No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I couldn't resist this... I tried I really did.. here's hoping it's a premature overreaction and not the truth

(Sky - I'll take it down if it's not appropriate.. just lemme know)

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
      Wow, it's amazing how nervous this thread gets in the timespan it takes me to catch up on the thread.[/URL]
      Thanks Forever - great photos - I never would have guessed you were "at the back" of the room; these are very good. Just a little OT here - AT has such a natural beauty I wish they would let that shine through in the show more - her hair looks great here (and ususally does at cons when I am sure she has no "professional stylist" with her - let it go natural in the show and let her do it and I bet all the crap about her hairstyles would go away).

Anyway, back to the important stuff - if they really treated her like this then the suits and PTB at sony, skiffy and mgm are bigger a$$es than I gave them credit for (and I have lost what little rsepct I had left for that twit Bonnie Hammer) - what a bunch of jerks making it so she had to call cooper, and after 9 years of loyalty and hard work and a huge freaking fan base for the show.

I hope it was not as bad as it sounds for her. Cooper and the other losers at Bridge should have had the courtesy to call her if sony, skiffy and mgm did not and at least tell her that Carter would be back but they just don't know in what capacity or in which show. I can predict one thing - the negativity towards Mitchell (and perhaps BB) and vala (and perhaps CB) could increase if it is perceived that they are the reason Carter is being split between both shows.

Me, I will read it this way - They (the a$$es) want Mitchell (BB) to be the male lead a/la Jack so they have to either get rid of Carter or somehow limit her appearances on SG1 because she is, as much as many do not want to admit it, the defacto leader of SG1 at this point and with her around many do not, and will not, accept Mitchell so they move her to SGA too to prop up the ratings, however, they need AT for SG1 for obvious reasons so they split her time.

I think in the end this could be a good thing for AT. As someone else pointed out, none of the others have been given this offer so it could very well be a good thing for AT as they know their future is wrapped up in SGA and they want her there - as someone also said earlier SG1 is a dying show and, IMO, it has reached, did already reach, it's zenith and is now on it's way, very fast, downhill. (In a way I will be glad if she gets out of SG1 - better to not be associated with it too closely when it jumps the shark and goes off the air with a whimper because it overstayed it's welcome.) I have said this before, many times, I believe that because all of TPTB at Bridge are splitting their time between the 2 shows and trying to write, direct and produce 40 shows a season they are putting more effort into SGA because IT IS THE FUTURE of the franchise and that SG1 has been getting the short end of their attention span since season 7 - SG1 has clearly suffered in the past few seasons since both shows started and I am hopeful that, in the end, AT does go to SGA fulltime while SG1 tanks with no one to blame but sony/skiffy/mgm and the danny/vala lovers.

If they want AT for both shows I actually see that as a compliment - they, sony/skiffy/mgm or whoever, could just as easily have shot her down and put her off SG1 altogether so BB/mitchell and CB/vala could become the stars. In a way they (the a$$es) are admitting that AT is a powerful presence with a large fanbase and they cannot have BB and CB as the stars if she is there since she will overshadow them, and they cannot afford to put her off the show altogether, so they are leveraging her talent, her presence and her popularity, by having her in both shows (as silly as this thought is, but this is what came to my mind, she will be the Heather Locklear of the 2000s. Remember HL when she was the big deal on TV in the 80s because she was on TJ Hooker and Dynasty at the same time).

It may actually be that for once the boys at Bridge are thinking ahead and Season10 could very well be her transition to full time SGA and that could be a good thing as it means AT and Carter will live on since SGA is the future of the franchise. It may actually mean they see her as an integral part of that franchise since they will have her on both shows (I don't see the same thing happening for any of the other blokes and when SG1 tanks in S10 AT will be taken care of for as many years as SGA carries on or for as long as she wants). It is too bad they (the a$$es) chose to handle it in such a shabby, disrespectful manner though. The other good thing that just occured to me is that Brad Wright is the showrunner for SGA and he is soo much better than cooper - IMO, SG1 also took a turn for the worse with cooper as showrunner when Brad moved to SGA so there is definitley hope in that department since, IMO, cooper has made some very, very bad decisions for the Carter character since season 7.

The one thing I hope they get right in all of this if it ends up she is on both shows is that they treat her, AT, and the character of Carter, with the respect that both deserve (I fear for AT though, since they have apparently already treated her badly) and that, coupled with what has happened with Carter in the past 2-3 seasons, makes me worry for how they will actually handle this whole thing with the character too, but Brad being at SGA gives me hope. I hope Carter is given a high level position at SGA (dare I hope they promote her to full Colonel) - it will be interesting to see what they do with the characters there - I just hope they do not go over the top with Carter and McKay - that would be bad, very bad (almost as bad as the description Martin wood has given for McKay's immature hallucination in GUP).

I still also find it very interesting that at the same time this is going on we are hearing rumors that MS might not be back because of some TV opportunity he supposedly has. (If all of this is true and they split AT/Carter so Mitchell and vala can have bigger roles I wonder if they will start to overshadow dear daniel so that the fans of daniel go nuts and begin their anti-campaign against the 2 newbies. This whole thing could get very ugly - it may actually turn out to be fun to watch as SG1 meets it's demise.) I really wonder what is going on behind the scenes (and if it is all just negotiating posturing) - it is also interesting that over at the AJM thread last time JM was on he, for the first time I can recall, made some remarks alluding to his questioning whether he would be back in S10 - very interesting that this is all going on at the same time.

Anyway, sorry for the rant/long post . . . just me running off in a million different directions right now - talk about disarray . . . .
      Last edited by binkpmmc; 29 October 2005, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
        She allegedly told RCC she had an offer for another series. Not sure what that means.
        my list on what i'd like to see amanda on:

lost

medium

one of the 'law and order's

one of the 'csi's

ER

NOT a bellisario show (he'd kill her off)

smallville

cold case

(there's more, can't think)

or a brand new show, with amanda playing another kick-a$$ character.

sally
        sally

sigpic

Comment

I'm still in a state of confusion regarding this news. Thanks to Kat for posting her account.

On the one hand, it's demeaning to Amanda and the character of Sam to regard her in this manner. First they dismiss RDA's involvement and throw his character away like a rag doll and then they do this to Sam? Unforgivable, if this is the way TPTB act. They seem to have found their new niche and it doesn't include her. Selfish, selfish, selfish and shame on you TPTB. Nice way to treat someone who's been there through it all and has been the consumate professional.

On the other hand, if Amanda has another offer, good for her. I'd love to see her branch out to perhaps a network show. I would love to see her as Jack's new assistant on L&O or a WH staffer on The West Wing. Or something entirely different. I hope that she finds tremendous success in whatever she decides to do.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Queen Eleta
            She'll be great in anything she does, just like always. Sam's smarts and Jack's smarta$$ were what drew me to the show in the first place.
            Originally posted by JanSam
            Amanda is a very talented actor and very respected so I feel confident she would be approach with offers. I would watch anything she was on....
            Amen to that. I hope everything works out for Amanda. She certainly does not deserve to be treated like this. But I also know that Amanda will succeed, no matter what!!!

And, on another note, WOW:
            Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 58

On Edit: Make that 70.
            Last edited by Dani76; 29 October 2005, 06:44 PM.

Thank you, Skydiver

Comment

Hey guys. I just took a moment to head over to Joe's blog and post a comment about how much we'd like to see Amanda continue to play a significant role on SG-1, in a positive way.

If (a lot?!) of you would like to join me, I think we can save that comment section from becoming a flame war - I saw someone already posted something in the spirit of being upset on Amanda's behalf - and I think Amanda wouldn't want her fans to do that.

Maybe, if a whole whack of us headed over there and posted something nice about Sam Carter, we could make a bit of a dent in the blog comments for the postive. AND simultaneously give Joe something he can (if he so wishes) point to later should he or any of the other powers that be wish to help support keeping Sam on board for as long as possible.

The more people (even lurkers) who choose to come out and say even one line about how much they'd like to see Carter return, the more impact it'd make, if you ask me.

So yeah, this is a call to SAmandans ... lurkers and non, to play a little game of "lets talk about how much we love Sam Carter" in Joe's blog-comments for a little while.

Anyone interested? I sure hope so.

Latest Comments on Joe's Blog

mini
              Last edited by minigeek; 29 October 2005, 06:25 PM.

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
              ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by Myrth
                I couldn't resist this... I tried I really did.. here's hoping it's a premature overreaction and not the truth

(Sky - I'll take it down if it's not appropriate.. just lemme know)

myrth, i love it....but b******** gets cut by the forum's lanugage fiilter so....really isn't appropriate

if you make it then you need to choose another word or maybe put ******** in its place

also....ther's bound to be some 'at is reduced because of claudia' stuff going on. We won't foster that here. I would suggest that you use a shot of all of them if you're going to post that publically, or just sam's face and silhouettes of the others or something
                Last edited by Skydiver; 29 October 2005, 06:30 PM.
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc
                  I've thought about this a little more, and I agree with you, golfbooy. AT is being used to carry both shows. Sure, in some ways this is a compliment that they think she can help with the ratings of both shows. Keep Sam in SG-1 so people who really are watching because she still is in the show will keep watching (RAISES HAND). Then, also have Sam in Atlantis, say 10 episodes, enough to get a larger audience their too. But what kind of credit will AT really get for this?

Just speculating---but maybe they are going to write Sam as the scientist that solves different problems on both shows. Maybe Sky is right too---maybe AT will already be set with Atlantis, which is the show that most likely will last much longer.

It's still rude though---I think they are using her POPULARITY and GOOD WILL, but in an inappropriate way. Gosh, I hope some GABIT attendees can tell how AT really feels about this. And I hope more discussion happens about this tomorrow at the Q & A.
                  I know. I can't help but feel as though she's being taken advantage of, both her and the character of Sam Carter. The fact of the matter is, for me, as long as SG-1 is on the air, then the character of Sam Carter belongs there.

I too am keen on learning exactly how Amanda feels about the issue. Hopefully someone at Gabit will read this discussion and relay our feelings to her. I'd hate for her to make a decision thinking that all her fans (and all stargate fans) are ambivalent to what happens to Carter.

Comment

Wow. When the news breaks, something gets broken. As soon as I read ForeverSg1s' post, my computer crashed! I can only surmise everyone was trying to post at once and my poor little dial-up got caught in the wave.

Will scan your comments a bit!

Just sayin'. Wow.
                    MISSION: STARGATE REWATCH 2011-2012 ENGAGED DONE!
                    sigpic
                    Beware Helen Magnus - Doctor of A$$-Kicking

Comment

Originally posted by golfbooy
                      Well, I do hope that some people will tell Amanda Tapping how they feel about the notion of her splitting her time between the shows. I don't like the idea, but that's just me. If I'm reading the quote above correctly, it seems that she was looking for some kind of feedback. Anyway, all I'm saying is, if you're there, let her know how you feel about the idea. I don't care if you hate the idea, love it, or couldn't care less so long as she's happy. But speak up.

Look at this from Amanda Tapping's point of view. RCC didn't even have the guts to call her and explain what was going on. Lose the cell number? Bottom line: they want to replace AT with CB. You can't look at this any other way. I can't believe that they could be so SLIMEY and unprofessional. If I was Amanda I would be ferious. Who else has been more loyal and who else has worked as hard and put in the long hours. And to think that she put off her personal life for these guys, only to get a hatchet in the back. This is a total slap in the face. It is another demotion. I have nothing against 'Atlantis', but this is a demotion; a cheap trick to save a show and get more money. Amanda should not take this insult. If she has another offer she should take it. SAD, very SAD. All the time, work, effort, loyality,-- trashed and tarnished. What about all the Amanda Tapping fans out there who gave their loyality to Stargate SG-1. What a low blow to us. We were the one's who defended you against the 'dark places people'. Now; you've left us for them. The move is a bad as your recent scripts.

Comment

Sure But dumb question from someone who doesn't venture outside this thread much.. where is Joe's blog?

Ta
                        sigpic

Comment

Mini, I like the idea and the intention, but I'd feel a little more inclined to PM him with our feelings than post in the blog. It's already up to some 285 posts (last time I looked) and I'm not sure even Joe will read all of those. What does everyone else think?

Comment

Originally posted by Myrth
                            Sure But dumb question from someone who doesn't venture outside this thread much.. where is Joe's blog?

Ta
                            Latest Comments on Joe's Blog - scroll past the 288 other comments to the bottom for the latest ones, and to add your own.

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                            ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Done I know how they love to pay homage to other shows on SG.. South Park ahoy

Originally posted by Skydiver
                              myrth, i love it....but b******** gets cut by the forum's lanugage fiilter so....really isn't appropriate

if you make it then you need to choose another word or maybe put ******** in its place
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc
                                Thanks Forever - great photos - I never would have guessed you were "at the back" of the room; these are very good. Just a little OT here - AT has such a natural beauty I wish they would let that shine through in the show more - her hair looks great here (and ususally does at cons when I am sure she has no "professional stylist" with her - let it go natural in the show and let her do it and I bet all the crap about her hairstyles would go away).

Anyway, back to the important stuff - if they really treated her like this then the suits and PTB at sony, skiffy and mgm are bigger a$$es than I gave them credit for (and I have lost what little rsepct I had left for that twit Bonnie Hammer) - what a bunch of jerks making it so she had to call cooper, and after 9 years of loyalty and hard work and a huge freaking fan base for the show.

I hope it was not as bad as it sounds for her. Cooper and the other losers at Bridge should have had the courtesy to call her if sony, skiffy and mgm did not and at least tell her that Carter would be back but they just don't know in what capacity or in which show. I can predict one thing - the negativity towards Mitchell (and perhaps BB) and vala (and perhaps CB) could increase if it is perceived that they are the reason Carter is being split between both shows.

Me, I will read it this way - They (the a$$es) want Mitchell (BB) to be the male lead a/la Jack so they have to either get rid of Carter or somehow limit her appearances on SG1 because she is, as much as many do not want to admit it, the defacto leader of SG1 at this point and with her around many do not, and will not, accept Mitchell so they move her to SGA too to prop up the ratings, however, they need AT for SG1 for obvious reasons so they split her time.

I think in the end this could be a good thing for AT. As someone else pointed out, none of the others have been given this offer so it could very well be a good thing for AT as they know their future is wrapped up in SGA and they want her there - as someone also said earlier SG1 is a dying show and, IMO, it has reached, did already reach, it's zenith and is now on it's way, very fast, downhill. (In a way I will be glad if she gets out of SG1 - better to not be associated with it too closely when it jumps the shark and goes off the air with a whimper because it overstayed it's welcome.) I have said this before, many times, I believe that because all of TPTB at Bridge are splitting their time between the 2 shows and trying to write, direct and produce 40 shows a season they are putting more effort into SGA because IT IS THE FUTURE of the franchise and that SG1 has been getting the short end of their attention span since season 7 - SG1 has clearly suffered in the past few seasons since both shows started and I am hopeful that, in the end, AT does go to SGA fulltime while SG1 tanks with no one to blame but sony/skiffy/mgm and the danny/vala lovers.

If they want AT for both shows I actually see that as a compliment - they, sony/skiffy/mgm or whoever, could just as easily have shot her down and put her off SG1 altogether so BB/mitchell and CB/vala could become the stars. In a way they (the a$$es) are admitting that AT is a powerful presence with a large fanbase and they cannot have BB and CB as the stars if she is there since she will overshadow them, and they cannot afford to put her off the show altogether, so they are leveraging her talent, her presence and her popularity, by having her in both shows (as silly as this thought is, but this is what came to my mind, she will be the Heather Locklear of the 2000s. Remember HL when she was the big deal on TV in the 80s because she was on TJ Hooker and Dynasty at the same time).

It may actually be that for once the boys at Bridge are thinking ahead and Season10 could very well be her transition to full time SGA and that could be a good thing as it means AT and Carter will live on since SGA is the future of the franchise. It may actually mean they see her as an integral part of that franchise since they will have her on both shows (I don't see the same thing happening for any of the other blokes and when SG1 tanks in S10 AT will be taken care of for as many years as SGA carries on or for as long as she wants). It is too bad they (the a$$es) chose to handle it in such a shabby, disrespectful manner though. The other good thing that just occured to me is that Brad Wright is the showrunner for SGA and he is soo much better than cooper - IMO, SG1 also took a turn for the worse with cooper as showrunner when Brad moved to SGA so there is definitley hope in that department since, IMO, cooper has made some very, very bad decisions for the Carter character since season 7.

The one thing I hope they get right in all of this if it ends up she is on both shows is that they treat her, AT, and the character of Carter, with the respect that both deserve (I fear AT though, since they have apparently already treated her badly) and that, coupled with what has happened with Carter in the past 2-3 seasons, makes me worry for how they will actually handle this whole thing with the character too, but Brad being at SGA gives me hope. I hope Carter is given a high level position at SGA (dare I hope they promote her to full Colonel) - it will be interesting to see what they do with the characters there - I just hope they do not go over the top with Carter and McKay - that would be bad, very bad (almost as bad as the description Martin wood has given for McKay's immature hallucination in GUP).

I still also find it very interesting that at the same time this is going on we are hearing rumors that MS might not be back because of some TV opportunity he supposedly has. (If all of this is true and they split AT/Carter so Mitchell and vala can have bigger roles I wonder if they will start to overshadow dear daniel so that the fans of daniel go nuts and begin their anti-campaign against the 2 newbies. This whole thing could get very ugly - it may actually turn out to be fun to watch as SG1 meets it's demise.) I really wonder what is going on behind the scenes (and if it is all just negotiating posturing) - it is also interesting that over at the AJM thread last time JM was on he, for the first time I can recall, made some remarks alluding to his questioning whether he would be back in S10 - very interesting that this is all going on at the same time.

Anyway, sorry for the rant/long post . . . just me running off in a million different directions right now - talk about disarray . . . .

Bink, great post! I like how you reminded me that Brad Wright is actually running SGA and that does give me hope too. He can make sure that Sam is written well! And actually Martin Wood directs many more shows for SGA, and I actually like his directing. And SGA does have a longer life ahead. Also, Martin Gero seems to be a great new writer for SGA too.

I do think like you that they are doing this because of BB as the leader. And that is the part that upsets me. They know that Mitchell is coming across kind of useless. Instead of canning his character, they decide to change Sam's character. Or they could try to make the co-leader thing work. And it makes me even madder because much of this is happening because AT dared to have a baby. I think CB has been good, but if AT had not been pregnant, then CB would not have been on so much--and you know what--the ratings would easily have been just as good. Sam centered episodes have done actually very well in the ratings.

Comment

Working...
                                X