Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SunKrux
    You know for a fact that RCC didn't have the guts to call AT? Maybe RCC was trying to figure out the best way possible to approach Amanda, since contrary to some here, I do believe TPTB actually do respect and appriecate all Amanda has given the show. Maybe RCC has been busy dealing with getting other folks signed on for the rest of the year and he was saving the best for last? There are probably reason we will NEVER be privy to as to why Amanda called RCC herself and found out about the new deal. No point jumping to conclusions or saying that TPTB want to replace Amanda with Claudia. Trust me, if they had wanted to do that, they would have well before now.
    Actually, I think that the last thing TPTB want is Amanda Tapping and Sam Carter off the show. She’s a very reliable piece of equipment in their company inventory, after all. Amanda’s a trooper and an actor that's always delivered for them. Sam Carter is a bona fide genius, and she does all that migraine-inducing… science stuff… that will persist in coming up from time to time in science fiction (danged inconsiderate of science it is ), and she can make it look believable while she’s doing it. That doesn't mean that TPTB don't respect Amanda - but it doesn't guarantee they do, either. It's perfectly possible to value a person without respecting them, and, without being psychic, never to tell which is which while listening to someone else speak.

I think TPTB just want to make a different show than the SG-1 that Amanda was in for eight years – whether that show’s their idea, or Sci Fi’s, or Sony’s or MGM’s, or some all encompassing acronym that represents input from all entities listed, and/or some more who are in on the financing.

To me, it looks like TPTB want to have their cake and eat it too. I think the ‘reasoning’ goes something like: “Oooh – if we work this budget right, we'll actually have both characters, and never hit our estrogen limit! We can have Claudia as a pretty-much regular character with all that adult humor and cleavage and hi-jinks and illegal glamour and innuendo and vixenhood and those really hot little costumes – and the ICCPD (immaculately conceived child plot device) too! Ain’t it cool?!?!?! And it’s so much frellin’ fun to write, too!!!!! And we can still have Amanda for when we need Sam Carter to throw in a bit of technobabble and save the world with science! If we do can that, then Vala can be wild and mouthy and hot, and boy is she; and Sam can be smart, and who cares whether it makes sense! It’s the fiction in science fiction, y’know! Yeah! It’ll be great, edgy, rock’em socke’m way cool sci fi testosterone TV!!! We just gotta figure out how to get it in the budget! Call the accountants and tell 'em to find a a way to make it happen!”

Sorry, I don't buy that TPTB don't appreciate or respect Amanda. Until I hear otherwise, from TPTB, I refuse to think they are deliberately out to kick Amanda off the show.
    Busy or not, timing or not, trying to decide what to say or not, when an the employer gets caught out, not having spoken to one of their employees on the subject of their continued employment after they’ve already spoken to all the other employees with the same status on that subject, that employer has created the problem they’re about to have with that last employee, when that last employee finds out on their own that they’re the only one that hasn’t heard. It’s not the employee’s doing. It’s the employer’s responsibility to make sure that employees are kept apprised of their employment status, not the employee’s to make all imaginable allowances for why they have not been kept apprised. Not keeping everyone apprised to the same degree, in a sufficiently short time span such that no one has time to find out things some other way than the employer wants them to find out, is just one of the many, many reasons that legal departments and HR departments – and personal assistants and office staff, too – exist, and that all of them have phones, faxes, e-mail, and a bad name with their local mail room for all the occasions when they’ve insisted that ‘all these packages have to be delivered the same day!!!’. TPTB are supposed to be professionals - this tardiness in informing an employee was not professional on their part. Does it mean that they want rid of that employee? I don't know. If they don't want rid of the employee, does it mean the lapse was accidental and shouldn't be considered meaningful? Not necessarily.

Everything’s still on the table at this point with regards to motivation, for everybody, including TPTB. But, I, for one, refuse to believe TPTB (all of them from paragraph the first) are incapable of gross stupidity, monumental inattention to detail, and epic tunnel vision, because they’ve already demonstrated each of those attributes to me on other occasions. So I won’t take any possibilities - positive or negative - off the table until I know more.
    Last edited by Simhavaktra; 30 October 2005, 04:02 PM.
    ...a very cranky blog:http://simhavaktra.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Catysg1
      I agree dmovies

to everybody Now ..I'm a bit confused ... you are all talking about MS ..Do you mean Michael Shanks ..right !!! you are talking about MS and a new role somewhere !!!! Did I miss something !!!! Has MS got a new project in mind too ?!!!

Caty
      It's been reported that MS cancelled his apperence at a con this weekend, because of chance he may be getting a role in a movie. Now if this proves to happen, then I'm sure he's gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Simhavaktra

I think TPTB just want to make a different show than the SG-1 that Amanda was in for eight years – whether that show’s their idea, or Sci Fi’s, or Sony’s or MGM’s, or some all encompassing acronym that represents input from all entities listed, and/or some more who are in on the financing.

To me, it looks like TPTB want to have their cake and eat it too. I think the ‘reasoning’ goes something like: “Oooh – if we work this budget right, we'll actually have both characters, and never hit our estrogen limit! We can have Claudia as a pretty-much regular character with all that adult humor and cleavage and hi-jinks and illegal glamour and innuendo and vixenhood and those really hot little costumes – and the ICCPD (immaculately conceived child plot device) too! Ain’t it cool?!?!?! And it’s so much frellin’ fun to write, too!!!!! And we can still have Amanda for when we need Sam Carter to throw in a bit of technobabble and save the world with science! If we do can that, then Vala can be wild and mouthy and hot, and boy is she; and Sam can be smart, and who cares whether it makes sense! It’s the fiction in science fiction, y’know! Yeah! It’ll be great, edgy, rock’em socke’m way cool sci fi testosterone TV!!! We just gotta figure out how to get it in the budget! Call the accountants and tell 'em to fina a way to make it happen!”
        Sad to say, I think you're probably right.

Comment

Originally posted by tsaxlady
          Another Great AT Behind the Scenes Shot

'...if this was a Super Soaker...'
          ...a very cranky blog:http://simhavaktra.blogspot.com/

Comment

You know for a fact that RCC didn't have the guts to call AT? Maybe RCC was trying to figure out the best way possible to approach Amanda, since contrary to some here, I do believe TPTB actually do respect and appriecate all Amanda has given the show. Maybe RCC has been busy dealing with getting other folks signed on for the rest of the year and he was saving the best for last? There are probably reason we will NEVER be privy to as to why Amanda called RCC herself and found out about the new deal. No point jumping to conclusions or saying that TPTB want to replace Amanda with Claudia. Trust me, if they had wanted to do that, they would have well before now.

Sorry, I don't buy that TPTB don't appreciate or respect Amanda. Until I hear otherwise, from TPTB, I refuse to think they are deliberately out to kick Amanda off the show.
            Thoughtful, SunKrux. Part of the reason I'm trying to refrain from strong emotions is that I'm not entirely sure of all the facts yet. I may not have the confidence you seem to have in TPTB (or RCC) but the concept as relayed is just illogically counterproductive. That doesn't mean things aren't already set on this course, but surely there's more to this. Will we ever know? Yes, but too, too late to salvage fan viewer trust and interest.

Something already mentioned probably factors in, that is the involvment of the new owners of SciFi and the departure of Gekko (RDA's company). Someone is tinkering with the formula or suggesting such, with an eye to increasing ratings and hitting some other target audience or maybe none of the above.

*Sigh* Amanda is the heart of SG1; even contemplating removing her from half the season is wrong on all levels: ratings, viewership and franchise to mention a few. Wasting talent, esp committed talent, is a bad business decision. I'm still gonna hope the studio is smarter than that.

Just sayin', getting close to emotionalizing. My head is spinning from all this. Oh, wait, that's probably lack of sleep. OK: Time to take a breather again.
            MISSION: STARGATE REWATCH 2011-2012 ENGAGED DONE!
            sigpic
            Beware Helen Magnus - Doctor of A$$-Kicking

Comment

Originally posted by LaCroix
              It's been reported that MS cancelled his apperence at a con this weekend, because of chance he may be getting a role in a movie. Now if this proves to happen, then I'm sure he's gone.
              Wouldn't it be funny if MS gets a role in a movie and they let him out of several episodes. Then they have to bring in AT to help fill the gap & find that AT & CB *can* both be in one episode without things imploding?

Are we still working on a post count here? With as many times as I've been here today & the way my gums have been flapping, figuratively speaking, we should be well on our way.

Comment

Originally posted by Simhavaktra
                Actually, I think that the last thing TPTB want is Amanda Tapping and Sam Carter off the show. She’s a very reliable piece of equipment in their company inventory, after all. Amanda’s a trooper and an actor that's always delivered for them. Sam Carter is a bona fide genius, and she does all that migraine-inducing… science stuff… that will persist in coming up from time to time in science fiction (danged inconsiderate of science it is ), and she can make it look believable while she’s doing it. That doesn't mean that TPTB don't respect Amanda - but it doesn't guarantee they do, either. It's perfectly possible to value a person without respecting them, and, without being psychic, never to tell which is which while listening to someone else speak.

To me, it looks like TPTB want to have their cake and eat it too. I think the ‘reasoning’ goes something like: “Oooh – if we work this budget right, we'll actually have both characters, and never hit our estrogen limit! We can have Claudia as a pretty-much regular character with all that adult humor and cleavage and hi-jinks and illegal glamour and innuendo and vixenhood and those really hot little costumes – and the ICCPD (immaculately conceived child plot device) too! Ain’t it cool?!?!?! And it’s so much frellin’ fun to write, too!!!!! And we can still have Amanda for when we need Sam Carter to throw in a bit of technobabble and save the world with science! If we do can that, then Vala can be wild and mouthy and hot, and boy is she; and Sam can be smart, and who cares whether it makes sense! It’s the fiction in science fiction, y’know! Yeah! It’ll be great, edgy, rock’em socke’m way cool sci fi testosterone TV!!! We just gotta figure out how to get it in the budget! Call the accountants and tell 'em to find a a way to make it happen!”

Love it LOL so great to read ...perfect

This is exactly what TPTB is doing

caty

Comment

3 more pages to go 'til 1000 (if your page setting is on the default setting) and a few more hours left to the weekend... I believe we can do it....

I'm reading back through the posts, but thought I'd post some pics whilst I read.

Sam (thinking): Wonder if I can convince her to use some of my conditioner...
                  Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
                  My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

Originally posted by ShimmeringStar
                    Sam (thinking): Wonder if I can convince her to use some of my conditioner...
                    Not to nitpick, but isn't she a he?
                    SQUEE like no one's listening.

Comment

Originally posted by Catysg1
                      As for Amanda , if the show is Canadian , don't they air Canadian show sin the US ..and where does Amanda live anyway ?!!! Will she have to move to Canada to shoot the series ?!!! it's a big decision if she has to move away but if the hubby wants to follow her , it may be alright!!! not sure what he does for a living !!!!
                      Ummm, Stargate is currently filmed in Canada, so Amanda is already working in Canada (and I believe she lives here too.) Not sure if the new series would be filming in Vancouver, like Stargate does, but it would likely either be Toronto or Vancouver.
                      Proud Canadian and army wife!

Comment

Originally posted by SueS
                        Now, as easy as it is for me to say, I think Amanda should take the Whistler role, this cannot be an easy decision for Amanda. She has spend almost 10 years with these people. They are like family to her. So this has to be a very difficult time for her.

At this point, all I can say is my prayers are with Amanda.

SueS

thanks, sues, for looking up info about Whistler. sounds like a neat idea.

i'm used to seeing your posts at Our Stargate forum, so it's nice to see you popping in this thread.

sally
                        sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by cafine_us
                          Not to nitpick, but isn't she a he?
                          yeah, I think that was the little boy who got himself in trouble.
                          Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Simhavaktra: Actually, I think that the last thing TPTB want is Amanda Tapping and Sam Carter off the show. She’s a very reliable piece of equipment in their company inventory, after all. Amanda’s a trooper and an actor that's always delivered for them. Sam Carter is a bona fide genius, and she does all that migraine-inducing… science stuff… that will persist in coming up from time to time in science fiction (danged inconsiderate of science it is ), and she can make it look believable while she’s doing it. That doesn't mean that TPTB don't respect Amanda - but it doesn't guarantee they do, either. It's perfectly possible to value a person without respecting them, and, without being psychic, never to tell which is which while listening to someone else speak.

LOTS to agree with there, Simhavaktra. The jury may still be out but the evidence is piling up that something is rotten in studioland.

Just sayin', intellingently & eloquently said, as always.
                            MISSION: STARGATE REWATCH 2011-2012 ENGAGED DONE!
                            sigpic
                            Beware Helen Magnus - Doctor of A$$-Kicking

Comment

Originally posted by Caylynn
                              Ummm, Stargate is currently filmed in Canada, so Amanda is already working in Canada (and I believe she lives here too.) Not sure if the new series would be filming in Vancouver, like Stargate does, but it would likely either be Toronto or Vancouver.
                              Toronto's close to New York, relatively speaking, isn't it? Then maybe she could do a bravura, Emmy winning performance on one of the Law and Orders? Take that PTB.

Comment

Originally posted by LaCroix

Merci or Thank you Lacroix

Humm ..yes I think so too .

Caty

Comment

Working...
                                X