Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jckfan55
    I have the same impression as you, chocdoc. Some may have criticized a lack of Mitchell development or said "too much Vala" but for the most part I don't think we've torn down characters and certainly not actors. No one blames BB, for example, for the credits issue. And we certainly have Not degenerated into "we love Sam therefore Daniel is stupid" kind of stuff you might see in reverse on other threads. Still, I think Sky is right to periodically pull us out of these funks we get into.

oops--left out the pivotal *not* in earlier sentence
    I'm with you two. I know I tend to speak up a lot where Ben and Claudia are concerned, but it's coming from my Scaperlovin' heart and I mean no disrespect towards any of my fav SG1 characters. Call me the voice of reason or annoying.

As for the producers and whatnot, not listening to fans, they do, but they do NOT have to change the show to suit the fans, even if it means big business. That's all I'm saying. I never meant to imply that we can't or shouldn't speak up if we don't like what TPTB are doing, but ultimately, the show really is their "baby"...they created it, they have a vision for it and while fans might not always agree (trust me there are tons of fans I know who are unhappy with any number of shows on now) with TPTB's ideas or vision, and no matter how much noise some fans might make in hopes of getting TPTB to change that vision, it might not happen.

Then again, it might. I just tend to trust most well done shows (like SG1, FS, Gilmore Girls, Lost, House - all my fav shows) TPTB's vision for their show. Don't let my way of thinking keep you from protesting if you don't like something. Just don't be surprised if I pipe in every now and then.
    sigpic
    I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

is it too massive? thats just the way it came out, i didn't do anything to it other than change it from a bmp to a jpg. i put one on the s/j thread too and brightened it cos it were a tad dark. i'll get better when i have time to.
      oh and thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by stargate barbie
        is it too massive?
        Filesize is too big 174.2 KB - limit is about 70kb
        gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
        so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
        love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by Qasim
          Filesize is too big 174.2 KB - limit is about 70kb
          ok, sorry, hows this one? its just over 70;

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
            So it's not a matter of counting the seconds that each actor is in the credits. It IS about the fact that the show is much more a team show now (I mean in that the leads are all of equal value...I'm still actually WAITING for an honest to goodness TEAM episode)...and trying to foist Ben (who is not the producer or the star) onto the fanbase by having him situated in the same way RDA was in the opening credits like that is disrespectful to Amanda and Chris (and heck even Michael)...and even to RDA I think.
            As usual, in all of your verbosity, you made some awesome points ( ), however I've decided to highlight this portion. It irks me every time I hear someone else say it besides me, it hits a nerve every time I think about it myself, and I can't help but just feel WRONG about it all. Sheesh. Especially - ESPECIALLY - Amanda and Chris. Bah. There aren't enough "roll eyes" smileys in the galaxy right now.

First of all, I know I always say this, but I'm gonna say it again anyway. After seeing how Jonas/CN was treated in S6, seeing how Cameron/BB has been treated seems like a disturbing contrast. And no matter how it really went down back then, something was super off, and it totally killed the whole "Stargate Family" fantasy I'd allowed myself to believe. It's beginning to look like EVERYONE was wrong there (whatever "wrong" was), and no one is willing to publicly accept responsibility for it.

Second of all, I do pity JM and his posse and the monkeys at SciFi, because I'm sure they ALL thought that we were ALL gonna be completely blown away by the new credits. The fact that JM was talking about them in September kinda makes me believe that. It was just another form of publicity, and at the time, it was necessary and applicable. We were all still whining and moaning about the 10-second credits at that time. And when we heard about the credits, there weren't too many bad things to predict - even for the pessimists. Oh, the irony.

And then we finally saw the credits (as they knew people all over the world would by now ), and we immediately attacked them with complaints like a pack of wolves. I'd imagine they've seen the emails, posts, blog comments, and they've either backed away in horror or laughed hysterically.

I don't know which one is worse.

No matter how you slice it, a lot of the things they've done this year have violently backfired, if only by the (once again) divided fandom. Only this time, there are MULTIPLE camps within the fandom, all with their own preferences and issues. Even ship didn't bring this much chaos. Now you've got "Sam's Brigade," "Vala-Dictorians," (two groups who REALLY should find some common ground, FCOL) and you've got "Random Scapers Anonymous," as well as the various permutations of ships left on the board. It'd be humorous if it wasn't such a battlefield these days.

And yes, I admit, I have a tendency to be the first to unsheath my sword.

Comment

Originally posted by stargate barbie
              ok, sorry, hows this one? its just over 70;
              That's a good size, if not a LOT smaller by comparison.

I guess I wasn't complaining because I'm on a network at school that has DSL. Now, if I had been at my parents' house...

Comment

Now you've got "Sam's Brigade," "Vala-Dictorians," (two groups who REALLY should find some common ground, FCOL)
                i nominate SunKrux as our liason. whether she likes it or not!

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
                  I guess I wasn't complaining because I'm on a network at school that has DSL. Now, if I had been at my parents' house...
                  Doesnt bother me either - but the dial-uppers dont like it
                  gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                  so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                  love Torri

Comment

Then the The Ties that Bind came around and I began to actually look favorably on Affinity. Heck...at least Sam's in it...and some of my favorite Casual!Sam shots of her are in it too.

But then I have to say I'm GLAD Sam played no role in TTTB. She is in no way tinged by that atrocity of a story.
                    Excellent point! Can't green ya.

Comment

Originally posted by Traveler Enroute1
                      Has anyone considered how we'll celebrate our first 1000th page?

Sounds like a party!

I'll sleep on it, perchance to think of something cool, crazy, nice, etc. for the Kingdom of Samanda's milestone.

Just sayin'.
                      Perchance another Royal Ball ... there was one bash held in the kingdom many moons ago. And fireworks, there must be fireworks!

Comment

Good evening, Kingdom of Samanda! I've just skimmed today's three pages of posts to make sure you haven't read my news yet.....and you haven't! Cool! So, before I go back and read carefully the three pages of insightful comments (as always, here on this thread), the Royal Reporter would like to share something very interesting.

I found this tidbit of news on another thread. It's OT, since it's linked to an ep before AT returned this season, but I still thought you would like to know about it. Here's the link:

http://www.filmhaunt.com/

Gotta go read today's discussion now! Back later!

Comment

... Here's the thing ... I ADORE Ben. He is a fantastic actor. I know this because I watched Farscape and saw what he is capable of. I saw just a few episodes and was impressed by both him and CB.

And perhaps that's one of my biggest issues right now. I'm not seeing any of that person here. Boy, I thought it was just me! Yes, you've named it ... there is something not ringing true. I'm not sensing his charisma or charm almost at all (although there have been moments)...and that stuns me. My feelings too ... at times he almost looks uncomfortable or unsure of himself in the role. I was hoping that having him there would lessen the blow of losing RDA. Sadly such is not the case right now. Could it be that BB, himself, has been set up by TPTB to fit into an RDA "mold" and the pressure is just too great? I think he's actually trying to find himself and something is keeping him slightly off balance.

Then we have the whole command issue...shortly followed by the credits issue...and I get the feeling that they are madly trying to cram him into the SG landscape...demanding that the (currently) square peg fit into that round hole and they keep hammering and hammering...telling us how wonderful he is, how great he is to the show, etc...and it makes me almost resent his presence. That makes me sad. And BB may be feeling all this pressure and it somehow is holding him back.

Granted, they've seen the rest of the season (duh), so perhaps he will mesh with the others much better. I not only hope that the case, I believe it could be because I know how great Ben is. He does have the potential to really make Cam into quite an enjoyable and sustainable character.

But the point for this Stargate/Sam/Amanda fan is that I get the sense that they're almost desperately trying to get the fanbase to appreciate Ben and his character and are promoting and boosting him up to the detriment of the others and that rings wrong to me and is unfair to those who have been with the show for the entire run (or most of the run). It seems that way to some of us but maybe the actors themselves aren't interpreting it that way at all.

... The good news is that it SEEMS at least Amanda is really happy. I'm trying desperately to hold onto that fact. I feel she's been disrespected...but if she honestly doesn't feel that way, then I'll just have to learn to deal with my feelings and set them aside so I can enjoy my favorite show. We may, indeed, have to let it go. It may be more of our issue, as loyal and protective fans, than the actors'. They do seem to be getting along according to most interviews.
                          Uber, this was an honest appraisal and your perceptions of Ben really seem to be what I've been feeling too. Amanda is a class act and I think Ben is too. They will be professional in their dealings with each other and with their fans. So let's see if second half of season fares better.

As to going with our intuition, I mentioned awhile back about the "blink" experience and it is worth reading. Someone asked "just a woman thing?" Absolutely not! We all have this intuitive sense. It's an interesting phenomenon and the author looks at first impressions or gut feelings that sometimes just pop up when dealing with someone new or a complex situation. Why do we suddenly "just know" the truth before our mind even rationalizes the whole scenario? Blink by Malcolm Gladwell. Check it out. Some fans may be having a "blink" moment about Stargate too.

Has anyone been keeping tabs on the current GW survey? It seems that the "not impressed" with BB is a minority vote and many fans have embraced the new guy.

Comment

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn
                            Good evening, Kingdom of Samanda! I've just skimmed today's three pages of posts to make sure you haven't read my news yet.....and you haven't! Cool! So, before I go back and read carefully the three pages of insightful comments (as always, here on this thread), the Royal Reporter would like to share something very interesting.

I found this tidbit of news on another thread. It's OT, since it's linked to an ep before AT returned this season, but I still thought you would like to know about it. Here's the link:

http://www.filmhaunt.com/

Gotta go read today's discussion now! Back later!
                            Kudos to the Royal Reporter for landing a scoop! We do know the Queen will not be attending as she will be in London with her own entourage.

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                              Perchance another Royal Ball ... there was one bash held in the kingdom many moons ago. And fireworks, there must be fireworks!
                              Apropos, ChopinGal, a Royal Ball, the Royaller the better! How shall we entertain our Royal Guest of Honor? Shall there be song? Blue Jello? Games?? Whatever, just FUN in AT/SC's honor!

Suggestions, and soon!

Just sayin'.
                              MISSION: STARGATE REWATCH 2011-2012 ENGAGED DONE!
                              sigpic
                              Beware Helen Magnus - Doctor of A$$-Kicking

Comment

i too think that both ben and amanda are professionals.

which is why, as much as i would love to see amanda front and center, i can deal with it the way that it is.

I think that, had all this happened a couple of years ago, she would be doing her best to be in the spotlight, but now she has other priorities, namely a little brown haired bundle of joy....and olivia trumps the career hands down.

which is why, as much as we'd love to see amanda in the forefront, i think she's happy where she is. i think the boys at bridge are doing what they can to accomodate her and give her the time she needs and wants with her daughter...and if this means that we bet the cameron mitchell hour....so be it.

doesn't mean that i wouldn't love to see more sam...but until i can know for sure that recent events have been not what she wants, i can deal with it.

after all, i have 6 full seasons and 2 partial seasons of sam fun to console myself with
                                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X