Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Catysg1
    Yeah , Gillian Anderson lives in London most of the time ..She appeared in a play in the west end 2 years ago .Now I'm not really sure what she is up too but she looked very happy last time she spoke after her west end play

Caty
    I actually just saw a video today off of the Gillian Anderson Web Site that's an interview from this past week. Sounds like she's doing a TV series for the BBC called "Bleak House."

She's also speaking with a British accent, which is just weird to hear.
    "Sometimes we reach what's realest by making believe..."
    My LiveJournal - My Photography - My Art

Comment

Originally posted by Lys
      Helping this thread reaching page 1000.
      Why I loved Sam in season 3 :

She learnt how to use Goa'uld weapons

She got promoted.

She discovered her second true love, the naquada reactor and proved that even geniuses sometimes can't draw.

Two Carters ? If only ! (Sorry wrong season )

She found a new make up

To be continued.
      Wow, Lys, I sure hope so! Great Sam Carter moments, incl. Pt 1 & 2. Out of green chips but you earned them!

Just sayin'.
      MISSION: STARGATE REWATCH 2011-2012 ENGAGED DONE!
      sigpic
      Beware Helen Magnus - Doctor of A$$-Kicking

Comment

Originally posted by dmovies
        Yes, I'd like to see her take the new role. The down side being I wouldn't get to follow her career anymore since I'm in the U.S. Remember 'X files' and Gillian Anderson. I'd really hate to see Amanda's fate to end up like that. I'm
        just heartsick about the whole situation.
        Gillian has not taken a new role in a new show ..She moved to london and plays at the West end ..or she did last year ..Not sure what she does now . I know she is happy but would be willing to make a second X-files movie with Duchovny ..I bet he can't wait to make the film ..We haven't seen him anywhere since the film "Evolution"

As for Amanda , if the show is Canadian , don't they air Canadian show sin the US ..and where does Amanda live anyway ?!!! Will she have to move to Canada to shoot the series ?!!! it's a big decision if she has to move away but if the hubby wants to follow her , it may be alright!!! not sure what he does for a living !!!!

Caty

Comment

Originally posted by LaCroix
          Does anyone know for sure if BB/CB has signed on for season 10? Or are they
          waiting to see if AT, MS, and CJ sign on.

The reason I ask, if MS gets that role, hes gone. AT is still thinking about it. CJ must be waiting too.

IMHO, this might be a first. A show has been re-upped and none of the current cast/guests won't be there. Funny isn't it.
          Wouldn’t be ironic if the only reason MS was looking for new work was because of what was happening to AT. Seems kinda odd since from some of the MS fans you would get the sense that MS and AT don’t get along. It would also be odd because one would assume that with more CB there would be more MS, unless slimy Sci Fi has visions of Cam\Vala.... Maybe Sci Fi thinks they can make up for cancelling Farscape. o if we could all go back and relive our bad decisions. To bad it couldnt possibly work.
          Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by golfbooy
            What the hell is going on up there?
            you ever wonder why amanda (and rick) are being treated so shabbily?....

okay, here's something that popped into my mind

spoilers for atlantis' current season (future ep)

i've been stratching my head about this super promo of sam being on atlantis. it was in the tv guide. it's commercials for it are already airing months ahead... i think they were testing the waters to see how the fans reacted. and if that's true, THEN THEY KNEW ABOUT AMANDA'S SITUATION WAAAAAAY AHEAD OF TIME AND STILL DIDN'T HAVE THE *bleep* TO TALK TO HER ABOUT IT.

sally
            Last edited by majorsal; 30 October 2005, 05:30 PM.
            sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
              Here's a silly idea...how about they continue to keep her on as an integral part of the show?

How about rather than decreasing her role, thereby insulting the actress, the character and the fans, they actually increase her role so that she is kind of the "new Jack" in that everyone plays off of her?

How about we see her evolve in a leadership role and butt heads with Mitchell now and then as she shows him what's what?

How about we see her getting to know Vala...have them grate on each others nerves at first (and once in awhile) but then have them all work together for the good of the team?

How about we see her put into a wide variety of situations where she doesn't immediately have the answer and has to fight her way through a problem to make things work?

How about I step away from my computer before I punch a hole in my monitor???

good questions, Über. you're hired.

sally
              sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by xfkirsten
                I actually just saw a video today off of the Gillian Anderson Web Site that's an interview from this past week. Sounds like she's doing a TV series for the BBC called "Bleak House."

She's also speaking with a British accent, which is just weird to hear.

Gillian can switch from American to English accent just like that ..and she has been living in London for a couple of years now ..I haven 't seen her new show .. what is it about ??!!!!!I need to go and get more infos on that actually . will be nice to follow what she does a bit more .

May be Amanda can also do more of "Proof positive " ... It was quite good and I watched them all ...Was the programm successfull by the way ?!!! :

Caty

Comment

Originally posted by Naughtrish
                  Hi all, just adding to the thread to help you get the 1000 pages/20000 posts
                  While I am not a "Samandan" I do like Sam and IMO she should have been the leader after Jack did his exit stage left. That being said, I can't picture her on Atlantis. There is no hole to fill. And don't throw things at me for saying this, but I prefer the Sheppard/McKay banter rather than the Carter/McKay one
                  As soon as I get control of my bigger puter (tomorrow) I'll download the red book
                  Thanks for helping out, Naughtrish. Interesting way to describe the ill-planned double duty for Amanda: "There's no hole to till" in Atlantis. And for sure any plot with Sam/Rodney - *shudders.*

Just sayin', remaining hopeful of sanity's return in all this.
                  MISSION: STARGATE REWATCH 2011-2012 ENGAGED DONE!
                  sigpic
                  Beware Helen Magnus - Doctor of A$$-Kicking

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                    you ever wonder why amanda (and rick) are being treated so shabbily?....

okay, here's something that popped into my mind

spoilers for atlantis' current season (future ep)

i've been stratching my head about this super promo of sam being on atlantis. it was in the tv guide. it's commercials for it are already airing months ahead... i think they were testing the waters to see how the fans reacted. and if that's true, THEN THEY KNEW ABOUT AMANDA'S SITATION WAAAAAAY AHEAD OF TIME AND STILL DIDN'T HAVE THE *bleep* TO TALK TO HER ABOUT IT.

sally
                    Yes, this has been in the works for a long-----------time. But if that's the case, why didn't they give the shippers the closure they wanted. One thought that keeps popping up in the back of my mind, and I really don't want to even consider it, did RDA know this was coming after it became clear that he wasn't coming back? I so hope that's not the case. If it is, I don't really want to know!

Comment

Just saw AT on a film called 'life or something like it' with Angelina Jolie
                      sigpic
                      Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
                        This is one of those times when, unfortunately, bad things end up happening to really good people. I've gone through and read the last ten pages of posts, and I'm so proud to be a member of this great group, I'm just burstin' at the seams.

In the spirit of some of these more emotional confessions I've been seeing, I'd like to add one of my own.

I've never been an "online fan" before. In spring of last year, when I joined this forum, and later found this thread, I wasn't quite sure what to expect. I was directed here because Sam Carter was my favorite character on Stargate SG-1 and, I talked about her a lot at work, in the studio, and over coffee at Timmies. Ironically, the person who finally directed me to these message boards wasn't even a member of SAmanda. Wasn't even a member of the Stargate fandom (at the time). And I certainly never thought I'd ever see the day when I'd have to admit that I've posted more than three hundred times to a message board online. Wow.

From the very beginning of my very first moments in this thread, the folks here have so consistently been just the most generous, kind-hearted people. I simply don't believe I could possibly have found a more welcoming, more wonderful place to take my first forray into what it's like to join the ranks of online fandom.

In the past five months, I've made some neat new freinds, been lucky enough to share some really awesome ideas about science fiction in general, and about an outstanding character that I can now say - with all honesty - is one of my all-time favorite fictional entities. Samantha Carter can never truly 'be lost' because (for me, and I think for a lot of the folks around here who see what I see in her character) she is and she will always be a brilliant bastion (for female fans perhaps most especially) of what can be possible. What isn't so far-fetched, after all.

When I chose to post a comment to Joe M's blog last night, it wasn't because I was under the (misguided) impression that somehow, network politics could end up thwarted over an empassioned plea. I said what I did because I truly believe that the best way we can show our support for Amanda, is to continue to speak out often and positively about how much we'd miss Sam Carter if she were downplayed in the series (even a little bit). About how much enjoyment and excitement she's brought to fans all over the world, through nearly a decade. And of course - without any question - how TERRIFIC and OUTSTANDING an actress we think Amanda Tapping is. Because without Amanda, there would be no Sam Carter. Her character is as much a national treasure to her fans as Carter herself is to her country. She is a shining example of what a female in sci-fi CAN BE. And Amanda gave her 'life' in that regard. To lose that, even marginally, would be a detriment both to the television world of science-fiction as a genre and to SG-1 as a franchise.

When I began watching SG-1, I was so completely and pleasantly surprised by what Sam represented. Carter is a tour-de-force to look up to. She's a scientist, a soldier and a woman. She's got brains and beauty, strength and compassion. And even with all those amazing qualities she didn't turn into a cliche! I'm still not entirely sure how that was even possible, and yet she has never become an unbelievable character. Extraordinary - absolutely - but never for a moment has she been unbelieveable. I think she owes that to Amanda Tapping as much (in my opinion even moreso) than she does to the writing team who derrives her dialogue.

As a fan of that spectacular character, I'd be saddened beyond words to see her disappear. But I'd be even more disappointed to realize it had ended up being a result of some (truly cliche) ploy of "Network Interference." Or even worse - as a result of some ridiculous network executive's callous 'physical' commentary stemming from the fact that Amanda Tapping isn't 29 anymore. (And if that makes the rest of you as utterly disgusted to hear about as it made me when the innuendo was raised, then I think we're all on the same page).

Sam Carter is an institution to SG-1, and Amanda Tapping is Sam Carter. Not to mention that Amanda has such grace and class as an actress, there's no possible way to replace either her or her character without leaving a great, gaping hole in the Stargate universe.

No matter what they have to do to keep her viable, and to keep Amanda on board as a lead in SG-1 - not a victim of some callous off-hand decision-making process - I hope with every fibre of the fan in me, that the executive team at Stargate Productions does it. Because they have also been her colleagues for the previous decade. They, more than anyone, know what she is capable of and what Sam Carter means to SG-1.

As some of you know, I work in post-production, so I'm not a stranger to the entertainment industry. But there are always means to bend the board. If the network is putting pressure on SGP, then I would dare to hope they'll fight back against that pressure. I'd dare to hope they will give Amanda (and her character) the support that she deserves after spending a decade of her lifetime with the Stargate family. Business is business, but there are always ways and means.

mini(the melancholoy)geek

That is a wonderful post minigeek!!! I couldn't green, but I wanted to say that I agree with you!!!!!!!!

Comment

As for AT's treatment, to paraphrase that famous line with Jonas: "Rob, you're a chicken ****."

And to say they just can't think of what to do with Carter? Sheesh--5 minutes on this thread and I see a whole season's worth of ideas. And the so-called "pros" are stuck? It's gotta be some weird thing about the "direction" of the show--an ill wind which blows no good.

maybe a little estrogen on the writing/producing clique would help...

Comment

Originally posted by Queen Eleta
                            I will keep watching SG1 if AT isn't on it, because I want to catch the exact moment when the show 'Jumps the Shark'. Because we all know it's coming.

Sorry if that was a little...well...not so nice, but there have been too many changes that has had negative impacts on the show. It doesn't even seem the same, and it doesn't feel like a spin off either, because Atlantis is a spinoff and it is good.

I saw good luck to AT and whatever choices she makes!!
                            The show jumped the shark with episode 1, season 9. It's all over but the shouting.

Comment

Originally posted by dmovies
                              The show jumped the shark with episode 1, season 9. It's all over but the shouting.

I agree dmovies

to everybody Now ..I'm a bit confused ... you are all talking about MS ..Do you mean Michael Shanks ..right !!! you are talking about MS and a new role somewhere !!!! Did I miss something !!!! Has MS got a new project in mind too ?!!!

Caty

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
                                Wow, how neat is that? Naughtrish, esoap524, and sooo many others out there who've come from all the other walks of Stargate fandom to support Sam - you guys rock

Hey, maybe we will make 1000 pages this weekend - it's still Sunday in this part of the globe!

mini
                                yeah, guys, thanks for the support.

sally
                                sally

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X