Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1speed4Sam
    Just to lighten the mood and get back vaguely on-topic, what a brilliant idea - "Dress-Down Friday at the SGC". Personally, I'd go for Hawaiian shirts all round, brighten the place up a bit. Or maybe 1969 (Slight Return)?

Anybody else got any suggestions?
    I love this thought! Let's play "Dress-down Friday at the SGC"! What would everyone wear?!

Yes, Teal'c would definitely match you, Tone: a bright orange Hawaiian shirt along with bermuda shorts and sandals .... Plus his mandatory hat - possibly a baseball cap, no a straw hat to go with the island motif of his shirt!

I have to run ... anyone else want to finish the picture with the rest of the team?!

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
      Hey There, you of the tuna buttie persuasion ... I was thinking the same thing only yesterday. I always scan the number of posts/hits at other threads and this caught my attention. Sam chasing Daniel ... hehehe ... in a non-shipping way of course!

As to giving 1speed's cycle a bit of a nudge ... something like this?

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11...l/BikeFlip.jpg

Or is this 1speed just flipping over Sam?!
      Hey Jester. About time you were up!

Pot of Tea, Toast and Honey, Fluffy slippers and SAGCT - what a way to start the weekend!!

Like the photo!! As it happens old 1speed has demonstrated that particular stunt in reality. Albeit by accident. That was back in the days he rode a geared bike and could muster up enough momentum to get launched over the handlebars when the front wheel went down a rut. Laugh me??

Comment

Originally posted by Lys
        I see that the Reality Show plague has become a pandemia. I used to watch a lot television but ever since those boring and idiotic shows began, I'm not a big TV watcher anymore. I usually turn it on for Stargate ( that's 3 months a year for me. I am SO glad I have the DVDs ! ) and the news if I'm lucky enough to come home before they end. And even the news tend to turn on reality shows now.
        LOL ... I thought it was just "the dumbing down of America" but you're writing from France ... so it really is a pandemic!! I'm about like you, Lys - very little telly watching and love my DVDs! Besides, who can watch reality shows when one is busy writing poems and Samfic!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Coley
          Hey Jester. About time you were up!

Pot of Tea, Toast and Honey, Fluffy slippers and SAGCT - what a way to start the weekend!!

Like the photo!! As it happens old 1speed has demonstrated that particular stunt in reality. Albeit by accident. That was back in the days he rode a geared bike and could muster up enough momentum to get launched over the handlebars when the front wheel went down a rut. Laugh me??
          My dear Royal Accountant, you are e-v-i-l and quite competitive on the trails! 1speed, beware! Methinks that the bean counter will try to "bring you down to size" ... that is, her clothing size matching Amanda's!!

Comment

Originally posted by Miz_Gatez
            OMG Chopin! How do you DO that? Where are you hiding your poetry generator? 'Cos that (and every single poem I've read of yours) is FANTASTIC!
            Thank you so much for your kind words. Sometimes these poems write themselves and often in the middle of the night. This particular tribute to "the young and the brave" came partly from my own experience years ago.

My best friend lost her two brothers within one week during the Vietnam War. The 21-year-old was dying of cancer in an army hospital while his 19-year-old brother stepped on a mine in Vietnam and died in line of duty. We were in our 20s and I don't think I will ever forget attending that funeral. Two coffins, side by side, the one closed and the other showing a beautiful, unmarred face, a young man who should have been sleeping and having the rest of his life ahead. That was the first time that I needed to express myself in a poem and I wrote then. Now, years later, I watch other young faces on the nightly news ... taken too soon by other wars and conflicts. And a new poem was born.

I must thank my fellow Samandans for all the beautiful and touching posts you've made these past 24 hours ... once again, Samanda is a place of kindness and sensitivity.

Peace, CG

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
              I have to admit I had never heard of Kaysar either as I'm not a big television watcher. I honestly didn't even know there had been a Big Brother television show let alone Big Brother #6 LOL. However, from what I have read on the internet over five million Americans voted for Kaysar to remain on the show. Even if Stargate fans were united in their opinions and we all voted for Amanda, I don't thing we could truly compete with the number of people who seem to watch this show.

So I'm just happy that Amanda made it on the list at all. I think Amanda making it on the list was a positive thing for her and the Stargate franchise. Even if she didn't stay on it for long, it may have peaked at least one readers interest as to who she was and they may choose to watch an episode of Stargate.

Me too! I was pleasantly surprised that she made it on the list! I thought that was really great!

Comment

LOL ... I thought it was just "the dumbing down of America" but you're writing from France ... so it really is a pandemic!! I'm about like you, Lys - very little telly watching and love my DVDs! Besides, who can watch reality shows when one is busy writing poems and Samfic!!!!!
                Well, it's more "international dumbing down" now. And I'd go further: who can watch reality shows ? I suggest we put all of the reality shows celebrities on a huge spaceship (I'm afraid Prometheus and Daedalus alone would be a little short and lack space for them ) and send them to the Ori. After endless hours watching those so entertaining shows they wouldn't stand it and they'd leave us to our mediocrity and insanity. Exit the Ori and exit the shows ! Woooohoooo !!!! Sounds like a plan.
                Kingdom of Samanda : Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

Originally posted by Lys
                  Well, it's more "international dumbing down" now. And I'd go further: who can watch reality shows ? I suggest we put all of the reality shows celebrities on a huge spaceship (I'm afraid Prometheus and Daedalus alone would be a little short and lack space for them ) and send them to the Ori. After endless hours watching those so entertaining shows they wouldn't stand it and they'd leave us to our mediocrity and insanity. Exit the Ori and exit the shows ! Woooohoooo !!!! Sounds like a plan.
                  I thought the reality show people were priors.
                  They are here to indoctrinate us into the hoplesness of humanity and to prove to us that 6 hours of prostration isnt the worst thing in the universe.
                  Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Thank you so much for your kind words. Sometimes these poems write themselves and often in the middle of the night. This particular tribute to "the young and the brave" came partly from my own experience years ago.

My best friend lost her two brothers within one week during the Vietnam War. The 21-year-old was dying of cancer in an army hospital while his 19-year-old brother stepped on a mine in Vietnam and died in line of duty. We were in our 20s and I don't think I will ever forget attending that funeral. Two coffins, side by side, the one closed and the other showing a beautiful, unmarred face, a young man who should have been sleeping and having the rest of his life ahead. That was the first time that I needed to express myself in a poem and I wrote then. Now, years later, I watch other young faces on the nightly news ... taken too soon by other wars and conflicts. And a new poem was born.

I must thank my fellow Samandans for all the beautiful and touching posts you've made these past 24 hours ... once again, Samanda is a place of kindness and sensitivity.

Peace, CG

ChopinGal, thanks for sharing with us this touching experience with your best friend. And thanks to all those who wrote so many thoughtful posts. And Strix---thanks for the lovely pictures.

Posts like these put things in perspective (which I can easily lose sight of at times!)

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan
                      I thought the reality show people were priors.
                      They are here to indoctrinate us into the hoplesness of humanity and to prove to us that 6 hours of prostration isnt the worst thing in the universe.
                      I don't think the priors are that bad. Unlike the reality show people, they believe in what they're telling us poor soon to be worshippers of the Ori.
                      I have yet to find such faith coming from the TV reality shows. Oh wait ! They don't have to show us faith, we are already worshipping the little box in the corner and sending prayers to saint Ratings. They just have to keep us brainwashed.
                      Kingdom of Samanda : Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

Is Amanda too nice??

I've been pondering over this question for days now trying to figure out what is going on at Stargate and why Sam/AT seem to always be at the center of controversy.

I keep hearing how Daniel or Jack are the heart of the show and that they are the reasons for people to come back. I hear people shout and scream how much they detest the character of Sam and recently people have been actively posting vile comments regarding Amanda as well. However, one thing I have noticed with much of the controversy is that much of it always seems to revolve around Sam.

Will Sam and Jack ever get together?
                        Will Sam dump Pete?
                        Who will lead SG-1? Mitchell or Sam?
                        Who will be the leading lady on SG-1 come season 10? Sam or Vala?

When was the last time you really heard any controversy regarding any of the other characters?

Sure people post questions and comments regarding their favorite characters, but television has been a medium where controversy and cliff-hangers draw people's attention. It's what keeps people talking during the down time and draws them back in. There are always two sides, those people who enjoy what they are seeing and those who don't and it's that difference in opinions that keeps things interesting and alive. And for Stargate that seems to involve Sam a great deal of the time.

For the past four years, the writers have written Sam to create havoc among the fans and much of what is written has been against Amanda's personal opinion. She has vocally expressed her concerns about particular storylines and the ways the writers have written Sam and yet TPTB choose to do it anyway.

And yet from what I have seen on the DVD's and read in interviews, Amanda is a favorite among the directors and guests.

She is always on her mark, normally capable of filming a scene (even a complicated one ) in one or two takes. She is always paying attention to what's going on in a scene,even when the camera isn't on her, so that the director's know they can rely on her for cut-away scenes. She's capable of memorizing ungodly amounts of boring technobabble dialogue and goes out of her way to make sure she somewhat understands what she's saying. And from what I have read from many of the guest stars, they seem to truly enjoy working with her as she she goes out of her way to make them all feel welcomed.

So why does so much of the controvery seem to revolve around Sam/AT? My guess is that Amanda is just too damn nice. The writers/directors know that whatever they ask Amanda to do she will do graciously. She may not like it and she may question their decision, but in the end Amanda will be someone they can count on to get the job done. I truly believe this is one of the reasons they are looking at pushing Sam into a cross-over position. I believe that they are feeling heat from higher up to bring Vala on full time and they took advantage of the fact that they could always rely on Amanda regardless of what they did with the character of Sam.

For years she has had to put up with repeated questions regarding Sam and Jack be it from fans or magazines. Yet you rarely read about anyone asking RDA this sort of question. Why is that? The Sam and Jack issue involved two people, so why is it that Amanda is always the one to be asked? Did RDA just refuse to answer such questions regarding his character? Or were interviewers just too afraid to bring it up? And now she has the whole leadership issue with Mitchell to contend with as well as wondering if she's being pushed aside for a new character.

People may dislike, even hate, what the writers have done to Sam over the past few years and some may feel as if Sam has taken the limelight from other characters, but Amanda has nothing to do with this. She is merely a pawn being used by the those in command. I can not believe that people are being so hateful to the actress simply because they do not like what the writers have done with her character. They say that Sam is a horrible character and that Amanda is a poor actress and yet if this is the case why do the writers continuously put Sam into a position where Sam and AT are taking the heat for most of the controversy regarding the show?

Perhaps it's because they have always known they could rely on Amanda no matter what they ask of her and maybe she's just too damn nice.
                        Last edited by ForeverSg1; 12 November 2005, 07:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                          Is Amanda too nice??

I've been pondering over this question for days now trying to figure out what is going on at Stargate and why Sam/AT seem to always be at the center of controversy.

I keep hearing how Daniel or Jack are the heart of the show and that they are the reasons for people to come back. I hear people shout and scream how much they detest the character of Sam and recently people have been actively posting vile comments regarding Amanda as well. However, one thing I have noticed with much of the controversy is that much of it always seems to revolve around Sam.

Will Sam and Jack ever get together?
                          Will Sam dump Pete?
                          Who will lead SG-1? Mitchell or Sam?
                          Who will be the leading lady on SG-1 come season 10? Sam or Vala?

When was the last time you really heard any controversy regarding any of the other characters?

Sure people post questions and comments regarding their favorite characters, but television has been a medium where controversy and cliff-hangers draw people's attention. It's what keeps people talking during the down time and draws them back in. There are always two sides, those people who enjoy what they are seeing and those who don't and it's that difference in opinions that keeps things interesting and alive. And for Stargate that seems to involve Sam a great deal of the time.

For the past four years, the writers have written Sam to create havoc among the fans and much of what is written has been against Amanda's personal opinion. She has vocally expressed her concerns about particular storylines and the ways the writers have written Sam and yet TPTB choose to do it anyway.

And yet from what I have seen on the DVD's and read in interviews, Amanda is a favorite among the directors and guests.

She is always on her mark, normally capable of filming a scene (even a complicated one ) in one or two takes. She is always paying attention to what's going on in a scene,even when the camera isn't on her, so that the director's know they can rely on her for cut-away scenes. She's capable of memorizing ungodly amounts of boring technobabble dialogue and goes out of her way to make sure she somewhat understands what she's saying. And from what I have read from many of the guest stars, they seem to truly enjoy working with her as she she goes out of her way to make them all feel welcomed.

So why does so much of the controvery seem to revolve around Sam/AT? My guess is that Amanda is just too damn nice. The writers/directors know that whatever they ask Amanda to do she will do graciously. She may not like it and she may question their decision, but in the end Amanda will be someone they can count on to get the job done. I truly believe this is one of the reasons they are looking at pushing Sam into a cross-over position. I believe that they are feeling heat from higher up to bring Vala on full time and they took advantage of the fact that they could always rely on Amanda regardless of what they did with the character of Sam.

For years she has had to put up with repeated questions regarding Sam and Jack be it from fans or magazines. Yet you rarely read about anyone asking RDA this sort of question. Why is that? The Sam and Jack issue involved two people, so why is it that Amanda is always the one to be asked? Did RDA just refuse to answer such questions regarding his character? Or were interviewers just too afraid to bring it up? And now she has the whole leadership issue with Mitchell to contend with as well as wondering if she's being pushed aside for a new character.

People may dislike, even hate, what the writers have done to Sam over the past few years and some may feel as if Sam has taken the limelight from other characters, but Amanda has nothing to do with this. She is merely a pawn being used by the those in command. I can not believe that people are being so hateful to the actress simply because they do not like what the writers have done with her character. They say that Sam is a horrible character and that Amanda is a poor actress and yet if this is the case why do the writers continuously put Sam into a position where Sam and AT are taking the heat for most of the controversy regarding the show?

Perhaps it's because they have always known they could rely on Amanda no matter what they ask of her and maybe she's just too damn nice.
                          This is a very thought provoking post Kat.

It has been reported - and admitted by AT that certainly a number of years ago she didn't have the confidence to stick up for herself. I believe her make up artist bought her a book titled "How to Say No" Jan then remarked that she didn't read it!!! Maybe she is still too willing to do what is asked and unwilling to rock the boat.

She has made no secret about how she loves working on SG1 and wouldn't want to leave - so yes I guess in the producers eyes could be taken as they can do what they want to the character.

We do not know exactly what is going on over at the Bridge - other than the character of Samantha Carter has been degraded since the start of season 7 little by little - which coincided with RDA taking a reduced role, Rob Coop becoming Exec producer and Sci Fi taking over the franchise.

My own very cynical belief is someone who is responsible for making decisions about SG1 just doesn't like a strong, intelligent, inspiring female character on a sci fi show - and certainly not one in her late 30's, early 40's. She was most certainly the main character in seasons 5 and 6, since when her role and character has been diminished.

Diminished because with RDA leaving a strong Carter must be put in command of SG1 without question and thus potentially Amanda in the lead role in the show. I strongly believe that TPTB do not want a female lead in SG1. Reducing her importance and credibility has gone a long way to be able to edge her out of the lead spot, bringing in Ben Browder - a typical action boy hero - as the lead.

For years Amanda palyed a female sci fi role which didn't require any form of overt sexual display (apart from a few occasions). Hopefully those people who stop and think about things can see just how valuable and influential such a character can be for young women - and older women for that matter. Those that really can't think beyond what character they like and want to see more of will chose to dislike Sam and Amanda simply because the charcater represents a barrier to what they want to happen in the show. I suspect most fans who dislike Sam and Amanda are MS and CB fans (I know there are exceptions SunKrux).

Thus I believe these fans who chose to trash a perfectly good character represent a small minority. We here in fandom are a small percentage compared to the enourmous amount of people who watch and love the show. I can't believe any of them have really strong views about any of the main cast. They will just love the show.

Someone up there in their ivory tower thinks that the best way of increasing the viewing figures and profitability of the franchise obviously thinks they need to dumb the show down and aim for the young male audience. Thus ease out Beutiful intelligent Sam Carter and ease in overt flaunting sex tease Vala. I just can't express enough my disapointment in this direction. Is this really what young men want to watch? Or are TPTB way off the mark? I think they would go for a great action Sam leader as much as Vala.

Fantasy and Sci Fi lacks believable female role models. In Buffy Charmed etc the female leads play fantasy characters. They are hero's becuase of their super powers. They are all young, beautiful, and dressed sexily in the main. Is the message to females - you actually can't be a hero - because female heros exist only in fantasy. Vala is a type of fantasy like character. I mean what sort of self respecting alien would dress and act like that.

Women who use their sexuality to get what they want have little truck with me. We should want to earn our place as equals and we all have the ability to do just that. Sleezing our way to what we want just makes us something to be pitied, as depite of making fools of men along the way, it is men who are in charge and will stay in charge, they get the last laugh.

If Vala was a one off character who got her comeuppance, or who very quickly saw the stupidity of her ways I may be happier. What worries me is young females who think she is great? Alarm bells ringing. She may be an interesting character, but not one who should be admired or viewed as good fun, she should be despised like Kinsey. I just wonder where the young women of today are headed. Every woman who ever watched stargate should understand the value of Samantha Carter over Vala. I am amazed by those who prefer Vala to Sam. I suspect if these people were on the recieving and of a Vala in real life they may think differently.

Back to Amanda. I still stand by our original report from GABIT. Our view was that Amanda wasn't 100% pleased with the goings on, but she joked about it, she didn't moan about it. Maybe the boy Coop spun her some line about developing the character in a different direction. My bet is that they just want her to sign as to lose Sam now would cause uproar (we all saw what happened on Gateworld). They can then reduce her role further in season 10, establish Vala, then when they get rid of Sam in season 11 (if there is one) the loss won't be felt as much, a new audience and different expectations will have been won. I'm sure Amanda is in the dark over a lot of this. She doesn't see the interviews in which Rob Coop doesn't mention her at all but oozes over Claudia Black (his oozing is just too much to be palitable and I bet CB is very embarrased about it). Remember last year Amanda was surprised to hear that BB would have the same rank as her. The writers certainly kept that one from her. I think Amanda expected to come back after her pregnancy still in command of SG1. I'm sure they will keep her enough in the dark to ensure she signs again. Once she signs they can do what they want with her. 20 eps doesn't promise decent exposure in any of them.

I personally am very surprised in one respect she is so happy about the season 10 prospects for Sam and that she is so willing to sign. She even said in her press release that she would turn down the lead in the other series if it conflicted with SG1. I think this is very sad. She is a great actor. capable of so much more than Sam Carter. 2 films and a lead in a series would be a fantastic platform for her to leave the show and build up credibility as a talented diverse actor. In another respect she loves working with the people, she may find it hard to leave all her friends behind. That Kat is the niceness of Amanda!

I only hope she manages to secure an agreement to direct, which is a direction she wants to go in. Maybe that for her would be a suitable compromise to reducing her status on the show.

To be honest I would have hoped Amanda would stick up a little bit more for herself. Her press release isn't the Amanda I thought I knew. It also told fans not to be upset at the changing role of Carter - as she is thrilled about it - that one had me gobsmacked I can tell you!

I can well believe Amanda is too nice to believe she will be eased out of the show to any great extent. I doubt her mind works that way to even think that that Rob Coop would do that.

To my mind, if they want to bring in Vala for more than a few episodes, CB may have quite rightly asked to make it worth her while - make a strong role for her in as many eps as they can - then she could relocate to Vancouver for a year. How could the drooling Rob Coop say no!!

Right I think this is my longest post ever, apologies if is doesn't flow very well!!

Comment

i agree with forever. i think AT is way too nice and everyone massively takes her for granted.

pehaps, because she's not in there whining about having too few lines that they don't care if they cut her lines down. she's there, she's dependable, she c an be counted on and so they count on her. they run roughshod over her, and they know she won't complain, so they sacrifice her to keep the others happy

and shoulld she dare to speak up and complain...well she gets pegged as being the primadona witch while if hte boys speak up, then they're just doing what any actor would do, take care of themseves and their career

from a professional pov, i shake my head, but from a personal one, well her attitude just proves what a good person she is.
                            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I love this thought! Let's play "Dress-down Friday at the SGC"! What would everyone wear?!

Yes, Teal'c would definitely match you, Tone: a bright orange Hawaiian shirt along with bermuda shorts and sandals .... Plus his mandatory hat - possibly a baseball cap, no a straw hat to go with the island motif of his shirt!

I have to run ... anyone else want to finish the picture with the rest of the team?!
                              Sam's wearing a REALLY short skirt and Jack's drooling all over his leather jacket. The fact that she's wearing tennis shoes and has lab glooves & goggles on for her experiment doesn't bother him
                              - Miz

Proud Samandan (blue jello all the way!! )

Proud Anti-S9 Forumer (Pro-Original SG-1)

SG-1
                              Not your average world-saving squad!!

Comment

My dear Royal Accountant, you are e-v-i-l and quite competitive on the trails! 1speed, beware! Methinks that the bean counter will try to "bring you down to size" ... that is, her clothing size matching Amanda's!!
                                Fear not, my dear Jester. I doubt the RA will be able to keep up with, never mind get close enough to, me and my new cycle.

And if she does happen to get lucky, then the Samanda Bike Patrol will be on her trail before you can say "Holy Hannah!!!".

Comment

Working...
                                X