Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KatG
    I guess it depends on what Amanda wants out of her career. She may well be content at the moment to do another year, even if it is split between the two so that she can spend more time with Olivia. Also, the news coming as it did at the last moment, maybe she figures that it will give her more time to check out her options and look for something else that will let her have the same kind of "perks" she now has as far as Olivia goes.

Now, if Whistler pans out, and she can do it while still doing SG-1/SGA, it would broaden her opportunities, while still allowing her the security of a sure thing. Then maybe by the end of next season she can cut SG-1 loose.

Just trying to be positive here.
    And it was a great post - Cheers KatG! I hope Amanda gets what she wants - as much as anyone can anyway!!

Also thanks to Strix for levelling us on the Joe issue - we are sometimes clouded by our angst!!

Comment

IMO, splitting Sam between the two shows is not a good idea either for the character or the actress (except that it might be worked to give her more time at home, but I haven't read anything about that aspect as yet). In regard to Sam, we already know that Cooper doesn't know what to do with the character--WTH???--and I think this will just marginalize her more. She can't really get any long-term storylines in either universe, if she's hopping back and forth between them. She clearly will lose even "co-leadership" of SG1, but they can't put her in command of anything in Atlantis if she isn't going to be there full-time. The Daedalus, to me, makes no sense, as it calls for a straight-on combat leader, rather than someone who is also a valuable scientist.

Atlantis doesn't need another scientist; Sam would just be a fifth-wheel there. (When you think about it, if they are adding Vala full time, Sam would end up being the "fifth-wheel" on SG1 as well.) And I see her being used essentially as a foil for McKay--but since this is "his" show, he'd be the center of that, not her. Plus, we'd have to suffer through his repeated romantic fantasies.

As for AT: I think it would give her less to do on either show, and certainly less of a strong, emotional nature, as the character would be surface for both shows, rather than heavily involved in a particular arc. Personally, I think that if she has other offers, she should act on them (to be honest, I don't think staying with the show at this point is helping *anyone's* career).

J.
      "He's an amazing man. After everything he's done, he's still modest. Quite self-effacing actually. He even likes people to think he's not as smart as he is. Bottom line, he's an incredibly strong leader who's given more to this program than any man has given to anything I can imagine."

Comment

Originally posted by DarkQuee1
        IMO, splitting Sam between the two shows is not a good idea either for the character or the actress (except that it might be worked to give her more time at home, but I haven't read anything about that aspect as yet). In regard to Sam, we already know that Cooper doesn't know what to do with the character--WTH???--and I think this will just marginalize her more. She can't really get any long-term storylines in either universe, if she's hopping back and forth between them. She clearly will lose even "co-leadership" of SG1, but they can't put her in command of anything in Atlantis if she isn't going to be there full-time. The Daedalus, to me, makes no sense, as it calls for a straight-on combat leader, rather than someone who is also a valuable scientist.

Atlantis doesn't need another scientist; Sam would just be a fifth-wheel there. (When you think about it, if they are adding Vala full time, Sam would end up being the "fifth-wheel" on SG1 as well.) And I see her being used essentially as a foil for McKay--but since this is "his" show, he'd be the center of that, not her. Plus, we'd have to suffer through his repeated romantic fantasies.

As for AT: I think it would give her less to do on either show, and certainly less of a strong, emotional nature, as the character would be surface for both shows, rather than heavily involved in a particular arc. Personally, I think that if she has other offers, she should act on them (to be honest, I don't think staying with the show at this point is helping *anyone's* career).

J.
        Very good points! I'm torn between hope and reality...

Comment

Originally posted by Coley
          Also thanks to Strix for levelling us on the Joe issue - we are sometimes clouded by our angst!!
          Just because I don't feel any sympathy for Mallozzi doesn't mean my thinking is somehow "clouded".

Comment

Hi all

Can someone please point me at the post or whatever it was where sony are saying no-one is indispensible. I've been looking and can't find it.

Thanks

Oh I'm not too sure about a good career move for AT. Depends on her exposure. If she isn't a lead in either show I think she will be detrimented. I'm more wary of her taking a lead role in Atlantis - I don't think they can create enough air time on Atlantis to give her a significant role without reducing the current cast's air time. Why rock the boat. She is loved as Sam Carter in SG1. From what MS has said Sony is determined that a core of 4 actors will not dominate the show - so it bodes bad for all of them I think. MS may actually not be all that enamoured with playing Vala's stooge. He may have prefered the writers to increase his storyline with other actors - Teal'c/ Sam or Mitch for instance.

My own opinion is still that Amanda is so much more than SG1 and it may be better for her to seek other roles before the casting peeps begin to think that Sam Carter is all Amanda herself thinks she can be. I will be sad I will have lost my fave Sci Fi character - however I firmly feel I have lost that already
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by parsifal
              Just because I don't feel any sympathy for Mallozzi doesn't mean my thinking is somehow "clouded".
              Hmm...

I know I get clouded by the angst. Maybe Coley was just talking about herself and me?

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
                Hmm...

I know I get clouded by the angst. Maybe Coley was just talking about herself and me?
                Since Strix was responding to my message, I figured I was among those who are 'off-level'.

Comment

Originally posted by Myrth
                  Hi all

Can someone please point me at the post or whatever it was where sony are saying no-one is indispensible. I've been looking and can't find it.

Thanks
                  I believe that information is quoted from something MS said at the San Jose Con. I believe I may have read something about it on Mazzmatazz's LJ as well as several others that I can't recall off the top of my head.

Kat

Comment

Originally posted by parsifal
                    Since Strix was responding to my message, I figured I was among those who are 'off-level'.
                    Sorry Parsifal, I wasn't trying to stir up any hard feelings with my post. Knowing her, I'm sure Coley wasn't either. Uh... for clarification, the whining, griping, *****ing comment was referring to the ruder comments directed at Joe on his blog, not at you or anyone personally.

My LJ

Comment

For my own interest I asked a few pages back who is watching Atlantis? I know very little about the show. I thought if Sam was going to be making an appearance I might need to catch up. I watched a few episodes last year and I haven't watched any this season. Some of you think it's better then SG-1 right now. Others of you just watch when you can. So for the unofficial Atlantis Watching Poll

Watches SG-1 and Atlantis
                      Suzotchka
                      minigeek
                      Jckfan55
                      Chocdoc
                      ChopinGal
                      Skydiver
                      KatG
                      Strix varia
                      Dark Queen1
                      AGateFan
                      NowIWillDestroyAbydos
                      AgentDark
                      ÜberSG-1Fan
                      LaCroix
                      the dancer of spaz
                      SG1Poz
                      ChevronSeven

SG-1 Only
                      Ann_Sgcfan - seems I may be missing out
                      1speed4Sam
                      Myrth
                      Forever SG-1

Atlantis Only
                      Parsifal

Forgive me if you responded and I missed your vote.
                      Last edited by ann_sgcfan; 18 November 2005, 07:19 PM.

Comment

The Oh Yea Times – Entertainment Page

Just when you thought you couldn’t get through another day. When you thought it couldn’t get any blacker, it’s back, despite no fan base at all, for a one off slot on Radio Samanda. The spectacular radio broadcasting failure – “The Accountant’s Turntable” will once more grace the airwaves with the RA’s own perfectly British and very wry music selection.

There is a veritable feast of tunes to brush lightly over your lobes and to remind us of the current topics of the land.

So Tune in tonight to Samandan Radio on the frequency – once is too often.
                        With apologies, I feel it only fair that I should tell you about the unannounced songs played on Radio Samanda last night(ish).

Oddly, they were all by my All-Time Favourite Band In The World Ever (The Georgia Satellites), and were as follows:-

I Dunno

Games People Play

Don't Pass Me By

Down and Down

Can't Stand The Pain

Bring Down The Hammer

All Over But The Cryin'

Crazy

Another Chance

Yours, currently swimming to the bottom of a bottle of Lagavulin,

1speed

Comment

Originally posted by ann_sgcfan
                          For my own interest I asked a few pages back who is watching Atlantis? I know very little about the show. I thought if Sam was going to be making an appearance I might need to catch up. I watched a few episodes last year and I haven't watched any this season. Some of you think it's better then SG-1 right now. Others of you just watch when you can. So for the unofficial Atlantis Watching Poll

Suzotchka
                          minigeek
                          Jckfan55
                          Chocdoc
                          ChopinGal
                          Skydiver
                          KatG
                          Strix varia
                          Dark Queen1

SG-1 Only

Er, *raises hand* watched one ep of SGA, got a) confused by the number of people in it, and b) hacked off by the way they all had their national flags on their shoulders.

Sorry, but I reckon I'll stick to SG-1, and not get involved with a show that feels the need to signpost the fact that *HE--->* is from Scotland, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkQuee1

J.
                            I agree. By shuffling her between the two shows they think this will give them the leyway to say "look Carters soo important" but at the same time making sure she has absolutly no command rank and taking away any chances of any actual kind of important arch for her character. They will bascially be reducing her role and pretending like its a good thing.

The next thing I expect to hear from TPTB is "well amanda wants to spend more time with her family so we are reducing her to recurring character" and try to make it seem like it is her choice. Thats why I think AT said what she said at GABIT... to head that off. Of course they probably will still say it anyway...and her contract will probably have a "Pickens clause"* in it so she will go along with it... but ultimatly they are just trying to find a way to get her off the show so that they can have some "fun".

*Pickens clause. Carl Pickens was a Bengal wide receiver who signed a big contract with a huge signing bonus and then immediatly started trashing the team so badly that they had too "release" him so he would stop disrupting the locker room. By "releasing" him he got to get out of the contract but still got the huge bonus... From then on out every Bengals contract contains a "pickens clause" which essentially states that if a player says anything bad about the team, teammates or coaches then the entire contract, including bonuses, are revoked.... See that, let me know if you need anymore useless trivia, I got a lots of it
                            Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Suzotchka
                              minigeek
                              Jckfan55
                              Chocdoc
                              ChopinGal
                              Skydiver
                              KatG
                              Strix varia
                              Dark Queen1

SG-1 Only
                              1speed4Sam

I just got my SGA S1 DVDs and am as excited as getting my SG-1 S8 DVDs.

Also, I am already looking more forward to SGA S2 DVDs then to SG-1 S9 DVDs (hopefully the second half of the season will change that.... more prototype please).
                              Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Suzotchka
                                minigeek
                                Jckfan55
                                Chocdoc
                                ChopinGal
                                Skydiver
                                KatG
                                Strix varia
                                Dark Queen1

SG-1 Only
                                1speed4Sam

you forgot, yours truly (aka me)

(51 to go until my custom avatar)
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X