Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by binkpmmc
    Here is something JM just oput on his blog in resposne to a question abiout Carter stories for S10:

"As pitched, both Suffer the Children and Orpheus are Carter stories. Extreme Measures is an sG-1 team episode. The Darkest Recesses a "Daniel in peril" episode."

Perhaps, and that is a big perhaps, the suits, and others, are listening and Carter will be back for SG1 full time and will play a major role if 2 of the very preliminary stories are already termed as supposedly "Carter stories", unless of course they have to have the early stories Carter stories to explain why she isn't on SG1 full-time anymore . . . . Sigh - sometimes I think too much.
    Interesing. (One suspects, in that Chinese Curse sort of way. )

Admitted cynic that I am, I'd like to know which, if any, season 9 stories they consider to be "Carter stories" so I'd have some basis of comparison for what these eps might amount to, if they're ever made.

So far this season, even _The Fourth Horseman_ which was touted as being 'Carter heavy' (I think that's the term I remember being used) wasn't what I'd call a "Carter Story." Considering that I also think I remember reading that Daniel was the focus this season 9, I'm uncertain that JM and I are defining term's like 'focus' and 'Insert-Name's story' the same way.

And that bothers me - Season's 1 - 6, I liked practically every ep, regardless of whom, if anyone, on the team was the focus. Season 7, I thought the eps that I didn't particularly like were still pretty much ok, with the same caveat, regardless of whom was the focus. Season 8 - rewatching season 8 eps in syndication is a revelation. I thought the majority of them were fairly dull, unimaginative and generally 'meh' in first run (even the "Carter story" _Gemini_) but, wow, they've improved markedly in comparison to season 9! 'Meh' now constitues a high-water mark in the writing for season 9, and _The Fourth Horseman_ definitely rates no higher than 'meh' in my book.
    ...a very cranky blog:http://simhavaktra.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by dmovies
      I agree with you. I liked Grace-a lot. I don't see why the Sam character has to leave SG1. She and Chris Judge are the only members who have stayed with the team the whole 9 years. Her role of scientist and being way smarter than nearly everybody, doesn't need to change now. Mitchell isn't a scientist and does't try to play a know-it-all. Why can't she continue as before, but for the personal life stuff-have her in a long distance relation with Jack, or engaged to him, or married and separated because of their career choices? Why hasn't that occured to any of the writers? I just watched Threads (always uncomfortable with the 'so-called' resolution of S/J), Moebus I & II, and I can't believe the same talented writers who wrote those scripts turned around and wrote the horrible dribble like the 1st 10 shows Season 9! I just don't get it.
      I'm sure it has occurred to them. They don't want to do it because:

1. It would alienate part of the fan base.
      2. It limits the ways in which they can use the Carter character.

It hasn't occurred to them that this would give them DIFFERENT ways to write the Carter character. You know them and their stereotypical view of things.

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc
        To me, if the fan reported MS's words correctly, it shows that Sony indeed has no interest in the actual history and characters of the SG-1!!! It is the TEAM that made the show!! Now the team is Sam, Daniel, Teal'c and Mitchell. The dynamics -- the caring for each other-- has to be there. If Sony thinks that no character is crucial---gee whiz!! They have no idea what made this show work! Of course Daniel, Teal'c and Sam are crucial to the show -- all of them.

And yes, Vala would be dropped like a hot potato if MS didn't sign on by some (and actually I wouldn't blame them). I understand watching for a character--some fans do and that could be for Sam, Daniel, or Jack (honestly it seems less so for Teal'c). Fans who just watched for Jack are gone. I wouldn't blame the fans who watch just for MS to stop watching.

I think the success of the show had been based on the fact that there was something for lots of people (such as Jack/Daniel interaction, Sam/Jack interaction or Sam/Daniel Interaction, and of course Team interaction, and then just watching because of a love for a character within the team dynamic). What would be left if the originals don't come back?

Sony doesn't realize that the success of the show is because of the actors who made these characters come alive, so much so, that we care about them.
        Very, very disturbing. I don't know what to think except that corporate execs (evidently) like to fix things even when they're NOT broken; cause havoc when there's peace; and blatantly disregard the very things that make their product such a success. Very weird.

Comment

The weekend is ending
          We've had a good ride
          Many serious discussions
          Samandans, take pride

In honoring our vets and one now gone from our midst
          We then went on to discuss Sam and did so invest
          Much of ourselves in what we had written
          Sam's story is ours, we shared and we listened

We know that there's much the new season does lack
          Jack is gone now for good, and Sam must pick up the slack
          We want to regain what we think has been lost
          A sense of team feeling ... no matter the cost

Let Sam be the leader with Teal'c at her side
          Daniel, ever the diplomat, and Cam gaining his stride
          Let them go through the Gate, how clever - what fun!
          They can meet alien races and shoot off their guns

Give us a taste of what we've been missing
          Team-centered stories, more action, less kissing
          Let us return to the early seasons' success
          When SG1's sense of teamwork showed them all at their best!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11...work_group.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
            'Suffer the Children'... I could always hope that it refers to Jolinar in some way
            Sigh.

If only, AD.

Speculation:
            Spoiler:
            My (very active) inner cynic suspects that the only way the ep title could refer to Jolinar was if Vala's hubby is of that same name. Sam would probably be set up to endure Vala's sprog (Thank you for that term, Sky! )at its worst - whether that was squalling bloody murder and running overtime at both ends, or actually performing bloody murder during the conquest of the universe.
            ...a very cranky blog:http://simhavaktra.blogspot.com/

Comment

Here's hoping it's a GOOD sign that JM has pitched Carter episodes, right? And the fact that he's pitched a Daniel episode must mean that the negotiations are (relatively) almost a done deal, right? Right?!?!

I dunno why, but Suffer the Children sounds pretty good.

/optimism

Comment

Originally posted by Lys
                I read some great posts from you dear Samandans, but there's something that hasn't been brought in my opinion as a reason why people, and women are happier with Vala than Sam.

I asked one of my friends who happens to like Vala and dispises overt sexualization why she liked Vala. Her answer was: she's fun and I'm putting too much thoughts on the matter.

Well, it made me think more and more. And I came to this conclusion. People like Vala because she's portrayed as a fun woman in opposite to Sam who's portrayed as the smart one.

Smart is boring. It's even worse then you're smarter than the average.
                Why ? Because people are jealous, because they can't reach your level, because being different is a defect.

I don't think all women who like Vala are appealed by the cleavage. I think they live with it but they're drawn to her because she's of their level. I'm not saying that Vala isn't smart. I'm saying that when you're asked to define her with only one word, many say first: funny. It's a fact, people identify easily with fun persons.

How many of you had this experience back in school when the most popular one in the class was the fun one, the rebel one and not the smart of the class ? I had it. And being in the position of the smart one is not something I'd wish to anyone. You're the scape goat, you're befriended only because you can be of good use.

In my opinion, Vala is the rebel and fun child of the Stargate universe, while Sam is the smart one. It has nothing or little to do with sexualization. If it had to do so much with it, Vala would have the same fate as Anise who was a sexualized and very smart character, she wouldn't last long.
                jeez, i can't even give vala that much thought. vala is and always will be to me just a side character that's all frosting and very little cake.

sally
                sally

sigpic

Comment

... i don't even know what to say. i feel like crying.

sally

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn
                  As ChopinGal and Coley will attest, I've been struggling with how to deal with this message for several days. I have bad news, but I had to work through an ethical dilemma before sharing it with you. When the three of us reached a concensus on what constituted good judgment in this situation, we decided I should move forward.

Last week, I got this e-mail from Atteria's husband.

I'm sorry I haven't answered you sooner, but I've been unable too. Nikki is no longer with us. I'm sorry to have to bring you such bad news, but she did fight, right until the end.

Please thank everyone in Samanda for their prayers and best wishes. She loved you all.

Take care and please, don't announce this in the site. I don't think she would have wanted anything like this to mar the good feelings on the thread.

John

As you see, John asked me to let you know how much your prayers and good wishes were appreciated, but didn't want the news announced on the thread, because of the chance it would mar the good feelings here. I didn't know how to tell you one thing without telling you the other. But once ChopinGal, Coley and I realized that John's concern was for us, and not for his privacy, we agreed that knowing you as we do, we should use the thread.

I don't have John's address or any other details on what ailment claimed Nikki's life. I don't even know for sure exactly when she died, but I received his e-mail on November 2nd. I propose that today, as we discuss Sam and AT and enjoy the fellowship that is Samanda, that we also remember our friend Atteria, and the fun she brought to our little family.

I find it very strange to be mourning someone I never met in person, but I am. That's the nature of our internet friendships, I guess. Although some of us will meet in person, others never will. But many of us have become friends, nonetheless. And I know we will share a collective sorrow in this loss. Let's also celebrate the fun Nikki brought us, and remember her as the cheerful, caring and brave citizen of Samanda that she was.

That's my final post for tonight. I will rejoin you later in the day. Love to all.
                  sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Simhavaktra
                    Sigh.

If only, AD.

Speculation:
                    Spoiler:
                    My (very active) inner cynic suspects that the only way the ep title could refer to Jolinar was if Vala's hubby is of that same name. Sam would probably be set up to endure Vala's sprog (Thank you for that term, Sky! )at its worst - whether that was squalling bloody murder and running overtime at both ends, or actually performing bloody murder during the conquest of the universe.
                    Yeah, I thought of Vala, too, with the addition of
                    Spoiler:
                    children, in the plural, perhaps referring to twins. Shudder.

My LJ

Comment

Oh, and hey, they finally got the fanfic stories up for voting at the Amanda Tapping Contest, in case anyone is interested.

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                        Not to take away from the in depth discussion we're all having.... but:

Disco Sam!

That's just frellin' scary, funny AD. You sick, sick man you. LOL
                        sigpic
                        I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

season 7's grace spoilers

@

@

@

Originally posted by Coley

I was dispointed in Grace when Jacob made a big play about her not being happy - because she is not in a relationship. That really annoyed me - You can't be really happy or fulfilled if you are not in a romantic relationship? Mmm well I can tell you I now for a fact I'm happier and more fulfilled that a number of married women I know. It just depends on the person. I always saw Sam as someone who loved her life, loved her friends and would find love when the time was right - either with O'Neill or someone esle.
                          for me, i didn't see jacob telling sam that without a man in her life, she wasn't fulfilled. i saw it as sam knowing something was missing in her life. companionship. yes, romantic companionship. i'm without right now (have been for quite a while), and i'm yearning to be in a romantic/emotional relationship with a man. not because i *need* one, but because i want one. it's part of human nature to want this. and because sam was conflicted in the jack o'neill area, she tried outside. now, for me, it's not the idea of sam wanting this in her life that was iffy, it's the way the writers applied it into the show. poor writing didn't do sam any favors (or any of the rest of the characters either).

but like i said, i didn't find sam questioning her life in this area bad. just poor writing wore out some fans on the subject.

sally
                          sally

sigpic

Comment

i grieving big time for Atteria right now. i'm currently going through her posts and read her last message to us.

God bless you, Atteria. I know you're with Him right now and he's cradling you in His arms.

sally
                            sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
                              "Oh no, he's not gone. He's not here, but he's not gone. What does that mean? Well it means whatever you want it to mean. Huh? Oh look, over there. An Ori! Quick, or you'll miss it!"

mini
                              Thanks for the chuckle MG. It helped to bring me out of my funk for a spell.

Kat

Comment

this is what i'd do:

*uninstall the anti virus program she doesn't want to use.

*uninstall the anti virus program she *does* want to use. then reinstall it.

0R

*uninstall the anti virus program(s) she doesn't want to use.

*dowload the FREE version of AVG anti virus software. (i use it, it's great)

*also fun 'House Call' free anti virus check.

i hope it works for her.

sally

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                                All Good Samandans, now is the time to come to the aid of ...

our intrepid Royal Accountant who has managed to get herself in a bit of a pickle this afternoon! Poor gal wanted to add more anti-virus security to her trusty computer and downloaded the program that Myrth had recommended (sorry can't find the back post/PM) only to have her whole system hang up and go bonkers!

Now, being no PC whiz kid myself, and having spoken trans-Atlantic twice today to our dear bean counter ... I've been asked to call on the troops! Heavy artillery is needed ... pull out the P90s and C4 and, if anyone of you can PM me in the next hour or two, I can give you the entire lowdown on Coley's system and perhaps you can help me to help her get the bloomin' thing up and running!

Believe me ... this is serious ... I could tell that she's already spiraling into SaGC withdrawal ... she'll be a wreck by tomorrow if she's out of touch! Let's face it - we're all addicted to this thread! Of course, she is also out of touch with her email too and may have to call a bonafide techie tomorrow.

To recap: installed one anti-virus program which did its virus scan and came back with message: no virus found. Then tried to start up Windows XP and system kept freezing; rebooted and no go; she did not uninstall her original anti-virus program (eTrust) and is wondering if that could be compounding the matter. Right now, she managed to get to "remove or restore program" on her controls and the system is trying, ever so slowly, to go through all her files/drivers/kitchen recipes/auto manual/birth record ... just seeing if you're still with me!!

Help ... our ... friend ... across ... the ... pond ...

Frankly, I'll just tell her to keep swigging the sloe gin and not worry about the darn PC ... the show is going south anyhow and we're all in a bit of a funk!

Oh, did I mention that I'm PC challenged (more than once)?! So, even if you tell me how to troubleshoot, the translation to Coley may be quite different than what I've heard ... but, there's always the sloe gin! Gad - that woman makes a terrific batch of sloe gin!

sally

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X