Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1speed4Sam
    Sorry, Jester.

I guess even my "big sister / little sister" comment won't get me out of this one, eh?

Jester - you were so easily won over with that one!

Comment

Ok, this is a bit OT for the SAmanda thread, but I'm too much of a weenie to post this in the main forum in case I get burned alive. Hope no one minds.

On Uber's advice I got ahold of the Farscape DVDs and started watching them to see what the "hype-ola" has been about. I was also quite interested in the differences/similarilties between Vala/Aeryn and Mitchell/Crichton. Primarily since so many of the Farscape fans love Claudia and Ben's performances so well that it's carried them over fan-borders to cross into SG-1 with the actors. This does actually tie in with Sam/Amanda as well, so bear with me!

I've now watched all of Farscape season one and half (13 episodes) of season two. It's a pretty neat little show! Little bit different than what I usually go for in sci-fi, but it's neat (the actress who played 'Chiana' is astoundingly talented).

Anyway, on with my (crazy!) observations. I remember having a (brief) conversation in another forum about the fact that several fans couldn't abide Amanda's character (Sam) because they hated her acting and felt she had "no range" (I always love when people use that term 'no range' in reference to an actor, because it's almost always used by laypersons who've never taken an acting course and don't really know what a technical acting 'range' really is). But I digress. The point was, these fans attempted to illustrate their opinion with examples of range, using Claudia Black, and Vala/Aeryn. How "radically different Vala Mal Doran is from Aeryn Sun".

So, okay, on principle, I agreed with that. Claudia Black is a talented actress, I definitely agreed on that point as well. I was a little confused at why they felt that Claudia's "range" as an actress was something that had a whit of significance when arguing whether or not Amanda had "range" as an actress. But since I didn't bring up the example, I had to go with it.

Now that I've watched Farscape for a season and a half I'm really going to have to jump in here and disagree a little bit with the concept that Vala Mal Doran and Aeryn Sun are "completely and radically different".

On the outset, obviously the characters are different. But when I watch Claudia playing Aeryn, I see a lot of Vala, too. Maybe it's because I met Vala first. I'm sure that has something to do with it, but if you take out the burlesque (sex-kitten) image, all of Vala's "serious" scenes so far now scream at me with the words: Hello, Aeryn Sun?

As a viewer, I like both characters. But I thought the similarities were worth commenting on. When Vala tells Daniel she doesn't know how to heal all of the plague victims, that scene was played extremely like Aeryn. I didn't realize it at the time, but now I do because I've seen Farscape. And did anyone else notice the irony of Aeryn's first appearance on-screen in the Farscape universe, and Vala's first appearance in SG-1? Both characters initially appeared wearing hard-shell black body armor and headgear that concealed their appearance completely in the first moments they were introduced. I thought that was a cute irony as well.

As for Ben Browder's performance - now that I've seen him in Farscape, I'm amazed at how almost identical his character is to Cameron Mitchell. The SG-1 scene which (I think one of the executive producers - possibly Joe - lauded as so fantastic, where Mitchell exclaimed: "Bullets bounce!!", and jumped up and down. That was classic John Crichton. (I actually wish he was a lot more different now, I'm a little disappointed in that, but that's a whole other essay/discussion I'll leave out of this bit).

For the moment, I'm looking back on the discussion I (tried to) have with those fans about Amanda's acting range, and I'm realizing something. It wasn't about her acting range at all. I'm seeing less of an actual logical argument from that (aforementioned) point of view and more of a Farscape fan's reaction to simply loving Claudia so much that it somehow engendered a wacky need to elevate her status (due to an oddly perceived female 'competition' that doesn't actually exist between Vala Mal Doran and the character of Sam Carter).

I guess I could say "Aha! I get it now!". Although honestly, I think now (more than ever) that the BOTH women (Sam and Vala) should co-exist as equals in the same universe, rather than having either of them perceived as competition for the other's place as 'foremost female' in the series.

I do like Claudia Black. Moreso now that I've watched some Farscape. And I'm not even going to go into what I feel Amanda Tapping's "range" as an actor is, or how it compares to anyone else's. I think everyone on this thread already shares my professional admiration for Amanda. Claudia too, for that matter.

I guess I just wanted to share the little lightbulb that went off in my head, now that I've started actually watching some Farscape. Because it did help me to find that old discussion/argument (which sadly turned mean which was why I left it) a lot more illuminating. Apparently, there was no logical debate to begin with.

I am, however, looking forward to seeing the rest of those Farscape DVDs. The muppets on the show still make me twitch a little bit, but I'm gettin' over that ..... slowly.

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
      ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by Coley
        Hey back from a windy and very very wet mid wales!

Many thanks to 1speed fopr taping the AT interview - and just in case you're thinking it was all walks in the woods down there whilst you were poised fingers above all buttons - I'll have you know I was scuffling about under the caravan lagging the water pipes. In addition Hugo took up most of the bed each night, the supply of sloes I had spied last time down there had already been raided and I didn't have my camera with me when the sun made its one and only appearance casting a lovely colour hue over the valley.

So still in snark mode I'm afraid!!

Apart from that had a great time!!
        Hmm, unfortunately my Sympathy Chip appears to be malfunctioning...

Comment

Hello everyone! Geez you all keep busy on this thread. I always come over to see how you all are doing but I can never keep up on all the posts. Anyways, just dropped by to let you all know the IT poll on MSN this week has Amanda on it. She was on last week too but is now in last place. Here is the link if you want to go put her to the top where she belongs! See ya all later!http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4043608/

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
            On Uber's advice I got ahold of the Farscape DVDs and started watching them to see what the "hype-ola" has been about.....
            Anyway, on with my (crazy!) observations. I remember having a (brief) conversation in another forum about the fact that several fans couldn't abide Amanda's character (Sam) because they hated her acting and felt she had "no range" (I always love when people use that term 'no range' in reference to an actor, because it's almost always used by laypersons who've never taken an acting course and don't really know what a technical acting 'range' really is).
            So, okay, on principle, I agreed with that. Claudia Black is a talented actress, I definitely agreed on that point as well. I was a little confused at why they felt that Claudia's "range" as an actress was something that had a whit of significance when arguing whether or not Amanda had "range" as an actress. But since I didn't bring up the example, I had to go with it.
            So true--everyone's an expert. Putting on my pseudo-expert hat, not having had any acting courses, I still think AT has range. We've seen her play Sam in different moments & she does them all well, IMHO.
            As for Ben Browder's performance - now that I've seen him in Farscape, I'm amazed at how almost identical his character is to Cameron Mitchell. The SG-1 scene which (I think one of the executive producers - possibly Joe - lauded as so fantastic, where Mitchell exclaimed: "Bullets bounce!!", and jumped up and down. That was classic John Crichton. (I actually wish he was a lot more different now, I'm a little disappointed in that, but that's a whole other essay/discussion I'll leave out of this bit).
            I think the main difference between Mitchell and Crichton is that Mitchell is much calmer. Crichton tended to be manic and a bit crazy. I think you're right--that moment you mention was very similar to how Crichton would have reacted.
            I am, however, looking forward to seeing the rest of those Farscape DVDs. The muppets on the show still make me twitch a little bit, but I'm gettin' over that ..... slowly.
            I was the same way at first. I had flipped past the show b/c the aliens looked just too strange, but then after someone who had been watching it recommended it, I got hooked. SG1 is still my fav. though.

Comment

Originally posted by Anyagate1
              Hello everyone! Geez you all keep busy on this thread. I always come over to see how you all are doing but I can never keep up on all the posts. Anyways, just dropped by to let you all know the IT poll on MSN this week has Amanda on it. She was on last week too but is now in last place. Here is the link if you want to go put her to the top where she belongs! See ya all later!http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4043608/
              I voted! She definitely deserves to be number one on that list!

"But that man who has known the immense unhappiness of losing a friend, by what name do we call him? Here every language is silent and holds its peace in impotence." ~In memory of Whistler84...loved and missed but never, never forgotten. Safe journey, my dear friend. Love you.

HIC COMITAS REGIT How long until Shore Leave 29???

Comment

Hey I know I'm a littlebit late with this ... but thanx Über and Coley for the recent rep, I'm afright can't rep you guys, Über, I havn't checked it with you yet, but if you and anyone else have a light green bar Gateworld(I think) says I must spread some rep. So that's why I can't rep anyone(I think everyone of you know this) , even if I want to.

Thanx again

Thank you Ambermoon for the sigs!

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
                  *pulls the spare Pilot arm out and wacks mini over the head with it
                  Don't be dissin' the puppets. They are by far the coolest things on FS.

FS is not your mother/father's Star Trek. mwahahahahaha!
                  sigpic
                  I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
                    So true--everyone's an expert. Putting on my pseudo-expert hat, not having had any acting courses, I still think AT has range. We've seen her play Sam in different moments & she does them all well, IMHO.

I think the main difference between Mitchell and Crichton is that Mitchell is much calmer. Crichton tended to be manic and a bit crazy. I think you're right--that moment you mention was very similar to how Crichton would have reacted.

I was the same way at first. I had flipped past the show b/c the aliens looked just too strange, but then after someone who had been watching it recommended it, I got hooked. SG1 is still my fav. though.
                    Actually, imho Mitchell is too similar to S1 Crichton...ya know, before he started going nutz. But hey, with all the wackos after JC, who can blame him for going nutz? LOL
                    sigpic
                    I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by SunKrux
                      *pulls the spare Pilot arm out and wacks mini over the head with it
                      Don't be dissin' the puppets. They are by far the coolest things on FS.

FS is not your mother/father's Star Trek. mwahahahahaha!
                      Ya gotta love Rygel!
                      and maybe Crazy Crichton is what sticks in my head--I don't really remember him ever being calm. But then again, I've only seen most episodes once--unlike SG1 for which I've seen episodes several (ahem) times. Ok, I admit it--I can just about recite along with some episodes. Well, you know after coming to Samanda I had to rewatch episodes specifically for Sam's contributions. Yes, a tough job, but I manage.

Comment

Has anyone put a Video link up of AT's interview with T4 yet?

Comment

Minigeek

A great post you put up with some nicely balanced views

Sadly my unbalanced view is still that I won't watch SG1 if Carter takes a reduced role for more Vala. It isn't about the acting for me. I am actually hooked on Amanda's acting I shall hold my hand up. But I mainly watch Stargate because of Sam Carter. What a great female character.

I really do not like Vala as a character. She doesn't make me feel anything apart from "couldn't the writers have done better for CB". She's maybe okay in small doses, but evens? with Sam Carter? I just don't want to see that myself.

Sam is such an integrel part of SG1, it wouldn't be SG1 without her.

I don't see it as a question of competition between acting or characters. It is just I love the character Sam and dislike the character Vala. I wish they had made CB a real gutsy SG1 soldier. They could have created a realy good backstory and character arc. However they couldn't have dressed her in revealing costumes all the time and scripted innuendo could they. It is the dumbing down of Stargate as far as I'm concerned and I'm not interested.

I was explaining the changes to a male non gator at the weekend and his unbiased response was that it sounded like they were aiming the character at the younger male audience.

I'm still of the opinion that RC is planning a diminishing role for Carter and one which will ease her out of SG1 by mid season 10 and out of the series by the end.

Not a great senario for the SAGCT

Stargate without Sam? No thanks!!
                          Stargate evens Sam with Vala? No thanks!!

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc
                            And am I dreaming, or Strix, did you say you have another chapter finished of your latest fic?
                            Hey chocdoc, I haven't posted anything recently, but the latest is at:
                            http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2615836/1/

I've been working on the next "chapter" but still have a bit to go.

My LJ

Comment

minigeek, I know you aren't blaming all FarScape fans, but I just want to reassure you that not all FarScape fans are that narrow-minded. FarScape is a great show and I love it, but that doesn't mean I think Stargate is less of a show or that its actors aren't incredible also. Stargate is a different show, has a different feel, but both are great. As for Amanda, I think she is a great actress and seems to be an incredible woman. As much as I like Claudia [and to a lesser extent, her character Vala], I don't want the character of Sam to be lessened in either development or screen time. Vala is fine as a recurring guest, but I want Sam to remain to be the main character that she is.

Comment

Well and truely wormholed.

Finally go fishing!

Comment

Working...
                                X