No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Although I've posted elsewhere I generally lurk in this thread because it's just so massive I can't keep up.

That being said, I had to delurk to say that I'm very disappointed by the news from Gabit. Not so much that AT's time may be split between SG-1 & SGA, as this could be a good thing for AT seeing as SG-1 is most likely going to tank next year. But more so because of the way the issue was handled.

IMO AT should have been approached before CB. Sure CB came in and filled a spot while AT was on maternity leave, but she's been in what, 6 episodes, well 8 if you count the season finale, the idea of which makes me shudder. AT on the other hand has been in 150 plus. Who should have the most pull? Who should get the most consideration?

I'm not totally anti-Vala. I saw some depth in the last couple of eps she was in. I saw potential. And I felt that she could come back as a recurring character, interact with Sam, and be rather enjoyable.

AT along with CJ has stuck with the series from the get go. When MS left, she was very positive, very supportive of his choice and gave her best to S6. When RDA left, AT was the only one who really seemed to miss his presence, but still, despite having a baby and pulling double duty, she came back to the show and again gave 100%. And what did it get her? Not even enough respect to approach her and let her know what was going on at the same time everyone else was approached.

I'm always hearing on the DVD commentaries what a great person AT is. How she's a team player, how she's a joy to work with, etc. The problem with being a team player is that sometimes, because you seem so easy-going people think that you'll take whatever they dish out. Trust me I've been there and it's rather disconcerting to realize that your hard work and loyalty aren't appreciated but rather taken for granted.

I for one will miss Sam if she's no longer on SG-1. At least it will free up an hour on Friday night to do something else.

If she's on Atlantis, as long as the character has an integral part, I'll enjoy seeing her there and I'll watch regardless as I like Atlantis a lot, much more so than SG-1 at the moment.

And if she decides to leave the Stargate Universe entirely, and go do Whistler, then I guess I'll upgrade and get Noggin on satellite/cable.

Whatever happens, I hope AT stands up for herself and makes whatever decision is best for her. And if that means no more Sam, I'll live happily in the land of denial, believing that she and Jack are off somewhere living happily ever after.

Oh, and congrats on hitting the 1000 page mark. Way to go guys.
    Last edited by KatG; 31 October 2005, 12:19 PM.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
      i don't think i want amanda to take 'whistler'... it's selfish, but i'd miss sam carter tremendously. but i'll stand by any decisions amanda makes.

sally
      Yay for Sal.
      You're the one who created the Sam's a Great Character Thread, how wonderful that you should get to post #20000!
      And what great words, too: i'll stand by any decisions amanda makes.

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Originally posted by 1speed4Sam
        OK, my turn...

I'd just like to echo my learned friend's comments. I'll admit to being a pretty cynical bloke at the best of times, but this weekend found that Amanda was everything I'd been led to believe she was, and more. Sheer class, grace, and beauty, showing a care and commitment to her fans second only to the care and commitment dedicated to her daughter and family.

It's tough to pick a favourite moment from the weekend, but I think it would have to be during the Charity Raffle, when Amanda modelled a costume from Emancipation (no AD, not that costume... ), sashaying up and down the hall like a catwalk supermodel. Priceless.
        Great mental image of the catwalk supermodel! Which costume was it?

Comment

Originally posted by KatG
          Although I've posted elsewhere I generally lurk in this thread because it's just so massive I can't keep up.

That being said, I had to delurk to say that I'm very disappointed by the news from Gabit. Not so much that AT's time may be split between SG-1 & SGA, as this could be a good thing for AT seeing as SG-1 is most likely going to tank next year. But more so because of the way the issue was handled.

IMO AT should have been approached before CB. Sure CB came in and filled a spot while AT was on maternity leave, but she's been in what, 6 episodes, well 8 if you count the season finale, the idea of which makes me shudder. AT on the other hand has been in 150 plus. Who should have the most pull? Who should get the most consideration?

I'm not totally anti-Vala. I saw some depth in the last couple of eps she was in. I saw potential. And I felt that she could come back as a recurring character, interact with Sam, and be rather enjoyable.

AT along with CJ has stuck with the series from the get go. When MS left, she was very positive, very supportive of his choice and gave her best to S6. When RDA left, AT was the only one who really seemed to miss his presence, but still, despite having a baby and pulling double duty, she came back to the show and again gave 100%. And what did it get her? Not even enough respect to approach her and let her know what was going on at the same time everyone else was approached.

I'm always hearing on the DVD commentaries what a great person AT is. How she's a team player, how she's a joy to work with, etc. The problem with being a team player is that sometimes, because you seem so easy-going people think that you'll take whatever they dish out. Trust me I've been there and it's rather disconcerting to realize that your hard work and loyalty aren't appreciated but rather taken for granted.

I for one will miss Sam if she's no longer on SG-1. At least it will free up an hour on Friday night to do something else.

If she's on Atlantis, as long as the character has an integral part, I'll enjoy seeing her there and I'll watch regardless as I like Atlantis a lot, much more so than SG-1 at the moment.

And if she decides to leave the Stargate Universe entirely, and go do Whistler, then I guess I'll upgrade and get Noggin on satellite/cable.

Whatever happens, I hope AT stands up for herself and makes whatever decision is best for her. And if that means no more Sam, I'll live happily in the land of denial, believing that she and Jack are off somewhere living happily ever after.
          Welcome KatG! And I echo a good deal of your comments.
          It's not always easy to keep up around here, as people post a LOT, but I hope you stick around with us for a while.

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Originally posted by deepspace
            Welcome KatG! And I echo a good deal of your comments.
            It's not always easy to keep up around here, as people post a LOT, but I hope you stick around with us for a while.
            Thanks for the welcome deepspace. I'll try and keep up.

I think the thing that I find so fascinating is that there seems to be a uniting of the various factions of fandom on this issue. Who'd of thunk huh?
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SamFan31
              Great mental image of the catwalk supermodel! Which costume was it?
              I'm going to show my ignorance / lack of relevant DVD here , but I don't know exactly - it was a long, coarse, brown, woollen (?) tunic, with splits up the side. Came with matching trousers, but Amanda didn't actually wear those - Thomasina Gibson just wandered around with them.

Oh, and think slightly goofy catwalk supermodel.

Comment

Ok, I've got about six more pages of the thread to read, but I thought since I seem to have been the one to have caused all the latest chaos on this thread, I thought I'd post a little note regarding my original post.

First off, Amanda never ever EVER made any comment what-so-ever about any other members of the cast, nor did she make any negative comments about TPTB at Stargate.

She did mention she had heard that the other members of the cast had already been approached, so in my humble opinion that could only mean that someone else from the cast had indeed spoken with her about it. Or else how would she have known?

As for RCC's comments that 'They do not know what to do with her character', I do not believe this was said as a means to suggest they[ the writers] are incapable of writing for the Sam character any longer or that they don't feel they can find a place in the Stargate universe for Sam. The way I see this, it is not the a decision coming from Bridge at all, I believe this is a decision coming from higher up.

A few months ago, someone posted a comment on JM's blog about Jonas coming back on the show and JM posted that they couldn't bring Jonas back full-time because it was a matter of money and budget. I think in part he was being truthful. The producers of Stargate only get a limited amount of money each year and they have to spend it wisely. Spreading it among the salaries as well as using it for filming. I can't imagine that after nine years of hearing nothing but wonderful comments about Amanda, by cast members, guest starts, as well as directors that anyone at Bridge is excited about snubbing her in this way. In my opinion, Sony or Scifi, have pushed the producers into this corner by either requesting that Vala be added in part to the cast or by suggesting that, due to public opinion, they believe that Carter is not a well-liked character and find it best to not use her any longer.

I tend to believe it's the former, which leads us to the problem of money. If Sony is pushing Vala, the producers of Stargate now have to figure out a way to add one more regular salary to their budget. So how can they fix this? Well, if Sam is used on both Atlantis and SG-1, then Amanda's salary will be split between both budgets. Atlantis is the newer show; therefore, Sony may be willing to put more money into Atlantis as they want it to succeed and if they have a bigger budget then they may be more capable of adding another character to their salary.

I think this may have been what RCC meant about it's not a problem, we are just trying to figure out what to do with the character.

Why Amanda and not someone else? Well honestly, I don't see any other character, other than Daniel, being capable of going to Atlantis and still fit into the storyline. Stargate SG-1 has always been a team of four men and one woman. If Claudia is really pregnant( I don't want to assume what I read in a blog is true), she will more than likely be in much of the same situation as Amanda during the first part of the season. So, if Amanda is in the first few episodes of SG-1, the show will not be lacking a team member. It would also give them time to actually work Vala's character into SG-1, if/when she joined the cast. Then they could write Sam as either taking command of one of the new Daedalus class ships and traveling back and forth between SG-1 and Atlantis, or going to help out in Atlantis for awhile.

Again this is only my assumption of what is going on. I may be really far off, but I'm trying to make some sort of justification in my own head as to why this sort of thing would happen. Do I want it to happen? Not really. I love SG-1, I truly thought I would be a fan of the show forever. When the show ended for me, I had hoped it would be with a big bang and I would wait patiently for the movies to come to the big screen. I hate the idea that a character and an actress that I enjoy deeply may not be a part of the show anymore. With RDA, I could deal with the loss of Jack, because I knew this was something RDA really wanted. Jack was gone because RDA wanted to leave the show. However, I do not feel this is the case with Amanda; but Amanda needs to do what is best for Amanda. If she decides to re-sign with Stargate, I will watch every episode she is in...be it SG-1 or Atlantis. And if she decides to call it quits and go on her own new adventures and try to make it outside of the Stargate universe, then I will be just as happy with her decision and follow her career as best I can. She truly is a remarkable lady, so perhaps this is her time to show the world, outside of the Scifi community, just how wonderful of an actress she really is.

Kat
                Last edited by ForeverSg1; 31 October 2005, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Coley
                  It is the creation cons she is headlining - at least that is what the thread title says in the news forum.

Are there other cons???
                  What I meant was that "headlining" means major guest. MS and CJ could be at the same Creation con as CB and they would also be "headlining". The Creation cons CB's going to aren't going to be all about her.

I hope I made sense.

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                    I've posted a few more pictures of Amanda on my MSN site for anyone who's interested in looking at them. A few of them show Amanda playing with her food. I apologize to AD and our other male admirers for being too far away to get a good shot of all the chocolate on her hands.

http://spaces.msn.com/members/foreversg1

For those of you who have asked, the item that Amanda has in one of the photos is not a rope, it's a curley wurley (A chocolate covered toffee candy bar for those of you, like myself, who are not familiar with the name). Amanda rolled the candy bar into a long rope and then stretched it as long as she could.
                    Great pics! Thanks for sharing them. I noticed Amanda's hair is straighter now. I liked the crazy curls.

Comment

I'm going to show my ignorance / lack of relevant DVD here , but I don't know exactly - it was a long, coarse, brown, woollen (?) tunic, with splits up the side. Came with matching trousers, but Amanda didn't actually wear those - Thomasina Gibson just wandered around with them.

Pictures 1speed ! Pictures ! Please !
                      Kingdom of Samanda : Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

Not to go all pollyanna, b/c I've been as upset as anyone about the shabby way the S10 issue was handled, but I spent some time strolling down memory lane with The Book and found this:
                        Originally Posted by chopingal
                        Hear Ye Hear Ye To All Who Live in the Realm of Samanda
                        A Royal Proclamation
                        Let the word go out from this date and time that, henceforth, all true followers of the esteemed
                        character, Samantha Carter, and her honorable creator, Amanda Tapping, will be known as
                        Samandans.
                        Furthermore, let all Samandans emulate the strength and dignity and poise of their respected
                        namesakes.
                        Let Samandans be sure of foot and quick of mind.
                        Let Samandans be slow to judge and fast to defend.
                        Let Samandans be loyal of friends and faithful to duty.
                        Let Samandans be refreshingly real and uncommonly wise.
                        Let Samandans be confident in victory and humble in defeat.
                        Let Samandans be comfortable with self and tolerant of others.
                        Let Samandans be curious of thought but dubious of rumors.
                        Let Samandans be kind of word and generous of spirit.
                        Let Samandans be ready to laugh and open to wonder.
                        In order to counter the negativity that oft appears elsewhere, let Samandans be defenders of truth
                        and integrity regarding all things Samanda.
                        Let all who dwell in the land of Samanda, prosper and be well.

Comment

Originally posted by KatG

Oh, and congrats on hitting the 1000 page mark. Way to go guys.
                          Nice post Katg G and welcome

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
                            Not to go all pollyanna, b/c I've been as upset as anyone about the shabby way the S10 issue was handled, but I spent some time strolling down memory lane with The Book and found this:
                            Originally Posted by chopingal
                            Hear Ye Hear Ye To All Who Live in the Realm of Samanda
                            A Royal Proclamation
                            Let the word go out from this date and time that, henceforth, all true followers of the esteemed
                            character, Samantha Carter, and her honorable creator, Amanda Tapping, will be known as
                            Samandans.
                            Furthermore, let all Samandans emulate the strength and dignity and poise of their respected
                            namesakes.
                            Let Samandans be sure of foot and quick of mind.
                            Let Samandans be slow to judge and fast to defend.
                            Let Samandans be loyal of friends and faithful to duty.
                            Let Samandans be refreshingly real and uncommonly wise.
                            Let Samandans be confident in victory and humble in defeat.
                            Let Samandans be comfortable with self and tolerant of others.
                            Let Samandans be curious of thought but dubious of rumors.
                            Let Samandans be kind of word and generous of spirit.
                            Let Samandans be ready to laugh and open to wonder.
                            In order to counter the negativity that oft appears elsewhere, let Samandans be defenders of truth
                            and integrity regarding all things Samanda.
                            Let all who dwell in the land of Samanda, prosper and be well.
                            Amen and amen.

*salutes Royal flag*

I hope all I suggested earlier falls in line with this philosophy...I believe it does if done in a dignified manner.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by Lys
                              Pictures 1speed ! Pictures ! Please !
                              Ah, well, erm...

Unfortunately I didn't have the camera with me at the Auction. I think one of the pictures on Kat's page shows Amanda wearing the item in question.

Comment

Is this the outfit?

My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

Working...
                                X