Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jckfan55
    Ok, hold onto your hats--I actually kind of liked the "feelings" scene.
    Ooops. Didn't hold on hard enough. Bye bye hat.

I would say not, but it does make sense in a way. Kegan does say something like "If you hang around with her I won't be your friend." That *is* kind of like rabid fans of Daniel (and probably of others as well--but not Samandans)
    It could be any rabid fan of any character or pairing. I know it happened to me with some of my S/J shipper friends (not any in this thread though).

But back to Sam, I don't think she would ever be like that.
    sigpic

Comment

Ok, hold onto your hats--I actually kind of liked the "feelings" scene. But mostly I liked the other part you said about Sam working to improve things & jack being supportive.

Oh....my....g-g-goodness......

This is it! This is the big one!!!! Quick!!! Where's my dang sarcophagus?!???

*collapses from shock*

...awaiting a kiss from Richard Dean Anderson to revive me...

...still waiting...

...Rick?? Where are you???

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

I would say not, but it does make sense in a way. Kegan does say something like "If you hang around with her I won't be your friend." That *is* kind of like rabid fans of Daniel (and probably of others as well--but not Samandans)
        I watched BTS last night too (on SciFi) and the Daniel/Kegan/rest of the team interactions...

I guess on a sexual and a control level... Sam was a threat to K's limited time with Daniel and K'd rather make issue with another woman over it than to deal with men Jack and Teal'c's size....

But I think I saw it more as K was jealous of Sam encroaching on her turf. Here was this newbie with all these ideas that she couldn't stop talking about and she was 'forward' enough that she constantly approached the boiler plant leader about them. What we considered classic Sam - full of enthusiasm and can do attitude and let's do this to help everyone - IMOHO K saw it on a personal level... Here was someone who was going to upset the status quo and if K had been around for a while, she didn’t want Sam jumping ahead in the pecking order.

I suppose it could be interpreted as the writers acknowledging some the attitudes of some fans, but I’ve always viewed it as an (albeit off-world) acknowledgement that not everyone in the SG universe loved Sam. Numerous times we got to see the team (and sometimes others in the military) appreciate and acknowledge her contributions, but very rarely did we get to see scenes with those who really resented her. (Felger and McKay don’t count- that’s different!!! ) There had to be quite a few off- and on-worlders who, for whatever the reasons, felt very threatened by her intelligence and skill and a number of them likely weren’t afraid to show it to her face.

The viewers were never shown that kind of attitude against her and I think that’s why that particular scene made a big impact on me. And it made sense for the writers to have Daniel, out of all the characters, to be K’s “friend” to make the threat to. He was never big for injustice or personal politics like that and even though he couldn’t remember who he was, he (like Sam as was mentioned earlier in the thread) knew in his heart what his moral code of conduct was and that he couldn’t abide by K’s ultimatum.

At least that’s my 2-cents…
        Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
        My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

I'd imagine that so many of the early fanfic writers had such a hard time with Teal'c because of his lack of screen time. There were times during my earlier days, when I'd completely FORGET about Teal'c, while reading a fic.

Now, though, I find it hard to read one, if they have Teal'c out of the picture. It's the same with ship fics: If they don't address the massive bond between all four characters, I'm out. I can't enjoy the ship...

... Or Sam playing a weepy damsel, for that matter.

*shudder*

Comment

Originally posted by ann_sgcfan
            Here is a thought I had in regard to why AT might be coming back to Stargate this year instead of taking the other series. Now granted she has said how much she loves working with the cast and crew, They are like her extended family, despite recent events.

She gets to take Olivia to work everyday. Therefore, allowing her to be a full time working mom. When the series starts next season Olivia will be one. Throughout the season Olivia will be learning to walk and talk. Chew solid foods. Her personality really starts to develop. As a mother I wouldn't want to miss all these firsts! If she stays at SG-1 then she'll be able to be a part of that and still have a career. Now as her career goes she still gains national recognition from the show. Her name and face is still out there once a week for potential jobs. It'll give her a chance to really start thinking about life beyond the gate. Whether that's producing, writing more shows for her comedy troupe, another series or movies. I'm sure with her still nursing Olivia she doesn't want to be too far away right now. Maybe next year will allow her more time to look for a suitable job, whether that's SG-1 or not.

EDIT: As frustrating as S9 has been and as scary as S10 appears to be, I thought I would send some positive vibes out there. I think AT will try as hard as she is capable of as an actress and not the writers/producers to make the best of it.
            Thanks for the positive vibes, Ann! These are good thoughts and could be motivating her right now. Not having children, I hadn't paused to think of it that way. Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
              She told us at GABIT that she had to first turn down the role with Christian Slater in The Foursome (not what you think - I believe it's actually about four guys on a golf course - Holy Hannah - oh the irony!) ... well, she said "no" because she did not want to cancel for a third time for the GABIT event. But, then, the film-shooting schedule changed and she got the part anyhow! I believe she was coming right back to begin that project. And then that TV movie-of-the-week thingie about a female detective and, hopefully, the role on Whistler. I believe that she plays a mother in Whistler ... of two young boys, one of whom dies in a skateboarding accident. I think she's a mother in Foursome also ... do we see a pattern here?

Warning label on Chopin's post: this is what I seem to remember hearing during the Q&A sessions. Can Kat or Coley or Tone back me up or correct my copy?! Again, all you reading this ... I'm trying to recall some of Amanda's statements ... but I could be wrong on some of this.
              What movie of the week thingie? I bet this is some of the post-GABIT stuff I still need to go back and read. For what network? Canadian or American?

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan

Oh....my....g-g-goodness......

This is it! This is the big one!!!! Quick!!! Where's my dang sarcophagus?!???

*collapses from shock*

...awaiting a kiss from Richard Dean Anderson to revive me...

...still waiting...

...Rick?? Where are you???
                ROTFLOL!!!!!! Über, it's a good thing you weren't holding your breath! It's a long way from Malibu to Tennessee!

EDIT: Dang! I'm here alone again! What to do? What to do? ( * mutter, mutter * ) That's what I get for taking the day off to take Mom to the doctor! Now, I'm online earlier than usual, and no one is here!

Comment

i'm here.

saw beachead. just wonderful to see sam back. i do think she was a tad under used. would have loved to see teal'c actually SAY SOMETHING to her, in way of a welcome back, long time no see, we missed you kind of thing. but in a teal'c way.
                  i can see the potential for a decent sam/vala friendship if the writers (or one particular writer/producer *cou-coop-gh*) would give it a chance.

i was sorry to see vala go, but i was kinda ready for a vala break, at least for a few episodes.

i do think it would have made much more sense for sam to be needed back in last weeks episode. why have vala try to save a villiage single handed when they could have two sets of hands? carter can use the hand device too ya know. unless it was just to say, look vala is actually human, and a pretty great one at that. she has morals, and she can save the world. (note they had her save the world in beachead too, instead of carter). unless the point was to show that they don't need carter now that they can have vala. but they wouldn't do that.... right?

sorry to sound a bit snarky, but the more i think about it, the more it looks that way to me.

i like vala, but i've had 8+ years to grow to love carter (aw heck, i loved her from the start). and i see no good reason why one should have to replace the other. they can co-exist, and be good friends about it. coop,sony, scifi and whoever else should realise that there are more than one type of woman in the world, and different characters will appeal to different people. i can't believe that anybody could be so narrow minded as to think that because they like a character, that everybody should like a character, and that last years flavour of the month so to speak, should be reduced or replaced. how these people have become so successful with this kind of apparent thinking is beyond me.

i am in such a whiny mood tonight, i know, but i really do see it this way the more i think about it, and i really really hope i'm wrong and that they do plan to have them both as cast members of equal importance as it should be with the entire cast. and that they don't have any stupid rivalry's between any of the full time cast. i do love that carter/lee rival dynamic though. that one is fun.

Comment

Ok.....I hate to be a thread hog, but there are two big squall lines heading straight toward me right now, so I may not be able to be online later this evening. There are still a couple of things I still need to share with you tonight.

1. I'll start work on a custom card for Atteria's husband, since that's what most people who've weighed in on the subject seem to want. I'll try to have it for review by the weekend.

2. A fellow Gateworlder named Owen Macri started a thread this week to discuss the rudeness that seems to permeate some of the threads these days. He had a great idea that I wanted to share with you:

"Ok, I thought of something to help add a little more love to the forum and increase the sense of family. (I know everyone doesn't celebrate Christmas, but that was more a metaphor.)

Do something nice for someone else, maybe post a nice message, send a nice pm, give some nice reputation, then instead of having them pay it back, you ask them to pay it forward. So instead of returning a compliment, or reputation, they give out reputation or a comment to someone else that is nice and tell them to pay it forward. As this spreads through the forum it will get bigger and bigger, and soon enough, it will be daily routine to pay forward some nice comments or reputation. I think it would really help, it would add a sense of love to the forum, let people get to know each other, and increase the sense of family, that I think everyone likes."

If you want to see the thread, it's at:
                    http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...54#post4670354

So, I want to start by giving a big compliment to all the citizens of Samanda, the nicest people at Gateworld!!!!! If you think this is a good idea too, please, spread some nice words.....and ask everyone to
                    PAY IT FORWARD.

And finally, since I could be out of service for most of this evening due to bad weather, this little mid-week reminder, for anyone who would like to take part in this upcoming event:

Comment

Bumpity, Bumpity.

Comment

Originally posted by ShimmeringStar
                        I watched BTS last night too (on SciFi) and the Daniel/Kegan/rest of the team interactions...

I guess on a sexual and a control level... Sam was a threat to K's limited time with Daniel and K'd rather make issue with another woman over it than to deal with men Jack and Teal'c's size....

But I think I saw it more as K was jealous of Sam encroaching on her turf. Here was this newbie with all these ideas that she couldn't stop talking about and she was 'forward' enough that she constantly approached the boiler plant leader about them. What we considered classic Sam - full of enthusiasm and can do attitude and let's do this to help everyone - IMOHO K saw it on a personal level... Here was someone who was going to upset the status quo and if K had been around for a while, she didn’t want Sam jumping ahead in the pecking order.

I suppose it could be interpreted as the writers acknowledging some the attitudes of some fans, but I’ve always viewed it as an (albeit off-world) acknowledgement that not everyone in the SG universe loved Sam. Numerous times we got to see the team (and sometimes others in the military) appreciate and acknowledge her contributions, but very rarely did we get to see scenes with those who really resented her. (Felger and McKay don’t count- that’s different!!! ) There had to be quite a few off- and on-worlders who, for whatever the reasons, felt very threatened by her intelligence and skill and a number of them likely weren’t afraid to show it to her face.

The viewers were never shown that kind of attitude against her and I think that’s why that particular scene made a big impact on me. And it made sense for the writers to have Daniel, out of all the characters, to be K’s “friend” to make the threat to. He was never big for injustice or personal politics like that and even though he couldn’t remember who he was, he (like Sam as was mentioned earlier in the thread) knew in his heart what his moral code of conduct was and that he couldn’t abide by K’s ultimatum.

At least that’s my 2-cents…

Great points, ShimmeringStar! You put into words what really got to me about that scene as well! It was very unusual and when I've rewatched this episode, I always found that dynamic and resentment really interesting.

this was a great episode -- all the right elements for a good team episode. Oh, please, may we get some good team episodes in the second half of season 9--pleeeassse.

Comment

Originally posted by ShimmeringStar

But I think I saw it more as K was jealous of Sam encroaching on her turf. Here was this newbie with all these ideas that she couldn't stop talking about and she was 'forward' enough that she constantly approached the boiler plant leader about them. What we considered classic Sam - full of enthusiasm and can do attitude and let's do this to help everyone - IMOHO K saw it on a personal level... Here was someone who was going to upset the status quo and if K had been around for a while, she didn’t want Sam jumping ahead in the pecking order....
                          Good points. We know Sam isn't enthusiastic, full of ideas and charging ahead because she's kissing up to the bosses in the world of Thera or as Sam. But you can see how not everyone is going to get that about her. I loved how even the memory stamp couldn't take that away from her. As Thera she was a lot less inhibited in her argument for why they should listen to her than would be proper for "soldier Sam." But of course, in the end she had to knuckle under to authority. I liked seeing her so vehement with the supervisor and then still being hot under the collar when talking to "Jonah."

Comment

Ok, hold onto your hats--I actually kind of liked the "feelings" scene. But mostly I liked the other part you said about Sam working to improve things & jack being supportive.
                            jckfan, you got shippy! but i won't hold it against you

sally
                            sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                              jckfan, you got shippy! but i won't hold it against you

sally
                              She's a closet Jonah/Thera shipper.

Comment

one aspect of sam's personality that bts brought out, and i don't know if it's good or bad, is her need to please.

sam seems to have this need to do good, to prove herself, to gain recognition.

she has ideas but doesn't keep them to herself, she has to tell someone, to spread them around. she's got this need to prove herself and be listened to

now i do think that we all do. we all crave attention and gratitude/appreciation

i think sam's not just a 'i want to fix it' person, i think she's a 'i need to fix it' person

if you want to think back on her childhood, i wonder just how much teenaged sam tried to fill her mother's shoes? i wonder how much of her tried to fix things. (and we see this too with jonas, she tried to 'fix' hanson
                                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X