Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
    My pleasure...and talking about accents, I love yours! /me sucker for accents...

Thanks!!

I think most if not all of us are on the same page regarding Sam but I just find it odd that wanting her to remain an integral character and not wanting her to be diminished for the sake of propping up new characters can somehow be considered "demanding" by some...
    Those that lack rationality!!!
    Last edited by Coley; 14 November 2005, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lys
      Now I'm scared ! What do you mean by lovely ? Lovely as typical French and really exotic or something else ?
      just very easy on the ear!!!

Comment

We don't want them to ditch Vala or Mitchell...although I'll confess that ditching Mitchell is somewhat appealing to me at the moment...but I've never ASKED or suggested anywhere publically that this happen.

My point here is that Teal'c and Sam both suffered as a result of the focus of the beginning of this season...as did Mitchell, who really needed some attention during those episodes to give me a reason to care about him. And when they did focus on him in Babylon, they dropped the ball because they lacked those team scene moments of bonding and concern and relief when he was found okay. Skydiver called it...if they don't care about him, neither do I.
        I am still puzzled as to why so much focus was placed on Vala. TPTB put out the effort in the first ep to convince us that Mitchell was a hero and deserved to be on SG-1(which I didn't really buy), then he vanished. He is one character they could kill off and I wouldn't really care.

They could have used the beginning of the season to focus on Daniel, Teal'c and Mitchell as a team. The team would only become stronger once Sam joined. But they choose to make it the Daniel/Vala hour excluding the rest of the team.
        Odo's last wishes: cremate me, put me in my bucket, then shoot me through the wormhole.

Rogue

Comment

If you have Scifi channel. Compare today’s episode Beneath the Surface with Babylon... maybe it’s not a direct comparison because the entire team is missing, not just one person. But even in this ep you really really get the sense that Hammond, Fraiser and the others at the SGC (even Walter) are truly concerned and are searching desperately to find SG-1.

Then look at Babylon and see how much we all cared about Mitchell. Poor Mitchell. Poor missed opportunity.

BTW I guess this ep is popular with the shippers? I am not a shipper but I still like this ep alot. I think it is another example of a good team ep. Sam’s character is portrayed quite well as is Daniel, Jack and Teal'c. God how I miss these eps.

EDIT: and just a question not to be rude.... but was Kegan an Homage to some of the cookier Daniel fans that think Carter is the source of all evil? BTW I am a Daniel fan... just not in a Daniel is the god kinda way
          Last edited by AGateFan; 14 November 2005, 02:31 PM.
          Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

I'm a RDA fan and make no apologies about it. I also like Sam and Jack and have always loved how they portrayed Sam (at least until season 7). To me she never seemed unhappy and it appeared to be totally out of the blue the whole "I need a man in my life to be complete." I always felt that she was willing to wait until circumstances were right for her and Jack. Regarding the present problem with lack of team or caring I think that the strongest relationships were with Jack: jack and Sam, Jack and Daniel, Jack and Teal'c. I remember reading an article in which MS said just that. He acknowledged that the show was written from Jack's point and how the other characters related to him. With Jack gone I think it is difficult to create a team feel because in the past we saw relatively little interaction between the other characters. Now, with new ones thrown into the mix, it is even less. I know that some people say that this will be corrected over time but I disagree. I think we were very fortunate to have a group that just clicked. I also think that the Jack character brought out the best in the others. The very fact that they have Teal'c a mere shadow of himself, Daniel acting like ...well, no words that I can say come to mind, and Sam, THEY DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH HER CHARACTER! I think I will curl up with my 8 seasons of Stargate and dream of better days.

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan
              If you have Scifi channel. Compare today’s episode Beneath the Surface with Babylon... maybe it’s not a direct comparison because the entire team is missing, not just one person. But even in this ep you really really get the sense that Hammond, Fraiser and the others at the SGC (even Walter) are truly concerned and are searching desperately to find SG-1.

Then look at Babylon and see how much we all cared about Mitchell. Poor Mitchell. Poor missed opportunity.

BTW I guess this ep is popular with the shippers? I am not a shipper but I still like this ep alot. I think it is another example of a good team ep. Sam’s character is portrayed quite well as is Daniel, Jack and Teal'c. God how I miss these eps.
              As a shipper, I liked it because it showed that Jack and Sam have such a connection that they're drawn to each other even when they don't know each other.

JACK: Would it mean anything if I told you I remember something else?
              SAM: What?
              JACK: Feelings.
              SAM: Feelings?
              JACK: I remember feeling --- feelings.
              SAM: (Smiles) For me?
              JACK: No, for TOR. (Sam laughs and shifts her head to rest closer to him) I don't remember much, but I DO remember that.

As a Sam fan, I liked it because we saw several different sides of her, kinda snarky with Kegan, kinda flirty with Jack, still a scientist, still ready to run to help those who are hurt like she did with Brenna, still a hero willing to sacrifice herself to save others... In other words, even without her memory, she was still who she was because it's her soul not her memory that makes her all that she is. Sam with Daniel and Jack.

As an artist, I totally digged that matte painting of the city. Way cool. Plus I loved the changeover morphing affect from Jack in his Jona outfit to Jack in his SG-1 uniform. Neat transition.

As a McGyver fan, I love the fact that they threw in a little joke to pay HOMAGE to "Jack's" previous life. (Okay, I read this to be an homage to McGyver. If it wasn't, then fine. )

JACK: I think in another life, I handled dangerous explosives. I don't know.

As an SG-1 fan, I liked it because we saw the concern for the team from Hammond, Janet, et al, who were clearly really concerned for the people they love and care for. There's that sense of family that's just THERE.

HAMMOND: Far as I'm concerned, they need us a hell of a lot more than we need them. Apparently Administrator Calder doesn't seem to think so. I think he likes things just the way they are.
              JANET: Doesn't leave you with many options, does it, Sir?
              HAMMOND: No, it doesn't. Which is why I've asked Major Griff to draw up covert search and rescue plans.
              JANET: Well, if you're looking for volunteers ---
              HAMMOND: Thank you, Doctor. I'll keep that in mind.

Where is that this year?
              Last edited by Uber; 14 November 2005, 03:17 PM.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by STARGATE7777
                I'm a RDA fan and make no apologies about it. I also like Sam and Jack and have always loved how they portrayed Sam (at least until season 7). To me she never seemed unhappy and it appeared to be totally out of the blue the whole "I need a man in my life to be complete." I always felt that she was willing to wait until circumstances were right for her and Jack. Regarding the present problem with lack of team or caring I think that the strongest relationships were with Jack: jack and Sam, Jack and Daniel, Jack and Teal'c. I remember reading an article in which MS said just that. He acknowledged that the show was written from Jack's point and how the other characters related to him. With Jack gone I think it is difficult to create a team feel because in the past we saw relatively little interaction between the other characters. Now, with new ones thrown into the mix, it is even less. I know that some people say that this will be corrected over time but I disagree. I think we were very fortunate to have a group that just clicked. I also think that the Jack character brought out the best in the others. The very fact that they have Teal'c a mere shadow of himself, Daniel acting like ...well, no words that I can say come to mind, and Sam, THEY DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH HER CHARACTER! I think I will curl up with my 8 seasons of Stargate and dream of better days.
                This is one of the reasons I suggested that Sam take over this position. Jack was the emotional/relationship glue of the show for so long and now, they don't have that much needed component.

Amanda certainly has the depth to pull it off too plus it could help solve the "we don't know what to do with this integral character" dilemma.

Of course so could making her the team leader, which is what she should be by all accounts and the fact that she isn't adds to the lack of direction this season.

Of course doing either the emotional focal point/team leader things would mean that they have a woman leading the show/team, so we know neither will ever happen because they apparently really need a male lead regardless of how nonsensical his being there/involvement with the team really is.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

I would like to believe that it would be that easy to fix but the damage that they have done to Sam's character over the past two seasons have set up the present situation. Instead of showing her as a competent leader when she WAS LEADER they wasted her time with the whole Pete relationship. It would have been better to have her continue with unresolved feelings for Jack. They missed a whole season of opportunities. I can't help but feel that this was planned. Let's get rid of all the "old characters" and replace them with young, fun ones. They don't think that anyone cares about character development or relationships. As someone else said, all TPTB see is bombs, brawn and boobs.

Comment

Furthermore, I was just reading some of the blog comments, where Sam fans were referred to by one as being "Demandas". How...whatever.

That got me starting to think though. What exactly is it that vocal Sam fans are "demanding"? Screen time for Sam to the exclusion of all others? Massive story arcs dedicated to her and only her?

No. All we're asking for is that whatever they do/show onscreen that it makes sense based on established parameters that the show set up for us...leadership, character development, team relationships, etc. That's all.

We don't want them to ditch Vala or Mitchell...although I'll confess that ditching Mitchell is somewhat appealing to me at the moment...but I've never ASKED or suggested anywhere publically that this happen.

Is wanting there to be team episodes where Sam plays a vital role somehow demanding? Is not wanting the show to be all Daniel and Vala all the time somehow an outrageous demand?

Slight tangent here regarding Teal'c. Joe joked about angry Teal'c fans not saying anything in the last blog comments...but see, I am an angry Teal'c fan too. In watching classic SG-1 episodes, I realized it's amazing what you miss when you're not looking for it. Teal'c is a great character! I love watching his relationship with Jack and Sam and Daniel. It's compelling. And from who else would you have great lines like this:

TEAL'C: Trust in me, O'Neill.
                    JACK: What if I'm not O'Neill?!
                    TEAL'C: Then I was not talking to you.

My point here is that Teal'c and Sam both suffered as a result of the focus of the beginning of this season...as did Mitchell, who really needed some attention during those episodes to give me a reason to care about him. And when they did focus on him in Babylon, they dropped the ball because they lacked those team scene moments of bonding and concern and relief when he was found okay. Skydiver called it...if they don't care about him, neither do I.

So I want more team episodes, but for me this includes Sam as being a focus in that she is the leader whether they call her that or not...and this it seems is why we aren't having team episodes because in doing so they highlight the fact that Sam leads circles around the so-called leader and that only emphasizes some of the very poor choices made this year that I fear will only continue into next.
                    I agree! Great post! I keep hoping there will be another spin off series (I think it's ForeverSg-1's sig that implies this as well. GREAT SIG KAT! )

I'm hoping for a series that starts where S8 left off. Thor is still an important ally again. The Tok'ra still come around from time to time. The Nox reappear. Hey why not let Jack go to Thor's galaxy (now that the
                    Spoiler:
                    replicators are dead
                    ) he could really concentrate on making Earth the fifth race. He spends all his time learning from the Asgard, and calls Sam, Teal’c or Daniel to join him occasionally to help for various reasons per their expertise. I think that makes more since then him going to Washington, besides if he is ever needed then he can be back on Earth in a matter of minutes/hours. There are still Goa'uld system Lords out there like Ba'al. Anyone remember Kinsey?
                    Spoiler:
                    He is a Goa'uld now! You know he still wants revenge against Jack and SG-1. I'm convinced his hatred toward them is in his genetic make-up.
                    . I'm not totally convinced that
                    Spoiler:
                    replicator Carter is dead
                    . Hmmm … that might make a good fanfic.

Sorry to lose my head there for a minute. I think in all seriousness what you said is very valid. I’m not demanding all Sam all the time. Or Teal'c for that matter. I want great team chemistry where they all contribute evenly. If they are in the scene then give them something to do. There has to be a reason why they are there, so don't make them wallpaper just for the sake of calling the episode a team adventure. Don’t stick any character whether it’s Teal’c, Sam, Daniel, or even Mitchell in the background watching the entire episode. You are right in Babylon they didn't seem to worried about Mitchell'. He doesn't come across as team leader, except in word only.

It’s like they forgot how to write the team, where all four have something to say. Yes I want them to stick to the cannon they have developed over the past 8 years and make Sam the leader. She has always been training to take over for Jack when he left. Hello 2IC!!! Finish the path you started. She was in command last year there is no reason not to be this year! The team wasn't reinstated until after she got back!! So it is a little hard to buy what they are trying to sale in S9.
                    Last edited by ann_sgcfan; 14 November 2005, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by STARGATE7777
                      "They missed a whole season of opportunities. I can't help but feel that this was planned. Let's get rid of all the "old characters" and replace them with young, fun ones. They don't think that anyone cares about character development or relationships. As someone else said, all TPTB see is bombs, brawn and boobs."
                      I do agree that Season 8 was a wasted opportunity for developing Sam's character as a leader. But I don't think it was calculated. They set so many eps. at the SGC b/c of RDA's schedule, thus we unfortunately didn't get to see Sam too much in the field as a leader. In addition, I think AT wanted to do something a little different in Season 7 - she wanted to have a "boyfriend that doesn't die" and show Carter's personal life a bit more. Even though a lot of us didn't like the direction it went, it did allow her to stretch her acting muscles quite a bit. I just think TPTB stretched the whole thing out too long (esp. into Season 8) and didn't always write it well.

Starting with Season 9, we have a different story. I don't know whether it was intentional or whether it was planned. I like to think it was just circumstantial. Vala was brought in to sub for Sam for five eps and then she was supposed to be gone. Instead, it looks like this gave Sony/Sci-Fi the opportunity to demand that Vala return and be brought in as a regular while reducing Sam's time on SG-1 to accommodate that.

While TPTB may have messed up quite a few things, I don't think they are malicious (or Machiavellian) enough to plan the demise of a character over the course of three seasons. As far as I can tell, they just don't usually plan that far ahead. But then again, maybe I'm just being naive.

Comment

Here is a thought I had in regard to why AT might be coming back to Stargate this year instead of taking the other series. Now granted she has said how much she loves working with the cast and crew, They are like her extended family, despite recent events.

She gets to take Olivia to work everyday. Therefore, allowing her to be a full time working mom. When the series starts next season Olivia will be one. Throughout the season Olivia will be learning to walk and talk. Chew solid foods. Her personality really starts to develop. As a mother I wouldn't want to miss all these firsts! If she stays at SG-1 then she'll be able to be a part of that and still have a career. Now as her career goes she still gains national recognition from the show. Her name and face is still out there once a week for potential jobs. It'll give her a chance to really start thinking about life beyond the gate. Whether that's producing, writing more shows for her comedy troupe, another series or movies. I'm sure with her still nursing Olivia she doesn't want to be too far away right now. Maybe next year will allow her more time to look for a suitable job, whether that's SG-1 or not.

EDIT: As frustrating as S9 has been and as scary as S10 appears to be, I thought I would send some positive vibes out there. I think AT will try as hard as she is capable of as an actress and not the writers/producers to make the best of it.
                        Last edited by ann_sgcfan; 14 November 2005, 04:00 PM.

Comment

[Uber phoned Coley in England to help with the PC problems] My pleasure...and talking about accents, I love yours! /me sucker for accents ...

Although I am more than slightly freaked when I think about what my phone bill will be next month... *shudders*

I think most if not all of us are on the same page regarding Sam but I just find it odd that wanting her to remain an integral character and not wanting her to be diminished for the sake of propping up new characters can somehow be considered "demanding" by some...
                          I cannot resist ... and will offer only two words about Coley's "accent": Crystal Skull! The dear Royal Accountant was sitting in my aisle seat at GABIT (oh I'm a generous sort!) and, during one of Amanda's Q&As, AT happened to look right down the aisle and at Coley. Amanda had been asked about her favorite episodes and then asked us what we thought ... "the lady in white" (Coley) replied, in her indomitable Lancastrian tone, Crystal Skull. Amanda had to ask again what was said! Coley repeated, louder, Crystal Skull. I wish Shakespeare had been in the audience! When a Lancastrian says anything, it seems so full of authority and weight! Coley could say "me brolly is wet" and I'd want to stand up and salute! I, on the other hand, hail from the land of Rocky; my fluffyan accent is no match! "Yo, Philly! Howzabout some cheezzzzsteaks?!"

I agree, Uber ... I love her accent too!

And, on the "demanda" remarks elsewhere ... Amanda used this term to poke fun at herself around a rumor that she was difficult to work with. So maybe that's where it came from, borrowed from the Queen herself!

Therefore, let's go one better. I hereby proclaim that, in this kingdom and afar, we may, on occasion of defending HRH, use the following term proudly: "Demandas from Samanda"!
                          Last edited by ChopinGal; 14 November 2005, 03:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ann_sgcfan
                            Here is a thought I had in regard to why AT might be coming back to Stargate this year instead of taking the other series. Now granted she has said how much she loves working with the cast and crew, They are like her extended family, despite recent events.

She gets to take Olivia to work everyday. Therefore, allowing her to be a full time working mom. When the series starts next season Olivia will be one. Throughout the season Olivia will be learning to walk and talk. Chew solid foods. Her personality really starts to develop. As a mother I wouldn't want to miss all these firsts! If she stays at SG-1 then she'll be able to be a part of that and still have a career. Now as her career goes she still gains national recognition from the show. Her name and face is still out there once a week for potential jobs. It'll give her a chance to really start thinking about life beyond the gate. Whether that's producing, writing more shows for her comedy troupe, another series or movies. I'm sure with her still nursing Olivia she doesn't want to be too far away right now. Maybe next year will allow her more time to look for a suitable job, whether that's SG-1 or not.
                            The set just sounds like such a nice place to be, and I'm sure that since Amanda has the option of staying on another year, it would be very appealing to her for all of the reasons that you mentioned. Of course, we aren't completely sure about the episode split for her between Atlantis and Sg-1, but I'd think it'd be hard for her to move on to other projects if they're giving her an opportunity to continue on Stargate. I just hope AT is happy with what she chooses and that she has a fantastic year.

"But that man who has known the immense unhappiness of losing a friend, by what name do we call him? Here every language is silent and holds its peace in impotence." ~In memory of Whistler84...loved and missed but never, never forgotten. Safe journey, my dear friend. Love you.

HIC COMITAS REGIT How long until Shore Leave 29???

Comment

Originally posted by Dani76
                              Thank you for letting us know, sg-1fanintn.
                              It is hard for me to put into words what I am feeling right now, but I wanted to say that Atteria, her husband, and her family and friends are in my prayers. Atteria, may you rest in peace!

Also, I am still trying to catch up with all the great posts that have been made since Friday, but I want to applaud each and every one of you for these moving, thoughtful, and provoking posts. Somebody said that you probably won't find posts like these on another character thread ~ you guys are simply amazing and I am proud to be a part of Samanda.

Hic Comitas Regit!!!

So am I, Dani ... so am I!!

Comment

Originally posted by ann_sgcfan

"It is not best to swap horses while crossing the river." Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                                X