Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ann_sgcfan
    Here is an OT topic of sorts... Does anyone have anymore Sam centered stories that they can recommend? If it just happens to be a slight Jack/Sam ship story that's okay too. Or just a Sam whumping (sp?) would be good.

Thanks!
    Did someone ask for Sam whumping????!!!!

Go here for a long list of Sam whumping stories:
    http://www.gyrfalcon.net/vikingchick/whumping.htm

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia

GREAT!! Thanks Strix varia!!

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
        Well I'm a die-hard, but hopefully not virulent or scary anti-shipper--and major Sam fan. I just don't like introducing the whole pairing off of lead characters. It would be so much more refreshing to me to see them have a bond without any romantic mess. And I don't see them as a really good pair in the long run. (ducks)
        Ya know, Jckfan, I completely agree with you from a pragmatic point of view. In the long run, and in reality, you're absolutely right.

I suppose the reason I'm inclined towards the 'shipper' bent is because, in my drama/fiction/escapism sessions (whether that be television or a good book), I'm a sucker for a little romance thrown into the action/adventure/fantasy mix. I know it wouldn't be realistic or even particularily prudent if it were actually to define a plausible reality, but for me fiction isn't about re-defining plausible reality. It's about storytelling; watching something evolve from a fanciful 'what-if' scenario. Admittedly, I'm a bit of a pushover for Sam/Jack in the Stargate universe. But I do like my storytelling to be believeable as well, don't get me wrong. That's why I also agree with folks like skydiver in the sense that having some sort of torrid on-screen romance would almost surely end up drowning in an ocean of cliches (especially given the current writing team). But on the flip side of the coin, a story whose focus never deviates from reality, doesn't give me the kind of departure I personally look for in most of the fiction I choose to read or watch (hence I have a particular fondness for science fiction, fantasy and spy stories). It's very definitely a personal preference. Call me a pop junkie. For me to like a pairing, I have to buy into the individual strength of each character, first and foremost. Romance for the sake of romance is cringe-worthy for me, so it doesn't happen all the time that I'll watch a television series and think "Hey, those two ought to hook up!". But when it does happen for me (as with Sam/Jack on SG-1), I'm a total sucker for chasing that plot-van all the way down the next side-street and around the corner. For me, exploring those feelings thereafter becomes intrinsic to who I feel the characters have developed into. I'm curious to see where it might end up, within the context of the greater storyline. And I like the fact that (if it is written well), it can really add sparkle to the interactions between all of the characters. If it's written well, which is rare, to say the least.

mini

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
        ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia

Any of those have S/J(ack) ship in them? I love a really good Sam whump, but I want some goo as well, at the end of it all. I'm in a pathetic mood tonight {sigh}

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
          ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

CRAZEDTURKEY! Here's to you!!

Thank you, Skydiver

Comment

Thank ye all kindly. My glory needyness is feeling much satisfied

Hey jckfan in many ways I'm with you too... in my head, J/s would never make a longterm pairing, just because I don't think they really have enough in common (which may be in part due to the fact that I am newly 24, and therefore missed the whole McGyver droolfest thang ). But unresolved sexual tension always irritates me, and I just want to see it resolved! Especially as others have said it's been such an integral plotline for so long.
              I never wanted to see the wedding on the ramp, or J/S at home, just some acknowledgement that it was "on" so to speak.

Not to mention the fact that my family are getting really sick of me pulling my hair out and screaming "JUST SHAG HIM" at the television every time there is a J/S interaction...

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                Wow...we've had a lot of ducking lately...

Dancer of Spaz yesterday, jckfan55 and Skydiver today...

Perhaps we should make the DUCK the Royal Bird of Samanda.

I'm game.

Wow... unintentionally lame joke... Feel free to bring on the rotten tomatoes.

Comment

Originally Posted by jckfan55
                  Well I'm a die-hard, but hopefully not virulent or scary anti-shipper--and major Sam fan. I just don't like introducing the whole pairing off of lead characters. It would be so much more refreshing to me to see them have a bond without any romantic mess. And I don't see them as a really good pair in the long run. (ducks)
                  Exactly my thoughts, except that I don't define myself as an anti-shipper but a non-shipper.
                  jckfan55, I'm going to follow you and duck (it's an epidemic ).
                  majorsal, I don't want to break your heart so be careful if you want to read my post.
                  In my opinion, Divide and Conquer killed the wonderful friendly/flirty interaction Jack and Sam had in the first seasons. I really miss this dynamic between them. It was fun, it was refreshing and we could all enjoy it. But then became the ANGST I'm not against a little angst thrown into the story, but angsty relationship lasting for four years before they decided to do some resolve around the issue was unbelievable for me.
                  After Divide and Conquer all interactions between Sam and Jack were branded with the "OMG Jack and Sam have feelings for each other but they can't act because of the darn regulations ! OMG !" factor. They decided to go this road, fine. I don't care whether Sam is involved with Jack or another guy, but I do care that she's happy and has a fulfilling life. So it hurt because they clearly depicted Sam as not being happy with a part of her life when we couldn't see a lot from Jack because you know, he's so repressed when it comes to showing emotions. If Jack had been a little more open about his feelings, maybe we wouldn't have so much Sam haters blaming her of stalking. But I digress.
                  I can live with ship on the show, it's not my main interest, but if it's well done why not ? One of the problems I have with this whole thing is that we clearly saw Sam dealing with her feelings, take decisions, pondering what her life was going to be, but we didn't see so much from Jack. But you know, he's a tough guy and guys don't deal with romance and love, only girls do that. I agree that this story arc was important in Sam development, but this particular story arc wasn't just about Sam, it was also about Jack. I would have loved to have an episode where it's Jack who's dealing with the situation and not Sam. It's just a matter of balance. For example, we had Chimera to introduce Pete, why didn't we get an episode to introduce Kerry ? I have yet to understand how Jack gets from confessing that he'd like two Carters in Gemini to spending the weekend in his cabin with Kerry.
                  That's the problem with the writers. They want to do subtle so the fans can take what they like best, but in this case, they only succeded in frustrating the fans. The shippers are longing for some action and the non shippers are cringing because of the awkward moments. They're not showing a lot of respect for their audience if they think we're not able to act like adults and get past a disappointment because they favour one of the possibilities. We all have to make choices in life, avoiding them is what will kill the show.
                  So, I agree with what Über said in a previous post. They have to show or tell us something specific. Sam's "Not exactly" in Ex Deus Machina is not enough because we can understand what we want with that. It's not specific enough. Fans are going to battle and be unhappy until they decide to act.
                  Sorry for the long post. I'd guess that if I had only one thing to tell TPTB it would be : act as adults and consider the fans as adults and not five year olds. If only it could free us of the childish fans of the Dark Place of Negativity, I'd be more than happy.
                  Kingdom of Samanda : Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

Happy Birthday Crazedturkey !

Kingdom of Samanda : Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

Originally posted by SunKrux
                      Yeah well, "acquire" Gilmore Girls then. There are hottie gals and guys on that thar show. But LUKE is mine! LOL
                      I have begun the process just have to wait now
                      Originally posted by crazedturkey
                      P.S It's my birthday today! Just thought I'd share cos I'm such a glory-hog
                      gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                      so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                      love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                        Well that's better than the alternative...getting older and WIDER.
                        Careful, careful ... there are Royal Hens about who are much more sensitive to this issue!!

"Royal Bird of Samanda"

Jester

Comment

Originally posted by Lys
                          Exactly my thoughts, except that I don't define myself as an anti-shipper but a non-shipper.
                          jckfan55, I'm going to follow you and duck (it's an epidemic ).
                          majorsal, I don't want to break your heart so be careful if you want to read my post.
                          In my opinion, Divide and Conquer killed the wonderful friendly/flirty interaction Jack and Sam had in the first seasons. I really miss this dynamic between them. It was fun, it was refreshing and we could all enjoy it. But then became the ANGST I'm not against a little angst thrown into the story, but angsty relationship lasting for four years before they decided to do some resolve around the issue was unbelievable for me.
                          After Divide and Conquer all interactions between Sam and Jack were branded with the "OMG Jack and Sam have feelings for each other but they can't act because of the darn regulations ! OMG !" factor. They decided to go this road, fine. I don't care whether Sam is involved with Jack or another guy, but I do care that she's happy and has a fulfilling life. So it hurt because they clearly depicted Sam as not being happy with a part of her life when we couldn't see a lot from Jack because you know, he's so repressed when it comes to showing emotions. If Jack had been a little more open about his feelings, maybe we wouldn't have so much Sam haters blaming her of stalking. But I digress.
                          I can live with ship on the show, it's not my main interest, but if it's well done why not ? One of the problems I have with this whole thing is that we clearly saw Sam dealing with her feelings, take decisions, pondering what her life was going to be, but we didn't see so much from Jack. But you know, he's a tough guy and guys don't deal with romance and love, only girls do that. I agree that this story arc was important in Sam development, but this particular story arc wasn't just about Sam, it was also about Jack. I would have loved to have an episode where it's Jack who's dealing with the situation and not Sam. It's just a matter of balance. For example, we had Chimera to introduce Pete, why didn't we get an episode to introduce Kerry ? I have yet to understand how Jack gets from confessing that he'd like two Carters in Gemini to spending the weekend in his cabin with Kerry.
                          That's the problem with the writers. They want to do subtle so the fans can take what they like best, but in this case, they only succeded in frustrating the fans. The shippers are longing for some action and the non shippers are cringing because of the awkward moments. They're not showing a lot of respect for their audience if they think we're not able to act like adults and get past a disappointment because they favour one of the possibilities. We all have to make choices in life, avoiding them is what will kill the show.
                          So, I agree with what Über said in a previous post. They have to show or tell us something specific. Sam's "Not exactly" in Ex Deus Machina is not enough because we can understand what we want with that. It's not specific enough. Fans are going to battle and be unhappy until they decide to act.
                          Sorry for the long post. I'd guess that if I had only one thing to tell TPTB it would be : act as adults and consider the fans as adults and not five year olds. If only it could free us of the childish fans of the Dark Place of Negativity, I'd be more than happy.
                          The "unbelievability" -- good choice of words. A little unambiguous resolution would go a long way. Or would have, in earlier seasons.

On that believability note - As the team started to push the time boundaries that any military organization would have allowed them to stay together as a unit… (What is it 2 years or so?) believability got strained. As the characters began to grow older and accumulate more injuries and the normal side effects of aging-- more strain to believability… And as the characters grew older in relation to becoming more wise and seeing how fragile life and relationships were in the context of the dangerous missions they were going on and life in general (i.e. their impending mortality) – why would they angst on and not come to some kind of acknowledged understanding concerning the path their ship would take? (Now I can give several reasons why I think the TPTB would/did what they did, but won’t go into that here…)

Yep. I agree with you. In trying to be subtle enough on some issues to please all segments of fandom, it does seem like a disservice has been done to many (the fans, the story, the characters, sometimes the actors). Maybe it’s because TPTB seem to be all tied up in their themes? It was either Joe in his blog or PDL in the GW interview that talked about the focus being more on themes. Cool. Fine. But who’s looking out for the story continuity? The “Hello?!” factor? The character continuity? Filling in the blanks can be fine. Fun even. But when it creates such dichotomous “fill-ins” amongst fans, especially on something that can be really ‘in your face’ like ship, then something seems wrong.

As you were saying and as has been said in various threads on various topics around the forum… TPTB do need to take a stand, keep their chin up, and roll with any punches that come their way. As a fan I might not like the stance they’d take on it, but as a person I’d surely respect that they had the balls (and we are talking about 100% all male staff there y’know… ) to stand up for their vision and run with it.

Just some thoughts this fine Saturday morning.... (after a full week of low clouds, mist and drizzle...
                          Last edited by ShimmeringStar; 15 October 2005, 04:15 AM.
                          Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
                          My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                            yeah, she talks about how she can trip over thin air
                            Is that clumsily graceful or gracefully clumsy?

(Either way I can identify!)
                            Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
                            My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

Happy Birthday Two Ewes
                              Happy Birthday Two Ewes
                              Happy Birthday crazedturkey
                              Happy Birthday Two Ewes!

Comment

Originally posted by ShimmeringStar
                                The "unbelievability" -- good choice of words. A little unambiguous resolution would go a long way. Or would have, in earlier seasons.

On that believability note - As the team started to push the time boundaries that any military organization would have allowed them to stay together as a unit… (What is it 2 years or so?) believability got strained. As the characters began to grow older and accumulate more injuries and the normal side effects of again -- more strain to believability… And as the characters grew older in relation to becoming more wise and seeing how fragile life and relationships were in the context of the dangerous missions they were going on and life in general (i.e. their impending mortality) – why would they angst on and not come to some kind of acknowledged understanding concerning the path their ship would take? (Now I can give several reasons why I think the TPTB would/did what they did, but won’t go into that here…)

Yep. I agree with you. In trying to be subtle enough on some issues to please all segments of fandom, it does seem like a disservice has been done to many (the fans, the story, the characters, sometimes the actors). Maybe it’s because TPTB seem to be all tied up in their themes? It was either Joe in his blog or PDL in the GW interview that talked about the focus being more on themes. Cool. Fine. But who’s looking out for the story continuity? The “Hello?!” factor? The character continuity? Filling in the blanks can be fine. Fun even. But when it creates such dichotomous “fill-ins” amongst fans, especially on something that can be really ‘in your face’ like ship, then something seems wrong.

As you were saying and as has been said in various threads on various topics around the forum… TPTB do need to take a stand, keep their chin up, and roll with any punches that come their way. As a fan I might not like the stance they’d take on it, but as a person I’d surely respect that they had the balls (and we are talking about 100% all male staff there y’know… ) to stand up for their vision and run with it.

Just some thoughts this fine Saturday morning.... (after a full week of low clouds, mist and drizzle...
                                And what fine thoughts they are! A fair and reasoned critique. And just waiting for the sun to arrive on my doorstep too ... I've run out of umbrellas!

PS I vote for "gracefully clumsy" ... although that is definitely a contradiction in terms!

Comment

Working...
                                X