Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by majorsal
    let's give sam carter her own show!

it takes place on a new base on another planet, where the ships of stargate and atlantis are built. sam occasionally takes the ships out and tests them (and of course has adventures), but sam also is second in running the base.

they could call it: Stargate: Gemini

(i just picked that name because a- i like it , and b- it supports the dual purpose of this base, which is defense and engineering)

sally
    Cool idea, majorsal, but you have to be a producer to make sure it gets done right!

CONGRATS TO THE 20,000 POST MILESTONE!
    THANKS FOR SPREADING THE AT/SC LOVE !

Just sayin', thanks for these memories of good times for AT and SG1. And I'm rolling on to bed; that Gala was quite a fete! LOL and night, all.
    MISSION: STARGATE REWATCH 2011-2012 ENGAGED DONE!
    sigpic
    Beware Helen Magnus - Doctor of A$$-Kicking

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
      When I began watching SG-1, I was so completely and pleasantly surprised by what Sam represented. Carter is a tour-de-force to look up to. She's a scientist, a soldier and a woman. She's got brains and beauty, strength and compassion. And even with all those amazing qualities she didn't turn into a cliche! I'm still not entirely sure how that was even possible, and yet she has never become an unbelievable character. Extraordinary - absolutely - but never for a moment has she been unbelieveable. I think she owes that to Amanda Tapping as much (in my opinion even moreso) than she does to the writing team who derrives her dialogue.
      Originally posted by NearlyCircular
      Then I found Stargate SG1. And Sam Carter. A woman in the here and now, who was strong, independent, a fighter, and if not a leader yet, certainly a woman who held the respect and admiration of her colleagues. Wow, I thought, finally, somebody got it right.

They’ve written a woman who is not there just because she’s a)married/engaged/dating the lead; or b) the token female who’s usually a scientist or doctor, “acceptable” roles for women

They’ve written a woman who’s on screen as much as the rest of the team.

They've written a woman who actually gets to fight with the rest of the team.

They’ve written a woman who doesn’t have to dress in a skin tight, cleavage exposing costume.

They’ve written a woman who is more concerned with her job and her teammates than with her social life(at least most of the time)

I’ve been waiting a long time for a character like Sam Carter. I think she resonates with so many of us because she could be us. Sure, much smarter and much better looking, and getting to do much more exciting things regularly, but it’s fiction after all. It wouldn’t be entertainment if she were dumb, ugly and led a boring life.

My very favorite shows are the ones which have a character that I can identify with in some way. I can’t put myself in the shoes of most characters who get to do really cool things on tv, for the simple fact that they’re male. So with Sam Carter, I got someone I could identify with, who actually got to do things like blow up a sun, go to other planets, shoot the bad guys, get hurt and actually bleed; not just sprain an ankle running in high heels from the bad guys and have to be saved by the male lead. In short, I got a female hero, an entity that’s been sorely lacking in television.

Here’s to Sam Carter and to Amanda Tapping, who’s made Sam real to us, and fought to keep her true.
      Originally posted by Skydiver
      I think one reason they don't know what to do with sam is because sam is so good. she's no throwaway bimbo like Anise, she's not doing something 'easy' like chevron dude (no offense to walter), she's not like Landry or Hammond....leaders who have been replaced and whose characters are easy to recreate and can be swapped out iwth little effort

Sam is an integral part of the show. she's been there since day one and has had an immutable effect on things

she can't be replaced or just tossed away. she can't be recast

she is one of a kind and irreplacable

THAT is why they're having issues with 'what to do with sam'

if sam was a nothing character and a throwaway, they wouldn't be having these issues
      MmmHmmm.

No sense in me repeating the eloquence of everyone who's already commented. I do note that they can’t just throw in the ‘scientist of the week’, the ‘2IC of the week’, the ‘token female of the week’, etc. and replace both a character as deeply layered and an actress as unique as Sam and AT.

Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
      My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

Kat, ChopinGal, & Coley Thanks so much for posting the details from the con!! It sounds like you all had a great time (despite some shocking news)!

Honestly the more and more details that come in the sadder I get! Please don't get me wrong I am glad I am getting the news from people I know from this thread and not an article in a magazine. I'm glad AT told her fans to prepare them for whatever transpires in the future!!! I want to hear it from her and not one of TPTB, because some of the reports coming from TPTB lately haven't been accurate at all. I'm still shocked by the events.
        Amanda Tapping deserves sooo much better. Heck all the actors deserve so much better then the latest treatment. It started this year with RDA in my opinion. That beloved show that I have enjoyed for sooo long is starting to leave a bitter taste in my mouth!!
        Last edited by ann_sgcfan; 30 October 2005, 06:02 PM.

Comment

Chocdoc

Possibly communicate that we hope Sam retains a pivotal role in the SG1 Team despite Atlantis commitments, they may still be working on whether she can do this practically.

There must be a reason why they want to put her in Atlantis. Lets not make RC the bad guy out of all this becasue he failed to communicate with her. The producers may be getting direction from Scify and or Sony on all this and they may working out how they can protect Amanda whilst still keeping others happy.

All we know is that Amanda doesn't know anything and to my mind expected to be back as normal in SG1 until all this blew up and I just don't think she was impressed by the fact that she was in the dark when everyone else had already been asked back

Comment

Originally posted by Coley
            Strix

I just don't think Amanda would be happy if we all ripped into Rob Cooper - that is for her to do if she wants to, I think she was letting us know that if there is a changed role for Sam next season, if she does sign - it was nothing to do with her!!!! She obviously wasn't happy with how it happened, but didn't tell the story in the wat that was asking for support or sympathy but very matter of factly and with a "deals that get done behind closed doors" sort of way. I think she was surprised she was so out of the loop with what was happening with her character. She didn't moan beyond that - and made it clear she has other work lined up - wasn't asking for sympathy at all but poss making it clear she can stand on her own 2 acting feet IMO!!!

AND if SG1 does go for a Burton (down the tube) it will help her if she has regular work on Atlantis.

Not good that they didn't discuss with her, but doesn't mean they have bad intentions
            Hey Coley, I have no doubt AT can handle her own affairs. I'm sorry if I ripped RC unfairly; obviously, I don't know what goes on behind the scenes. But I still think the fact that AT had to go to him to find out about her status on the show speaks volumes, especially since everyone else had already been contacted. There is no way I can spin that in a positive light. AT is a wonderfully kind person, and certainly she knows her situation better than anyone else, but really... how could one NOT take that as a sign of dubious status? It just doesn't scream, "You're incredibly important to us and the future of our show!" does it?

My LJ

Comment

I believe that the current situation with AT has been in the works for awhile. If you think about the deplorable way that they have treated RDA's departure from the show it shows what they are capable of. I think that RDA had a great deal of say in what happened on Stargate. MS and CJ let things slip this year with certain comments. I also believe that there was a split of sorts in Stargate personnel. Those who wanted to keep status quo and whose who wanted the "new and improved Stargate." The changes that have taken place this year are more than a change in characters. Think of the lack of Air Force protocol, crude humor, more overt violence. Sam just doesn't fit into the new Stargate world. Why would TPTB think that anyone would care if there was less or no Sam. We all gave up Jack so easily. Yes, RDA had a legitimate reason for leaving but he didn't get the recognition from either the writers or the fans for 8 years of portrayal of the central character of the show. By accepting Season 9 we have in fact dug our own graves. When people tried to complain they were branded traitors. When they asked about Jack they were told to "leave the man alone." Maybe the person who started the thread that "Stargate will be over if RDA doesn't return or TPTB pull their heads out of their butts" had a point.

Comment

i don't think i want amanda to take 'whistler'... it's selfish, but i'd miss sam carter tremendously. but i'll stand by any decisions amanda makes.

sally
                How apropos for the mother of the Samanda thread to post the 20,000th post here. Congrats Madam VP...

I'll agree with what you said too. I want to see Sam though, not some shell of what she once was because TPTB are too afraid of what she could be and therefore can't fathom writing her as a strong, integral member of the team with Mitchell and Vala there at the same time.

I sense Amanda's in between a rock and a hard place. Does she leave her home of nearly a decade to test the waters on this new series or does she stay with Stargate SG-Titanic and have at least another full year of employment with the potential of moving on to SGA?

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                  I'd like to add that I'm a fan of Amanda first and foremost now. I will support her whatever she does...but I'm hoping she stays with SG-1 but only if TPTB apologize for the way they've treated her as a human being and give her back what she rightfully deserves...the integral position on SG-1.

The moment I see Vala wearing a Jacket with the SG-1 patch, I will be so far out the door and down the street...you won't know what happened.

I fear for this franchise. I fear for it deeply.

I came to this show because of RDA. I stayed because of ship and I'm here still because of Sam. I hope that TPTB can figure out that it's not nice to disrespect Amanda and Sam Carter and her fans. None of us appreciate it.

That being said, I'll continue to hope for the best possible solution...that stay or leave, Amanda will continue to have my support and love.

Well said Uber! I will support Amanda wherever she goes and whatever she does! I hope if she takes another T.V. role it gets picked up in the U.S. But above all I hope Amanda and her family are happy.

Comment

Right before I toddle off to bed I just want to end on a positive note and say the con experience was a pleasure. Amanda looked and sounded very happy with where she is in life at the moment - lets focus on that - and I had a wonderful time meeting fellow amanda fans and especially:- CG and her daughter (who 1speed and myself hung around with all weekend [CG's daughter is so much like Amanda - so funny, friendly, clever and witty]) Kat - a lovely gentle eloquent soul - and Dipsofjazz - such a warm friendly happy Scot. It was a delight and pleasure to meet you all and speak to you in person - thanks for making my weekend!!
                    That is so great. Sounds like the "real" people are just like they are here.
                    Samanda is indeed a wonderful kingdom. Hic Comitas Regit. Thanks Majorsal for getting it all started.

Comment

let's try to keep the negativity towards a personto a minimum please. Samana is above that

oh and speaking of milestones, who is it that i see will hit the big 500 soon???? *hint* strix
                      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jckfan55
                        And to say they just can't think of what to do with Carter? Sheesh--5 minutes on this thread and I see a whole season's worth of ideas.
                        Yeppers. There are countless fans of SG (GW’ers and others) who’ve written great fanfiction that utilizes Sam’s character very well and in a believable manner and in a multitude of ways that don’t repeat the show. To not know how to utilize one of the most believable strong women in scifi is *coughs* simply unbelievable. And there’s still so many of us out here who waited all S8 to see her taste the trials and triumphs of leadership and got nothing more than a teaser…

To not know what to do with a character like Sam makes me wonder…
                        Has she grown beyond the current writers capabilities?
                        Is it because she’s classier the “new classic” premise of S9 SG?
                        The other questions I’ll just keep quiet… because in thinking of the answers, I don’t like what I come up with…

Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                          So here we are in an alternate reality where the possibility of a Carterless SG-1 and Vala "taking her place" is actually on the table...and I am dumbfounded by this insanity; and I am wondering if I click my heels together three times whether or not I can return to the warmth of my Kansas farmhouse bed with Auntie Em leaning over to kiss me on the forehead, assuring me that it was all just a silly dream.

If only there hadn't been a fish in Jack's lake after all.
                          Well... we ain't in Colorado Springs no more... I mean Kansas....

Comment

Right before I toddle off to bed I just want to end on a positive note and say the con experience was a pleasure. Amanda looked and sounded very happy with where she is in life at the moment - lets focus on that - and I had a wonderful time meeting fellow amanda fans and especially:- CG and her daughter (who 1speed and myself hung around with all weekend [CG's daughter is so much like Amanda - so funny, friendly, clever and witty]) Kat - a lovely gentle eloquent soul - and Dipsofjazz - such a warm friendly happy Scot. It was a delight and pleasure to meet you all and speak to you in person - thanks for making my weekend!!
                            Good to hear you all had a good time. I look forward to hearing CG's report when she gets back, and seeing all of Kat's pics!

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by STARGATE7777
                              I believe that the current situation with AT has been in the works for awhile. If you think about the deplorable way that they have treated RDA's departure from the show it shows what they are capable of. I think that RDA had a great deal of say in what happened on Stargate. MS and CJ let things slip this year with certain comments. I also believe that there was a split of sorts in Stargate personnel. Those who wanted to keep status quo and whose who wanted the "new and improved Stargate." The changes that have taken place this year are more than a change in characters. Think of the lack of Air Force protocol, crude humor, more overt violence. Sam just doesn't fit into the new Stargate world. Why would TPTB think that anyone would care if there was less or no Sam. We all gave up Jack so easily. Yes, RDA had a legitimate reason for leaving but he didn't get the recognition from either the writers or the fans for 8 years of portrayal of the central character of the show. By accepting Season 9 we have in fact dug our own graves. When people tried to complain they were branded traitors. When they asked about Jack they were told to "leave the man alone." Maybe the person who started the thread that "Stargate will be over if RDA doesn't return or TPTB pull their heads out of their butts" had a point.

I have to agree with what you have said - but the sad fact is that one way to survive your leading actor leaving is to play down your leading actor leaving.

Someone said at the con that it would poss have been better for Amanda to leave when Rick did. Perhaps she has put too much trust in the producers to respect her acting ability and hard work???

Comment

let's give sam carter her own show!

it takes place on a new base on another planet, where the ships of stargate and atlantis are built. sam occasionally takes the ships out and tests them (and of course has adventures), but sam also is second in running the base.

they could call it: Stargate: Gemini

(i just picked that name because a- i like it , and b- it supports the dual purpose of this base, which is defense and engineering)

sally
                                Hey Sally I like this idea

My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

Working...
                                X