Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
    So whereas my irritation was focused last night on behalf of Amanda (and still is, mind you) this post has to do with Samantha Carter.

"They don't know what to do with the character." What an incredibly insipid, arrogant and insulting thing for him to say. He is the executive producer. He can write whatever he wants to write. What, is he fresh out of ideas here? Are we really supposed to swallow that now?

We're talking about Carter folks, not some parttime character with little background, development or contributions. Samantha Carter...who defied orders to be with Cassie, who figured out the dialing system, who personally took out several Goa'uld, who wouldn't rest when her friends/loved ones were in danger, who saved earth from being sucked into a black hole, who almost singlehandedly prevented earth from being taken over by the Foothold aliens, who blew up a sun, who swallowed her hatred and worked with Ba'al to get rid of the replicators...and the list goes on and on.

So now they have Mitchell and they have Vala...and apparently the ideas run fast and furious for the new people...but not for Carter who's been their since Day 1. Nope. That idea well has run bone dry.

Is there any particular reason why they can't all be on there at the same time...each contributing their strengths and meshing together as a new entity? Why is it that when it comes to Sam and Vala, it's an either/or proposition? Can they not stand the notion of two strong female leads in the same show??? And why is it that between Carter and Vala, that CARTER be reduced in status to recurring? How on earth does this make any sense whatsoever??? I think the idea of them becoming good friends would have done a lot to end the animosity in fandom regarding these two...but it seems that TPTB are intent on building on that anger, rather than dissepate it.
    Hi Über:

I snipped some of the above message for the sake of space but I agree with all of it 100%. With regard to the issue of they don't know what to do with Carter and why cn't they all be on at the same time, I posted the following at Joe Mallozzi's blog as I believe it is the exact reason why they "don't know what to do with Carter" as lame and assinine as that is (and I really thought cooper could not go any lower but he always proves me wrong - he is about as low as you can go at this point not to even have the blls to call AT - what a crock). Anyway here's my take on the aggrevating and cowardly way out otherwise known as the "we don't know what to do with Carter" crap:

I have to respond to this with my opinion on it - yes that is what they (sony/mgm/skiffy/bridge?) are trying to do (get rid of Carter). Thus far Mitchell serves no purpose - Carter clearly runs circles around him when it comes to command, she is a threat to his being the male lead. SOMEONE, SOMEWHERE at TPTB level feels the need to have the MALE lead nonsense so they have to remove the threat to Mitchell, the one thing that continues to make him look useless, ergo ship Carter off to SGA for half the season while diminishing her role on SG1 and voila Mitchell can appear useful and competent while fullfilling the male lead nonesense.

The fact that Cooper admits to AT that they "don't know what to do with" a longstanding, core, integral character who has helped to keep this show afloat for 9 years is appalling and just goes to show that she cannot be the leader because it has to be the male lead so what do they do with her? She shows the supposed male lead up because she is more qualified, better prepared, more competent off-world, etc., and a very large portion of the fans don't accept Mitchell as leader or co-leader as long as she is around, so they remove the problem.

That is and has been my take on this for awhile - it's the numskulls who need the Male Lead thing and Carter just makes their Male lead look bad so it's bye-bye Carter - what a bunch of lame cowards, every last one of them.

Comment

Another pic to keep the pages rolling....

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Catysg1
        If I were Amanda , I would go for the new show ...it's fresh and she won't feel like she is redundant .

it will be exiting like any new project ..She is a very smart lady and it may be nice for her to also wear different clothes for that brand new show and also to be called somebody else than Sam CARTER . I hope she will take the new job .After all , she must have gone for the audition already ..and got the part . Good for her ...Time to leave SG1 and move on for Amanda

Caty
        Yes, I'd like to see her take the new role. The down side being I wouldn't get to follow her career anymore since I'm in the U.S. Remember 'X files' and Gillian Anderson. I'd really hate to see Amanda's fate to end up like that. I'm
        just heartsick about the whole situation.

Comment

Just wanted to de-lurk and give my support to Amanda - whatever direction she wants to take.

I've stuck with SG1 because of Amanda. .NOT RDA. We don't get to see many realistic, attractive, intelligent women in science fiction, and "Sam" is what I consider a terrific role model for young women who want to go into science fields.

I'm not going to get upset with anyone until a better picture forms, but I hope TPTB realize how important AT is to the entire show. If SG1 had not been picked up for season 10, then I would love for AT to move to SGA, but I do consider SG1 to be HER show and an occasional appearance on SGA would be fun.

Besides, moving her 50/50 on both shows would disrupt the dynamics on both shows. I do get the "vibe" that this is an excuse to make Claudia Black a regular - I like Vala, but not at the expense of Carter.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Originally posted by Catysg1
            If I were Amanda , I would go for the new show ...it's fresh and she won't feel like she is redundant .

it will be exiting like any new project ..She is a very smart lady and it may be nice for her to also wear different clothes for that brand new show and also to be called somebody else than Sam CARTER . I hope she will take the new job .After all , she must have gone for the audition already ..and got the part . Good for her ...Time to leave SG1 and move on for Amanda

Caty
            Yes, I'd like to see her take the new role. The down side being I wouldn't get to follow her career anymore since I'm in the U.S. Remember 'X files' and Gillian Anderson. I'd really hate to see Amanda's fate to end up like that. I'm
            just heartsick about the whole situation.

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
              Hey guys, check out those blog comments on JM's blog. I think we need a few more positive Sam Carter fans in there (without attacking Joe, of course please). Right about now we have a contingent of wacky folks trying to insinuate that Amanda (the person) deserves being kicked off SG-1 because of some sort of made-up fairy tale they have that she and Michael Shanks are on the outs. It's fantasyland. Lets outnumber 'em with the positive posts, shall we??

JM's Blog Comments

... Scroll to the bottom for the latest remarks.
              I posted positively... over there earlier..Oh hel*, I'm Queen Lurker.

Poz

Comment

Originally posted by dmovies
                Yes, I'd like to see her take the new role. The down side being I wouldn't get to follow her career anymore since I'm in the U.S. Remember 'X files' and Gillian Anderson. I'd really hate to see Amanda's fate to end up like that. I'm just heartsick about the whole situation.
                Actually, Gillian Anderson walked away with a small fortune from Xfiles and is doing exactly as she pleases--living away from the USA, appearing in plays of her liking and now has a movie or two on the horizon, along with zero apparent need to dredge up The Xfiles the way Duchovny does at every opportunity.

Ms. Tapping's fate, if it falls in line like Anderson's, wouldn't be bad at all.

The downside, of course, is to her fans who wouldn't get to see her, the way Anderson's fans haven't seen much of her recently.

Comment

Another Great AT Behind the Scenes Shot

My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by tsaxlady
                    Another Great AT Behind the Scenes Shot

Okay, that is CLASSIC AT. LOL - thanks for posting that. Love it.

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                    ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by SueS
                      Coming out of lurkerdom to post some info I found on this new series Whistler.

http://www.piquenewsmagazine.com/piq...istler+TV+1242

At this point, all I can say is my prayers are with Amanda.
                      SueS
                      Thanks for posting this SueS - it sounds like a pretty good show and it also sounds like they have some powerful CANADIAN TV people behind it. After reading this I hope that AT takes it and runs away, far and fast, from Stargate. This new show sounds intriguing and it could be a great opportunity for her.

AT TAKE THE PART ON WHISTLER - PLEASE

The best news is that, if I read the article right, a cable netwORK known as Noggin (which I think I get - yeah!!) has picked up the show in the US - please let AT take it and please let me have Noggin on my cable . . . .

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc
                        <>snip>>
                        The best news is that, if I read the article right, a cable netwORK known as Noggin (which I think I get - yeah!!) has picked up the show in the US - please let AT take it and please let me have Noggin on my cable . . . .
                        Thanks for mentioning this. I just checked and we get Noggin on Time Warner in southern California. What a relief...won't have to go cold turkey if Amanda does make a switch.

Comment

Originally posted by esoap524
                          Actually, Gillian Anderson walked away with a small fortune from Xfiles and is doing exactly as she pleases--living away from the USA, appearing in plays of her liking and now has a movie or two on the horizon, along with zero apparent need to dredge up The Xfiles the way Duchovny does at every opportunity.

Ms. Tapping's fate, if it falls in line like Anderson's, wouldn't be bad at all.

The downside, of course, is to her fans who wouldn't get to see her, the way Anderson's fans haven't seen much of her recently.

Yeah , Gillian Anderson lives in London most of the time ..She appeared in a play in the west end 2 years ago .Now I'm not really sure what she is up too but she looked very happy last time she spoke after her west end play

Caty

Comment

Originally posted by SunKrux
                            You know for a fact that RCC didn't have the guts to call AT? Maybe RCC was trying to figure out the best way possible to approach Amanda, since contrary to some here, I do believe TPTB actually do respect and appriecate all Amanda has given the show. Maybe RCC has been busy dealing with getting other folks signed on for the rest of the year and he was saving the best for last? There are probably reason we will NEVER be privy to as to why Amanda called RCC herself and found out about the new deal. No point jumping to conclusions or saying that TPTB want to replace Amanda with Claudia. Trust me, if they had wanted to do that, they would have well before now.

Sorry, I don't buy that TPTB don't appreciate or respect Amanda. Until I hear otherwise, from TPTB, I refuse to think they are deliberately out to kick Amanda off the show.
                            I posted this in another thread, but you'd think after working with a person for 9 years you (as showrunner) would have had the courtesy to keep informed the person most affected by the changes you know are coming.
                            There shouldn't have been a situation of finding the right moment, because that just appears to be a way of passing the buck - there was no way AT wasn't going to find out that everyone else had been rehired.
                            If they had been up front and honest they could have worked out some ideas between them and AT.

Whistler sounds cool, I hope she takes it. I wonder if the Beeb would consider buying it.

Gillian Anderson is currently in a 15 part BBC adaptation of Bleak House.

Comment

I will keep watching SG1 if AT isn't on it, because I want to catch the exact moment when the show 'Jumps the Shark'. Because we all know it's coming.

Sorry if that was a little...well...not so nice, but there have been too many changes that has had negative impacts on the show. It doesn't even seem the same, and it doesn't feel like a spin off either, because Atlantis is a spinoff and it is good.

I saw good luck to AT and whatever choices she makes!!
                              sig by PM

Comment

Does anyone know for sure if BB/CB has signed on for season 10? Or are they
                                waiting to see if AT, MS, and CJ sign on.

The reason I ask, if MS gets that role, hes gone. AT is still thinking about it. CJ must be waiting too.

IMHO, this might be a first. A show has been re-upped and none of the current cast/guests won't be there. Funny isn't it.

Comment

Working...
                                X