No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CG! Welcome home and welcome back to the thread! Thanks for the update. Love the story about how the "B" came about. And Sam an A+, yabetcha. Looking forward to poems and more updates.

Edit: Just saw the great poem. You always do such nice work.
    Last edited by SamFan31; 31 October 2005, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
      lol, I've only seen BSG and SG1 out of those shows and as much as Tricia Helfer is playing an awesome character on BSG, I think Amanda wins for me
      Tricia is a fabulous actress. Speaking purely from a personal point of view, Amanda is just a little bit better. Which isn't to say, on any given day, one or the other of them couldn't pull off an equally brilliant performance. My point of view stems only from what I've seen both women do on screen. Being a theatre geek (I have a bachelor's degree in Theatre (acting stream)). I sometimes hit 'pause' and then rewind the good bits whenever I see something particularly ingenious on TV (god love TiVO[PVR in Canada]). I did that a lot during the Moebius episodes. Amanda was just crazy brilliant in those. Having said that, BSG is currently my favorite sci-fi series on television (I know, I'm a heretic!) Ah well.

mini(the heretic)geek

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
      ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
        Haiku for Olivia

Amanda’s baby
        Olivia is the name
        Its meaning is “peace”

Such an ideal name
        For a long-awaited child
        Sure to bring much joy

Fondest dreams come true
        Baby completes the picture
        Happy family

Little one be glad
        You have quite a special mom
        She plays many roles

Within your mom’s arms
        You will always feel secure
        Yet she will show you

There are many worlds
        And many different ways
        Women can be strong

You will come to know
        Your mom plays another part
        Acting on T.V.

Sci-fi is her game
        Sam Carter is her screen name
        She is brave and bright

Not only soldier
        But gifted scientist too
        Inspiring others

She may play at war
        But kindness is her model
        Hence she named you “peace”

May you and mom thrive
        In that atmosphere so rare
        Welcome, lucky girl!
        Couldn't give you any green, but had to say that this is very lovely, very beautiful.
        In the Kingdom of Hope, there is no Winter

Life is too short for drama & petty things,
        so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly & forgive quickly!

Attendee of Shore Leave28, AT2 and AVALON
        Proud Member of the Sam is a Great Character Thread
        Hic Comitas Regit
        Member of the Ship, Ship Hooray Special Ops Team
        Member of Gategrrlz Gone Wild (proud Shore Leave 28 attendee).

Comment

Originally posted by Simhavaktra
          Y'know, the spin in Joe's blog brings to mind the time, years back, when I was introduced to our then-new vice president where I work. Everyone had been telling us for a month that he was the greatest thing since indoor plumbing, sharp as a tack and quick as lightning too, with a mind built for business, management and making money, and boy-o, yessirree bob, our company was going places now! We were being honored, we were told - iteratively and repeatedly. Then, our paragon arrived, and, quite literally the first thing he said to me after 'hello' was that he had a way to reduce my workload by lying to our customers about the cost basis of our pricing to them. ! That, and having to ghost-write business letters for said vice president (still a deep, dark corporate secret where I work) - because I could sound like the vice president of an entire division of an international company if I had to, and the vice president couldn't - cured me forever of any notion that any PTB must necessarily mean well, and they may therefore be trusted. Wait and verify, maybe, but implicit trust? Nope - gone on the lightning wings of experience.

Sometimes TPTB are being trustworthy, and sometimes they're actually noble. Sometimes the best they can be accused of, is muddling through; sometimes they're just lazy; sometimes they mess up; sometimes they mess up and don't even know they've messed up; sometimes they hose up; sometimes they purchase the entire agricultural complex; and sometimes they totally miss the, let us say... completely inappropriate... aspects of their brilliant ideas in the very glare of that "brilliance" itself. Maybe that's enough to gain them the benefit of the doubt in other places, but, I'm a number crunchin', security managin', store-mindin' geek, and my take on PTB is "In God we trust - all others are required to provide data." Some of the data TPTB of Stargate - all of them - have already provided under other circumstances is not encouraging to me under these circumstances.

Where does this latest effort on the part of TPTB on Stargate - all of them, Bridge, the production company, Sci Fi, Sony and MGM - lie on the scale of believability and trustworthiness? Time will tell. Do I trust them to get it right, and to do the right thing? Not a bit of it. Do I believe they have to have everything finalized before they can go about having ideas? Not for a second. Do I think it's possible things may work out nicely for everyone involved? Yes, I do. (Just don't ask me what I think the percentages are on it - I've done too much statistical analysis in my life. )

All I know is that, like the Chinese reporter who declared he could recognize any propaganda when he heard it simply because he'd had so much practice listening to propaganda, I'm recognizing propaganda in Joe's last message. And, TPTB have given me more than enough practice in listening to propaganda.
          Couldn't give you any green either This was beautifully written. I understand where you're coming from, had a couple of those experiences myself. Thanksfor this.
          In the Kingdom of Hope, there is no Winter

Life is too short for drama & petty things,
          so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly & forgive quickly!

Attendee of Shore Leave28, AT2 and AVALON
          Proud Member of the Sam is a Great Character Thread
          Hic Comitas Regit
          Member of the Ship, Ship Hooray Special Ops Team
          Member of Gategrrlz Gone Wild (proud Shore Leave 28 attendee).

Comment

Originally posted by Coley
            Kat you did an awesome job of remebering the questions at GABIT. Have you got some sort of enhanced memory chip in your brain??? Well Done - and yes she did use the word yummy about Johnny Depp, the ER doctor, Christian Slater and Dave De Luise - think her and dave really hit it off from what she said! The only "sex" scene she has enjoyed filming

*plugs ears and squeezes eyes shut*

on a much nicer note (for me); i'm hoping kat can remember the fifth answer to amanda's 'top 5 best things about rda'.

sally

ps - i'm curious on what the crowd's reaction was to amanda talking about david and that sex scene - in a room with a lot of s/j shippers. care to share?
            sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SnoggingPicard
              I'll be okay with it as long as they cut down the cheesy dialogue and sexual innuendos that always seem to accompany Vala...and don't shove off AT in order to keep CB a regular. Maybe that's why I'm so mad about this situation. I almost feel as though they are thinking about cutting Sam in order to accomodate Vala as a regular character. If this is the case, what is so wrong with having two female leads? Atlantis does it...
              it's not just vala, it's mitchell and vala. mitchell took sam's command role and vala took sam's leading lady role. help me see it if it's different.

sally
              sally

sigpic

Comment

Lol I was actually being a little snarky there (it's in my nature).. I did like the spin, but I'll believe it when I see it.. either way it falls.

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                Don't get me wrong. I'm still very leery and suspicious. Especially after the lack of regard Amanda got having to go ask about her own status. That's still wrong even if everything else plays out well.

Again...I don't regret a thing. If we were wrong and things work out correctly, I'll be pleased knowing that fans universally hated the idea.

If we were right, then I'll be tuning in to watch something else on Fridays. Win-win.
                sigpic

Comment

i'd feel a LOT better about amanda appearing on atlantis if i knew it was for the best for her character and the atlantis show. but, it only feels like they're finding a place for her since they're pushing her out of sg1.

sally
                  sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Myrth
                    Lol I was actually being a little snarky there (it's in my nature).. I did like the spin, but I'll believe it when I see it.. either way it falls.

Don't get me wrong...I'm still very suspicious and concerned...but I loved the fact that a PTB made a deal out of it and didn't ignore or dismiss it out of hand. That helps me a little.

I was very upset this weekend and it was starting to interfere with my work. So I'm going to use this little bone as a life preserver to save me from my own frustrations of what could be happening. Might be denial...but I need it right now if I'm ever going to finish this project.

Like I said...either way, we can still show our continued love and support for Amanda/Sam. Sending in polite letters to whoever we want talking about how great she is is always a great idea regardless of the current fandom issues.

And if she gets screwed over, I know where my remote is...especially after being subjected to The Ties That Bind.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by SunKrux

Oh yeah, I haven't the time or energy nor do I remember where I left off - to search the past few pages to see if anyone replied to my last reply, so don't take it personally if I didn't respond to ya.
                      Don't hate me, just trying to do my job as Royal Ambassador...as far as I'm concerned it carries over to TPTB as well as other characters. It should be about the "love" not the "hate", period.
                      oh, sun, you must be new to this fandom to have this much faith in these ptb.

sally
                      sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                        oh, sun, you must be new to this fandom to have this much faith in these ptb.

sally
                        Nah Sal, I think it's more like eternal optimism! We Love her so they must too! Surely...they have to....they must....

*grits teeth to keep smile on face*

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                          Hey folks...JM is actually on the blog comments responding to comments...

Feel free to write something respectful there see if he responds.

This should be interesting...

Joe's in a box, and he can't get out. how can he defend an idea that is so cheesy & asinine

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc
                            Completely agree with you there. AT deserves to continue as a lead in SG-1! That is the whole problem with this horrible fiasco! This news is still blowing my mind! How can she be treated like this after nine years!! What do the other writers/producers and actors think of this?

i am so conflicted.

i want amanda to continue because i want to continue to see sam carter.

but, i think amanda's being screwed over and i want her to say 'take this job and shove it'.

but, i like the idea of amanda being on both shows because if/WHEN sg1 ends, sam will still have a place to be.

but, i'd like to see amanda in other things too.

but, what other roles could even match what sam carter offers amanda? i can't imagine seeing her as a mere housewife after seeing her blow up a sun.

but, i'd like to see amanda quit sg1 all together so that she won't be attacked to the anchor going down.

but, i really believe that sg1 is only going to last through season 10 (and was only given the renewal for the 10th season/longest lasting US scifi show bragging rights), and i want amanda attached to that to the end.

but, amanda deserves to be treated better.

but, atlantis might be a better show to be on full time.

but, i can't stand the idea of new-comers kicking sam carter out of the sgc.

but, i can't stand the idea that the ptb don't want to write for sam carter anymore.

but, i don't want atlantis fans to resent amanda/sam.

but, i get so steamed thinking that i allowed myself to ignore the writing on the wall. i've been doing that since season 7 even began. 'oh, it won't happen' became 'god, i can't believe they did it!' to 'i'm ready for the next hit'.

but i want to see sam interact with teal'c, daniel, landry, etc.

but i want this show to return to the adult, intelligent, respectable scifi show is once was.

i just don't trust these ptb. a lot of my fears have come true over the last three seasons, so why should i expect that it should stop now? should i be waiting for pete/david to return now? heck, he'll prob lure sam back and then dump her for vala!

sally

ps - sorry for the negativity. it comes in stages and waves.
                            sally

sigpic

Comment

Yes Sir re Bob,
                              Amanda Tapping is a wonderful actress, and has given her all for the show and deserves a little respect. I don’t understand the problem, if they want to have Vala on the show why can’t they have both Vala and Sam. Vala can’t replace Sam they are nothing alike. Carter has always been a positive roll model for women. If they take her away the show will go darkside in my opinion. Besides Stargate won’t be Stargate without Samantha Carter. She has been there from the beginning and deserves to be there. She helped make it what it is today. Plus there are a lot of us out there that want her to stay, if she wants to stay. I’m one fan that won’t watch if Amanda is not on the show. I just can’t believe that TPTB would do that to Amanda and to the fans for that matter, that have been so fateful for so many years.
                              Amanda Tapping is one of the reasons why so many people have watched this show for so long. She is the heart of the show and she gives it heart!

"We were a team...no one could even begin to understand what we went through together… What we mean to each other.” Samantha Carter

Comment

Originally posted by Traveler Enroute1
                                As you say, her status is still up in the air as to whether she's a full or recurring character. Does her name still place forward in the credits as it does now? JM tried, but he's not quite in the loop it seems. We'll really have to wait for studio info. Pity, that.
                                oh, i'm sure she'll be at the *end* of whichever show now. the dreaded 'and' is just around the corner now...

and the moment i see claudia black's name in the regular cast, while amanda's shoved to the end... it'll be a sad day indeed.

argh, i'm getting depressed again.

sally
                                sally

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X