No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've always felt that GEEK!Sam and OUR!Sam were practically identical. Okay, except for the hints of Lucille Ball. Other than that, I didn't see much difference really. GEEK!Sam to me was like watching OUR!Sam inside out, if you know what I mean.

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan

Holy Hannah, I really shouldn't have eaten all of those prunes this morning

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
        Bit of a GEEK!Sam dissertation on the way, lol

All these photos got me thinking about GEEK!Sam. I know some of us have very firm character theories about the differences between OUR Sam Carter and the GEEK!Sam Carter we saw in Moebius, so hopefully I won't stomp on anyone's toenails with my opinion.

The thing I've seen come up a lot is the discussion of how different the two characters are (which is true) but I think GEEK!Sam gave us a really neat idea of what STRONG!Sam (our Sam) is really insecure about, on a basic level.

Our Sam had a different upbringing than GEEK!Sam, since she had her father to set an example for her and to look up to. But there were some neat moments (and lines) that G!Sam had which I thought were telling. The notion that, at times she felt as though she was doing 'other people's homework' while they took the credit - and the notion that the only kind of guys she attracted were the kind that, shall we say, wouldn't have been on any champion sports team-unless there were pocket protectors involved!

She had a great line when Jack told her he thought she was 'hot' - she said "You're not the kind of guy I usually attract." Now, we all believed that about GEEK!Sam, given her lack of self-esteem, but what about (to a lesser degree) OUR Sam? I think that was telling for her, too, because I think her intelligence would intimidate the hell out of a lot of the (more 'macho-sect' guys who make up a great deal of the stereotypical military comando core). I think that's part of the reason she ended up making bad choices when it came to men (ie Jonas Hanson), because she herself found that type of man inaccessible, to some degree. There was a small part of her that knew she scared off a lot of guys, and she was never attracted to the "science geek" type of guy, herself, so when a guy like Jonas showed interest in her, she'd automatically find that more flattering than if, say someone like McKay did. Lets look at this realistically. No one with Sam Carter's brains would have gone through adolescence as captain of the cheerleading team; aka the girl dating the highschool quarterback. It just wouldn't happen, because kids are notorious for being less than charitable to the "smart ones". Her looks notwithstanding, someone like Jonas Hanson, for example, would almost certainly end up being the kind of guy who wanted a fairly superficial relationship. As ended up being the case.

I think OUR Sam has a lot of the same (latent) insecurities as GEEK!Sam did, but to a lesser degree, and of course not as overtly. As a Sam/Jack shipper, I also think that's part of the reason that she's been so reticent for so many years - regs aside - of expressing her feelings to Jack. Because she remembers what happened with Joans, and guys like Jack simply don't "fall" for her, in amy meaningful way. I think that's also the reason she was so taken with Pete so quickly and why she was so proud to tell everyone that "he's a cop". Because that right there made him NOT a science geek.

Just a few cents to throw into the Sam Carter analysis pile! But something I was thinking about for a while.

mini
        I couldn't green ya so I thought I'd take a moment to tell you that I agree with your post.

Comment

Yes. Which isn't to say Sam won't see her fair share of screen time, Sal. Don't forget that Joe is (and was) a major champion for bringing Ben on board this season to begin with. Ben's character is a personal project for Joe, and these are his ideas about what he feels will make the show stronger, so he's obviously going to march in the Cameron Mitchell band. But Amanda's still on the show, she's still a very strong character, and she'll be back in season ten. She'll stick up for her Sam Carter (as she always has) and the rest of the cards are simply going to fall where they will. I really wouldn't lose sleep over this. I don't think Amanda is, either.

mini

Well said, MiniGeek!

Comment

I've just decided that I'm staying away from Joe's thread. My blood pressure thanks me.

TPTB seem to think that everything's just "perfect." And I've got some ocean front property in Oklahoma to sell 'em .
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jafacakes
              No! I live 6 miles from Tonbridge, I would have loved to meet you
              And , by the way , Tonbridge is in Kent
              Hey jc, small world! As a Yank, I apologize since I don't have my map of England handy ... isn't Kent in Sussex though?! Kinda like our counties and states over here?

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                Hey jc, small world! As a Yank, I apologize since I don't have my map of England handy ... isn't Kent in Sussex though?! Kinda like our counties and states over here?
                Kent is a County, Sussex is a County, like Lancashire is a county There is West Sussex and East Sussex. Kent is due north of East Sussex. Essex (AT County) is due north of Kent, north of the Thames!!

CG you are a sweetie!! Can't wait to meet!!
                Last edited by Coley; 23 October 2005, 08:42 AM.

Comment

Bit of a GEEK!Sam dissertation on the way, lol

All these photos got me thinking about GEEK!Sam. I know some of us have very firm character theories about the differences between OUR Sam Carter and the GEEK!Sam Carter we saw in Moebius, so hopefully I won't stomp on anyone's toenails with my opinion.

The thing I've seen come up a lot is the discussion of how different the two characters are (which is true) but I think GEEK!Sam gave us a really neat idea of what STRONG!Sam (our Sam) is really insecure about, on a basic level.

Our Sam had a different upbringing than GEEK!Sam, since she had her father to set an example for her and to look up to. But there were some neat moments (and lines) that G!Sam had which I thought were telling. The notion that, at times she felt as though she was doing 'other people's homework' while they took the credit - and the notion that the only kind of guys she attracted were the kind that, shall we say, wouldn't have been on any champion sports team-unless there were pocket protectors involved!

She had a great line when Jack told her he thought she was 'hot' - she said "You're not the kind of guy I usually attract." Now, we all believed that about GEEK!Sam, given her lack of self-esteem, but what about (to a lesser degree) OUR Sam? I think that was telling for her, too, because I think her intelligence would intimidate the hell out of a lot of the (more 'macho-sect' guys who make up a great deal of the stereotypical military comando core). I think that's part of the reason she ended up making bad choices when it came to men (ie Jonas Hanson), because she herself found that type of man inaccessible, to some degree. There was a small part of her that knew she scared off a lot of guys, and she was never attracted to the "science geek" type of guy, herself, so when a guy like Jonas showed interest in her, she'd automatically find that more flattering than if, say someone like McKay did. Lets look at this realistically. No one with Sam Carter's brains would have gone through adolescence as captain of the cheerleading team; aka the girl dating the highschool quarterback. It just wouldn't happen, because kids are notorious for being less than charitable to the "smart ones". Her looks notwithstanding, someone like Jonas Hanson, for example, would almost certainly end up being the kind of guy who wanted a fairly superficial relationship. As ended up being the case.

I think OUR Sam has a lot of the same (latent) insecurities as GEEK!Sam did, but to a lesser degree, and of course not as overtly. As a Sam/Jack shipper, I also think that's part of the reason that she's been so reticent for so many years - regs aside - of expressing her feelings to Jack. Because she remembers what happened with Joans, and guys like Jack simply don't "fall" for her, in amy meaningful way. I think that's also the reason she was so taken with Pete so quickly and why she was so proud to tell everyone that "he's a cop". Because that right there made him NOT a science geek.

Just a few cents to throw into the Sam Carter analysis pile! But something I was thinking about for a while.
                  mini
                  Cool analysis, minigeek.

I cut OurSam some slack, though, with the Jonas Hanson debacle. OurSam may have been a geek back when, but there are always astute guys to spot a diamond in the rough. Even "hot" guys are attracted to geek girls if simply for prestige in some cases. Like, Hanson had to know Sam was top of the academy heap, and being so full of himself, may have gone out of his way to be whatever would attract her, to be the best with the best, in this case, girl. Judging from Hanson's "proposal" in The First Commandment he still hadn't gotten over himself and his big achievement, his engagement to Sam. So he probably was able to submerge any insecurities regarging OurSam's brilliance, being one of the "more 'macho-sect' guys who make up a great deal of the stereotypical military comando core." [IMO]

I agree, though, that if Hanson was all he was reputed to be (and all he thought he was) then maybe he was out of her reach, if not out of her league. Attention from him would have come out of the blue, and if done correctly, would have appealed to her. Of course, OurSam being the ever analytical geek eventually saw through him and put him aside. Somewhere in here I'm agreeing with you, just from a different angle. I think.

I've often wondered what OurSam's academy experience was like. We only had snippets in Prodigy and the brief past a la Hanson from The First Commandment; did she run into problems like Haley, butting heads with professors and students alike? Did her father's status in the corps hinder or protect her? I sense a plot bunny!

Minigeek, thanks for prompting my fron this morning. I go into thesis mode on the RDA/Jack Thunk thread sometimes, too. This is the beginning of my AT/Sam thesis pile!

Just sayin'.
                  MISSION: STARGATE REWATCH 2011-2012 ENGAGED DONE!
                  sigpic
                  Beware Helen Magnus - Doctor of A$$-Kicking

Comment

i think the largest difference between geek sam and our sam is her confidence. our sam has the backbone imbued by the military. and, i think, her father. our sam knows that she's right about stuff and has the cajones to stand up for being right

geek sam lacks that totally. geek sam is unsure of herself and doesnt' know how to stand up for herself.

but, and this is just a bit of shipper thinking, what geek sam needs is someone to believe in her. she needs someone to root for her, to urge her on, to help her believe in herself.

and i think, in moebius, first daniel then jack is that someone.
                    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                      No need to apologise Kent and Sussex are neighbouring Counties. There is in fact East Sussex ( home of Bodiam Castle, a mighty fine one as well) and west Sussex. East Sussex starts about 2 miles from me and about 8 from Tonbrige so you weren't far off.
                      If you ever come to this parts again give a shout

Doh, just saw Coley's answer , sorry for the repetition.

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                        Captions???

I knew we should have gone to specksavers ...

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                          i think the largest difference between geek sam and our sam is her confidence. our sam has the backbone imbued by the military. and, i think, her father. our sam knows that she's right about stuff and has the cajones to stand up for being right

geek sam lacks that totally. geek sam is unsure of herself and doesnt' know how to stand up for herself.

but, and this is just a bit of shipper thinking, what geek sam needs is someone to believe in her. she needs someone to root for her, to urge her on, to help her believe in herself.

and i think, in moebius, first daniel then jack is that someone.
                          Nice catch: Daniel acknowledged her intellectual accomplishments. Jack noted her personal (and feminine) attributes even as he acknowledged her brilliance.

Just sayin'.
                          MISSION: STARGATE REWATCH 2011-2012 ENGAGED DONE!
                          sigpic
                          Beware Helen Magnus - Doctor of A$$-Kicking

Comment

News just in from the ask Joe thread
                            Originally posted by JMallozzi
                            Originally posted by ShardsofGlass
                            Joe,

Will Mitchell and Carter ever have an onscreen conversation about being co-leaders?
                            Not in season 9.
                            Well if it isnt going to be in season 9 then that means never to me
                            gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                            so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                            love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by Qasim
                              News just in from the ask Joe threadWell if it isnt going to be in season 9 then that means never to me
                              Yes that seems to be their new motto. Don't mention it and maybe the fans will forget about it. How disappointing

Sorry I was looking forward to coming back to see what has happened in the past week and several of JM's comments has made me wish I had stayed away.

On the brighter side good luck and safe travels to all those going to
                              GABIT next weekend. (I think it's next weekend). I look forward to hearing all the details!!

Comment

here is another quote from JM's thread ...

Originally Posted by chocdoc
                                Hi Joe,

Since Carter and Mitchell will not have an onscreen conversation about being co-leaders in season 9, will it still be obvious that they are co-leaders of SG-1 in the episodes in the second half of season 9? Will they act as co-leaders of SG-1 where the viewing audience can clearly tell that this is so?

JM's response : No.
                                yep I should have stayed away.

Comment

Working...
                                X