-15%, so that I'll be able to watch both shows with Sam in them. And yes I hope that TPTB can write two, well actually three (LD, is she coming back?), characters
                        as strong women.

But we shall see.

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                          Pro - Sam and Janet
                          Con - Teyla and Weir

I realise that Janet was never a leading character, but considering she was effectively the only other main female character on SG1 I think she counts

As for Teyla and Weir... Well the Sam and Janet friendship wasn't totally evident from the start (though by the start of Season 2 it was definitely there), so I'm still living in hope for them...

So score 1 but also strike 1. That means I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for making a good Sam/Vala friendship. Again... o.O

Comment

Ok, I'm really sorry but I have to disagree. By no means am I a fan of the Vala character (as you all know). But I don't think Vala is the kiss of death for Carter either.

I think Vala was too over the top for ALL the actors this season. Even her "beloved" Daniel. One snarky thing I read from that MS convention talk was that Vala needed to be toned down because she never gave ANY of them a chance to talk. So if she's not toned down, he'll complain (even if Amanda is too nice to say anything, because - MS isn't ). Apart from that, both actresses have their own sparkle. If Vala is the kiss of death for Carter, it'd mean that essentially any other female regular cast member would be, and I don't buy that.

*snip*
                            Yeah that was the impression I got from reading the con report too. MS made it clear that everyone is well aware that for Vala to work full time, she needs to be toned down. As a fan of Vala I'm really happy about this. I think it'll give the character some room to develop and become more than just a caricature. I don't think of Vala as a replacement for Sam at all. They're just so completely different. The article on the main page stated that AT is also back as a regular so I for one am happy. I can't wait to see the two onscreen.

Comment

Originally posted by Daivy
                              *snip*
                              Oh yeah she's for me also the Patron Saint of Fun, Love and Hapiness.

I hereby nomibate, Amanda Tapping, to greatest Canadian

We have an election for Greatest Belgian, for Canada I nominate Amanda for it, in the Top 10 here in Belgium, no single woman is in it.
                              We actually had a program last year called The Greatest Canadian. Unfortunately AT wasn't on it. If I was doing the list, I'd have put her there though. A couple of the people they did put on the list were just biazrre choices. I don't think there were any women in our top 10 here either.

Comment

Does anyone else feel like they are writing a show to fit a character (Vala) instead of writing a character to fit a show? I think they had already made up their minds concerning how CB would be used on Stargate. Have you ever seen a GUEST star talked up as much as CB? Regardless of having a baby I think that they were having doubts at the end of season 8 as to "what to do with Carter." It's hard to believe how fast they could ruin a show. RDA ...where are you when we need you!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X