Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AGateFan
    I still cannot see how any of you can see having Carter as a recurring character on both shows is a good thing. Unless you saying its good for AT as she will clearly now have time to do other work.
    But the thing is I don't actually think see her as reccuring on any show.

Regular on SG1 - same as always
    Guest on Atlantis - not recurring.

Comment

Hey now, as a pessimist you soften the blow for when they do crush your hopes. But if you are wrong you are pleasantly suprised, which is always a nice feeling.
      I think this is why I'm such a natural pessimist. If you expect the worse all the time, you can't be disappointed, only surprised by the good things.

"But that man who has known the immense unhappiness of losing a friend, by what name do we call him? Here every language is silent and holds its peace in impotence." ~In memory of Whistler84...loved and missed but never, never forgotten. Safe journey, my dear friend. Love you.

HIC COMITAS REGIT How long until Shore Leave 29???

Comment

Like Skydiver, I don't for a second believe that Rob Cooper, Brad Wright, or any of the other folks involved with Stargate are maliciously trying to remove Amanda Tapping from the show. But I'm not entirely buying the company line that this proposed crossover is to "maximize" Carter's potential. The fact of the situation is that they only have 42 minutes to tell their stories. Like it or not, when cast members continue to be added to either show, it necessitates a reduction in screen time and development for other characters. If Sam goes to Atlantis and plays the part we all hope she does, then someone on Atlantis is going to suffer.

I'll also concede that a goodly-sized portion of my trepidation with this is based upon how poorly they managed to include everyone else when Claudia Black did her "guest spot" on SG1. I think most fans would agree that her inclusion in the stories resulted in a marked decline in the participation of both Teal'c and Mitchell, and I see no reason to assume that this won't be the case when Sam guests on Atlantis. The selfish part of me demands that she be given the same amount of (read "too much") screen time as Claudia was, but the sensible part of me knows it wasn't good for SG1 and that it won't be good for Atlantis either.

And while I think it's a lovely sentiment, the idea that Sam Carter is being set up to be the "gel" that ties the two Stargate Universes together is far too rosy of an outlook for me. I'm not a pessimist; cynical and overly pragmatic, yes, but not a pessimist. Right now I'm hoping for one or two episodes of Sam in Atlantis, with the smallest reduction possible in her SG1 screen time. And strangely, I find the idea of both Daniel and Sam on Atlantis together far more palatable than having them each take solo sojourns. Sadly, I'm pretty sure that's about as likely as Cassandra making an actual appearance any time soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
          But the thing is I don't actually think see her as reccuring on any show.

Regular on SG1 - same as always
          Guest on Atlantis - not recurring.
          If this is true I will be a happy, happy person. Its the other possibilities that make me worry for my favorite shows.
          Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

You know there really isn't that much we can do outside of "wait and see". Personally I'm going to fall in the positive pool on it (the one with the fish in it!) and give them a chance to do it before I judge it.

I still think it was a crappy series of events for Amanda to go through over the contract thing and I'll stand by that view. I've been there, it's not fun, but it's possible they've made it up to her, or it was a misunderstanding to start with.

That aside, for me Carter is the reason I watch this show and I remain hopeful she'll be treated with the respect she deserves in the fashion of the history of the show.

Disclaimer: Some of the above may be blind hope, however it's all we have right now!
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Coley
              Is there anything wrong with the green system? I click on the icon and I just get sent to the top of the page????
              that's not the only thing that doesn't work. i can't subscribe to a thread now, or send private messages to ppl unless i've saved one of their old ones to read/use again.

sally
              sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Coley
                Err just spotted this on Joe's Blog. Is this a joke - I don't often go to his blog. So of this guy is a scientist in SG1 does that leave Sam out of SG1?

There are currently no plans to introduce Dominar Rygel XVI as the new sassy, straight-shooting alien/scientist team member. Okay, this one has some basis in truth. We did, in fact, contact his representatives about the possibility of his coming aboard, but reached an impasse when Rygel insisted he be granted a bigger trailer than Ben Browder's. There were suggestions of a on-going feud between the two dating back to their Farscape days, so the negotiations were shelved. For the time being.

Is he winding us up?
                who or what the hell is a dominar rygel xvi?

sally
                sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal

sally
                  Think Kermit the frog with Miss Piggies disposition.
                  Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by KatG
                    Eventually, when he gets around to it. And be prepared for very vague answers.
                    or to be ignored.

sally
                    sally

sigpic

Comment

Hey now, as a pessimist you soften the blow for when they do crush your hopes. But if you are wrong you are pleasantly suprised, which is always a nice feeling.
                      Very true. Here's hoping the optimists will be rewarded for their good faith and the pessimists (as well as the pragmatists) will be pleasantly surprised!

I happen to love quotes and here are some fun ones about this subject. BTW - sorry if you find quotes annoying.

For our pragmatists (i.e. Golfbooy) -

"Skepticism: the mark and even the pose of an educated mind." - John Dewey

For our optimists and pessimists (not to be taken seriously ) -

"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true." - James Branch Cabell

"A pessimist is one who feels bad when he feels good for fear he'll feel worse when he feels better." - Anonymous (no not the one posting on Joe's Blog)

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark

JM's answers were interesting. Especially the 'I would say thats an extreme interpretation of events' in response to a 'Sam Hating' question. He also pointed out that he thinks the uproar over the Sam on Atlantis thing was unjustified (which I kinda agree with). He said that'd basically be something similiar to what Colonel Caldwell does in Atlantis, something which I suspected anyway.
                        i didn't suspect it, because i don't know what the heck he does there. (i don't know him at all)

sally
                        sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Melora
                          Hey All!

It seems Joe is answering fan questions over at the Solutions Forum too. He addressed the very question you have been discussing over the past few posts (whether Sam will be a guest star, etc.). He stated that Sam will be more like a "guest" character on SGA and compared it to the size of role Mitch Pileggi played this year.
                          If you want to read his answers, here is the link. I warn you, some of the fan questions are not all that nice to Sam . It is interesting to see how Joe responded to some of them.

http://forums.delphiforums.com/sg1so...ssages?msg=799

Joe's answers start at message #30. The answer about Sam's role on SGA is #56.

What do you want to bet this will also be her status on SG-1.

What do you want to bet this will also be her status on SG-1.
                          which means i'll be watching *both* shows in this manner: taping them and then fastforwarding to the sam parts. jee, how fun.

not.

sally
                          sally

sigpic

Comment

regarding what Joe M. said on the solutions (yuck) forum: That's your problem Joe, you don't SEE it. Having an established star of NINE years doing crossovers to another show; even a closely related spin-off, is pure 100% grade F wisconsin CHESSE. It's so cheesey! And if they don't already know that, well. I have to ask myself what are the real reasons why they want to do this. The answers are not so good. I think RCC wants his Stargate: Command show so bad that he'll do anything to obtain that goal; including throwing Carter under a preverbal bus. What better way than put Carter in an inter-galatic limbo. IMO, this is another step towards deconstructing SG-1 for a "new" show. Having Mitch P. on Atlantis and having Amanda on Atlantis, it's not even in the same ballpark. Come on Joe, I think your blowing smoke in our eyes. And why all this PR biltz right now, if it's only rumors?? Me thinks there's something rotten in Denmark. Amanda Tapping is Stargate; not an old shoe to be cast out the moving car window.

Comment

Fly-by post! I've been away all day,
                              but I wanted to take one more opportunity
                              to remind everyone who's interested
                              that they're invited to Sunday's S/J Ship Event:

Comment

Dominar Rygel XVI is a Farscape character. Flying puppet with a greed complex and on demand morality. He was great fun!!

Originally posted by majorsal

sally
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X