Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Traveler Enroute1
    That would rock! Her own ship, the VALKYRIE, maybe?

And of COURSE we know there's no ship between CO and sub.

Um, is this something officially proposed or is your creativity working it out for us?

Just sayin', nice idea.
    No ship 'till there's no direct chain of command.

The expanding Earth armada is real. I think Joe's even mentioned it in his Q/A thread. Whether Sam gets her own ship is currently just a figment of my very overactive imagination.

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
    ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by Traveler Enroute1
      Ain't that so, 'cause me, too. I actually passed my 350th post during this weekend and I feel like a speedbump rather than a milestone compared to many others!

But congrats are granted in advance, ann_sgcfansince you will definitely reach the mark very soon!

Just sayin', keep on posting!

Thanks Traveler Enroute1 and Congrats on 360+ posts!!!

Comment

Originally posted by golfbooy

Likewise, I can't see Carter's sudden presence on Atlantis helping that show out too much either. The minute she steps on Atlantis she's going to be more experienced than any other character on the show. She'll have the same command issues with Sheppard that she has with Mitchell, Rodney's position as science guy will pretty much be abidicated to Carter some of the time, and both of the female characters already on the show (who both need serious development themselves) are going to pale in comparison to Carter. Weir and Teyla hardly get any screentime now.

Both SG-1 and Atlantis are turning into a mishmash of characters with less and less structure to the stories, plots, and character arcs. It's as if the idea of "The Franchise" is completely overshadowing what's best for either show or any single character at this point.
        argh! you're telling me atlantis is having probs too?

i wish amanda was the lead of Medium, even though i like patricia arquette (sp?). or Cold Case.

(((((((((amanda)))))))))

sally
        sally

sigpic

Comment

Sorry TE1, I'm only at 2,500 posts. Not 25,000. But give me a few weeks though.

You know, right now I can't see beyond the utter disrespect TPTB displayed with regard to Amanda. I am sickened by their collective lack of regard for her contributions over the last decade or so. They could have given her the courtesy of a phone call. The fact that she had to ring them up to find out what was going on is completely and unquestionably wrong.

The idea of an SG-1 without Sam is a dreary prospect for me. I stumbled through the first few episodes because I knew she was coming back and I wanted to know what storyline she'd have to face when she returned. And as much as I now like Vala and love CB, the idea of a repeat of the Daniel/Vala Sexkitten Comedy Hour is about as appealing to me as eating my shoe.

Furthermore, the very fact that they don't know what to do with Carter is truly pathetic. Why don't they know? Is it because of Jack and ship?

As I've been saying, as much as I love ship, it's only one tiny part of who Carter is. She's a hero. She's a scientist. She's a soldier. She's brave. She's loyal. She's compassionate. She's strong. She's blown up suns. She's decimated Goa'ulds. She's rescued allies and survived hellish scenarios. There's 8+ years of development for this amazing character...and they're stuck because of the one aspect of her personality that includes Jack?

Seriously. That's tragic.

They have a unique opportunity to take Carter and Vala and have them become really close friends...each adding more depth to the other. But instead, TPTB have chosen the route of cowardice, further feeding the Vala vs. Sam mindset.

But hey, that effectively ends the command debate, now doesn't it?

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

God I loved hard ball Sam..... yes.. use your intelligence for blackmail.. only a select few can

Originally posted by minigeek
            Weir is way too protective of Sheppard's command. Canon shows that time and again. Plus, Carter and Weir have history; Carter blackmailed Weir to get a go for her mission in early season eight. Mutual respect for sure. But oh boy would they spar.

"I would never say that..."

mini
            sigpic

Comment

Hey, perhaps Rick and Amanda can get a head-start on the mooooovie.

sally
              sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ann_sgcfan
                Yes they are forgetting the 8 YEARS of development!!! Are we really supposed to believe Jack is
                Spoiler:
                in Washington (the man who hates politics and paper work) the war with the Goa'ulds is over. Why didn't he retire that was more likely it's not like they really mention him anymore.
                No great send off ... no respect!! Now AT is getting the same treatment!! WHAT ARE THEY THINKING!!!!

okay I'm trying to stay positive ... sorry for the slip. Ummm okay positive thought I have been doing this all night I can do this.... AT will be successful in whatever she does or goes. She has a great fan base that will follow her!!
                LOL! Was that so bad? Nice and positive, way to go. Critique well said, too.

Just sayin'.
                MISSION: STARGATE REWATCH 2011-2012 ENGAGED DONE!
                sigpic
                Beware Helen Magnus - Doctor of A$$-Kicking

Comment

In context... the show and it's history and the people who work for it.

Originally posted by chocdoc
                  Hi Myrth,

What do you mean by not knowing much---not knowing much about what?
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Myrth
                    See now a spinoff with Carter in charge of her own ship would be cool
                    ohhh you beat me to it Myrth!! I had the same idea! Sam with her own ship and a spinoff that would be awsome!!

Comment

No ship 'till there's no direct chain of command.

The expanding Earth armada is real. I think Joe's even mentioned it in his Q/A thread. Whether Sam gets her own ship is currently just a figment of my very overactive imagination.
                      I like it! Create on!

Just sayin'.
                      sigpic

Comment

While I play the goofball with the best of them, I’m not much good at portraying Pollyanna, nor comfortable doing it, and, that’s what I feel I’d be if I tried to project rosy sunshine here. (I assure you all - Samanda doesn't want to see me doing doing my rendition of sweetness and light, especially on the eve of Samhain. )

If this half the season one place, half the season the other place scenario comes to pass:

I fear for the character of Samantha Carter. The current configuration of TPTB apparently don’t know what they want to do with her, much less what ought to be done with her, logically speaking, nor how, precisely, they mean to go about accomplishing any of it. Having seen them create the banal, crass, senseless, obtuse and tedious this year, from what used to be Stargate SG-1, I am afraid that they are incapable of making a decent transition between SG-1 and Atlantis for the character, and all that will be accomplished in 10 eps on each show, will be to harm both shows and damage the character, who has been, like Stargate SG-1 itself, something both incredibly special and magnificently cool back in the day.

I ache for Sam Carter the woman – sent off into a distant galaxy, far from the home she’s made for herself, and the life she’s built there, to a place whose enemy she doesn’t know, without her teammates / family-by-choice whose support and input she’s come to know and depend on for 8 or 9 years. I suspect that Sam Carter the woman defends her heart with walls thicker and stronger than anything Cheyenne Mountain can hope to boast, and losing the people she’s let through those walls, having to live and work without them or the possibility of seeing them when she wants to or needs to, would be horribly painful and difficult and wounding for her. And, I fear that TPTB won’t be up to writing that well; we’ll get yet another version of Carter that will ring false on examination, and that will diminish the character, and both shows on which she has appeared.

I worry that Amanda will overextend and overwork herself in such a 10-episodes-here&10-episodes-there scenario, with two shows to work on, and two shows to which to give of herself, and I hate to think of her burning herself out, in any way, in the doing. I hope she’ll be wise, and strong, and only give what she decides she can afford to give of her time and her energy and her life if she takes up this challenge? trial? experiment? proposal? from TPTB. There’s more to life, and better, than working on Stargate SG-1, and the fact that I discovered her work there, won’t confine me to appreciating it there, if she decides to move on.

I hope Amanda chooses what’s good and right for her; what will make her happy and best serve her interests, plans, priorities, desires, needs, and dreams. She deserves much better treatment than to have to call the TPTB to find out what they’re planning for her employment. She’s a fine actress, a talented and entertaining performer, an intelligent, kind, giving, thoughtful, loyal, and pleasant person with integrity and strength and considered priorities, a hard worker, a devoted wife and mother, a grateful heart, a bright soul, and a beautiful woman. I hope Amanda knows that truth, and that people in her life make sure she's cherished for it. No validation from TPTB, or me, for that matter, is required to make any of that true, nor does this development, nor the discussion of the character Amanda plays on Stargate change or diminish that truth.
                        ...a very cranky blog:http://simhavaktra.blogspot.com/

Comment

This must be really hard for Amanda whether it all works out well or not. Like some said before me, good thing she is spending a weekend with her fans, at least she knows how much she is appreciated and loved by all of us.
                          But it must also have been hard to tell her fans the news.

I hope it will all work out well, even though I am not sure how it could right now. Because you guys are right, if they split her time between the shows, she wouldn't be a regular on either one.

What really upsets me the most is the way it was handled. How awful must Amanda have felt finding out that the other actors had been contacted already and then to hear that TPTB didn't "know what to do with her character"? Knowing how much thought and effort Amanda put into her character and the development of Sam, which, let's be honest, made Sam what she is today, this must have felt like a slap in the face.
                          I just hate the thought of Amanda's feelings being hurt like this.

The other thing that comes to mind is that Amanda always talked about her "Stargate-Family" and how much she enjoyed working with everybody, cast and crew. I am sure she would miss them all terribly. And splitting her time, will leave her in the middle of things, not really belonging here or there.

I am also concerned about what they are going to do with her Atlantis-wise. As some of you have already said, some of the Atlantis characters are hardly developed as it is. Unless something happened on the Atlantis side that we don't know about...

But this is all just speculations and as it is right now, it seems that not even Amanda knows what's going on. I hope we find out more soon, and hopefully, it'll be positive news. I am trying really hard to stay positive.

And I agree, wherever Amanda decides to go, she'll always have a loyal fan in me.

Thank you, Skydiver

Comment

Sam is checking out Teal'c

Now Teal'c is checking out Sam

The Million Dollar Smile that hopefully we WILL be seeing a lot of in S10
                            My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

Weir is way too protective of Sheppard's command. Canon shows that time and again. Plus, Carter and Weir have history; Carter blackmailed Weir to get a go for her mission in early season eight. Mutual respect for sure. But oh boy would they spar.

"I would never say that..."

mini
                              What further set that scene was the fact that Sam was both nodding and grinning wickedly as she said that.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                                Sorry TE1, I'm only at 2,500 posts. Not 25,000. But give me a few weeks though.

You know, right now I can't see beyond the utter disrespect TPTB displayed with regard to Amanda. I am sickened by their collective lack of regard for her contributions over the last decade or so. They could have given her the courtesy of a phone call. The fact that she had to ring them up to find out what was going on is completely and unquestionably wrong.

The idea of an SG-1 without Sam is a dreary prospect for me. I stumbled through the first few episodes because I knew she was coming back and I wanted to know what storyline she'd have to face when she returned. And as much as I now like Vala and love CB, the idea of a repeat of the Daniel/Vala Sexkitten Comedy Hour is about as appealing to me as eating my shoe.

Furthermore, the very fact that they don't know what to do with Carter is truly pathetic. Why don't they know? Is it because of Jack and ship?

As I've been saying, as much as I love ship, it's only one tiny part of who Carter is. She's a hero. She's a scientist. She's a soldier. She's brave. She's loyal. She's compassionate. She's strong. She's blown up suns. She's decimated Goa'ulds. She's rescued allies and survived hellish scenarios. There's 8+ years of development for this amazing character...and they're stuck because of the one aspect of her personality that includes Jack?

Seriously. That's tragic.

They have a unique opportunity to take Carter and Vala and have them become really close friends...each adding more depth to the other. But instead, TPTB have chosen the route of cowardice, further feeding the Vala vs. Sam mindset.

But hey, that effectively ends the command debate, now doesn't it?
                                Yep, my bad. Thinking ahead a few days, yes? LOL!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X