Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn
    As ChopinGal and Coley will attest, I've been struggling with how to deal with this message for several days. I have bad news, but I had to work through an ethical dilemma before sharing it with you. When the three of us reached a concensus on what constituted good judgment in this situation, we decided I should move forward.

Last week, I got this e-mail from Atteria's husband.

I'm sorry I haven't answered you sooner, but I've been unable too. Nikki is no longer with us. I'm sorry to have to bring you such bad news, but she did fight, right until the end.

Please thank everyone in Samanda for their prayers and best wishes. She loved you all.

Take care and please, don't announce this in the site. I don't think she would have wanted anything like this to mar the good feelings on the thread.

John

As you see, John asked me to let you know how much your prayers and good wishes were appreciated, but didn't want the news announced on the thread, because of the chance it would mar the good feelings here. I didn't know how to tell you one thing without telling you the other. But once ChopinGal, Coley and I realized that John's concern was for us, and not for his privacy, we agreed that knowing you as we do, we should use the thread.

I don't have John's address or any other details on what ailment claimed Nikki's life. I don't even know for sure exactly when she died, but I received his e-mail on November 2nd. I propose that today, as we discuss Sam and AT and enjoy the fellowship that is Samanda, that we also remember our friend Atteria, and the fun she brought to our little family.

I find it very strange to be mourning someone I never met in person, but I am. That's the nature of our internet friendships, I guess. Although some of us will meet in person, others never will. But many of us have become friends, nonetheless. And I know we will share a collective sorrow in this loss. Let's also celebrate the fun Nikki brought us, and remember her as the cheerful, caring and brave citizen of Samanda that she was.

That's my final post for tonight. I will rejoin you later in the day. Love to all.
    My work schedule has been hectic lately, so I'm just getting caught up with all the posting when I came across this. Thanks so much for letting us know, my prayers go out to her family. I joined this thread just before Atteria and remember her well and waiting for her return. It brought tears to my eyes to read this, and would like to be included in anything that is done to remember Atteria.
    In the Kingdom of Hope, there is no Winter

Life is too short for drama & petty things,
    so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly & forgive quickly!

Attendee of Shore Leave28, AT2 and AVALON
    Proud Member of the Sam is a Great Character Thread
    Hic Comitas Regit
    Member of the Ship, Ship Hooray Special Ops Team
    Member of Gategrrlz Gone Wild (proud Shore Leave 28 attendee).

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
      Except ... who'd write the message?

"Thanks for nine years of Sam. Here's a scary sketch of you by an obsessed fan. Cheers."

LOL sorry, couldn't help myself!! It popped into my head!

(Actually, she might even get a kick outta that message...)
      Crazy? Maybe, but no more than the rest of us.

Obsessed? Nah? No more than the rest of us.....oh, wait.....

Comment

Well, I think it'd be cool if it went to charity like you suggested earlier. As for original artwork, even if it's of a celebrity, the copyright (of the image) remains with the artist. As long as we didn't use the words "Stargate" or "SG-1" anywhere, an illustration/drawing/painting/cgi piece would essentially be the property of whomever created it. At least, I think so! Where's our Royal Counsel?
        I'm no attorney, but wouldn't the actor have control over their image and how it is used? Especially when someone other than themselves was going to profit from that image and control how it was presented?

I know many of us manip SG screen caps, make videos, and write fanfics and share them at forums like GW or FF archives or our own sites dedicated to SG, but we do this with the assumed blessings of these PTB since I've read there are some fandoms in which you'd best not do a single thing like that lest your site/what-have-you get shut down...

If you do consider doing it, if you don't mind a bit of a suggestion - you might want to touch base with sacme, (http://forum.gateworld.net/member.php?u=198) a forum member who made some merchandise (t-shirts, bags, mugs, etc.) based on some fun times and ideas we'd had on a different thread over a year or so ago. I did a search through her posts, but couldn't get any more of her posts back past 12/04 (DB error it told me), but I'm pretty sure we'd talked about this issue of copyrights and image protection too as she had to do a bit of checking into it to find out what she could legally put up for sale. I remember there was a comment about not being able to use images of the characters/stars amongst other issues . (sacme doesn't post much these days, but she does check the board - she was on yesterday.)

The link to sacme's CafePress site (it is S/J shipper items BTW): http://www.cafepress.com/cp/about_me.aspx?s=shippertown (and as I look through the items again, I notice we stuck to the 'Shipper Cookies' 'Shipper Commune' and other things we'd created on the thread, but we couldn't mention GW, SG, etc.)

Now... that kind of thing could be interesting for the things like Samanda and the Samandan flag that you've created here...
        Last edited by ShimmeringStar; 16 November 2005, 07:22 PM.
        Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
        My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

'nother Carter sketch.
          Enhanced with Photoshop.
          Click it to get to the 'honkin huge version.
          And I do mean honkin' huge!

Huge version looks like this (more of the sketch is visible):
          This is really, really great! And everyone is right, AT would love it, so send it.
          In the Kingdom of Hope, there is no Winter

Life is too short for drama & petty things,
          so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly & forgive quickly!

Attendee of Shore Leave28, AT2 and AVALON
          Proud Member of the Sam is a Great Character Thread
          Hic Comitas Regit
          Member of the Ship, Ship Hooray Special Ops Team
          Member of Gategrrlz Gone Wild (proud Shore Leave 28 attendee).

Comment

Exactly CG!
            LOL! This smiley reminds me of that scene from "A Christmas Story" where Ralphie's friend tests out the old tongue to frozen flagpole theory!
            Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
            My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

To my knowledge, an artist's portrait/rendition of a celebrity doesn't fall under the same pervue as a publicity photograph. I'm fairly certain that as long as you're not representing yourself "on behalf of" the celebrity, you can create as many varied artistic renditions as you like and publicize them as such. As far as I'm personally concerned, I've never sold a portrait to anyone. I do them all for myself or (recently) I share them online here. But I do know of other folks who paint/draw/sketch famous people and sell their work frequently as exactly what it is - a non comissioned artist's rendition of "xxxx name here".

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
              ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by SnoggingPicard
                Regarding AT's status next year, there's a post in the "Teyla Appreciation Thread" that's a con report from a recent New England convention that talks about it. Camy got to see Rachel Luttrell and asked her about Amanda, and it seems that she will definitely be on Atlantis, so there's a good paragraph or so about what's going on with that if you guys want to check it out.
                Thanks, SnoggingPicard! I was curious, so I went there, and the news was interesting. I still haven't figured out how to show a single post, but the post to which SnoggingPicard is referring is on this page:
                http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...t=6649&page=75

Comment

Originally posted by ShimmeringStar
                  If you do consider doing it, if you don't mind a bit of a suggestion - you might want to touch base with sacme, (http://forum.gateworld.net/member.php?u=198) a forum member who made some merchandise (t-shirts, bags, mugs, etc.) based on some fun times and ideas we'd had on a different thread over a year or so ago. I did a search through her posts, but couldn't get any more of her posts back past 12/04 (DB error it told me), but I'm pretty sure we'd talked about this issue of copyrights and image protection too as she had to do a bit of checking into it to find out what she could legally put up for sale. I remember there was a comment about not being able to use images of the characters/stars amongst other issues . (sacme doesn't post much these days, but she does check the board - she was on yesterday.)

The link to sacme's CafePress site (it is S/J shipper items BTW): http://www.cafepress.com/cp/about_me.aspx?s=shippertown (and as I look through the items again, I notice we stuck to the 'Shipper Cookies' 'Shipper Commune' and other things we'd created on the thread, but we couldn't mention GW, SG, etc.)

Now... that kind of thing could be interesting for the things like Samanda and the Samandan flag that you've created here...
                  Yay! The establishment of Shippertown was before my time, and although I have visited it, I couldn't remember who set it up. Thanks, ShimmeringStar!

Comment

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn
                    Thanks, SnoggingPicard! I was curious, so I went there, and the news was interesting. I still haven't figured out how to show a single post, but the post to which SnoggingPicard is referring is on this page:
                    http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...t=6649&page=75

Yes I went to check out the post as well. I don't think we are really going to know much until everyone has signed. Thanks SnoggingPicard for directing us to the post. Rachel Luttrell seems excited about working with AT. I'm sure all the fans are a little nervous until we know more.

Comment

Originally posted by ann_sgcfan
                      Yes I went to check out the post as well. I don't think we are really going to know much until everyone has signed. Thanks SnoggingPicard for directing us to the post. Rachel Luttrell seems excited about working with AT. I'm sure all the fans are a little nervous until we know more.
                      As long as she's not in the Pegasus Galaxy for the 200th episode; I'd hate for Sam to have to "phone in" that one from afar. All though I have to wonder, if it's up to RCC...

Comment

As long as she's not in the Pegasus Galaxy for the 200th episode; I'd hate for Sam to have to "phone in" that one from afar. All though I have to wonder, if it's up to RCC...
                        Are Brad Wright and Robert Cooper are both involved with Atlantis?? I was thinking that Brad Wright was executive producer of Atlantis, while Robert Cooper was executive producer of SG-1.

I know Brad Wright was the co creator of Stargate Sg-1. We don't hear very much from him.

Comment

Are Brad Wright and Robert Cooper are both involved with Atlantis?? I was thinking that Brad Wright was executive producer of Atlantis, while Robert Cooper was executive producer of SG-1.

I know Brad Wright was the co creator of Stargate Sg-1. We don't hear very much from him.
                          RCC is SG-1. So he'd be deciding who was on the 200th episode of SG-1. Is what I meant.

Comment

RCC is SG-1. So he'd be deciding who was on the 200th episode of SG-1. Is what I meant.
                            Ah. Okay. I understand now. So the shipper in me is hoping for a guest star to reappear.

Comment

Ah. Okay. I understand now. So the shipper in me is hoping for a guest star to reappear.
                              Me too! With a ..... revelation, or three.

Comment

Here is the 2nd part.

Jacob's reaction when he finally discovers what she really does.

The moment where Jacob tells Sam he is proud of her just in case the Tok'ra thing doesn't work out.

I think this is the moment where Jacob realizes his little girl is happy with what she is doing. The rough edges are starting to be chipped away. I think this is the turning point for the father and daughter.

Swoopin' in before flyin' out of town!

ann_sgcfan, love your Sam/Jacob pic-essay. The two were so obviously fond of each other inspite of their differences. I loved seeing a bit of Sam's past, and having that past be in the form of her father (imagine the difference if it was her mother who survived...hmmm... ).The chemistry between the actors also showed. Great shots. Couldn't green you (guess everyone got there before me!) So here's some green smilies -

Just sayin', happy thanksgiving to all!
                                MISSION: STARGATE REWATCH 2011-2012 ENGAGED DONE!
                                sigpic
                                Beware Helen Magnus - Doctor of A$$-Kicking

Comment

Working...
                                X