Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skydiver
    ooh, you know what that reminds me of ???? V. where the human girl had twins or something and teh baby was the key to killing all the lizards that were eating people
    The Starchild.

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
      season 7's grace spoilers

@

@

@

for me, i didn't see jacob telling sam that without a man in her life, she wasn't fulfilled. i saw it as sam knowing something was missing in her life. companionship. yes, romantic companionship. i'm without right now (have been for quite a while), and i'm yearning to be in a romantic/emotional relationship with a man. not because i *need* one, but because i want one. it's part of human nature to want this. and because sam was conflicted in the jack o'neill area, she tried outside. now, for me, it's not the idea of sam wanting this in her life that was iffy, it's the way the writers applied it into the show. poor writing didn't do sam any favors (or any of the rest of the characters either).

but like i said, i didn't find sam questioning her life in this area bad. just poor writing wore out some fans on the subject.

sally
      Hey Sal, yes I can agree with what you have said. I can go with that interpretation

It just didn't ring true to the Sam we saw in seasons 1 to 6 - (apart from ascencion I guess). I always saw sam as being very happy with things apart from the fact she was in love with someone she couldn't have. No mention previously of it being an excuse to hide herself from hurt - I just didn't see that in Sam.

I also just didn't like the implication Jacob said she was content but not happy and the reason being because she has not got love in her life.

Now some may be unhappy because they have not got love in their lives - other people are happy to be single.

Guess its my knee jerk reaction to being on the recieving end of "poor Louise she's single" looks when I actually wouldn't want the life of those people sending the look for anything!! So I guess my judgement is a bit coloured - as I dare say it useally is

Also it is just a bit unbelievable to think Mr Right is going to pop up because you want them to and are open to romance. If a Mr Right had come along for Sam I have no doubt she would have realised it for herself without Jacob needing to point the issues out to her.

To me it was a bizzare conversation??
      But after reading your input - yes perhaps I'm a little too hasty!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Coley
        "To me it was a bizzare conversation??
        But after reading your input - yes perhaps I'm a little too hasty!!!"
        I don't think you were being hasty. It was very bizarre because we had no hints of it at all before "Grace." It was almost like it came out of nowhere because Sam never seemed unhappy or discontent with her life before that moment. Even though Jack urged her to "get a life" more than once, it was clear that her work and her friends made her happy and she didn't need anything else. It really doesn't make sense in some ways.

Personally, I rationalize this conversation with Jacob by thinking that her discontent or worries about the future were on a very, very subconcious level. It took getting a concussion, hallucinating, and facing death to bring them to the surface. But that's just the way I have tried to make sense of it.

Comment

We were promissed a return to the good old days with Team exploration.
          When do you think we will get that?

Mitchell, Carter, Daniel, Teal'c all working together, no one looking bad to make someone else look better. Solving problems, each doing their job.

And why would TPTB mess with this formula when this has been what has kept the show on for 8 years? Why do they want to pander to fans who never appreicated the show and dont buy the merchandise... just doesnt make sense.

Sam Carter is a great character. So was Jack O'Neill, Daniel Jackson and Teal'c and a host of the guest characters over the years. I knew it as soon (or shortley after) I met those characters. So far I do not have that feeling about any of the new guys\girls.
          Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
            And you know how I feel about cliches...
            ah yes, the old you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him dance cliche.
            Franklin said, "They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

"Do or do not. There is no try." Yoda

Comment

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn
              As ChopinGal and Coley will attest, I've been struggling with how to deal with this message for several days. I have bad news, but I had to work through an ethical dilemma before sharing it with you. When the three of us reached a concensus on what constituted good judgment in this situation, we decided I should move forward.

Last week, I got this e-mail from Atteria's husband.

I'm sorry I haven't answered you sooner, but I've been unable too. Nikki is no longer with us. I'm sorry to have to bring you such bad news, but she did fight, right until the end.

Please thank everyone in Samanda for their prayers and best wishes. She loved you all.

Take care and please, don't announce this in the site. I don't think she would have wanted anything like this to mar the good feelings on the thread.

John

As you see, John asked me to let you know how much your prayers and good wishes were appreciated, but didn't want the news announced on the thread, because of the chance it would mar the good feelings here. I didn't know how to tell you one thing without telling you the other. But once ChopinGal, Coley and I realized that John's concern was for us, and not for his privacy, we agreed that knowing you as we do, we should use the thread.

I don't have John's address or any other details on what ailment claimed Nikki's life. I don't even know for sure exactly when she died, but I received his e-mail on November 2nd. I propose that today, as we discuss Sam and AT and enjoy the fellowship that is Samanda, that we also remember our friend Atteria, and the fun she brought to our little family.

I find it very strange to be mourning someone I never met in person, but I am. That's the nature of our internet friendships, I guess. Although some of us will meet in person, others never will. But many of us have become friends, nonetheless. And I know we will share a collective sorrow in this loss. Let's also celebrate the fun Nikki brought us, and remember her as the cheerful, caring and brave citizen of Samanda that she was.

That's my final post for tonight. I will rejoin you later in the day. Love to all.
              Thank you for letting us know, sg-1fanintn.
              It is hard for me to put into words what I am feeling right now, but I wanted to say that Atteria, her husband, and her family and friends are in my prayers. Atteria, may you rest in peace!

Also, I am still trying to catch up with all the great posts that have been made since Friday, but I want to applaud each and every one of you for these moving, thoughtful, and provoking posts. Somebody said that you probably won't find posts like these on another character thread ~ you guys are simply amazing and I am proud to be a part of Samanda.

Hic Comitas Regit!!!

Thank you, Skydiver

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan

Mitchell, Carter, Daniel, Teal'c all working together, no one looking bad to make someone else look better. Solving problems, each doing their job.

And why would TPTB mess with this formula when this has been what has kept the show on for 8 years? Why do they want to pander to fans who never appreicated the show and dont buy the merchandise... just doesnt make sense.

Sam Carter is a great character. So was Jack O'Neill, Daniel Jackson and Teal'c and a host of the guest characters over the years. I knew it as soon (or shortley after) I met those characters. So far I do not have that feeling about any of the new guys\girls.
                Furthermore, I was just reading some of the blog comments, where Sam fans were referred to by one as being "Demandas". How...whatever.

That got me starting to think though. What exactly is it that vocal Sam fans are "demanding"? Screen time for Sam to the exclusion of all others? Massive story arcs dedicated to her and only her?

No. All we're asking for is that whatever they do/show onscreen that it makes sense based on established parameters that the show set up for us...leadership, character development, team relationships, etc. That's all.

We don't want them to ditch Vala or Mitchell...although I'll confess that ditching Mitchell is somewhat appealing to me at the moment...but I've never ASKED or suggested anywhere publically that this happen.

Is wanting there to be team episodes where Sam plays a vital role somehow demanding? Is not wanting the show to be all Daniel and Vala all the time somehow an outrageous demand?

Slight tangent here regarding Teal'c. Joe joked about angry Teal'c fans not saying anything in the last blog comments...but see, I am an angry Teal'c fan too. In watching classic SG-1 episodes, I realized it's amazing what you miss when you're not looking for it. Teal'c is a great character! I love watching his relationship with Jack and Sam and Daniel. It's compelling. And from whom else would you have great lines like this:

TEAL'C: Trust in me, O'Neill.
                JACK: What if I'm not O'Neill?!
                TEAL'C: Then I was not talking to you.

My point here is that Teal'c and Sam both suffered as a result of the focus of the beginning of this season...as did Mitchell, who really needed some attention during those episodes to give me a reason to care about him. And when they did focus on him in Babylon, they dropped the ball because they lacked those team scene moments of bonding and concern and relief when he was found okay. Skydiver called it...if they don't care about him, neither do I.

So I want more team episodes, but for me this includes Sam as being a focus in that she is the leader whether they call her that or not...and this it seems is why we aren't having team episodes because in doing so they highlight the fact that Sam leads circles around the so-called leader and that only emphasizes some of the very poor choices made this year that I fear will only continue into next.
                Last edited by Uber; 15 November 2005, 01:21 AM.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan

Oh if only!!

TPTB have veered away from this original and successful formula for 3 seasons now. It would actually now be refreshing to get it back.

I loved all the characters they have killed off over the last few years. I can't understand why the got rid of them!

The writers seemed to work so hard creating a great show with a fantastic ensemble of characters and actors - which everyone was captivated by, only for it to be dismantled piece by piece. Everyone loved the characters - the only thing possibly required for the show was to add to the writing staff - including a female. Notable by absence and that speaks volumes!

The addition of all these so called "names" to the cast have added nothing to my viewing pleasure and are no better actors than the ones they replace.

Lets be honest though - if the writers don't know what to do with Sam - she isn't that important to the storyline now. I may be totally off the mark, but it sounds as though they have decided on a direction of the show (which most certainly includes Vala) and are struggling to fit in Sam around this new direction. Unless the furore of GABIT has people thinking twice - which I doubt seeing as they don't seem to be able to think once!!

God I'm snarky at the moment aren't I?!

But yes I agree with you. A show based predominantly around the cast of 4 with each taking an equal share of the action INCLUDING TEAL'C!!! That is the sort of show I want. A team working together on off world adventures!
                  The fanfic writers have proven that there are a plethora of stories to be told around this formula.

As an aside an Year review of - I think it was TV Tome commented that they were hoping SG1 was getting back to the original formula - but loved the Vala character whilst Sam was away and thought the ties that bind had great humour (groan). They think that Atlantis is in not so good shape mainly because there are too any cast members (Sam will add another).

SG1 is shaping up to go down the same route though.

Rob Coop may like to rock the boat. I wonder what he feels about sinking it!!

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                    We don't want them to ditch Vala or Mitchell...although I'll confess that ditching Mitchell is somewhat appealing to me at the moment...but I've never ASKED or suggested anywhere publically that this happen.
                    I'd be very happy if they ditched Vala for the reasons I've already mentioned - numerous times But remain miffed that the writers didn't create a really good strong inspirational character in place of her. Wouldn't it be great to have 2 strong females in prominent positions on a sci fi show.

This wouldn't mean that the male characters would suffer. The writers could write them as equally strong. It would be great for Sam to have a female comrade - as this gives added writing potential - given a female writer!!

Comment

I just want to say again a big thanyou to everyone who tried to help regarding my computer problem. Thanks also to Uber and Lys for the phonecalls - lys your accent is lovely!! I have copied everyone's suggestions for future use?![/

Comment

I just want to say again a big thanyou to everyone who tried to help regarding my computer problem. Thanks also to Uber and Lys for the phonecalls - lys your accent is lovely!! I have copied everyone's suggestions for future use?![/
                        Now I'm scared ! What do you mean by lovely ? Lovely as typical French and really exotic or something else ?
                        Kingdom of Samanda : Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

Originally posted by Dani76
                          Thank you for letting us know, sg-1fanintn.
                          It is hard for me to put into words what I am feeling right now, but I wanted to say that Atteria, her husband, and her family and friends are in my prayers. Atteria, may you rest in peace!

[/CENTER]
                          I've been thinking about Atteria and how else we might express our sympathy to her husband besides in our posts here. I don't remember who had his email address, but would it be possible to do something like a sympathy card from Samanda that could be sent to him? We could include the lovely poem that was posted, for example.

Comment

I just want to say again a big thanyou to everyone who tried to help regarding my computer problem. Thanks also to Uber and Lys for the phonecalls - lys your accent is lovely!! I have copied everyone's suggestions for future use?!
                            My pleasure...and talking about accents, I love yours! /me sucker for accents...

Although I am more than slightly freaked when I think about what my phone bill will be next month... *shudders*

I think most if not all of us are on the same page regarding Sam but I just find it odd that wanting her to remain an integral character and not wanting her to be diminished for the sake of propping up new characters can somehow be considered "demanding" by some...

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
                              I've been thinking about Atteria and how else we might express our sympathy to her husband besides in our posts here. I don't remember who had his email address, but would it be possible to do something like a sympathy card from Samanda that could be sent to him? We could include the lovely poem that was posted, for example.
                              I agree it would be nice to do something to pass on our thoughts and respects!

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
                                I concur...and very nice suggestion jckfan55...

I'm saddened at our loss to our virtual kingdom and for the real loss of a very sweet person.

My mind's eye sees our little Samanda flag flying at half mast today...

Comment

Working...
                                X