Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by majorsal
    i've never watched atlantis (i have *issues* with the ptb), but i'd watch it if amanda/sam was in it. i'd watch amanda staring at a wall

i just wish sam wasn't being thrown to atlantis to make room for the newbies.

sally
    You should give it a try, Sally. It "feels" like Stargate.
    Originally posted by ChopinGal
    I agree completely! Couldn't help thinking what a hit she would be if she manages to land a solid lead in a well-written screenplay! Amanda, once again in The Void, managed to stand out, away from the embarrassing script. And her love scenes and intimate moments with Adrian Paul were so natural and well played.

Why hasn't this woman been discovered by a larger audience, huh?! I guess her commitment and loyalty to the Stargate franchise have secluded her in some ways from a wider public. Their loss; our gain.
    Jester, did I read you right? Love scenes with someone other than RDA? Oh, that's just wrong in so many ways!
    Originally posted by tara3583
    I remember that scene when Amanda walked into that room, she filled the whole room with her presence and as a Sam and Jack fan i noticed the sparks flying straight away

I also loved the "kid in a candy store" look when she saw all those gate addresses and the total look of wonder on her face when she touched the event horizen for the first time, Amanda convayed all that with her expresions on her face, it really was and still is wonderful to get to see and feel that coming from an actor.
    Ah.....good memories! Thanks for reminding us, tara!

Comment

Originally posted by esoap524
      Oh, boy. Well, there's no way I'd jump into an either/or contest between Black and Tapping BUT...having watched Farscape ad nauseum (LOL) and seen Claudia Black's work, especially throughout season 3, I don't see any way to say the Vala is essentially Aeryn with sex kitten thrown in. I definitely see Vala as CHIANA from Farscape. Aeryn was emotionally repressed, responsible, noble and always put others before herself. I have yet to see Vala do that once. Oh, she may eventually come around to doing the right thing but that's after she's depleted her options for doing the wrong thing.

As far as acting styles are concerned--and again, not drawing a comparison because I haven't seen enough of Amanda Tapping to have a good basis for comparison--I have to say that Claudia Black has that same expressive ability to convey a lot with very little. A raised eyebrow, a quirk of the lip, a quick blink of the eye...there's a lot that she had to convey as Aeryn.

Again...the Aeryn/Vala thing...um, no. I think I'm a pretty good expert on the subject of Farscape and Aeryn (sad to say). Chiana/ Vala--yep, without a doubt. Rygel/Vala--yep, I see that too.

Now, Crichton/Mitchell. Yeah, there's more similarities except for the whole Cricthon was absolutely insane pretty much after season 1 ended. He was a loud mouth take over kinda guy after he started to go nuts, yelling at people and getting in their faces about stuff. Mitchell seems like a pretty cool, discerning, "let's not draw attention to ourselves" type.

My two cents, as a die hard Farscape fan.
      I hope you understand that I'm also a fan of both shows. In fact, I wish FS hadn't been cancelled. And I'm not putting down CB. I like her. But I'm not wild about Vala....and what she seems to bode for Stargate's future.

Comment

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn
        Congrats to:

ÜberSG-1Fan
        Myrth
        &
        ForeverSg1

for their amazing showings
        in the The Amanda Tapping Contest!

So many wonderfully talented people hang out here!!!
        Great news for you guys!! So, do you win anything?!!

Finally picked an Avatar. Finally they have a Sam picture I like. I just didn't like the other option of Sam, but I do like this one.

Comment

I'm not sure how productive it is to spend a lot of time comparing Farscape and Stargate (especially in this thread). Don't get me wrong--I've been doing it too. But Farscape is a completely different show and in many ways is like comparing the proverbial apples and oranges. CB & BB may have done a great job on FS (and hey, I love Aeryn), but the real issue for us here (IMHO) is what's going on with Stargate. The new cast members have thrown me for a loop a bit, especially with AT's understandable absence from the first few episodes. The *team* with AT playing Sam as an equal partner is what got me hooked on the show and that's what I'm hoping to see more of. Hope this didn't come off as being cranky, I just feel like we (myself included) have gotten off a bit on a Farscape tangent lately. (If it does sound cranky--I blame it on a long day and a bit of a headache. )

Comment

And I'm not trying to make it an either-or contest between the actresses either. But after several years of watching the nuances in AT's work, I've concluded that she's one of the most talented actresses I've ever watched in anything! She can say more with her eyes in one scene than most actors can convey in an entire script.
            I say the same thing about Claudia. I also agree with you about Amanda. That's why I like BOTH! They are both phenominally talented and tons better than just about any other actresses on telly now days. IMHO, that is.
            sigpic
            I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan
              Nope, I dont think so. I think maybe her Jolinar experience may make her very anti-sarcophagus... plus shes usually taking cover while daniel gets shot
              Thereby demonstrating her tactical skill.

Comment

You should give it a try, Sally. It "feels" like Stargate.
                Of course it "feels" like Stargate. They've recycled or used several of SG-1 stories!

I watch Atlantis. To me, it's better than SG-1 right now.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ChillinTheMost
                  I'm sorry, I guess "blaming" was the wrong word. I did get the feeling she was frustrated because some FS fans were saying that Claudia was more talented than Amanda and I wanted to assure her that many FS fans are also fans of the show and actors of Stargate, including, and in my case, especially, Amanda.
                  No worries mate!

It really bothers me when there is a rift between fandoms as if we can't like more than one thing at a time. Life is too short and arbitrary not to experience and enjoy many things.
                  Here, here. The problem is/was, imho, that a handful of RUDE, LOUD, obnioxious Scapers came over here and didn't play by the "house rules" and that is what caused the rift. Thankfully, fans like yourself (and hopefully me) have helped the kids here see, that not all Scapers are like that handful of fanatics.

It's apparent to me that most Scapers were taught that when you go to a friend's house, you play by the FRIEND'S rules and not yours. Sadly, some Scapies (fanatical Scapers, imho) either didn't learn that lesson or totally forgot it. Shame because they made it hard for fans like the two of us (and those like us) to strike up conversations with the kids here. But with patience and kindness, I think the rift is disappearing and I like to think that most here at Gateworld Forums accept Scapers like us.

I agree with you about not seeing the similarities between Vala and Aeryn. I can see why some people see the similarities between Crichton and Mitchell, but I attribute most of that to one guy playing similar parts [similar in that both are smart, brave, strong, honorable men.]
                  Someone else here mention that Vala reminded them of Chiana, that's how I see Vala now. Hopefully if she stays or is a reoccuring character, they'll tone down the sex kitten and kick up the depth we saw in some of the later eps of S9's first half. I've always seen the depth in Vala, but maybe that's because I am a big fan of Claudia's (please don't confuse that she can do no wrong, cause like us, she is first and foremost HUMAN! ) and like others here have mention of Amanda - saying more with a look - Claudia has always been able to do that as well.

Just because many of us have only seen Amanda in this one part doesn't mean she doesn't have range. I think the subtleties she employs in conveying the different facets of Samantha are wonderful.
                  Exactly! They both have that talent and that's what draws folks into their worlds and characters.
                  sigpic

Comment

I'm working on my Carter hand-drawings, I really am. But I keep feelin' like doing these little computer vector sketches, too. They're quick and fun. This one's got a little bit of extra shading, I used three different brushes to finish it off, and some tracing to get a little more of the realism back into the alice vest.

Cheers!
                    mini

EDIT (because someone asked): Yes, the whole thing's vector.
                    Last edited by minigeek; 08 November 2005, 07:03 PM.

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                    ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Jester, did I read you right? Love scenes with someone other than RDA? Oh, that's just wrong in so many ways!
                      i know!

*takes moment for deep breathing*

BUT, at least amanda was finally given a hunk to work with (besides RDA).

sally
                      sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SnoggingPicard
                        I've been going here at least twice a day to vote. Check this site out!
                        hee hee

I voted at work earlier today and just now at home. <weg> I definately think Amanda needs to take that "reality" tv guy OUT! Out of the running that is! mwahahahahahahahacoughmwahahahaha

*thinks that most "reality" shows are contributing to the dumbing down of America and the world.
                        sigpic

Comment

i think both characters can co-exist. LIke sam said, who said there HAD to only be 4 team members????

unfortunately, of maybe even just possibly, someone has the idea that it's vala OR sam. Which, as much as i would personally love to see sam on atlantis - for me, i find teyla and weir just not appealing even as i find atlantis a better show, having sam there would make the show more enjoyable for me - i can understand the fears of some sga fans that their characters will be shafted with sam's arrival.

what it does all boil down to is, even as we have the writers saying that there's no limit to the stories they can tell...well how can there be no limit when they apparantly don't know what to do with sam? they're contradicting themselves

these writers can write good eps, and i would think they'd love to have more characters to play with...so this 'either/or' attitude just doesn't make sense

i would very much rather see both of them on the show than one pushed aside for another. time will tell what they end up doing
                          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
                            I'm working on my Carter hand-drawings, I really am. But I keep feelin' like doing these little computer vector sketches, too. They're quick and fun. This one's got a little bit of extra shading, I used three different brushes to finish it off, and some tracing to get a little more of the realism back into the alice vest.

http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/210...illus122mg.jpg

Cheers!
                            Very nicely done and a welcome change of pace. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                              I haven't actually seen the Void yet. I'll have to add it to our Netflix list. I have one question about Farscape though. I had tried to rent the first season but the way Netflix sends out the discs, I get episodes 1 & 7 on one disc, 2 & 6 on another, ect. Does this sort of thing continue for the entire season? Because it seems very annoying to me. In order for me to watch the first 5 episodes, I have to rent four separate dvds
                              It's a Netflix thing. I have all the DVDs and they are in the order they SHOULD have aired in. Not that it matters much with the "stand alone" eps, but with the arc type eps...it helps that they are NOT out of order.

I highly recommend (if you can find it - this is for anyone interested in FS) finding "The Best of Season 1" it has the best 6 eps from S1 of FS.

Best of S1 FS used @ Amazon

I tried finding it on Netflix, but they didn't have it, so I checked with Amazon and you can purchase it used for like $8. Here are the eps on in this set: Premiere, DNA Mad Scientist, A Human Reaction, Nerve, The Hidden Memory, and Family Ties.

I had hoped to get to see what CB and BB are like in another series as I've been a bit cold with their characters on Stargate so far. I keep hearing rave comments about both and I see great potential with CB, but I really wish the writers would give them better roles. The whole sexual tension thing with Vala/Daniel just isn't doing it for me. Hopefully we'll see some juicy scenes with Vala and Sam, or even Sam and Mitchell in the second half of the season.
                              For me, CB is the reason I'm enjoying the character Vala, despite the way the writers/execs are making her (I have hopes they'll tone down the "sex kitten" bits). I guess I'm one of the few who doesn't really see any sexual tension between Vala/Daniel. Yeah there's chemistry, but it more comedic/dramatic and less sexual for me. I'm just glad and hope to high heaven that TPTB do NOT pair CB and BB. Been there done that. I enjoyed them to an extent as a couple on FS, but I don't want or need to see it again. I want to see what they can do seperately.

I'm waiting and hoping that BB will prove to me that he can play more than the same character on different shows.

[i]*looks at the Samandans who are staring at her...

What? I'm just trying to be helpful.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by parsifal
                                Very nicely done and a welcome change of pace. Thanks!
                                Cheers. I'm glad you like it. I hope you guys like the hand drawings too, I'm half way done the first one (I'm doing a Carter one and a Sam/Jack one as well afterward if I can - AD may have to hide his eyes. ). Going for a bit of humor/attitude in the mix, if I can manage to get the darn thing right on paper! *gulp*

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                                ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Working...
                                X