Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Traveler Enroute1
    Hello, Samanda! Flyin' in for a quick swoop. *waves to all*

Found an article that seems so apropos here, it's a view on women in power esp in the media! And just who might that remind me of? Wow, you guessed: Samantha Carter! Here's the link:

http://www.thenation.com/doc/20051114/pollitt

I hope you find it as interesting as I did. The parallels of AT/SC's situation at SGC/TPTB and this nicely done (and humorous) article are food for thought. Enjoy!

Just sayin', back when RL let's me.
    Loved the article, thanks for the link!
    In the Kingdom of Hope, there is no Winter

Life is too short for drama & petty things,
    so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly & forgive quickly!

Attendee of Shore Leave28, AT2 and AVALON
    Proud Member of the Sam is a Great Character Thread
    Hic Comitas Regit
    Member of the Ship, Ship Hooray Special Ops Team
    Member of Gategrrlz Gone Wild (proud Shore Leave 28 attendee).

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
      it's a cookies thing. a cookie (unless you have to log in to vote) is how the web page knows you've been there

and throwing away cookies would have nothing to do with a virus.

in fact, tossing your temp internet folders and cookies is actually a good thing. i personally hate to do it because then if i toss my temp pages then it takes pages longer to load and i hate remembering all those passwords that my cookies remember for me
      Gee, I hope no one "tosses their cookies." Too much time at the Royal Liquor cabinet? Overload of wedding cake?

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
        Atteria and I researched this during the summer and I believe the correct nominative case is "comitas". I can always recheck though ...
        Well I don't know Latin, so I'll go with the research. I just couldn't find comitas in that context via google (when I was looking it up many moons ago before I realized what it must mean - d'oh!) - It's all Latin to me! lol

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
        ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

mini, doesn't Uber mean the terrific vector you just showed us?! Wow, that would make quite a t-shirt! I think Mary Beth is on to something!

All proceeds could go to a scholarship fund for female sci-fi writers ... increasing the vanguard for future positions on television series which will take the role of a woman seriously and let future Sam Carters "be all that they can be"!

Am I babbling ... it's late, I'm still at work ... blood sugar levels are fluctuating ...
          I think this is a great idea. Something that's definitely needed seeing what TPTB are doing (or not doing) with their strong and intelligent female character.
          In the Kingdom of Hope, there is no Winter

Life is too short for drama & petty things,
          so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly & forgive quickly!

Attendee of Shore Leave28, AT2 and AVALON
          Proud Member of the Sam is a Great Character Thread
          Hic Comitas Regit
          Member of the Ship, Ship Hooray Special Ops Team
          Member of Gategrrlz Gone Wild (proud Shore Leave 28 attendee).

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
            Well I don't know Latin, so I'll go with the research. I just couldn't find comitas in that context via google (when I was looking it up many moons ago before I realized what it must mean - d'oh!) - It's all Latin to me! lol
            Okay, I rechecked my source just to be sure and this is the scoop:

Hic means "here"

Comitas, comitatis, feminine, noun means: "politeness, courtesy; kindness, generosity, friendliness; good taste and elegance" too

Now I remember why we settled on this particular noun - because it had such a rich translation and any one of these words could fit Amanda and the kingdom of Samanda.

Regit, as a verb, means "rules or reigns".

There you have it: "Hic comitas regit"

Comment

Okay, I rechecked my source just to be sure and this is the scoop:

Hic means "here"

Comitas, comitatis, feminine, noun means: "politeness, courtesy; kindness, generosity, friendliness; good taste and elegance" too

Now I remember why we settled on this particular noun - because it had such a rich translation and any one of these words could fit Amanda and the kingdom of Samanda.

Regit, as a verb, means "rules or reigns".

There you have it: "Hic comitas regit"
              Coool.

What about the order of the words? Would they be in that order if someone said "Here kindness reins" in Latin? (Ack don't get me wrong, I'm really truly just curious to learn!!) - I know with French (waay back when I was learning) the order in which the words appeared in the sentence wasn't always the same as it was in English. Where's Daniel Jackson when you need him, darn it!

EDIT-> 400!! I made 400 posts! Yikes! That's a lot of typing!

Comment

In Latin, the order of the words doesn't matter. The verb tends to go at the end, but placement is quite flexible and depends solely in the author's choice of emphasis.
                SQUEE like no one's listening.

Comment

WOW Mini has hit 400 in the post count

My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

Congrats Mini!

"But that man who has known the immense unhappiness of losing a friend, by what name do we call him? Here every language is silent and holds its peace in impotence." ~In memory of Whistler84...loved and missed but never, never forgotten. Safe journey, my dear friend. Love you.

HIC COMITAS REGIT How long until Shore Leave 29???

Comment

This shipper heart is officially brightened... I've been dying to see more pics from that little photoshoot.... hopefully someone finds the box they stashed em in one day and puts em online...

Oooh & AD if you do hear about Amanda coming down here lemme know!! I'll be there, bells n all

Oh, sally, but you'll always have this ...

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11...l/IMG_0819.jpg

And, they did have a wedding cake! Here are a few more piccis that show other details of that scene ...

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11...l/IMG_0765.jpg
                      http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11...l/IMG_0773.jpg
                      http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11...l/IMG_0766.jpg

It would have been great if more of this footage had somehow gotten used in the episode ... like Sam having a flashback of their wedding rather than just looking at the photo on the night table.

Hope I've brightened a few shipper hearts just now!
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by cafine_us
                        In Latin, the order of the words doesn't matter. The verb tends to go at the end, but placement is quite flexible and depends solely in the author's choice of emphasis.
                        That is so cool. Ok, so they must have had a lot of ..... interesting ..... conversations back then, huh? No wonder everyone was a poet!

Comment

And thanks everyone for the congrats. Ha, 400 pints of hot air from the minigeek.

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
                            And thanks everyone for the congrats. Ha, 400 pints of hot air from the minigeek.
                            Hot, intelligent, thought-provoking, awesome air is more like it! You should be proud.

"But that man who has known the immense unhappiness of losing a friend, by what name do we call him? Here every language is silent and holds its peace in impotence." ~In memory of Whistler84...loved and missed but never, never forgotten. Safe journey, my dear friend. Love you.

HIC COMITAS REGIT How long until Shore Leave 29???

Comment

Originally posted by SnoggingPicard
                              Hot, intelligent, thought-provoking, awesome air is more like it! You should be proud.
                              Okay now I'm just......blushing. A lot!!!!!

Comment

CONGRATULATIONS ON 400 POSTS, MINI!!!

Thank you, Skydiver

Comment

Working...
                                X