No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought this was interesting ... This comes from an interview from AT during the first season after Singularity and Solitudes aired in April 1998... Since I mentioned I liked these two episodes earlier.

Tapping makes special mention of "Singularity", an episode "involving a little girl that I become very attached to. That was an important show in terms of showing Carter's ability to love, and her need to be loved. It shows a great deal of her compassion, her struggle with being a strong, military woman, this detachment she's supposed to have [contrasted with] her attachment to this little girl. It was nice to play all the sides of that coin. Carter is a very smart woman, but she's also quite impulsive in that she's ruled by her heart. She'll go against orders because she truly feels it's the right thing to do. I like that about her."

Then there's "Solitudes," which is significant in Tapping's estimation because it allowed her to express the full range of her character's attributes. In the episode, Carter and O'Neill are stranded on an icy planet and, when O'Neill is severely injured, it's left to Carter to find the Stargate and return them safely home. "That one runs the gamut for her," Tapping explains. "It shows her determination to try and find a way out, and it shows her physical strength in that she has to dig her way out of this glacier. And it allows her to be a scientist in that she must find a way to get the gate working. I'm very proud of that episode."

Comment

i just got my copy of cost of honor in the mail today. i think i'm going to save it for next week when i'm on a long road trip to read it. i can't wait. i love sally's writing and knowing that it has sam whumping, is even better

LOVED night terrors. I personally recommend this fic to any sam fan

I too don't necessarily blame vala's silliness on CB. It's on the writers and directors. they're writing those silly lines, the director's the one that cut her loose and let's her get carried away....and i blame whomever (hic, male) came up with her costuming.

those factors and a lack of any real depth has worked together to make vala so much less than she could be

and yeah, it should be interesting when folks start to campaign for the reprise of john/aeryn. especially since, many of the existing gaters that are pushing for vala are pushing for her since she's paired up with daniel most of the time and since they tend to prefer daniel, anything that brings him to the front is a good thing...so when scifi caves to the pressure to reprise john/aeryn, it'll be fun to watch those very same folks that are campaigning for vala to have to turn a quick 180 when vala's presence diminishes what they feel should be daniel's level of participation

I think i'll sell tickets and reserve my ring side seat. it should be quite entertaining
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ann_sgcfan
        I was not at the con personally. I read about some rude fans a couple of years ago booing her and making comments while she was on stage. What I can't remember is if they booing her or what she said. I was trying to find where I saw that, but no such luck yet, I'll keep looking. The person said it in passing like it didn't last long or everyone just ignored them or pounded them.

On the upside... If the rude fans had actaully met her they would have loved her. Everyone that has met her has nothing but good things to say about her. It doesn't matter if they are a Jack, Teal'c or Daniel fans they all have nice things to say.
        Taking a break from my packing and sorting ...

I don't know which con or cons ... but that's one of the reasons GABIT came into being. Some of Amanda's fans were upset with the actions/behavior of unruly fans and also the demands placed upon AT by the con organizers (long hours of signings and photo sessions) and they wanted to have a smaller venue just for her. So they got together about two years ago and formed a small company and then began planning to bring her back to London. GABIT stands for "Get Amanda Back in Town".

I'll let you know how it turns out!

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
          Damm, they were lucky I wasnt there....

*strokes knuckle duster*
          Man, I WISH you had been there, AD!

And yes, can we start placing bets on how long it takes for some of Vala's fans to turn on her, should she be given a role in S10 that is - dear Lord - ATTACHED from Daniel? I'm looking forward to that BIG TIME.

Comment

Originally posted by LaCroix
            Oh no. I meant that if she wishes to be a recurring player she'll bear the brunt of "blacklash" with this group. I didn't mean anything else. The wordmasters passed on me me today.
            Actually, I think the only way this group would be upset is if Claudia's Vala were to replace Amanda's Sam. Hezmana, as much as I like Vala, I'd be upset if that happened. Remember, I'm all about the "Why does it have to be either Sam or Vala? It should be BOTH!"

I know I've only been in this group a few weeks, but I get the feeling that most here would be upset, but wouldn't take it out on Claudia herself, but on TPTB for their choice.
            sigpic
            I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
              I'd hate to see any actor/actress stuck in that position.
              Sadly, with some fans, that's exactly where Ben Browder sits. Poor chap.

But I'm with ya. 9 times outa 10, actors have no say in what happens in the show their in, UNLESS they are producers of said show.
              sigpic

Comment

I just thought I'd step in and echo Strix's comments about Sally Malcom's The Cost of Honor. (and the first book, A Matter of Honor) They're well written and a really fun ride. Strix is right about all the whumping, and they're full of angst, too. Everyone feels guilty in the second one, and for good reason in most cases.
                Spoiler:
                Imagine how Jack would feel if he had to leave Sam behind in the hands of Baal's goons. And imagine how Sam is treated by those goons and how she deals with the aftermath.
                If you want some more spoiling and discussion, check out this thread http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=15405

There are also links to the fan fics written by the authors of all the Fandemonium books in the thread, so if you've read and liked the books, you can check out their fanfiction too.

NC

Comment

Originally posted by Simhavaktra

Yes!

Just the thought of the Emu as a kickass (squawking, pecking) red-eyed martial-arts terror of a villain is waaaaay cooler than any Ori ever, er, sparked.

"...the Emu's steely beak snaps out, propelled by awful strength of his muscelled neck. Faster than a striking snake that powerful beak pecks the stone of the Prior's staff with a sound like breaking plastic, and the stone shatters like a blue egg, greasy shards falling to the ground with dull and muffled plops. The Prior stares, slack jawed, bleached tongue a-loll, at the crumbled remains of his power - until the Emu lunges again, snapping the very staff itself with a powerful lunge of that vicious beak. The Prior stumbles back with a cry, but the Ori aren't listening, as the Emu fluff his feathers and his eyes glow like the fire the Prior thinks he worships. The Emu comes for him, beak up and ready, heavy-taloned feet advancing one slow and ominous step at a time, silent, and deadly. The shards of staff and stone crumble to dust as he tramples them, and when he charges, the Prior screams for his Mother and runs - but there is no escaping the power that is... THE EMU..."

Yes! Can we have the Emu for a villain? Please? Please? He's just so - so - villainous when he puts his mind to it!

::falls down laughing again::

(oh, man, am I gonna be in trouble with Duck Dodgers over this )

Gertrude, did you hear the latest?! Eddie just got done kickin' some serious Prior butt. Those darn pasty-faced preachers won't be coming around here for a long, long time! Psst ... Eddie's been prancing around acting very macho. While he's on a roll, let's send him over to Bridge Studios. I hear there's an opening for a recurring actor ....

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz

Can we NOT traumatize the spaz, please?!

And SunKrux, I didn't know CB was so private, but I don't blame the poor women. I'm with Strix in not wanting to see ANY actor/character in that kind of position, but I do feel bad because actors like CN, BB and CB have a lot of pressure to bring home the gold. And when they don't deliver for EVERYONE, they most likely hear about it from SOMEONE. The Internet makes it too hard for them NOT to, I'd imagine.

I really hope they just laugh off the extremists at the end of the day and go on about their lives, because no one deserves to feel like that.
                    Hopefully they do laugh off the igits. But sometimes, it's hard to do even that. Kinda like it's hard to ignore a bully, right?
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ann_sgcfan
                      Yeah. me too. I'm not a big fan of the character's over the top personality, but I blame TPTB for that not CB. I think there is still hope for the character if toned down some. I have nothing against CB at all and I hope she doesn't get the same treatment AT has gotten from some rude people at cons. Neither one of them or any of the other cast members deserve it.
                      Sadly, there are still some fans who can't seperate the actor from their character and they bring that delusion with them to cons.

The cons I've been to, most folks are very kind to Claudia (same some fans are rude to anyone) last year there was a fan that kept at Claudia to sing again (she graced us with her beautiful singing voice the year before) and she politely, but firmly told this fan no. I wanted to smack said fan. That was rude to keep on her about singing when it was pretty clear to me (and most of the other fans ) year before last that singing (while she does love doing it) in front of people, fans was nerve wracking for her. She hadn't sung in public in like 10 years before that con. Shame though...she does have a beautiful, soulful voice. *sighs at the memory of Claudia's gift

Although, I have heard of fans demanding that Fran Buller (Ben's wife) divorce Ben so he and Claudia could get married. That's just down right rude and stupid.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver

i just got my copy of cost of honor in the mail today. i think i'm going to save it for next week when i'm on a long road trip to read it. i can't wait. i love sally's writing and knowing that it has sam whumping, is even better

LOVED night terrors. I personally recommend this fic to any sam fan
                        So Sally Reeve also writes under the name of "Sally Malcolm"?! I loved Night Terrors too.

Thanks for the hot tips, Strix, NC, and Sky!

Comment

Originally posted by SunKrux
                          Actually, I think the only way this group would be upset is if Claudia's Vala were to replace Amanda's Sam. Hezmana, as much as I like Vala, I'd be upset if that happened. Remember, I'm all about the "Why does it have to be either Sam or Vala? It should be BOTH!"

I know I've only been in this group a few weeks, but I get the feeling that most here would be upset, but wouldn't take it out on Claudia herself, but on TPTB for their choice.
                          I agree.
                          Hey, I even fall into the target demographic that SciFi is aiming for (male 18-25) and I get a good laugh out of movies like American Pie, Super Troopers or Austin Powers. The problem I have with Vala (note Vala, not CB - she's an Aussie actor for christs sake!) is that her character doesn't fit the feel of the Stargate Franchise. Stargate has never been about the cheap sexual innuendoes. But the fact that Vala has come in and basically done nothing but that (exceptions being that scene at the end of Avalon 2 and TPTB) is what I have the problem with.
                          And then all the spoilers we've got for the end of the season
                          Spoiler:
                          with Vala being pregnant and the baby thing
                          just screams of bad cliches (though I'm willing to wait and see how it goes).

But if for any reason, Vala ended up replacing Sam on the show then I will be extremely peeved. Probably stop watching the show even (Atlantis and BSG are both awesome shows in their own right). But it'd be a sad day

BUT I'm confident there will be plenty of Sam for season 10. Every interview I've read Amanda sounds keen to return, and thats good enough for me

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
                            You mean to tell me people actually pay to attend a convention and then act like a rude moron?? Seriously? That is patently pathetic. I'd have thought everyone at those conventions was there to have FUN. I hope they threw those people out...

mini(the disgusted)geek
                            Sadly, mini, there are people who shell out the dough and then come to the con with the attitude that the cast/crew owe them something. I dispise people like that and have said as much to any fan within ear shot that is behaving that way.

What most fans may not realize is that the cons pay the actors (not much aside from travel and lodging and autographs) but what little bit o' money the cast/crew get from cons doesn't go far or compare to what they make when they're on series. Most of the money goes to the con company.

If you're gonna shell out the money to attend a con, and plan to go with the attitude that the cast/crew owe you, do the rest of us a favor and stay the frell/frak/heck HOME! Leave us to have fun without having to incounter your rudeness. <---- my motto when con time runs around. LOL
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55

(re: s5's ascension)

I think we get a bit more insight into Sam the person in that episode. In the commentary the director said he wanted to do a long crane shot of Sam sitting with the clothes at the end of the ep, but they were out of time. I think you get the sense of loss, but it would have been even more touching the director's way.

so you saw/heard the commentary for 'ascension'? so did the commentary say or give the impression that sam and orlin had had sex???

sally
                              sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                                Damm, they were lucky I wasnt there....

*strokes knuckle duster*
                                I'm with ya AD! *strokes her pulse pistol and whip

There is no call for such behavior. As I've mentioned, I have no problems telling folks at cons if I think they're being rude. <weg> But usually, I just ignore the igits or make fun of them with my pals. <weg> They do not get to join in on our fun.

BTW - any Samandains going to the Burbank FS con next month (aside from me and txlady?) If so, wanna meet up? PM me if you do. I'd love to meet some of you lot in person.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X