Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Coley
    I think it was Tsaxlady (who is fantastic at posting info stuff about AT) posted a response from AT about the question of Sam being sexed up.

Vala isn't the first time I have been upset at the overt sex in Stargate in the last couple of seasons. You all know my view on Sams new wardrobe from season 7 (nothing wrong with it, but to me it wasn't Sam, so why change her - and I know I'm in the minority here on that opinion). Certainly her cleavage and tight fitting sexy numbers are in evidence quite a lot these days, whereas after Emancipation and the Brocca Divide it was mostly no cleavage and normal cloths season 1 to 6. If the Goau'ld has a female host it seems a pre requisite that they have to wear skimpy outfits, so Vala was just the last straw.
    Thanks Coley - I have just been very fortunate to see AT three different times and get my hands on a number of interviews she has done the last few years.

On the wardrobe issue - I have not had a huge issue with any of the main casts wardrobe the last couple of years mainly because I don't see it as a real overt sexualization of the characters. Having been on the Bridge Studio set and knowing how hot it was on the set without full lights running I can understand the actors themselves liking the tank tops. In fact Chris Judge talked about that at one con and how if they gave him a choice he would only wear the jacket when they are outside in the colder months. Both the main SG-1 set at Bridge Studios and the NORCO set were they do a lot of filming are old factories. Bridge Studios was once used for building Bridges and the NORCO set was a Bicycle factory. They both have poor ventilation and when you add lights for filming it gets very hot on these sets. I can speak from experience with a couple of times on movie sets and one TV set as an extra, how hot it gets under the lights - the last movie set I was on I ended up next to one of the leads for a couple of scenes and it was cold outside in the barn we were filming in but when I got moved next to him and was under the lights for half the night filming he and I got so hot in the clothes we had to wear at one point the director called for a break in filming so we could both go get something to drink and cool down. After 6 years of filming if I was an actor on Stargate and I had the chance to wear clothes that were more comfortable to film in I would jump at the chance. Some of the off duty clothes AT has worn the last few years have been her personal clothes and not ones the costume crew has picked out for her, for example the Chimera dress that so many people disliked - that was a dress AT had warren to a awards show.

Having said all this I have not been crazy about some of the outfits costume has come up with for some of the secondary characters on the show. For example some of Vala's outfits have been to much for me.

Okay that is just my 2cents worth.
    My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

You all know my view on Sams new wardrobe from season 7 (nothing wrong with it, but to me it wasn't Sam, so why change her - and I know I'm in the minority here on that opinion). Certainly her cleavage and tight fitting sexy numbers are in evidence quite a lot these days, whereas after Emancipation and the Brocca Divide it was mostly no cleavage and normal clothes season 1 to 6.
      Cleavage? Have I missed some episodes? Aside from Chimaera (which deserves a damnatio memoriae for various reasons), Sam's outfits haven't been screaming "Sex!" to me. The outfit from "Endgame" was weird, but I didn't find it all that sexy. To what else are you referring?

Comment

There is no videoing allowed sadly!!
        Aren't there digital cameras that do stills and video now? Do they force you to surrender your camera for inspection (assuming they recognize the difference)?

Comment

Hey hows it going this is my first time to this Thread and

Sam would be hot in a Parka and a big puffy hat
          Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
            So be it, jerin has been appointed as Royal Pet Groomer/Dog Walker. This will certainly offer the Queen more time with the little Princess.
            Congrats jerin!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffer
              Parka
              ??????
              gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
              so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
              love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by Qasim
                ??????
                a really big coat
                Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                  Can you tell I'm distressed over that "unrequited" comment??? I think Amanda's sick of Sam being perceived as weak because so much of her personal life was shown. Well, here are my thoughts about Sam and Season 10 and how an honest to goodness ship reference or two can only STRENGTHEN Sam.

IMHO, showing real acknowledgement of ship next season can do nothing but help Sam's character because it would validate what she went through at the end of last season...i.e., she didn't go through all that for nothing.

It would also show that ship is not all in Sam's mind...thus ending the "was she stalking Jack in Threads" debate.

It would show her life as having more dimension and balance because she's fulfilled professionally and personally.

So they don't have to scream it from the rooftops or have an episode focused on it FCOL...but a few references sprinkled about the season so that while Sam's clearly focused and kicking butt, she also has something to look forward to at home. A few phone calls, lunch invites, drop by visits from Jack where he's affectionate to Sam on screen...or heck...even a combination of these things and a ring that just shows up on her finger at the end of next season.

Additionally it'll end the debate that no longer needs to exist. Jack isn't around and therefore her work isn't in anyway hampered by her personal life.

See? This would only make Sam look better in the long run because it shows...once again...that Sam wasn't delusional and validates the struggle she went through in Threads et al.
                  Well said. As I may have mentioned before, I'm an anti-shipper, but you make a good case for dealing with the situation once and for all. But I fear nothing will satisfy the slavering pitbulls of anti-Samdom.

Comment

Originally posted by SunKrux
                    That's the beauty of fandom, we don't all see things the same way. I see some of the sex, but as I've said before, I think Vala is using it as a defense shield (so to speak) to cover the pain she's been through. I think should she come back, the sexed up Vala will be toned down some, but I seriously doubt she'll loose that "kid who says what everyone else is thinking" aspect of her personality. LOL But that's just mho.
                    I would agree that the sex fiend aspect is probably a defense mechanism for V. and some of her comments are funny. I just think the writers missed the boat by not exploring it more. If you're going to have a character for *several* episodes, for gosh sakes, you should do more than write one liners. I suspect Vala would let her guard done around Sam and they could work together well. there was a glimmer of mutual respect in that one episode, but the opportunity was lost to do more. Of course for all we know, there was a scene with the two of them that was lost on the cutting room floor, just like the important scene in Ascension was.

Speaking of which, I nominate either Ascension or Foothold for our next Sam episode viewing. What say Samandans?

Oh, and I also was appalled by PDL's comments. Sexy outfit so who cares what she says? He was probably trying to be funny--but for me "trying" is a description of his "humor" most of the time. (ducks) Supporting cast? RDA was a name, so yes, they were going to put him above the title. But in practice it was really an ensemble show.

Comment

Originally posted by SamFan31
                      yep!

sally
                      sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
                        but for me "trying" is a description of his "humor" most of the time. (ducks)
                        and ordinarilly i would be throwing rotten fruit at you (but not really), but not today! supporting cast, my bum deluise! that comment is a crime worse than "affinity" (but not really). and sally if you're reading this, no i don't remember that episode either! hhhmm. as i recall there were only 19 episodes last season.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffer
                          Sam would be hot in a Parka and a big puffy hat
                          Haha, right on

Comment

Originally posted by crazedturkey
                            I love AT when she does thatdrugged out look! So many episodes, but the one I remember particularly is Divide and Conquer. She's just so good at it!
                            what i liked about how amanda played that scene in 'life boat' was that she not only looked like she just woke up, but looked like she had a major headache of headaches. i'm not even sure if she spoke, but i remember her facial expressions and her quietness... it impressed me. it was like, 'argh, i can't talk or move my head because it's going to fall off!'

leave it to amanda!

sally
                            sally

sigpic

Comment

So be it, jerin has been appointed as Royal Pet Groomer/Dog Walker. This will certainly offer the Queen more time with the little Princess.
                              All hail the newest addition to the Queen's Court!
                              If you haven't had a chance to read or listen to the GW Interview with Peter DeLuise, let me flash forward to three excerpts which caught my attention:

(Speaking about the new cast members):

PDL "And, of course, Claudia can do no wrong in my eyes. We've got her in this hot little tightly-cut dress. It doesn't even matter what she's saying. She's just perfect."

GW "...with the changes on both shows this year, what do you think that fans have to look forward to the most in the upcoming season for both shows?"

PDL "More in-depth information about each individual character ... It's not just The Ben Browder Show now. It's more about the qualities of the supporting cast, I think."

(Regarding Atlantis' first season (coinciding with SG1's S8):

PDL "... the first year they were going to get cut off, establish a reason for watching the show. Because otherwise they would be dialing up and saying, 'could you send SG-1? We've got another problem! Any problem worth having would've been worth getting SG-1 to come and solve it, or Carter at least to fix it'."

I've added the red to lines which seem to give us further insight into TPTB's states of mind (or mindlessness depending on how you interpret the statements). I think the Claudia Black remark speaks for itself ... they wanted sex and the single siren, and they got it! As to "It's not just The Ben Browder Show", I never knew it was!
                              Spoiler:
                              And as to marooning Atlantis in their first season so the cast/arcs became established, well I can buy most of that ... except that calling Carter to fix things might have been a good cross-over. She would have been looking professional and competent. Now when she does get over to Atlantis in S2, it will be to sex-up Rodney's isolation and appear as a dream in a submarine ... just lovely, Rodney's "wet dream"! I want to see Rodney and Sam together again because it's a lot like Felger and Sam and could be quite funny and snarky. But I'm not totally sold on this weak plot device. Even if she "saves him" in the submarine, she's not there ... just a figment of his imagination and we certainly know he has a thing for "sexy ... blondes". Back to woman as object. I want Carter to be used as a real hero, capable of flying to Atlantis and helping her comrades there. If they are building more Daedalus-like ships, let's give Sam full command of one!

Okay, rant over ... descending from soapbox.
                              Ok.....now, I'm totally disgusted!

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                                Can you tell I'm distressed over that "unrequited" comment??? I think Amanda's sick of Sam being perceived as weak because so much of her personal life was shown. Well, here are my thoughts about Sam and Season 10 and how an honest to goodness ship reference or two can only STRENGTHEN Sam.

IMHO, showing real acknowledgement of ship next season can do nothing but help Sam's character because it would validate what she went through at the end of last season...i.e., she didn't go through all that for nothing.

It would also show that ship is not all in Sam's mind...thus ending the "was she stalking Jack in Threads" debate.

It would show her life as having more dimension and balance because she's fulfilled professionally and personally.

So they don't have to scream it from the rooftops or have an episode focused on it FCOL...but a few references sprinkled about the season so that while Sam's clearly focused and kicking butt, she also has something to look forward to at home. A few phone calls, lunch invites, drop by visits from Jack where he's affectionate to Sam on screen...or heck...even a combination of these things and a ring that just shows up on her finger at the end of next season.

Additionally it'll end the debate that no longer needs to exist. Jack isn't around and therefore her work isn't in anyway hampered by her personal life.

See? This would only make Sam look better in the long run because it shows...once again...that Sam wasn't delusional and validates the struggle she went through in Threads et al.
                                I think you made a good point, Über. . I definitely agree with your vision on how this could only strengthen Sam's character.
                                In the Kingdom of Hope, there is no Winter

Life is too short for drama & petty things,
                                so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly & forgive quickly!

Attendee of Shore Leave28, AT2 and AVALON
                                Proud Member of the Sam is a Great Character Thread
                                Hic Comitas Regit
                                Member of the Ship, Ship Hooray Special Ops Team
                                Member of Gategrrlz Gone Wild (proud Shore Leave 28 attendee).

Comment

Working...
                                X