X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Qasim
    I was just talking to Forever on MSN and talked to Lys yesterday

Forever let me know that some of you have enquired as to my whereabouts

The day that the Gabit news came out there were two groups of people those that knew what the news was but wouldnt tell us and preferred to just talk about how bad it was etc and everyone else who didnt know

My opinion was that if they were not going to tell us then they shouldnt have said anything at all

Anyway thats in the past now and I would like to put it behind me

I was busy for a while after that and didnt have time to do much at all - the break from fandom was refreshing so I thought I would carry it on for a while

Then I began suffering from insomnia and wasnt getting much sleep so i didnt really have the chance to read up on the goings on here - could someone let me know the main points (positive only) of the last 100 pages!!!!

University has been pretty simple so far but I have two big assignments coming up and then after that the exams will begin

Anyways I probably wont be around much - the chances of me being on as much as I used to be are zero

Take care everyone I will pop in now and then to see whats going on

Qasim.
    Good to hear from you, Qasim. Good luck with your studies and stop in when you can! Perhaps we all should take a speed-reading class to keep up with the fast pace of this thread!

Comment

If AT signs/doesn't sign, all I want is an explaination from her at amandatapping.com, I want to be reassured if she's doing it for herself, and not the party line.

Comment

You know I've been thinking, I'm kind of torn. Right now I am watching both SG-1 and Atlantis. If they bring Sam over to Atlantis full time, then I won't have to watch SG-1. If they're not going to utilize Sam to her full ability send her off to Atlantis. It would be hard, and I'm not sure where she would fit in full time or how she'd fit in with McKay. I still want Sam to get her own command.

I had read somewhere that Sam would be in 10 eps of SG-1 and 10 of Atlantis. Would she still get her full "starring" credit in SG-1? And she'd be "guest starring" in Atlantis.

Comment

Some great posts but I can't rep anyone. No window coming up for me anywhere on the page!!!!

Ta Ta for now!!

Comment

Haha, there's a thread in the General Discussion called sgu???? where basically you make your dream SG team from any SG1 or SGA characters.
            Here's Mine

Comment

Originally posted by Melora
              It seems Joe is answering fan questions over at the Solutions Forum too.

If you want to read his answers, here is the link. I warn you, some of the fan questions are not all that nice to Sam
              *shudders*

Oh man. You're not kidding. I think I need to go take a shower.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
                ...might as well see the glass half full, right?
                Absolutely. It may not be such a bad thing for Carter and SGA.

I'm thinking back to what happened on ST-DS9. It was doing okay in the ratings, but in S3 I believe they brought in Worf from TNG and the show all of sudden gelled and took off.

I'm really hoping that the same my happen with Sam being part of SGA.
                Last edited by KatG; 20 November 2005, 04:53 PM.
                sigpic

Comment

So, am I the only one (sensitive ninny) who felt like JM was somewhat agreeing with the people who were talking crap about GW members?

I mean, I respect him for his diplomatic way of handling some of the oddball Sam questions, of course. That was nice.

But there was something about his tone... Something... I dunno. It kind of annoyed me. ESPECIALLY in the #56 post. "Blue murder..."

I've always looked at JM as a fair guy. He's human, and he probably has to deal with more hollywood bureaucracy than we care to know. Then, he has to deal with ungrateful and hyperactive fans. I respect him for what he does.

Yet I've got a couple questions about his post:

1.) If he TRULY believes we're overreacting, why hasn't he come up with an oh-so-clever and spoiler-free way of proving us wrong? He's a talented writer, so if it CAN be done, why doesn't he?

I'm left to assume that it simply can't be done.

2.) However, if deep down he believes that the VARIOUS fans of ALL persuasions (NOT JUST DEMANDAS) are right about this hinky business, but he's contractually unable to agree with us, why doesn't he just NOT address the issue? Why does he have to go all the way to the other side of the spectrum in a feeble effort of damage control? He, out of any of TPTB, ought to know that online fans are exceptionally good at reading snipe, snark, sarcasm and sh... crap.

It's rather unnecessary and tedious for everyone involved, and I can't help but feel like it's another one of those lovely games...

I wasn't around during The Season That Shall Not Be Named ( ), so I missed JM's reaction to all of the insanity then. I've read/heard that it was rather... condescending...

It feels like history is repeating itself, doesn't it?

Comment

joe is the king of snark. and it's been my observation that, if you're fawning all over him and praising him to pieces he's fine and dandy....but dare to be anything less than total praise and he's definitely not sweet and nice

personally? it wouldn't surprise me if he didn't enjoy baiting folks and getting them riled up
                    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Not putting anything past Joe, because I was around for the Season that Shall not be Named unfortunately, but in this instance I took the comments about "blue murder" to be referring more to the SGA fans that were worried about Sam taking over the show, than the actual Sam fans.

*keeps repeating to self-the glass is half full, the glass is half full, the glass is half full*
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                        joe is the king of snark. and it's been my observation that, if you're fawning all over him and praising him to pieces he's fine and dandy....but dare to be anything less than total praise and he's definitely not sweet and nice

personally? it wouldn't surprise me if he didn't enjoy baiting folks and getting them riled up
                        It's totally within his right to do this. I know that. And I've enjoyed having his insight. Plus, we evidently need him more than he needs us. The blog post numbers and the fact that Danielutions wants him so bad kinda proves that...

But really, the pitting of fanbases against fanbases is a BAAAAAD idea in the long run. Pitting anti-shippers against shippers, daniel fans against sam fans, cam fans against sam fans, vala fans against sam fans and atlantis fans against sg-1 fans? BAD PLAN. I mean, it's pretty amusing, and must be even MORE amusing to watch, but it's just a baaaad plan. BAD.

Did I mention it was a bad idea?

And we won't go into the fact that the controversies include Sam/AT again. That speaks enough to how integral she is to the show.

Comment

yes, pitting one side against the other is bad form. and i think it's something that joe has a habit of doing...consciously or not. i'm not accusing him...i'm just noting that many of his comments seem pitched to further inflame things rather than to calm them down.

instead of pouring oil on troubled waters he's holding a match
                          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                            Haha, there's a thread in the General Discussion called sgu???? where basically you make your dream SG team from any SG1 or SGA characters.
                            Here's Mine
                            KUDOS! A female SG1 unit! That's hot, Agent_Dark, in more ways than one! Love that you've included a couple of well known but heretofore unrevisited characters and yet to be developed ones.

Just sayin', what a show that would be! *sigh* If Only. And on this my last post until I return home to my own computer!
                            MISSION: STARGATE REWATCH 2011-2012 ENGAGED DONE!
                            sigpic
                            Beware Helen Magnus - Doctor of A$$-Kicking

Comment

spoilers for s8's zero hour

Originally posted by jckfan55
                              This is the way I interpreted that scene. She says she wants to talk to him about something & *he* launches into her performance review. I think she was just going to talk to him about the zpm but since he brought up the review, she sees it as a chance to check in with him about the decision on the planet. He is her mentor, after all. But I hated that whole questioning herself aspect. Heck--she got command of a mission as a *Captain* in "Spirits" (not a fav. episode of mine) and seemed more confident. Why should she be less confident now? There was no need to have any question of whether Sam felt confident & Gen O'Neill was confident in her unless, as you say, they then made it very clear that she was completely competent as CO of SG1.
                              i felt the reason she was questioning her decisions were a- because o'neill was hesitant to let her lead alone, and b- when she went out alone (with daniel and teal'c), something happened.

NOW, to put together just what happened:

1 - i felt the *only* reason jack questioned letting her out alone with teal'c and daniel was that he was used to being there himself and was worried about 'them'. i don't believe for one minute that he didn't trust her judgement and skills, only that he was letting his kids out on their own for the first time basically. but i think sam took it personally and it might have messed with her head a bit.

2 - sam didn't feel that the sg team that accompanied them was needed, so she left them behind at the gate. she, basically, believed it was a simple enough mission. then something happened. BUT, it would have happened anyways if that sg team had went with them, but they might have seen it happen. but because of sam's state of mind (jack questioning her and her not really understanding the underlying reason), she prob over compensated when she left that team behind.

so i can see her wondering if she'd made the right decisions, seeing as jack was hesitant to let her out in the first place. but i truly feel that jack's attitude at the end let sam know that she hadn't done a bad thing and that her skills and judgement *saved* her and her team.

i also think it was 'proof' to jack that his team was going to be alright (under sam's leadership).

i totally agree with whoever said that this should have been the starting point of seeing sam's evolution as sg1's leader. she was a bit rocky at the beginning (jack, inadvertently, messing with her head), but was in for a wonderful learning experience.

which the show didn't explore.

wasted opportunity.

just my opinion.

sally
                              sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by KatG
                                Not putting anything past Joe, because I was around for the Season that Shall not be Named unfortunately, but in this instance I took the comments about "blue murder" to be referring more to the SGA fans that were worried about Sam taking over the show, than the actual Sam fans.
                                Because of the example he used in defense (Mitch Pileggi), I have to agree. Carter fans might not know who Caldwell is, and the defense Joe used was that bringing Mitch/Caldwell on board as a semi-regular recurring character didn't damage anything and Carter would have less backstory to provide for than Caldwell; ergo it seems to me he was responding to those who felt Sam Carter would somehow damage Atlantis.

Joe also seems to have been agreeing with the fans over on that board that Carter's character had too many "personal" stories dealing with non SG-1 related issues. That's a bit mercurial if you ask me, because Joe was the champion of several of those episodes, and wrote on a few as well.

Group-think culture affects us all, however. Look at us here on the boards. We tend to ebb and flow with the tidal force of whatever emotion is strongest at any given moment. Mallozzi's group over with TPTB have their own group-think-culture and they have their own group-snark sessions (likely about the fans) and he doesn't seem as steadfast in his convictions as he could be, therefore his POV is likely to keep changing as the story-arc does. To use Joe's own (preferred) phraseology:

"Watch for his prevailing opinion to sway back and forth multiple more times before his tenure on SG-1/Atlantis comes to an end."

He's certainly no special force of nature when it comes to his (public) strength of conviction. And he as much as admitted on that 'solutions board that he won't publicly express his real opinion if he thinks it could get him into trouble. So he'll continue as he always has. Pointing out out the obvious (like the fact that some fans WERE overreacting [his blog had really crazy Carter fans posting wacky threats in it too, not just the sane, level-headed kind of fans we get in this forum]). And he'll also continue to try his best to defend whatever direction the prevailing winds are going in over in production-land. So ...... read the man's commentary with a container of salt, if you choose to read it at all.

mini

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                                ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Working...
                                X