No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Three excellent posts from Forever, Coley and Sky. So many good points, so well made. Wish I could green you all, but as usual I'm locked out of the fridge.

Comment

what would sam wear in dress down day???

jeans and low boots and a pretty tank top (under an overshirt to keep things proper)...and one of her sweet leather jackets
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 1speed4Sam
        Three excellent posts from Forever, Coley and Sky. So many good points, so well made. Wish I could green you all, but as usual I'm locked out of the fridge.
        Couldn't agree more - this is what I love about our thread! Intelligent and thoughtful and honest posts ... the magnificent three just spelled it all out for us: When is being nice being too nice?! And is our favorite actress getting treated fairly?

Being too nice is often a socialization process that begins in childhood for many girls ... be the good girl; don't make waves; make everyone happy. It is still a man's world in many ways - in the boardroom and on the golf course, for example. And, no, I'm not launching a feminist diatribe but Coley raises another troublesome question: Why are some women happy with the overt sexualization of Vala and the non-leadership of Sam? What message does that send to girls? Not a message I'd want to give my daughter or granddaughters!

We want for Amanda what we want for ourselves: respect.

Comment

not that i'm trying to bring the whole daniel/vala debate into it, but i have to wonder

ok, sam has been creamed for dressing in her dress in chimera, by the very same folks who have no issue with vala's assets hanging out.

if sam was chatting up with daniel during a mission she'd be creamed but it's ok for cam to do it.

if sam hopped into daniel's bed (ewwe) she'd be creamed, doubly so for throwing herself at jack insuch a way, but it's ok if vala does it

there's a blatant double standard. and, in many cases, sam's strongest critics are also Daniel's most strident supporters....and are also vala's loudest supporters.

so what's good for vala is bad for sam.

anyone else wonder, if vala was paired up with cameron and not with daniel, if she'd be subject to the same immunity that she has now?

In many ways, i like vala. she brings out a more fun side of daniel than we've seen before. goofy daniel appeals to me more than angsted daniel....but that is meshed iwth the fact that i personally dont' care for the character of vala as a whole. I dont' care for her overt sexuality. i personally think it cheapens the show.

i think that the double standard is blatant and rather sad. what's gonna be funny, anyone wanna bet taht in s10 the focus will turn away from daniel/vala to vala/cameron in deference to the farscape fans adn to try and recapture the magic of that show??? and anyone wanna bet that those very same folks that think vala's the greatest thing since sliced bread will be singing another tune once thier favored actor is left out of the mix????
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
            anyone else wonder, if vala was paired up with cameron and not with daniel, if she'd be subject to the same immunity that she has now?

{snippage}

i think that the double standard is blatant and rather sad.
            Honestly, I think there'd be a lot more fractionalization in certain currently Daniel-centric fan areas if that were the case. I believe some of the fans who crossed into the SG-1 fandom only because BB and CB were going to be on the show would probably not adore Daniel to the same extent. So it would definitely be a different mix. Might even have drawn a distinct line between ex-farscape fans and current SG-1 fans.

mini

EDIT--> BTW, I'm on early season 4 of the Farscape DVDs now. Did they get a whole lot more money to produce seasons 3 and 4 than they had in 1 and 2? It's a whole lot better done.

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
            ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

not that i'm trying to bring the whole daniel/vala debate into it, but i have to wonder

ok, sam has been creamed for dressing in her dress in chimera, by the very same folks who have no issue with vala's assets hanging out.

if sam was chatting up with daniel during a mission she'd be creamed but it's ok for cam to do it.

if sam hopped into daniel's bed (ewwe) she'd be creamed, doubly so for throwing herself at jack insuch a way, but it's ok if vala does it

there's a blatant double standard. and, in many cases, sam's strongest critics are also Daniel's most strident supporters....and are also vala's loudest supporters.

so what's good for vala is bad for sam.

In many ways, i like vala. she brings out a more fun side of daniel than we've seen before. goofy daniel appeals to me more than angsted daniel....but that is meshed iwth the fact that i personally dont' care for the character of vala as a whole. I dont' care for her overt sexuality. i personally think it cheapens the show.

i think that the double standard is blatant and rather sad. what's gonna be funny, anyone wanna bet taht in s10 the focus will turn away from daniel/vala to vala/cameron in deference to the farscape fans adn to try and recapture the magic of that show??? and anyone wanna bet that those very same folks that think vala's the greatest thing since sliced bread will be singing another tune once thier favored actor is left out of the mix????
              The magic of cancellation?
              Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

i agree with forever. i think AT is way too nice and everyone massively takes her for granted.

pehaps, because she's not in there whining about having too few lines that they don't care if they cut her lines down. she's there, she's dependable, she c an be counted on and so they count on her. they run roughshod over her, and they know she won't complain, so they sacrifice her to keep the others happy

and shoulld she dare to speak up and complain...well she gets pegged as being the primadona witch while if hte boys speak up, then they're just doing what any actor would do, take care of themseves and their career

from a professional pov, i shake my head, but from a personal one, well her attitude just proves what a good person she is.

Well said ForeverSG-1, Coley and Skydiver! I couldn't green any of you, but I did want to say you all make great points. All of them I could respond too. In fact I have started this post a number of times too agree with many of your comments only to start again to calm my response because I like you have been frustrated this year.

Yes Season 9 worries me. Season 10 scares me! I think AT is extremely nice and it is a sad day when people take advantage of that. I don't think she is naive though. I think she sees what is going on. However, seeing it take place is one thing, but being able to stop it is another matter all together. I'm sure she doesn't want to be labeled as a self absorbed actress, because she makes speaks up no matter how justified she is in her actions.

Comment

I agree with Sky that less intense Daniel is better. However I wish it could be Sam who brought that out of him. The 2 could have been good for each other.

Also what will happen to Teal'c. He shared some great scenes with Sam, what are the prospects of sharing the same with Vala? Is Daniel to be the only one with any significant interplay with Vala? If so what sort of eps will we get when Vala makes an appearance? Everybody else make way for the Daniel and Vala show? I can't see BB being happy with that. In fact if I was him I would be worried about his SG1 Command. The way the boy Coop is going he'll be having Vala take the lead in no time at all.

TPTB must be amnesic if they take up Vala and Cam as the significant lead in the show. Forgive me if I'm wrong but BB and CB Were a pair and the main characters in Farscape - and didn't that show get cancelled???

Comment

Originally posted by ann_sgcfan
                    Well said ForeverSG-1, Coley and Skydiver! I couldn't green any of you, but I did want to say you all make great points. All of them I could respond too. In fact I have started this post a number of times too agree with many of your comments only to start again to calm my response because I like you have been frustrated this year.

Yes Season 9 worries me. Season 10 scares me! I think AT is extremely nice and it is a sad day when people take advantage of that. I don't think she is naive though. I think she sees what is going on. However, seeing it take place is one thing, but being able to stop it is another matter all together. I'm sure she doesn't want to be labeled as a self absorbed actress, because she makes speaks up no matter how justified she is in her actions.

This is a great post and wise words.

I hope Amanda is fully aware and making her own battle plans

It still leaves me confused as to why she would sign for another season when she is obviously in demand from outside Stargate? But that is up to Amanda to decide. I just want the best for her - and that is what makes her happy both professionally and privately. I will still watch her in SG1 when she makes an appearance. Though if Vala is in the show I will be slugging back the sloe gin somewhat! I couldn't watch it sober.

Why couldn't they make Vala a better character WHY?????

Comment

Well you're not locked out on my account!! Huff, huff

Comment

Originally posted by Coley

Fantasy and Sci Fi lacks believable female role models. In Buffy Charmed etc the female leads play fantasy characters. They are hero's becuase of their super powers. They are all young, beautiful, and dressed sexily in the main. Is the message to females - you actually can't be a hero - because female heros exist only in fantasy. Vala is a type of fantasy like character. I mean what sort of self respecting alien would dress and act like that.

If Vala was a one off character who got her comeuppance, or who very quickly saw the stupidity of her ways I may be happier. What worries me is young females who think she is great? Alarm bells ringing. She may be an interesting character, but not one who should be admired or viewed as good fun, she should be despised like Kinsey. I just wonder where the young women of today are headed. Every woman who ever watched stargate should understand the value of Samantha Carter over Vala. I am amazed by those who prefer Vala to Sam. I suspect if these people were on the recieving and of a Vala in real life they may think differently.

Thanks for saying this, Coley! I've been thinking along the same lines for a while now. The major reason I like Sam so much compared to the female leads in other sci fi/fantasy shows is because she is believable. (within the context of science fiction, that is) She doesn't live in the distant future and she doesn't have super powers. Yet she is a hero in the traditional sense of the word. Sam has been one of the very few women in television I've seen who exists in our time, and gets to go out and save the day along with the guys.

Young boys growing up have plenty of role models in fiction to emulate if they want to imagine being fighter pilots or action heroes or even cowboys. But young girls don't get those same kinds of models. Sam has been an exception. I agree with you, Coley, when you wonder about young females who think that Vala is great. Is it because they believe that's the way of the world? That the best way to achieve your goals is to lie, cheat and scheme, and dress in a way to distract everyone around you? I certainly hope not.

Sci fi has been full of females who dressed like Vala, although few behaved like her unless they were villains. If TPTB reduce Sam's role in favor of Vala, they are not only taking away one of the best female characters in televison, but they're replacing her with yet another scantily dressed women, whose behavior is not heroic at all, but self serving. It may still be science fiction, but it certainly doesn't sound like SG-1.

NC

Comment

Fear not, my dear Jester. I doubt the RA will be able to keep up with, never mind get close enough to, me and my new cycle.

And if she does happen to get lucky, then the Samanda Bike Patrol will be on her trail before you can say "Holy Hannah!!!".
                          Gafaw!!! you'd need a push downhill to start on that thing or It would take you an hour to get up to normal cycling speed!!

The way is geared I tell ya

As for the cycling patrol - mmm may just fall off accidentally on purpose!!

Comment

Originally posted by NearlyCircular
                            Thanks for saying this, Coley! I've been thinking along the same lines for a while now. The major reason I like Sam so much compared to the female leads in other sci fi/fantasy shows is because she is believable. (within the context of science fiction, that is) She doesn't live in the distant future and she doesn't have super powers. Yet she is a hero in the traditional sense of the word. Sam has been one of the very few women in television I've seen who exists in our time, and gets to go out and save the day along with the guys.

Young boys growing up have plenty of role models in fiction to emulate if they want to imagine being fighter pilots or action heroes or even cowboys. But young girls don't get those same kinds of models. Sam has been an exception. I agree with you, Coley, when you wonder about young females who think that Vala is great. Is it because they believe that's the way of the world? That the best way to achieve your goals is to lie, cheat and scheme, and dress in a way to distract everyone around you? I certainly hope not.

Sci fi has been full of females who dressed like Vala, although few behaved like her unless they were villains. If TPTB reduce Sam's role in favor of Vala, they are not only taking away one of the best female characters in televison, but they're replacing her with yet another scantily dressed women, whose behavior is not heroic at all, but self serving. It may still be science fiction, but it certainly doesn't sound like SG-1.

NC
                            I loved this post.

Exactly!!! Much more eloquent than I.

Many thanks!!

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                              Couldn't agree more - this is what I love about our thread! Intelligent and thoughtful and honest posts ... the magnificent three just spelled it all out for us: When is being nice being too nice?! And is our favorite actress getting treated fairly?

Being too nice is often a socialization process that begins in childhood for many girls ... be the good girl; don't make waves; make everyone happy. It is still a man's world in many ways - in the boardroom and on the golf course, for example. And, no, I'm not launching a feminist diatribe but Coley raises another troublesome question: Why are some women happy with the overt sexualization of Vala and the non-leadership of Sam? What message does that send to girls? Not a message I'd want to give my daughter or granddaughters!

We want for Amanda what we want for ourselves: respect.

Excellent points ChopinGal!! Especially the parts that I bolded. Well said!

Comment

I agree with Kat, Coley, CG, Sky et al and see the same thing happening too. All I need to know is if we're right or not and I can clear up my Friday viewing habits pretty quickly.

I am so frustrated and angry by what I sense is happening to both Amanda and Sam that I'm refraining from posting here lest I go from Royal Pain in the Mik'ta to Royal Whiner Extraordinaire...

So instead let's come up with some designs, sayings, etc. that would look great on t-shirts, mugs and so forth. We can even make it a little contest if we'd like and the winners get...well, something. Maybe an autographed picture? A DVD? A keychain?!???? I don't know. Something though.

So let's come up with some concepts. I first would like to suggest mini's Sam Carter picture...although I'd like to see it in another color than brown. Blue perhaps? And I can tell there's more detail in the clothing too. Maybe she can do several different pictures with that same style! That'd be cool.

And a little twist...what if it had a positive/negative affect, like sliced down the middle? What do you think minigeek?

I wonder how much leeway we have with copyrighted images too. Since this is not for profit and since it's just for us, maybe we have more wiggle room with this regard. I'd love to see some of our banners as bumper stickers for instance...

And maybe we can send some of our completely original designs to RCC as a little reminder as to what he has because clearly he's forgotten the fact that SG-1 needs to have strong, competent leading women on his show that are based on things other than their sexuality. Whoops...there's that negativity again...

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Working...
                                X