Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NearlyCircular
    I think you're right, sally, but I don't think it's anything new. I get the impression that AT has had to nudge (push) TPTB for most of the nine years. She's mentioned that she talked to them early in the series about just writing Sam as a soldier and letting Amanda take care of making her feminine. She had to really push to be able to direct an episode (wasn't it written into her contract that year?) And I think it was at her prodding that they delved into Sam's personal life in the last few seasons. Somehow I doubt she would have seen it the way they did, though.

NC

Well said, NC. AT seems to have to fight for things she wants on the show, and she'll continue to have to do so.

Positive light on the credits: Only BB and AT get two pictures during their names (not good for CJ though). Negative----only Browder is in the opening scenes---not a good thing and I do not believe he deserves this at all. I actually was a little bummed when I heard that they were going to show full credits because I thought this would happen---they would give BB the opening shots like RDA even though BB's name is after stargate. Too bad---I wish TPTB could have surprised me, but alas it is the male-dominated crap rearing its ugly head again as usual.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
      How about this?

Stargate + Amanda Tapping=Joy
      Stargate - Amanda Tapping= Disappointment
      Or in AD's case:

Stargate + Amanda Tapping + Teryl Rothery = Mmmmm
      Originally posted by ForeverSg1
      /*delurking once again*/

After weeks of begging me for a Geek!Sam wall, I finally got off my bum and made one for Uber ( sorry umlauts are not in my contract ). I decided to share it with the rest of my Samandan family. Hope you like it.

Geek!Sam

/*crawls back into the shadows*/
      Mmmm....such geekiness

Whilst we are on the subject of credits I thought I would repost this its a humorous take on the shortening of the SG1 credits:

wmv 4.43mb - http://s52.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0...40AO23H5RROLI7
      gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
      so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
      love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by tsaxlady
        HAPPY BIRTHDAY AGENT DARK!

Refreshing change ... a non-bedroom AT birthday card for AD!

Love these two photos of Sam - flying high at the controls of her fighter jet and then that great AT grin in the second. Thanks, ts!

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
          regarding amanda's latest interview in the stargate magazine... is anyone else getting the feeling that amanda is having to fight (for what's fair/best) for her character? and if so, after 9 years of surviving on this show, isn't that a shame....

am i reading too much into it?

thoughts?

sally
          Sadly, many of us are "reading between the lines" and coming to the same disturbing conclusion, sal ....

I wonder how much power she'll have in that movie that's being pitched!

Comment

gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
            so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
            love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc
              Well said, NC. AT seems to have to fight for things she wants on the show, and she'll continue to have to do so.

Positive light on the credits: Only BB and AT get two pictures during their names (not good for CJ though). Negative----only Browder is in the opening scenes---not a good thing and I do not believe he deserves this at all. I actually was a little bummed when I heard that they were going to show full credits because I thought this would happen---they would give BB the opening shots like RDA even though BB's name is after stargate. Too bad---I wish TPTB could have surprised me, but alas it is the male-dominated crap rearing its ugly head again as usual.
              This is a warning: Jerin is about to go into one of her rants: What the (*&(&(^ do we have to do to get a little recognition of AT's great work and loyalty for 8 years? What does the talented and professional actress have to do? What do we, one of the largest group of loyal fans who've stayed w/ them since the beginning, have to do? I have nothing against BB or CM. In fact, I think BB is delicious. However, if this is how TPTB reward 9 years of loyalty, what a horrible message to send out to AT, CJ & even MS. I'm just so disgusted with them. It's bad enough that 9/10 of the female characters in the show have to dress so tight that they can't even breathe. To add insult to injury, they don't give AT the much deserved leadership and now this crap. No offense to Farscape fans. I caught a few episodes myself: a very interesting show. However, if TPTB feel that show's fans are more important than their original bread & butter, why not just start producing Stargate again? Why pretend to be making Sg-1? Let's just have it. Let's just change the show's name to The Ben Browder Show with guest appearances by CB. Pfft!

Goa'uld queen in possession of Daniel, Jonas and Martouf clones
              Lovely signature courtesy of Admiral Q O and Skydiver.

Comment

A collection of pics: http://sg1photos.fotopic.net/c25677.html
                love Torri

Comment

Thought for the Day

At a recent sci-fi con, Amanda was asked how she continues to stay in shape and look so good even though so many seasons have already gone by ... the fan complimented AT, implying that she hasn't really grown older onscreen, seems to stay the same. Amanda kidded around at first but then said: "I'm freakin' happy ... and I know that I'm so lucky" alluding to the fact that she loves to go to work and has a supportive family, etc. I think also that she's always willing to push herself to take on new challenges, like directing last year. (Finally!)

Today, I came across the following quote by William Bennett and I thought of Amanda:

Happiness is like a cat. If you try to coax it or call it, it will avoid you. It will never come. But if you pay no attention to it and go about your business, you'll find it rubbing against your legs and jumping into your lap. So forget pursuing happiness. Pin your hopes on work, on family, on learning, on knowing, on loving. Forget pursuing happiness, pursue these other things, and with luck happiness will come.

Not a bad piece of advice. It seems to work for Amanda. Perhaps we should try to follow the same formula!
                  Last edited by ChopinGal; 19 October 2005, 07:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                    Happiness is like a cat. If you try to coax it or call it, it will avoid you. It will never come. But if you pay no attention to it and go about your business, you'll find it rubbing against your legs and jumping into your lap. So forget pursuing happiness. Pin your hopes on work, on family, on learning, on knowing, on loving. Forget pursuing happiness, pursue these other things, and with luck happiness will come.

Not a bad piece of advice. It seems to work for Amanda. Perhaps we should try to follow the same formula!
                    Indeed
                    love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by crazedturkey
                      Hmmm...

Seems he appears an awful lot prior to the Stargate SG1 logo...

Not quite sure how I feel about that...

Believe I need to ponder..
                      So he's above the title like RDA was? If so, I'm appalled. Despite what Farscape fans say (and I liked Farscape myself) BB is *not* a name the way RDA was/is. Not to mention the slap in the face this would be to AT, MS & CJ.

Comment

Stargate project has it up now as well: http://www.stargate-project.de/starg...te=news&ID=637

oh, how nice. i see it IS the ben browder show.

sally
                        You are absolutely right. When I posted it here last night, I had just found it and was so excited and wanted to share it with you. Then I watched it...

This has been the last straw. The last month or so I have become really disturbed by the news that we were getting and I am very disappointed, to put it mildly.
                        Whether it is PDL's statement about supporting actors, or now, the opening credits.
                        Someone in the UK who had seen it for the first time told me, okay, it goes Stargate SG-1, BB, Amanda, and so on. And I was like, okay, well, it was kinda to be expected that BB would get the first spot, but at least he's not up all the way on top, like they did it with RDA. Well, then I watched it yesterday, and I don't know about you guys, but all I could see was BB, BB, BB, SG-1, BB, BB, oh and then there are some other actors, too.

Well, some of you might say it was skiffy. But you know what, if whoever makes the decisions within Stargate would have some guts and integrity, (s)he could have stood up and put an end to this. If they really wanted to, that is. And that is actually what I am afraid of, they don't see anything wrong with it, they don't seem to understand what kind of message they are sending with this.

This is not only disrespectful to the Character(s), but it is now getting to a point where it is disrespectful to the actors, or, to clarify, the supporting actors, as PDL put it so nicely.
                        All I can say is: WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?????

You have three great, talented, and determined actors who have been loyal for 8 years, who have been putting effort and time into the show and their characters, who go to conventions all over the world to promote the show, how much better can it get.
                        And then, of course, there is Amanda, who, being a mom for just 6 weeks, comes back to the set to continue shooting. I think that does deserve a lot of respect. And I do not believe that she only did it to "keep her job", she did it because she is so dedicated when it comes to the show and her character.

Bringing in a new guy, that's nice, if you think you need a fourth guy, whatever. Making his character the new leader (or at least co-leader) doesn't make any sense and is not logical at all. And the same exact argument applies to the RL situation. Again, I have nothing against BB, really I don't, but to make the new guy the lead of the show...I mean, COME ON! BB is as green when it comes to the show, as Mitchell is when it comes to leading SG-1. He is not the one who has put 8 years of hard work into the show, he is not the one who has made Stargate, the show, what it is today. No, it's the "supporting" actors, who did that. Where is some respect for them. Where is some appreciation for all their hard work.

I am sorry, I do not mean to offend anybody or to stir something up. But to put it bluntly: This is making me sick.

regarding amanda's latest interview in the stargate magazine... is anyone else getting the feeling that amanda is having to fight (for what's fair/best) for her character? and if so, after 9 years of surving on this show, isn't that a shame....

am i reading too much into it?

thoughts?

sally
                        I have the same concerns as you do and, like I said above, I am very disappointed.
                        The first time I really got worried about this was when I heard how much Amanda had to fight for directing an episode. At first I bought the "well, it doesn't work out with the shooting schedules" story, but after a while I started wondering what was really behind this whole issue.
                        Could it be that Amanda is really having such a hard time behind the scenes? I mean, I know it can't all be bad, because even Amanda, as nice and big hearted as she is, wouldn't have stayed around forever if she were unhappy. But what if she really has to fight for things like that on a daily basis, and at the same time watches BB come into the show and getting "everything".

So, what is going on in Stargate land? I, for one, am loosing my respect for the showrunners and I am disappointed that nobody is taking a stand for the three actors who "are" Stargate.

I am sorry, I didn't mean to be so negative, really, I just hope that Amanda is still as happy with her life as she was at the Burbank convention in '04...
                        Last edited by Dani76; 19 October 2005, 11:16 AM.

Thank you, Skydiver

Comment

Drive by...!

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                          ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

OK ... one more!

CAPTIONARY!

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                            ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
                              OK ... one more!

CAPTIONARY!

Sam: "Havent you ever heard of deodorant?"
                              love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
                                Sam: "When they sold me this outfit they didnt say anything about being treated like this"

Sam: "I take it back - I like guys with long hair, I do, really"
                                love Torri

Comment

Working...
                                X