Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
    Can you tell I'm distressed over that "unrequited" comment??? I think Amanda's sick of Sam being perceived as weak because so much of her personal life was shown. Well, here are my thoughts about Sam and Season 10 and how an honest to goodness ship reference or two can only STRENGTHEN Sam.

IMHO, showing real acknowledgement of ship next season can do nothing but help Sam's character because it would validate what she went through at the end of last season...i.e., she didn't go through all that for nothing.

It would also show that ship is not all in Sam's mind...thus ending the "was she stalking Jack in Threads" debate.

It would show her life as having more dimension and balance because she's fulfilled professionally and personally.

So they don't have to scream it from the rooftops or have an episode focused on it FCOL...but a few references sprinkled about the season so that while Sam's clearly focused and kicking butt, she also has something to look forward to at home. A few phone calls, lunch invites, drop by visits from Jack where he's affectionate to Sam on screen...or heck...even a combination of these things and a ring that just shows up on her finger at the end of next season.

Additionally it'll end the debate that no longer needs to exist. Jack isn't around and therefore her work isn't in anyway hampered by her personal life.

See? This would only make Sam look better in the long run because it shows...once again...that Sam wasn't delusional and validates the struggle she went through in Threads et al.

I completely understand your take on this one. IMO, however, those particular small minority of fans who THINK Sam is delusional will continue to think she is delusional, no matter how TPTB writes it. If Sam and Jack undeniably get together in season 10, Sam will be even more crucified by this same set of fans. It just doesn't matter how Sam is written and it will never matter to them. Oh, they may change their adjectives and nouns about her, say from piney, pathetic, stalker to disgraceful, pathetic, unprofessional twit, but it will still be all negative. Even if Jack is crystal clear that he loves her and wants to be with her, she'll still be despised. Politics. Politics.

to me in Threads it was very clear that Jack has a love for Sam (Kerry's words to Jack are very clear). When and how they will act on it -- who knows at this point. I would have thought after this episode that those fans who think Sam is delusional would have changed their tune---of course they didn't. Kerry is referring to Daniel, don't you know!
    Last edited by chocdoc; 12 October 2005, 08:36 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by ÜberSG-1Fan:
      Can you tell I'm distressed over that "unrequited" comment??? I think Amanda's sick of Sam being perceived as weak because so much of her personal life was shown.
      Originally Posted by chocdoc: I completely understand your take on this one.
      Originally Posted by Simhavaktra:The first thing that pops into my mind is
      !!!GACK!!!
      I so agree with all the above. Well said by all: may your words fly like beestings into the stalled imaginations of TPTB. I fall into bed perchance to dream of...better for Sam (and Vala and Weir and Teyla...)

Just sayin'.
      MISSION: STARGATE REWATCH 2011-2012 ENGAGED DONE!
      sigpic
      Beware Helen Magnus - Doctor of A$$-Kicking

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc
        I completely understand your take on this one. IMO, however, those particular small minority of fans who THINK Sam is delusional will continue to think she is delusional, no matter how TPTB writes it. If Sam and Jack undeniably get together in season 10, Sam will be even more crucified by this same set of fans. It just doesn't matter how Sam is written and it will never matter to them. Oh, they may change their adjectives and nouns about her, say from piney, pathetic, stalker to disgraceful, pathetic, unprofessional twit, but it will still be all negative. Even if Jack is crystal clear that he loves her and wants to be with her, she'll still be despised. Politics. Politics.
        I agree...I've seen some posts that would make your heads explode. Literally.

That being said...not even factoring in those people's reactions...for the sake of the character, and the continuity they started who knows how far back...it still would only strengthen her character for this to be a non-issue anymore. Not because it's not discussed, but because it's been canonly resolved.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Can you tell I'm distressed over that "unrequited" comment??? I think Amanda's sick of Sam being perceived as weak because so much of her personal life was shown. Well, here are my thoughts about Sam and Season 10 and how an honest to goodness ship reference or two can only STRENGTHEN Sam.

IMHO, showing real acknowledgement of ship next season can do nothing but help Sam's character because it would validate what she went through at the end of last season...i.e., she didn't go through all that for nothing.

It would also show that ship is not all in Sam's mind...thus ending the "was she stalking Jack in Threads" debate.

It would show her life as having more dimension and balance because she's fulfilled professionally and personally.

So they don't have to scream it from the rooftops or have an episode focused on it FCOL...but a few references sprinkled about the season so that while Sam's clearly focused and kicking butt, she also has something to look forward to at home. A few phone calls, lunch invites, drop by visits from Jack where he's affectionate to Sam on screen...or heck...even a combination of these things and a ring that just shows up on her finger at the end of next season.

Additionally it'll end the debate that no longer needs to exist. Jack isn't around and therefore her work isn't in anyway hampered by her personal life.

See? This would only make Sam look better in the long run because it shows...once again...that Sam wasn't delusional and validates the struggle she went through in Threads et al.
          Hey Uber, your post got me thinking, and I hope ya'all don't mind me rambling.

I think it's interesting that Sam Carter is percieved as "weak" simply because her personal life was explored (obviously not by Samandans, but I hope you take my point). I personally think of all the characters on SG-1, SC has been the most fleshed out personally. We've seen her deal with a strained relationship with her Dad, and seen that resolved, similarly with her brother. We've seen her deal with a difficult situation romantically, and then with the fact that as a woman, she needs to confront the whole Mr. Right and kids vs. career stuff.

By contrast, Daniel has had a lot going on in his personal life since 'Forever in a Day', with a little bit after he came back at the start of season seven. Otherwise, although the character has had a lot of development in the stargate sense, not so much in terms of family. Poor ol' Jack had like what, three girlfriends in eight years? And nothing has really been addressed for him since they dealt with the whole dead son thing in 'Cold Lazarus'.

Teal'c I think would be similar to SC in that he has a very well fleshed out personal life. However, because the issues Teal'c deals with are intrinsically different (his family is already established, and well, he's an alien), they have to be dealt with in a different way.

When you think about it in that sense, Sam is probably the one character that TPTB have actually spent a lot of time trying to develop. Occassionally they've missed the mark (that dreadful proposal in Affinity springs to mind), but for the most part I think they've done a fairly good job of developing a wonderful, capable character who is also a woman, and a realistic woman who is dealing with the some sort of stuff we all have to deal with, with regards to trying to prioritise career and family, and will I have time for kids? Where the hell is Mr. Right? Can I really have it all? Am I going to miss the boat?

Admittedly should Mr. Right ever come along for me, he's probably not going to resemble a young RDA (without the mullet ), and no amount of diet or exercise is going to help me look like Sam, but you get the point. She's a realistic character, and that's why it's so easy to relate.

Because of that I find it sad that a vocal minority who call Sam weak even exist at all. Because I believe what they are doing is criticising her realism. And that in away minimises the similar struggles others also go through. Which is damn stupid. I also believe in a way that not to enjoy the realism takes away from Stargate as a show. I mean we watch it to see things blow up, (and some fine lookin' boys ) sure...but we also watch it because it speaks to us in other ways.

that's my 2c anyways

Comment

Originally posted by Simhavaktra
            The first thing that pops into my mind is

!!!GACK!!!

and wouldn't you know it, GateWorld doesn't offer the ineffable shade of puce that would truly do the sentiment justice.

"Hot little tightly cut dress"? Maybe someone ought to let PDL spend a day working in a leather/boned-and-reinforced-tapestry top as tight as Vala's black leather bustier, or her "Origin" Renn-Faire-esque garb so he can enjoy the experience of being trussed up too tight to breathe deeply, not that it matters, because one's too nervous about making an unplanned exit from the costume to take that deep breath that might provoke the costume to pop, and way too overheated from having too much leather and/or heavy fabric too tightly fitted around one's torso to worry about trivialities, and then it won't no longer matter what he's saying either - everyone will be too busy lookin' at his... personal pulchritude... to notice his actual work, either. My - if it doesn't matter what the actress says while in costume, why bother even hiring one? Just flash the way cool and hotly sexy dress on the screen, or and put it on display on a seamstress' dummy in Daniel's office, why not? Talk about disrespecting a performer!

And then "it's not just the Ben Browder show now"??? Pardonez moi? From what I can tell, PDL was in a group of one if he ever thought it was/seemed to be/ought to be/looked like "The Ben Browder Show." Unless, of course, he was referring to the pre-season publicity onslaught in that quote, whereupon, I might just have to give him that one.

Why should the commander of SG-1 apparently be regarded as 'Miss Fix It' by TPTB - as if there could be no other reason that she might logically go to Atlantis, or nothing else she could do once there. Sam seems to find the entire universe to be a decidedly interesting place, full of phenomena that merit closer study, and an often riveting and fascinating place that demands in-depth investigation. I'll bet that if she were in Atlantis, the rest of the city would darned well be explored by now. And I suspect interesting, Dakara style weaponry would have been developed, too. (Of course, Rodney might have found himself gagged and locked in an out of the way room in the city, one that all the sensors had been mysteriously programmed to ignore, too, by now, but, hey - exploration - and harassing senior military officers - has its dangers. )

I'm experiencing this urge to mail PDL my "Research" Demotivator and my current sig. Grrr.

::goes snarking toward bed::
            You're awesome. Has anyone ever told you that? Simply awesome.

Comment

spoilers for s7/s8/s9

i haven't debated this here because a- i didn't think the non shippers would like it, and b- it's a VERY touchy subject for me because of how upset it makes me that they've regressed this part of sam's life this season (along with her being sg1's sole leader).

if you're a fan of sg1 (the original), then the beginning of the season could be disappointing. sg1 disbanded, but we didn't get to see the way it went down and how it affected everyone. heck, even why.

if you're a fan of jack/rda, you could be disappointed in how he's been pushed aside for the new stuff. no mention of where he really is. no mention of why he left. jack's doing 'something', but that could be cleaning toilets in washington dc.

if you're a fan of sam/amanda, you could be disappointed that sam was missing the first five eps. and you could be disappointed that when she returned, she didn't request or be given the team that once was her own.

if you're a sam/jack shipper, you could be disappointed that sam spent two years straight trying to find a life and fight her love for jack. she got together with pete because of jack. she broke up with pete because of jack. so where's jack now in her life?

if you're a team fan, you might be disappointed that the team barely works together. they split up often. you might also be disappointed that there's no real leader to the team, since it seems to be lead by committee. you might also be disappointed that a greenhorn was given command (even if it was in peacetime) over MUCH more experienced officers working at the sgc. and you might just want the original team back, even though you're trying so hard to love of this new one.

so, you see, the ship issue is just one of many issues i'm having with the show right now. and the biggest issues for *me* are the sam/jack and sam not in total command issues.

if i were going to gabit, i wouldn't want to ask amanda this question. because i'm afraid of the answer. like i'm afraid of all her interviews now. but if you can find someone to ask... good luck.

sally
              sally

sigpic

Comment

by the way, Über, i agree with what you said.

sally

sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                  And a little snippet from JM's blog about Camelot (final episode of season 9)
                  Spoiler:

Just finished watching the director's cut of Camelot. Well, not exactly. I just got off the phone with Martin Wood, congratulating him on the terrific job he did on Camelot - which I just finished watching. Its huge in scope and really feels like a two-parter. There's so much going on including that swordfight I mentioned in a previous blog. HOLY CRAP does Ben take some punishment in this one. He lays it all out and, well, kicks ass. He's been an incredible addition to the show. Michael is also great in this one - determined, occasionally flustered, occasionally cool, and funny. Amanda gets to play both the scientist and the adventurer, while Chris gets to do some throwing down himself. Overall, a terrific season (let's hope not a series) ender

Thank you kindly, sir.

Blog stuff:
                  Spoiler:
                  Swordfighting? Again? OK, but it'd better be good. I mean, they wait 18 episodes to revisit that arc? Weird... Anywho, that's really not enough information for me. I need more. Much, much more. I need spoilers big time.

Comment

i'm on the rda/jack thunk thread right now (have been for *hours* ), and someone showed a cap from lifeboat. and this reminded me of how much i liked the way amanda played the 'just woke up' moment when her and jack woke up in the infirmary. so, does anyone have caps of that moment? (i liked amanda's sleepy eyes look)

sally
                    sally

sigpic

Comment

why do so many people dislike sam or want to make out shes jut a silly girl whos hung up on some guy , who knowone respects are THEY WATCHING THE SAME SHOW i mean seriously !! it really irratates me
                      sam is a great character planned by a really great actress END OF STORY!!!!!!!!!!

ah feel much better now

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                        i'm on the rda/jack thunk thread right now (have been for *hours* ), and someone showed a cap from lifeboat. and this reminded me of how much i liked the way amanda played the 'just woke up' moment when her and jack woke up in the infirmary. so, does anyone have caps of that moment? (i liked amanda's sleepy eyes look)

sally
                        Is this the one?

Comment

I love AT when she does thatdrugged out look! So many episodes, but the one I remember particularly is Divide and Conquer. She's just so good at it!

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
                            See, I like her too, if only because CB's playing her.

But if they had made her a bit more of a straight shooter, and less of a sex fiend, I would have liked her SOOO much more.
                            same for me. as a sexual object, well there's nothing in her for me to identify with since i don't run around in tight leather spouting lines from a porn movie and making a complete and total mikta of myself.

HOWEVER, the bits we saw in TPTB, the deeper parts. the exhost who has to confront her followers dying....that was interesting and that shows promise for her

will skiffy drop the sex in favor of something meatier???? eh, aint' holding out much hope. i think they think with their hormones too
                            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by irishchick
                              why do so many people dislike sam or want to make out shes jut a silly girl whos hung up on some guy , who knowone respects are THEY WATCHING THE SAME SHOW i mean seriously !! it really irratates me
                              sam is a great character planned by a really great actress END OF STORY!!!!!!!!!!

ah feel much better now
                              LOL

don't let them get to you. people see what they want to see. and if they hate sam, then they will 'see' anything that supports thier hate.

in many ways, i find vala a weaker character in the fact that she's so cliche ridden at times, but they love her. Why???

well, in my personal opinion, Vala is little more than half of Daniel and Vala....so if you like Daniel, then of course you're going to like a character that focuses on him and is often seen with him (and, in all honesty, vala does bring out a more light hearted adn playful side of daniel which i'm sure some find amusing)

so, anyway, people see what they want to see and life's too short to worry about it.

sigpic

Comment

what i would love to see is

well, vala dropping her sex act. then vala and sam working together on something. (there could also be a bit of dichotomy since vala is so sexual and sam is, well not quite a prude but she's definitely not as overt as vala is)

both of them are ex-hosts and i would imagine that there'll be some, maybe insecurity between them. sam will be more confident in a military surrounding, but vala was a host for who knows how long and has a better command on goauld stuff than sam does.

vala would also feed into sam's adventure streak and would probably be surprised at the risks sam would take. vala also has a lot of knowledge, but sam does too....just probably about different things

if the two characters are allowed to interact with each otehr i think we could end up with something like we got in fallen/homecoming with jonas and daniel. two 'competitors' that actually have a lot of chemistry with each other

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X