No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congratulations Osiris-RA and Majorsal !!!

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
    ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
      A few random thoughts.

Much as I'd like to believe that splitting AT's time between SG-1 and Atlantis is a move to save a great character, I don't think you treat an important asset to a franchise with so much disrespect. Apparently, the renewal of her contract was handled with a deplorable lack of professionalism, and I think it speaks volumes about where AT/Sam Carter stands in the Stargate universe. And I can't help but believe that it's not a happy place for AT or Sam Carter fans.

As others have stated, I will follow AT's career wherever she decides to go. I would love to see her on Atlantis, but I do wonder where she would fit in. I could maybe see her commanding a ship, but not a team, and certainly not competing with Rodney for the science spotlight.

I have to wonder who will step in to do the technobabble on SG-1. Dr. Lee has been set up as a comedic character, and he's not someone who I could see filling Sam's shoes, particularly not off-world. So, if AT's roll is reduced on SG-1, does that mean they'll only have science elements to the storyline in 10 eps? I say this only partly tongue-in-cheek. It just indicates to me that they plan to take the storylines in season 10 in a direction that won't interest me. They are going after a viewing demographic that doesn't include me. Sexual innuendo, skin, and dumbed-down mystical Ori plots. No thanks.

I hope Amanda does whatever she thinks is best for her career and her family. I will miss her terribly if she leaves the show, but I wouldn't blame her a bit for jumping ship at this time. If she stays, I'll be delighted. If she leaves, I will be disappointed, but I will wish the best of luck in new ventures. And I will thank her for 9 wonderful seasons of one of the best female characters in sci-fi television history.
      Tough points, Strix varia, and well put. I'd love it if Amanda could work out something and remain on Stargate. Guess after 9 years it's hard to let it go. But frankly if she departs, I wish her well and hope to see her around the dial. SG1 will, however, be off my radar. Whatever Amanda feels she needs to do she should do it.

Just sayin', Samantha Carter is one of the best science fiction characters on tv, I agree.
      MISSION: STARGATE REWATCH 2011-2012 ENGAGED DONE!
      sigpic
      Beware Helen Magnus - Doctor of A$$-Kicking

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
        i don't think i want amanda to take 'whistler'... it's selfish, but i'd miss sam carter tremendously. but i'll stand by any decisions amanda makes.

sally
        Hi Sally - how appropriate that you are the 20,000 post - congrats and thanks again for starting this thread way back when.

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc
          IMO they are doing this because Carter makes their new Male Lead look bad. Plus many fans have reacted poorly to Mitchell as leader or co-leader and they won't accept it as long as Carter is around. She is smarter, more experienced with the Gate and Offworld missions, she knows aliens and how to deal with them, friend and foe, she clearly runs circles around Mitchell when it comes to command of the team, etc., etc. They cannot have both in charge - it won't work so they want the male lead and they have to remove the impediment that makes him look bad, look incompetent, so they remove Carter from playing a pivotal, integral role in SG1 by splitting her with SGA - plain and simple crock o' crap.
          I agree with this except for the fact that they are bringing in a female character whos entire purpose is to emasculate and make every male member of the base look like an idiot...except when they get to tell her to shut the hell up (guess they didnt get that pleasure with Carter).
          Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

let's give sam carter her own show!

it takes place on a new base on another planet, where the ships of stargate and atlantis are built. sam occasionally takes the ships out and tests them (and of course has adventures), but sam also is second in running the base.

they could call it: Stargate: Gemini

(i just picked that name because a- i like it , and b- it supports the dual purpose of this base, which is defense and engineering)

sally
            Cool idea! She could be scientist & soldier & in command. And AT's name would go above the title with a "supporting cast."

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
              Just a thought--I can picture the birds from the Royal Aviary doing a flyover of the producers...with predictable results.

Sam: “Well darn, their aim could’ve been a little better!”
              Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
              My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc
                Hi Sally - how appropriate that you are the 20,000 post - congrats and thanks again for starting this thread way back when.

yes, Majorsal---thanks so much!!!

Comment

Strix

I just don't think Amanda would be happy if we all ripped into Rob Cooper - that is for her to do if she wants to, I think she was letting us know that if there is a changed role for Sam next season, if she does sign - it was nothing to do with her!!!! She obviously wasn't happy with how it happened, but didn't tell the story in the wat that was asking for support or sympathy but very matter of factly and with a "deals that get done behind closed doors" sort of way. I think she was surprised she was so out of the loop with what was happening with her character. She didn't moan beyond that - and made it clear she has other work lined up - wasn't asking for sympathy at all but poss making it clear she can stand on her own 2 acting feet IMO!!!

AND if SG1 does go for a Burton (down the tube) it will help her if she has regular work on Atlantis.

Not good that they didn't discuss with her, but doesn't mean they have bad intentions

Comment

Originally posted by tsaxlady
                    SG-1
                    Yeah, that's them, the missing SG1 Team! Thanks, tsaxlady, I love it! Thank God and GW for screen caps!

Just sayin'.
                    MISSION: STARGATE REWATCH 2011-2012 ENGAGED DONE!
                    sigpic
                    Beware Helen Magnus - Doctor of A$$-Kicking

Comment

Jello anyone?

Way to go Sally on post 20,000
                      My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan
                        I agree with this except for the fact that they are bringing in a female character whos entire purpose is to emasculate and make every male member of the base look like an idiot...except when they get to tell her to shut the hell up (guess they didnt get that pleasure with Carter).
                        Vala is your typical space bimbo. I mean, you thought Anise was bad. At least she looked scientific while she was bimbo-ing. What does Vala do but be Vala? The entire character of Vala smacks of desperation for the franchise. To even think of making her a permanent member of the team is mortifying intellectually. I thought the whole purpose of adding Carter to Stargate was to make the show appear open minded, progressive and intellectual! What a huge step backward. Or a massive trip.
                        TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

Originally posted by tsaxlady
                          SG-1
                          CJ thinking: At least they didn't ask us to play Twister.

Comment

Originally posted by Coley
                            Strix

I just don't think Amanda would be happy if we all ripped into Rob Cooper - that is for her to do if she wants to, I think she was letting us know that if there is a changed role for Sam next season, if she does sign - it was nothing to do with her!!!! She obviously wasn't happy with how it happened, but didn't tell the story in the wat that was asking for support or sympathy but bery matter of factly and with a yeas deals that get done behind closed doors sort of way. I think she was surprised she was so out of the loop with what was happening with her character. She didn't moan beyond that and made it clear she has other work lined up - wasn't asking for sympathy at all making it clear she can stand on her own 2 acting feet IMO!!!

AND if SG1 does go for a Burton (down the tube) it will help her if she has regular work on Atlantis.

Not good that they didn't discuss with her, but doesn't mean they have bad intentions

Is there any message that, in your opinion, we as Sam fans can send to TPTB/Sony on her behalf? Is there a way to make clear that we don't want her role as Sam diminished in any way? Or even a thread in the Stargate Discussion section that would be supportive of AT? I know JM reads his blog, but should there be a specific thread for all fans on this, not just in this thread?

Anybody's opinion on this?

Comment

Right before I toddle off to bed I just want to end on a positive note and say the con experience was a pleasure. Amanda looked and sounded very happy with where she is in life at the moment - lets focus on that - and I had a wonderful time meeting fellow amanda fans and especially:- CG and her daughter (who 1speed and myself hung around with all weekend [CG's daughter is so much like Amanda - so funny, friendly, clever and witty]) Kat - a lovely gentle eloquent soul - and Dipsofjazz - such a warm friendly happy Scot. It was a delight and pleasure to meet you all and speak to you in person - thanks for making my weekend!!

Comment

i don't think i want amanda to take 'whistler'... it's selfish, but i'd miss sam carter tremendously. but i'll stand by any decisions amanda makes.

sally
                                Don't get me wrong here - I too would miss Carter tremendously - she is one of the best female characters on TV in so many ways. I just hope she does what makes her happy - right now I am so disgusted with ALL of TPTB, especially sony/mgm/skiffy and cooper, and the direction of the show that, IMO, the writing is on the wall for where they see it going in S10 (more vala, Mitchell as leader, less Carter, and a BABY!!! God, could it sound any worse right now!) that I would rather AT get out now (especially while she has other oportunities that would give her a lead role, which she deserves) than ride it down into the gutter where IMO, it appears to be headed. I also do not want her to stick around for the sake of sticking around just to watch the character she has built and worked so hard on for 9 years be dragged down with the show.

I am afraid that by splitting the character, lessening her role in SG1 so she may not even be a full time team member for the sake of making the male lead look better by removing his competition, it just diminishes what was once a strong, intelligent, competent character. And what would they do with her on SGA? I am also afraid that if she does go there and takes on some sort of leader role, which the character clearly deserves, it will just create animosity towards her chaacter from the fans over there and that would be a bad thing too and if she does not take some sort of leadership, integral role there she just is background and that's not fair to the character or to AT or to her fans.

I have absolutely no faith in TPTB right now that they would be able to do the right thing to pulll this off without continuing the downward spiral for this character that I saw start in mid season 7, and I could also see the character just become background noise and wallpaper on both shows because she will not play an integral part of either show if her time is split and she is only recurring on both and I would rather not see that happen to the character or to AT since she worked so hard with the character for so many years.

Comment

Working...
                                X