Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn
    As ChopinGal and Coley will attest, I've been struggling with how to deal with this message for several days. I have bad news, but I had to work through an ethical dilemma before sharing it with you. When the three of us reached a concensus on what constituted good judgment in this situation, we decided I should move forward.

Last week, I got this e-mail from Atteria's husband.

I'm sorry I haven't answered you sooner, but I've been unable too. Nikki is no longer with us. I'm sorry to have to bring you such bad news, but she did fight, right until the end.

Please thank everyone in Samanda for their prayers and best wishes. She loved you all.

Take care and please, don't announce this in the site. I don't think she would have wanted anything like this to mar the good feelings on the thread.

John

As you see, John asked me to let you know how much your prayers and good wishes were appreciated, but didn't want the news announced on the thread, because of the chance it would mar the good feelings here. I didn't know how to tell you one thing without telling you the other. But once ChopinGal, Coley and I realized that John's concern was for us, and not for his privacy, we agreed that knowing you as we do, we should use the thread.

I don't have John's address or any other details on what ailment claimed Nikki's life. I don't even know for sure exactly when she died, but I received his e-mail on November 2nd. I propose that today, as we discuss Sam and AT and enjoy the fellowship that is Samanda, that we also remember our friend Atteria, and the fun she brought to our little family.

I find it very strange to be mourning someone I never met in person, but I am. That's the nature of our internet friendships, I guess. Although some of us will meet in person, others never will. But many of us have become friends, nonetheless. And I know we will share a collective sorrow in this loss. Let's also celebrate the fun Nikki brought us, and remember her as the cheerful, caring and brave citizen of Samanda that she was.

That's my final post for tonight. I will rejoin you later in the day. Love to all.
    Thanks for posting this information. It's funny that last night I thought of Atteria. I hope that Nikki is at peace and I hope that her family knows that even strangers, people who never had an opportunity to meet, have Nikki, and her family, in their thoughts and prayers.

Comment

All Good Samandans, now is the time to come to the aid of ...

our intrepid Royal Accountant who has managed to get herself in a bit of a pickle this afternoon! Poor gal wanted to add more anti-virus security to her trusty computer and downloaded the program that Myrth had recommended (sorry can't find the back post/PM) only to have her whole system hang up and go bonkers!

Now, being no PC whiz kid myself, and having spoken trans-Atlantic twice today to our dear bean counter ... I've been asked to call on the troops! Heavy artillery is needed ... pull out the P90s and C4 and, if anyone of you can PM me in the next hour or two, I can give you the entire lowdown on Coley's system and perhaps you can help me to help her get the bloomin' thing up and running!

Believe me ... this is serious ... I could tell that she's already spiraling into SaGC withdrawal ... she'll be a wreck by tomorrow if she's out of touch! Let's face it - we're all addicted to this thread! Of course, she is also out of touch with her email too and may have to call a bonafide techie tomorrow.

To recap: installed one anti-virus program which did its virus scan and came back with message: no virus found. Then tried to start up Windows XP and system kept freezing; rebooted and no go; she did not uninstall her original anti-virus program (eTrust) and is wondering if that could be compounding the matter. Right now, she managed to get to "remove or restore program" on her controls and the system is trying, ever so slowly, to go through all her files/drivers/kitchen recipes/auto manual/birth record ... just seeing if you're still with me!!

Help ... our ... friend ... across ... the ... pond ...

Frankly, I'll just tell her to keep swigging the sloe gin and not worry about the darn PC ... the show is going south anyhow and we're all in a bit of a funk!

Oh, did I mention that I'm PC challenged (more than once)?! So, even if you tell me how to troubleshoot, the translation to Coley may be quite different than what I've heard ... but, there's always the sloe gin! Gad - that woman makes a terrific batch of sloe gin!

Last edited by ChopinGal; 13 November 2005, 11:40 AM.

Comment

I have to agree with many many posts over the past few pages, but there seems to be one common opinion that I disagree with. Please understand I’m not trying to argue, because I know a lot of people agree with you and disagree with me and that’s okay. I just have a different opinion. Now please hear me out. I totally see where you are coming from. I think I’m an intelligent hardworking very independent single woman (as described by my friends). I feel I should tell you this to set up my next comment… I loved Grace, Threads, Gemini, Lost City, Hero’s and number of other episodes in season 7 & 8. I also liked the idea of Pete, but I do think the writers screwed up with how they portrayed Pete. Sam would not have put up with his crap. The end of Affinity wasn’t in character as AT and many of you pointed out.

I liked diving into Sam’s personal issues as well as the Soldier Sam, Scientist Sam and Leader Sam for me it is a total development of the character, human flaws and all that I both relate to and admire. Okay if you’re still with me here is why… In Grace the I like the part where Jacob tells her to let go of the things in your life preventing you from finding happiness, because I was right there with her. Maybe because I was able to relate so well with the character at this point, that I liked Grace. I didn’t see Jacob’s words as you need a man in your life to be happy, because I don’t think any relationship will work unless you are both happy with who you are as an individual. So then why did I cry? I do want children and someone to share my life with. It doesn’t mean that I jump the first Pete that comes along trying to force the happily ever after I strive for. I know I am much better off single then in a loveless marriage. If I never meet the right man to spend the rest of my days with then I’m okay with being single, as long as I didn’t put any obstacles in the way to prevent it. I saw that as what Sam’s conscious was trying to tell her. Give yourself the chance to love. Don’t be afraid, don’t let past relationships, past hurts, or anything in your past to stand in the way of something that will make you happy, if he truly is what will make you happy.

Okay there goes another too much information post… sorry I just felt I had to explain why I liked Grace so much. Again I understand why some of you don't. I'm just giving you a different take on the same episode

Comment

Originally posted by ann_sgcfan
          I have to agree with many many posts over the past few pages, but there seems to be one common opinion that I disagree with. Please understand I’m not trying to argue, because I know a lot of people agree with you and disagree with me and that’s okay. I just have a different opinion. Now please hear me out. I totally see where you are coming from. I think I’m an intelligent hardworking very independent single woman (as described by my friends). I feel I should tell you this to set up my next comment… I loved Grace, Threads, Gemini, Lost City, Hero’s and number of other episodes in season 7 & 8. I also liked the idea of Pete, but I do think the writers screwed up with how they portrayed Pete. Sam would not have put up with his crap. The end of Affinity wasn’t in character as AT and many of you pointed out.

I liked diving into Sam’s personal issues as well as the Soldier Sam, Scientist Sam and Leader Sam for me it is a total development of the character, human flaws and all that I both relate to and admire. Okay if you’re still with me here is why… In Grace the I like the part where Jacob tells her to let go of the things in your life preventing you from finding happiness, because I was right there with her. Maybe because I was able to relate so well with the character at this point, that I liked Grace. I didn’t see Jacob’s words as you need a man in your life to be happy, because I don’t think any relationship will work unless you are both happy with who you are as an individual. So then why did I cry? I do want children and someone to share my life with. It doesn’t mean that I jump the first Pete that comes along trying to force the happily ever after I strive for. I know I am much better off single then in a loveless marriage. If I never meet the right man to spend the rest of my days with then I’m okay with being single, as long as I didn’t put any obstacles in the way to prevent it. I saw that as what Sam’s conscious was trying to tell her. Give yourself the chance to love. Don’t be afraid, don’t let past relationships, past hurts, or anything in your past to stand in the way of something that will make you happy, if he truly is what will make you happy.

Okay there goes another too much information post… sorry I just felt I had to explain why I liked Grace so much. Again I understand why some of you don't. I'm just giving you a different take on the same episode
          A beautiful and sincere post ... nothing to be ashamed of! Again, another perceptive look at how the message was given and received. For you, in your own life, Jacob's scene in Grace was important and meaningful. And the development of Sam's personal life helped to define her further as a complex, three-dimensional character.

Perception is our lens to reality. And, each one of us will be looking with our own pair of glasses on.

Comment

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn
            ...I don't have John's address or any other details on what ailment claimed Nikki's life. I don't even know for sure exactly when she died, but I received his e-mail on November 2nd. I propose that today, as we discuss Sam and AT and enjoy the fellowship that is Samanda, that we also remember our friend Atteria, and the fun she brought to our little family...
            Oh, no.

Her family, friends, and the whole world have lost a beautiful person.

May they keep her memory, and her love, with them always.
            ...a very cranky blog:http://simhavaktra.blogspot.com/

Comment

I agree with you. I liked Grace-a lot. I don't see why the Sam character has to leave SG1. She and Chris Judge are the only members who have stayed with the team the whole 9 years. Her role of scientist and being way smarter than nearly everybody, doesn't need to change now. Mitchell isn't a scientist and does't try to play a know-it-all. Why can't she continue as before, but for the personal life stuff-have her in a long distance relation with Jack, or engaged to him, or married and separated because of their career choices? Why hasn't that occured to any of the writers? I just watched Threads (always uncomfortable with the 'so-called' resolution of S/J), Moebus I & II, and I can't believe the same talented writers who wrote those scripts turned around and wrote the horrible dribble like the 1st 10 shows Season 9! I just don't get it.

Comment

tell her to try this

restart the puter in 'safe mode'

there is either an option in your black startup screen, or if windows starts, go to
                start
                run
                type msconfig
                and on the left tab choose 'safe' something.

starting it up in safe mode prevents anything unnecessary from running on the computer

what she can then do is try to uninstall the program, or roll her computer back using system restore

go to

start
                all programs
                accessories
                system tools
                system restore

and then search for the newest system restore point

presuming that it's turned on and that the computer is XP, every so often and every time you alter something on y our computer it makes a 'restore point', a place where it remembers how your computer was set up so that you can go back intime to that point

system restore does take a bit but it might help her
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Myrth
                  Here's hoping for a positive season 10 with this dynamic.

Sam: With all due respect Sir, she is not going through my Stargate looking like that.

Sorry, Myrth - I just couldn't resist...

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                    Atteria

Our dear Royal Chef
                    We did not know you for long
                    Your stay with us, brief

You burst on the scene
                    Ready to play as Baker
                    “Cake, we must have cake”

And so you added
                    To the summer merriment
                    Brightening our mood

Your “bunny slippers”
                    And housebound isolation
                    Should have been the clue

All was not so well
                    You kept your pain a secret
                    Instead you chose joy

Good days on the thread
                    Brought some small comfort your way
                    Laughter eased the hurt

We teased of laptops
                    And royal galas and stoves
                    You were a good sport

You wanted to share
                    And were so glad to feed us
                    With words and spirit

Besides talk of food
                    You helped research the Latin
                    For the thread’s motto

All too soon you left
                    “Surgery pending” you said
                    Still, there’s always hope

Several months passed
                    We waited for your return
                    Hopes turned to despair

We tried to find you
                    Searching beyond Samanda
                    But to no avail

Finally, contact
                    Your grieving husband tells us
                    Of your last brave days

Your life touched our lives
                    And we were richer for it
                    Kind soul, rest in peace

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11...RoyalCakes.jpg
                    Atteria's Cakes

What a wonderful tribute. You've said it better than I ever could.

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc
                      My thoughts exactly - cooper strikes me as the kind of guy that will never stand up for the integrity of the show, it's characters or the actors and will do whatever the suits tell him to do regardless.
                      Where o where is Brad Wright when you need him? It seems no coincidence that RDA's company is out this year and the farce level is up. SG1 always had humor--but in the situations and personalities of the team--not from one liners and farcical situations. There's a place for farce, but IMHO, SG1 is not it.

Comment

Wow – another intelligent and interesting debate today! Thanks to everyone for their warm welcomes. All of the following is just my own opinion, but I couldn’t resist joining in and adding my own point of view b/c it concerns issues about Sam that I have been thinking of long and hard myself.

As I single woman who has put getting an education and a career ahead of romantic relationships, I agree with many of you that the scene in Grace with Jacob was a bit disappointing when I first saw it. Up to that time, Sam had always been portrayed as a confident and self-assured woman that was more interested in her career, her friends, and her work than in a relationship. Why should she need a guy to make her life complete after all?

And yet, the idea of being on her own for the rest of her life did concern her since Jacob was merely a manifestation of her own thoughts and doubts. The idea that she may never have a family of her own and children was clearly something that she was subconsciously struggling with. At the time I first saw the episode, I did see this internal debate as somewhat out of character for Sam. And like Coley, I found it to be rather annoying.

Since then, I have come to the opposite conclusion. If you see the story arc as Sam being in conflict over which guy to choose (Jack or Pete), it does make her look overly weak and indecisive. Unfortunately, it often came across this way from the way the scenes were written.

However, I have recently come to the conclusion that it is not so much about this (at least IMHO). Rather, it is about a woman being in conflict over having to make a choice between having a family (and possibly children) and the one thing she loves most in her life – her work. Although the two are not mutually exclusive, Sam realizes that one will most likely adversely affect the other and rightly agonizes over the choices she is presented with.

In our modern world, it is an issue that many strong, independent women deliberate on a daily basis. I know I do, even though I am well aware that I don’t need a man to make me happy and right now I know I am happier without one. However, I don’t think questioning the path in life that you have taken makes you indecisive or weak. I don’t think the desire to not be alone does either. In fact, to me it makes Sam more human, and yes, even stronger.

In Grace, she finally honestly acknowledges to herself that this issue has been worrying her and she does make a decision in the end – she decides to open up her life to new experiences instead hiding behind her work and her possible feelings for Jack (depending on your POV). The weak thing would have been for her to just go back to work as usual and to deny that little conversation with herself ever took place. It is a step that many women in her shoes would not have been brave enough to take. Let’s face it – matters of the heart are often more scary to deal with than doing our jobs well and having to face off against our worst enemies.

Did she make the right decisions in exploring this aspect of her life? Not always. Pete was clearly not the one she could share her life with. Did she handle the breakup with him well? Absolutely not – but who does handle these types of situations well? Did TPTB make mistakes in how they chose to portray this? I believe we can all agree on that one. The way I deal with how they portrayed Sam in these situations is to understand that even strong women can make very bad decisions. But at least Sam was brave enough to try.

I do see some of your points and I agree with many of them. I also prefer seeing the Sam from seasons 1-6 – it is a Sci-Fi show after all, not a soap opera. And the TPTB did dwell on this personal side of Sam’s character a little too much in season 7 and especially season 8. We did see Sam angsting over her personal life a few too many times – and they frequently did not write it very well. Unfortunately, all of this did make the character of Sam a target in many areas of the fandom.

But even with the scenes that dealt with her personal life in Affinity and Threads, we still see Sam making both tough, and IMO, very brave decisions. It is always easier to maintain the status quo in your life than to take steps that will completely change everything. It is also difficult to hurt someone you care about. And yet Sam made the right, and brave, decision to end it with Pete (although she did not handle it well).

And personally, although I definitely want to see more of Sam in command, solving problems and fighting bad guys, I would also like to see if Sam learned anything from this journey that she took. Perhaps she came to the conclusion that she was fine without a significant other after all and that she was never truly alone because she has her work, her friends, and Cassie. Or perhaps, she did finally realize that there was someone she could share her life with and still do the job she loves so much. Either way, I do not see the journey she took and the decisions she has made as portraying her as a weak or immature female. On the contrary, IMO it gives her character more depth and strength.

PS - I think this discussion in itself proves a lot. How can Sam be boring or no longer relevant when she inspires such fascinating and relevant debates like this one? I doubt you will see anything like this on other character threads.

Comment

Just an addendum to Sky's very applicable suggestion w/regards to starting XP in safe mode. Since the instructions to start the computer in safe mode and run a system restore aren't available after one shuts down in order to restart in safe mode, here they are out of XP Pro's "Help and Support Center"

To start the computer in safe mode

1. You should print these instructions before continuing. They will not be available after you shut your computer down in step 2.

2. Click Start, click Shut Down, and then, in the drop-down list, click Shut down.

3. In the Shut Down Windows dialog box, click Restart, and then click OK.

4. When you see the message Please select the operating system to start, press F8.

5. Use the arrow keys to highlight the appropriate safe mode option, and then press ENTER.

6. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot system, choose the installation that you need to access using the arrow keys, and then press ENTER.

Notes

In safe mode, you have access to only basic files and drivers (mouse, monitor, keyboard, mass storage, base video, default system services, and no network connections). You can choose the Safe Mode with Networking option, which loads all of the above files and drivers and the essential services and drivers to start networking, or you can choose the Safe Mode with Command Prompt option, which is exactly the same as safe mode except that a command prompt is started instead of the graphical user interface. You can also choose Last Known Good Configuration, which starts your computer using the registry information that was saved at the last shutdown.

Safe mode helps you diagnose problems. If a symptom does not reappear when you start in safe mode, you can eliminate the default settings and minimum device drivers as possible causes. If a newly added device or a changed driver is causing problems, you can use safe mode to remove the device or reverse the change.

There are circumstances where safe mode will not be able to help you, such as when Windows system files that are required to start the system are corrupted or damaged. In this case, the Recovery Console may help you.

NUM LOCK must be off before the arrow keys on the numeric keypad will function.

And here's XP Pro's System Restore in safe mode instructions (the actual instructions are fair useless, but the Notes may be of interest; System Restore is in the right column of entries in the Help and Support Center start page, under "Pick a topic"):

To run System Restore in safe mode

1. Access System Restore through Help and Support.

2. Follow the instructions on your screen.

Notes

To access the System Restore Wizard, click Start, and then click Help and Support. Click Performance and Maintenance, click Using System Restore to undo changes, and then click Run the System Restore Wizard.

While the computer is in safe mode, System Restore does not create any restore points. Therefore, you cannot undo a restoration that you performed when the computer was in safe mode.

You can use System Restore to restore your computer to any restore point while in safe mode. If you cannot start the computer in standard mode, you can use System Restore to restore to a time when you could start the computer without errors.

To restore to a time when your computer started without errors, select a restore point as close to the time you remember it last started without errors.

If System Restore is suspended because of insufficient disk space, you cannot enable it by making more disk space available while in safe mode. You must restart the computer in standard mode and make more disk space available.
                          ...a very cranky blog:http://simhavaktra.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by ann_sgcfan
                            I also liked the idea of Pete, but I do think the writers screwed up with how they portrayed Pete. Sam would not have put up with his crap. The end of Affinity wasn’t in character as AT and many of you pointed out.
                            I'm with you on the *idea* of Pete, but as you say, not the way they screwed up his character. It became more unbelievable that Sam would stay with him, with each passing minute. He was such a straw man.

Maybe because I was able to relate so well with the character at this point, that I liked Grace. I didn’t see Jacob’s words as you need a man in your life to be happy, because I don’t think any relationship will work unless you are both happy with who you are as an individual.
                            I do think one thing Jacob got right about Sam was something to the effect that Sam had stopped trying b/c love always had resulted in pain for her. Think of crazy Jonas, and whether they got together or not, most of the guys that she had a potential of romantic involvement with died, and then the whole other storyline I hate, which shall remain nameless. And then of course what happens? The whole Pete situation results in more pain.

Comment

Originally posted by Melora
                              Wow – another intelligent and interesting debate today! Thanks to everyone for their warm welcomes. All of the following is just my own opinion, but I couldn’t resist joining in and adding my own point of view b/c it concerns issues about Sam that I have been thinking of long and hard myself.

As I single woman who has put getting an education and a career ahead of romantic relationships, I agree with many of you that the scene in Grace with Jacob was a bit disappointing when I first saw it. Up to that time, Sam had always been portrayed as a confident and self-assured woman that was more interested in her career, her friends, and her work than in a relationship. Why should she need a guy to make her life complete after all?

And yet, the idea of being on her own for the rest of her life did concern her since Jacob was merely a manifestation of her own thoughts and doubts. The idea that she may never have a family of her own and children was clearly something that she was subconsciously struggling with. At the time I first saw the episode, I did see this internal debate as somewhat out of character for Sam. And like Coley, I found it to be rather annoying.

Since then, I have come to the opposite conclusion. If you see the story arc as Sam being in conflict over which guy to choose (Jack or Pete), it does make her look overly weak and indecisive. Unfortunately, it often came across this way from the way the scenes were written.

However, I have recently come to the conclusion that it is not so much about this (at least IMHO). Rather, it is about a woman being in conflict over having to make a choice between having a family (and possibly children) and the one thing she loves most in her life – her work. Although the two are not mutually exclusive, Sam realizes that one will most likely adversely affect the other and rightly agonizes over the choices she is presented with.

In our modern world, it is an issue that many strong, independent women deliberate on a daily basis. I know I do, even though I am well aware that I don’t need a man to make me happy and right now I know I am happier without one. However, I don’t think questioning the path in life that you have taken makes you indecisive or weak. I don’t think the desire to not be alone does either. In fact, to me it makes Sam more human, and yes, even stronger.

In Grace, she finally honestly acknowledges to herself that this issue has been worrying her and she does make a decision in the end – she decides to open up her life to new experiences instead hiding behind her work and her possible feelings for Jack (depending on your POV). The weak thing would have been for her to just go back to work as usual and to deny that little conversation with herself ever took place. It is a step that many women in her shoes would not have been brave enough to take. Let’s face it – matters of the heart are often more scary to deal with than doing our jobs well and having to face off against our worst enemies.

Did she make the right decisions in exploring this aspect of her life? Not always. Pete was clearly not the one she could share her life with. Did she handle the breakup with him well? Absolutely not – but who does handle these types of situations well? Did TPTB make mistakes in how they chose to portray this? I believe we can all agree on that one. The way I deal with how they portrayed Sam in these situations is to understand that even strong women can make very bad decisions. But at least Sam was brave enough to try.

I do see some of your points and I agree with many of them. I also prefer seeing the Sam from seasons 1-6 – it is a Sci-Fi show after all, not a soap opera. And the TPTB did dwell on this personal side of Sam’s character a little too much in season 7 and especially season 8. We did see Sam angsting over her personal life a few too many times – and they frequently did not write it very well. Unfortunately, all of this did make the character of Sam a target in many areas of the fandom.

But even with the scenes that dealt with her personal life in Affinity and Threads, we still see Sam making both tough, and IMO, very brave decisions. It is always easier to maintain the status quo in your life than to take steps that will completely change everything. It is also difficult to hurt someone you care about. And yet Sam made the right, and brave, decision to end it with Pete (although she did not handle it well).

And personally, although I definitely want to see more of Sam in command, solving problems and fighting bad guys, I would also like to see if Sam learned anything from this journey that she took. Perhaps she came to the conclusion that she was fine without a significant other after all and that she was never truly alone because she has her work, her friends, and Cassie. Or perhaps, she did finally realize that there was someone she could share her life with and still do the job she loves so much. Either way, I do not see the journey she took and the decisions she has made as portraying her as a weak or immature female. On the contrary, IMO it gives her character more depth and strength.

PS - I think this discussion in itself proves a lot. How can Sam be boring or no longer relevant when she inspires such fascinating and relevant debates like this one? I doubt you will see anything like this on other character threads.
                              A superb and honest post! I especially liked your mention of the courage required to often face a personal issue head-on. Many times, in our lives, this takes much more stamina and bravery than facing the boss or professor! Being a leader requires that kind of self-discipline too and so that adds to Sam's ability to take charge, not only of her personal life, but of her team as well.

So glad you have decided to visit Samanda, Melora! Please continue to add your excellent points to our discussions. This is what we try to do here: respectful debates/sharing of diverse opinions.

Thanks!
                              Last edited by ChopinGal; 13 November 2005, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Hey I'm back I'm back!!!!

Thanks to everyone who has tried to help. Uber actually phoned me at the very time the darn thing finally spluttered into life. Safe mode just dodn't want to work - just hung on a black screen, so I left start up runing and slowly thingsseemed to load up. It took 3 hours to load my computer then add/remove programmes to remove the antivirus I downloaded - bingo! Everything seems fine now. Perhaps I should have uninstalled my old comouter virus programme before downloading a new one.

I just want to say a big thankyou to everyone who has tried to help

You are all amazing - seriously!!

Many thanks to Uber for phoning me.

I just love this thread!!!

Back to the posts!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X