Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Coley
    Oi! 1speed What are you doing posting unnaproved photo's of my gnarly hand and uncovered legs?? We don't want to scare potential Samandan's away!!Good job Hugo is in the frame looking his usual handsome self
    Puppy! You're so cute! Yes, you are! Who's the cutest! Oh, sorry! Got carried away with the beautiful dog there. I take my job very seriously.
    Originally posted by SunKrux
    Thanks ChopinGal! Red is one of my fav colors.
    Red is my fav. color. One of my nicknames is Red cuz I were it so much!

Goa'uld queen in possession of Daniel, Jonas and Martouf clones
    Lovely signature courtesy of Admiral Q O and Skydiver.

Comment

I've just skimmed through a few pages and there have been some really good comments from everyone about Vala.

Simhavaktra, Sky, Jerin, Chopingal you all make some excellent points.

I'm afarid I still think they should have made her a better character from the start. A bit pathetic having to change a character if they want to make her more regular. IMO

They missed a trick. Despite me not quite formulating an opinion on CB's acting (I have only seen 4 eps) I think she has great presence, not often found. And her looks are very striking. I still think she could have been a great character without the sex thing. Funny, snarky, witty and strong, intelligent and a bit more wordly wise than Sam. They could make a great pair. But 2 strong actors would totally take over the show - and I think overshadow BB!! Skiffy would never allow that!!

One point I have from a post a while back.

I think it was Tsaxlady (who is fantastic at posting info stuff about AT) posted a response from AT about the question of Sam being sexed up.

What struck me is what AT chose to say about this and what she (to me) obviously ommitted. She turned the question round into being about her relationship with Pete - (wheras I thought it was aimed possibly more at her clothing and general demeanour), Which she said she didn't mind. She aslo made reference that the writers would never weaken Sam - as they wouldn't dare. Now call me completely suspicious of Skiffy, but that left me wondering if this was a little message on who isn't sexing Sam up and thus who might be!!!

Vala isn't the first time I have been upset at the overt sex in Stargate in the last couple of seasons. You all know my view on Sams new wardrobe from season 7 (nothing wrong with it, but to me it wasn't Sam, so why change her - and I know I'm in the minority here on that opinion). Certainly her cleavage and tight fitting sexy numbers are in evidence quite a lot these days, whereas after Emancipation and the Brocca Divide it was mostly no cleavage and normal cloths season 1 to 6. If the Goau'ld has a female host it seems a pre requisite that they have to wear skimpy outfits, so Vala was just the last straw.

Thanks to SunKrux, glad you can feel at ease to post up your support for Vala. I think we have a nice range of views about Vala and I know I come in at one extreme end!!

To be honest I may be taking things a little too seriously, I just feel, like Jerin that we should be way past the stage where men like to treat women as sex objects. I wish they would prefer to show us as equals capable of sharing the tough side of life, capable of a great deal of physicality without losing our sexuality. Here's to more kick a$$ Sam in late season 9 - and 10!!

Comment

Oi! 1speed What are you doing posting unnaproved photo's of my gnarly hand and uncovered legs?? We don't want to scare potential Samandan's away!!Good job Hugo is in the frame looking his usual handsome self!!
        Nice legs, Coley. Very nice indeed.

Nice dog, too.

My LJ

Comment

ForeverSG1 You're on line - hope you are okay!!

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
            Nice legs, Coley. Very nice indeed.
            So where are the embarassed red faced smilies when you need em!!

Comment

To be honest I may be taking things a little too seriously, I just feel, like Jerin that we should be way past the stage where men like to treat women as sex objects. I wish they would prefer to show us as equals capable of sharing the tough side of life, capable of a great deal of physicality without losing our sexuality. Here's to more kick a$$ Sam in late season 9 - and 10!!
              I don't think you're taking it too seriously. It's an important issue with all kinds of social implications. PDL's comments about CB in the interview pretty much disgusted me. If people like you (and the others who have commented on such things) don't point out the problems, we will lose our awareness and never get around to making things better.

I mean, look at how women were portrayed on the original Star Trek. How far have we come from those horrible, sexed-up mini-skirts and half-naked alien sex-goddesses? Well, we have Sam and Weir... and then we also have Anise and Vala. At least Anise and Vala are both portrayed as having decent brains, but it doesn't hurt to point out that they're still sexed up for the boys. Bah-humbug.

On edit: Says the lesbian who was happily oggling your legs.... <embarrassed smile>

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by jerin
                Puppy! You're so cute! Yes, you are! Who's the cutest! Oh, sorry! Got carried away with the beautiful dog there.
                ROFLOL. I thought the same thing when I saw the puppy. Hugo I think was his name!! He is really really cute!!!

Coley,
                Here are those smiles you wanted. Hehe.

Comment

I don't think you're taking it too seriously. It's an important issue with all kinds of social implications. PDL's comments about CB in the interview pretty much disgusted me. If people like you (and the others who have commented on such things) don't point out the problems, we will lose our awareness and never get around to making things better.

I mean, look at how women were portrayed on the original Star Trek. How far have we come from those horrible, sexed-up mini-skirts and half-naked alien sex-goddesses? Well, we have Sam and Weir... and then we also have Anise and Vala. At least Anise and Vala are both portrayed as having decent brains, but it doesn't hurt to point out that they're still sexed up for the boys. Bah-humbug.

On edit: Says the lesbian who was happily oggling your legs.... <embarrassed smile>
                  Errr how come you can sum up so well my insane ramblings over countless posts into a couple of paragraphs??

On the edit - 1speed has very gleefully emailed me a threat to post another shot of my pins. I won't publicly post my threat back, suffice to say I think Samanda is safe for the time being!!

Comment

Thanks for all the sweet comments about my pooch. I love him to bits as the long suffering 1speed knows all too well!!

Comment

Right the wonderful ChopinGal has made a list of questions from you all to AT.

I think we may be drawing short straws as to who will pose Uber's if given the chance!!

So from me if anyone this side of the pond wants anything from legends - within reason of course - let me know and I can post stuff to you. I hope to be taking my zoom lends for my Nikon camera, so may get some decent shots that we will try and post. There is no videoing allowed sadly!!

Comment

Oh the above post is about GABIT of course!!

Comment

Originally posted by PDL, apparently?
                          "It's not just The Ben Browder Show now. It's more about the qualities of the supporting cast, I think."
                          this is the first time i can recall ever being so unimpressed and disappointed with PDL. did he really say this, and if so did it sound as insulting when spoken as it does written?

"the supporting cast"!?!?!?!? excuse me!?! does he mean the supporting cast that have until now been considered the ensemble lead cast? until now i had faith that they didn't just hire a new guy who had a cult following, and just insert him as "the lead" with a supporting cast. i never considered AT, CJ and MS supporting cast even when RDA was there full time. even when i saw avalon 1, and saw BB's name come up first on the credits, i still thought they were an ensemble cast, and was pretty bothered that the new addition got top billing, but now i am P!$$€D OFF! BB must have one hell of an agent!

[/rant]

Comment

You know, I'm not a shipper, but you've really got an excellent point with this.
                            Thanks Strix...and I think you've made a great point with this.

They went down the path of telling the story so that one walked away with the impression they cared for each other and wanted more. And since they did, they need to follow through with it for the sake of the Carter character and validate her struggles.

At this point with Jack not around and no longer her CO, the argument of whether or not they belong together or whether or not she and Jack have feelings for each other or is there chemistry between them is completely moot. So shipper, non-shipper anti shipper...whatever...none of that matters anymore. It's now about how they need to be true to the character and what she experienced and what they spent so much time on last season.

Just acknowledge it and put and end to this part of the debate...which I think they want to but ignoring it actually makes her look worse. Have an on screen acknowledgement now and then...and I don't mean beat us over the head with it but some subtle nods to say yes, she went through these things and this is who she is now...that way the emotional struggles and conflicts she endured will not have been in vain.

Something on screen in this regard can only strengthen Carter overall as being a rounded out person who isn't all about her work and isn't all about her personal life...she'd be balanced.

My big fear is that they're going to swing the pendulum too far the other way and completely ignore what she went through. But this would make her as unbalanced as only showing her personal side and actually would be a poor attempt to try to turn back the clock to the early seasons where we didn't know as much about her or relate as much to her...she'd just be the superhero brainiac who saves the day...and like I said would be an unbalanced portrayal of Carter because the can of worms was opened and they can't shove them back in. Just deal with it PTB...it is what it is. And to ignore it would be wholly unfair to her character and to her fans who went through it with her.

I want to see the Carter who went through it all and is still standing. I love seeing Kickbutt!Sam and Scientist!Sam...but I want to see that she didn't go though all of that emotional turmoil in vain and a few acknowledgements sprinkled about next season would be completely appropriate and again would validate what she endured. And frankly, I think we as her fans are due that respect since they chose to highlight this aspect of her personna.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by stargate barbie
                              this is the first time i can recall ever being so unimpressed and disappointed with PDL. did he really say this, and if so did it sound as insulting when spoken as it does written?

"the supporting cast"!?!?!?!? excuse me!?! does he mean the supporting cast that have until now been considered the ensemble lead cast? until now i had faith that they didn't just hire a new guy who had a cult following, and just insert him as "the lead" with a supporting cast. i never considered AT, CJ and MS supporting cast even when RDA was there full time. even when i saw avalon 1, and saw BB's name come up first on the credits, i still thought they were an ensemble cast, and was pretty bothered that the new addition got top billing, but now i am P!$$€D OFF! BB must have one hell of an agent!

[/rant]
                              Ha - great post! Or maybe BB has some serious fans within skiffy!!

Comment

Originally posted by stargate barbie

[/rant]
                                THANK YOU!!! My thoughts exactly, but I was still hoping that I was reading it the wrong way.

What is going on in "Stargate world"? If he is really saying what I think he is saying then I am more than disappointed, I am P!$$ED OFF as well.
                                How can they treat their actors this way. Amanda and Chris have been there the whole time, and Michael almost as well. They are the ones why we are still tuning in. THEY ARE SG-1, not BB. Don't get me wrong, nothing against BB, lucky him if this was really his agent. But he is still integrating into the whole show. There are still many fans out there, who do not see him as part of the team as of yet, much less the leading actor.
                                For actors who have been as committed and as loyal as these three have been for 9 years, this is such a disrespectful treatment, I still cannot believe it.
                                As happy as I am that we are having a 9th season, and as much as I am hoping that there will be a 10th one as well, this is too much to take for me today.
                                Please, someone tell me, that I am reading it the wrong way.

Thank you, Skydiver

Comment

Working...
                                X