Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChopinGal
    Aren't you gonna buy a Dr. Janet Fraiser doll to keep Carter company?!
    brings new meaning to 'playing doctor' now don't it
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
      Okay here's my all important Amanda Question for any Samandan willing to take the baton:

Amanda...you're my favorite actress and Sam's my favorite character for OH so many reasons. I've enjoyed watching her over the years geeking it up when called for, getting snarkier and generally kicking lots of butt. I enjoyed her ever so brief stint as the leader of the team *cough*...but that's a question reserved for someone else.

One of the things I've enjoyed about Sam was the whole dynamic she has with Jack. Now granted, I know it's talked about by some as though it were the only aspect of her personna...for me though it's only a small part of what I enjoy about her.

That being said, I was really shocked by an article I read where you stated that the feelings Sam had for Jack were unrequited...as in "not returned". Now canonly, we know that Jack did have those feelings for Sam too many moments to list but the last Jack and Kerry scene showed even Kerry saw what he felt for Sam...so here's my question...it's a twofer (as in two for the price of one)...1. Did you mean that because he simply didn't/couldn't emote what he felt nearly as much as Sam did that some had the impression that the feelings were unrequited (I thought it was rather obviously though)? and 2. Was perhaps the motivation for your saying all that stuff the fact that for now at least you just want to focus on who Sam is now after all the events of the last few seasons and want the ship to sit in dry dock for a while...let things cool off and focus more on Soldier!Sam for the time being? Because I'd hate to think you've completely soured on ship entirely...although I can imagine that you're at least a little burnt out on the topic.

Because as a fan, next season (and I think there'll be one), I'm looking forward to a snarkier, geekier and even more Kickbutt!Sam with just a nice little acknowledgement here and there about the ship...I'm not talking about something as cheesy as a gateroom wedding but a call or a visit or lunch invite would be swell. Hopefully enough time will have passed so that people will have remembered that Sam is more than the sum of her romantic entanglements...I and a ton of my friends NEVER saw her that way, just so you know.

Okay. I really need the answer to this question if someone will dare to ask it.

Okay so which GABIT attendee...OF WHOM I AM NOT JEALOUS AT ALL ...will ask this question??? HMM???

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
        Okay so which GABIT attendee...OF WHOM I AM NOT JEALOUS AT ALL ...will ask this question??? HMM???
        LOL If I could talk as fast as Daniel, I'd have a chance of possibly getting it all out ... why don't you send me an email copy and I'll be glad to add it to our growing list!

Comment

If you haven't had a chance to read or listen to the GW Interview with Peter DeLuise, let me flash forward to three excerpts which caught my attention:

(Speaking about the new cast members):

PDL "And, of course, Claudia can do no wrong in my eyes. We've got her in this hot little tightly-cut dress. It doesn't even matter what she's saying. She's just perfect."

GW "...with the changes on both shows this year, what do you think that fans have to look forward to the most in the upcoming season for both shows?"

PDL "More in-depth information about each individual character ... It's not just The Ben Browder Show now. It's more about the qualities of the supporting cast, I think."

(Regarding Atlantis' first season (coinciding with SG1's S8):

PDL "... the first year they were going to get cut off, establish a reason for watching the show. Because otherwise they would be dialing up and saying, 'could you send SG-1? We've got another problem! Any problem worth having would've been worth getting SG-1 to come and solve it, or Carter at least to fix it'."

I've added the red to lines which seem to give us further insight into TPTB's states of mind (or mindlessness depending on how you interpret the statements). I think the Claudia Black remark speaks for itself ... they wanted sex and the single siren, and they got it! As to "It's not just The Ben Browder Show", I never knew it was!
          Spoiler:
          And as to marooning Atlantis in their first season so the cast/arcs became established, well I can buy most of that ... except that calling Carter to fix things might have been a good cross-over. She would have been looking professional and competent. Now when she does get over to Atlantis in S2, it will be to sex-up Rodney's isolation and appear as a dream in a submarine ... just lovely, Rodney's "wet dream"! I want to see Rodney and Sam together again because it's a lot like Felger and Sam and could be quite funny and snarky. But I'm not totally sold on this weak plot device. Even if she "saves him" in the submarine, she's not there ... just a figment of his imagination and we certainly know he has a thing for "sexy ... blondes". Back to woman as object. I want Carter to be used as a real hero, capable of flying to Atlantis and helping her comrades there. If they are building more Daedalus-like ships, let's give Sam full command of one!

Okay, rant over ... descending from soapbox.
          Really nice post. I totally agree with your summation. And it's pretty disturbing. I mean, I know that this fandom (as well as many, many others) has an abundance of fangirls of all different types. I don't know why, but it's the case. And that's bad enough, but TPTB can't help that.

But purposely bringing a siren/vixen/she-devil, with absolutely NO substance (or little that matters, apparently)?!?! That's just crazy.

PDL seems like one of those guys who will be brutally honest - to the point of being crass, obnoxious, and probably rude. I think the guy's hilarious, and I'm sure he's a good guy... I just question his state of mind, sometimes. But an hones statement likes these says it all. I'm sure he's not alone in his mindset.

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
            I really, really like this idea TE1!
            LOL! What a nice thing to say, esp. since you thought of it first! Read your story and was blown away. No one could have done it better! Kudos, and oh, encore!

Just sayin'.

My edit: And I make my 200th post on a positive note! Thanks much!
            TE1

My edit of my edit: STRIX, I should have mentioned that it was your story, The Knife's Edge of Madness, that reminded me of my Sam with the Replicarter chip idea. Nice job; hope you read my review.!

Just sayin' and sayin'.
            Last edited by Traveler Enroute1; 14 October 2005, 06:55 PM.
            MISSION: STARGATE REWATCH 2011-2012 ENGAGED DONE!
            sigpic
            Beware Helen Magnus - Doctor of A$$-Kicking

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
              But purposely bringing a siren/vixen/she-devil, with absolutely NO substance (or little that matters, apparently)?!?! That's just crazy.
              That's called the "get the horny teenage boys" factor. I thought everyone knew about that. Sad that the sex factor is all some people see in Vala. Ah well, I still like her.
              sigpic
              I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
                EDIT--I was going to say something nice about Peter D here but I decided to edit it out since it doesn't make a difference to the rest of my post anyway.

Fact is, het boys drool over hot babes in tight leather (Carter's motorcycle outfit? Hello?! lol ). Yeah. It's part of their charm, I suppose. (Spoken like a true GIRL, I know) Heh.

Anyhow, I do think most of us caught onto the fact that Claudia was there to "sex up" SG-1 from the get-go of season nine; that this was the intention of TPTB, which was why some of us were so disenchanted with the idea and disappointed in the direction they took Vala's character. I know others weren't and others loved Vala just as she was/is. But being one among the former crowd, I still hold out hope. Since we already saw a promising side to her in Prometheus Unbound, I'm still willing to be optimistic that they might just give her more depth as she returns. And potentially in season ten.

As to the line about Carter being able to rush over and "fix" all the problems at Atlantis, all I have to say is - save that one for later guys. We can bring it back out the next time some tool in the anti-Carter brigade posts a tirade about how "no one respects Sam". Ha ha ha. That's all I have to say! HA. HA. HA. Because they do have Rodney McKay over there, and PDL still said it would be Carter they called in to fish their butts out of a sling. HA HA HA HEE HEE.

mini(the giggling carter-fan-gurl)geek
                Last edited by minigeek; 12 October 2005, 07:39 PM.

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

i love sam carter.

i love amanda tapping.

MORE PLEASE!

there, i'm done, buh-bye.

sally
                  sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                    i love sam carter.

i love amanda tapping.

MORE PLEASE!

there, i'm done, buh-bye.

sally
                    Ha, now I'm having flashbacks to Elmira in TINY TOONS: "Ok I love you buh bye!"

Comment

Originally posted by SunKrux
                      That's called the "get the horny teenage boys" factor. I thought everyone knew about that. Sad that the sex factor is all some people see in Vala. Ah well, I still like her.
                      See, I like her too, if only because CB's playing her.

But if they had made her a bit more of a straight shooter, and less of a sex fiend, I would have liked her SOOO much more.

Comment

Originally posted by Traveler Enroute1

My edit: And I make my 200th post on a positive note! Thanks much!
                        TE1
                        Congrats, TE! I made my 200th today too. Hard to believe I had that much hot air in me! Ok, not that hard....... lol

mini

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
                          Congrats, TE! I made my 200th today too. Hard to believe I had that much hot air in me! Ok, not that hard....... lol

mini
                          Thanks, minigeek. And congrats to you!

Just sayin'.
                          MISSION: STARGATE REWATCH 2011-2012 ENGAGED DONE!
                          sigpic
                          Beware Helen Magnus - Doctor of A$$-Kicking

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
                            Fact is, het boys drool over hot babes in tight leather (Carter's motorcycle outfit? Hello?! lol ). Yeah. It's part of their charm, I suppose. (Spoken like a true GIRL, I know) Heh.
                            Hehe you got that right (Carter + Leather = death), but I also prefer some substance to the hot babes as well...

There was the beginning of substance for Vala in TPTB and hopefully they'll continue that substance in
                            Spoiler:
                            Crusade, which is when she makes another appearance

And a little snippet from JM's blog about Camelot (final episode of season 9)
                            Spoiler:

Just finished watching the director's cut of Camelot. Well, not exactly. I just got off the phone with Martin Wood, congratulating him on the terrific job he did on Camelot - which I just finished watching. Its huge in scope and really feels like a two-parter. There's so much going on including that swordfight I mentioned in a previous blog. HOLY CRAP does Ben take some punishment in this one. He lays it all out and, well, kicks ass. He's been an incredible addition to the show. Michael is also great in this one - determined, occasionally flustered, occasionally cool, and funny. Amanda gets to play both the scientist and the adventurer, while Chris gets to do some throwing down himself. Overall, a terrific season (let's hope not a series) ender

Comment

Can you tell I'm distressed over that "unrequited" comment??? I think Amanda's sick of Sam being perceived as weak because so much of her personal life was shown. Well, here are my thoughts about Sam and Season 10 and how an honest to goodness ship reference or two can only STRENGTHEN Sam.

IMHO, showing real acknowledgement of ship next season can do nothing but help Sam's character because it would validate what she went through at the end of last season...i.e., she didn't go through all that for nothing.

It would also show that ship is not all in Sam's mind...thus ending the "was she stalking Jack in Threads" debate.

It would show her life as having more dimension and balance because she's fulfilled professionally and personally.

So they don't have to scream it from the rooftops or have an episode focused on it FCOL...but a few references sprinkled about the season so that while Sam's clearly focused and kicking butt, she also has something to look forward to at home. A few phone calls, lunch invites, drop by visits from Jack where he's affectionate to Sam on screen...or heck...even a combination of these things and a ring that just shows up on her finger at the end of next season.

Additionally it'll end the debate that no longer needs to exist. Jack isn't around and therefore her work isn't in anyway hampered by her personal life.

See? This would only make Sam look better in the long run because it shows...once again...that Sam wasn't delusional and validates the struggle she went through in Threads et al.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

If you haven't had a chance to read or listen to the GW Interview with Peter DeLuise, let me flash forward to three excerpts which caught my attention:

(Speaking about the new cast members):

PDL "And, of course, Claudia can do no wrong in my eyes. We've got her in this hot little tightly-cut dress. It doesn't even matter what she's saying. She's just perfect."

GW "...with the changes on both shows this year, what do you think that fans have to look forward to the most in the upcoming season for both shows?"

PDL "More in-depth information about each individual character ... It's not just The Ben Browder Show now. It's more about the qualities of the supporting cast, I think."

(Regarding Atlantis' first season (coinciding with SG1's S8):

PDL "... the first year they were going to get cut off, establish a reason for watching the show. Because otherwise they would be dialing up and saying, 'could you send SG-1? We've got another problem! Any problem worth having would've been worth getting SG-1 to come and solve it, or Carter at least to fix it'."
                                The first thing that pops into my mind is

!!!GACK!!!

and wouldn't you know it, GateWorld doesn't offer the ineffable shade of puce that would truly do the sentiment justice.

"Hot little tightly cut dress"? Maybe someone ought to let PDL spend a day working in a leather/boned-and-reinforced-tapestry top as tight as Vala's black leather bustier, or her "Origin" Renn-Faire-esque garb so he can enjoy the experience of being trussed up too tight to breathe deeply, not that it matters, because one's too nervous about making an unplanned exit from the costume to take that deep breath that might provoke the costume to pop, and way too overheated from having too much leather and/or heavy fabric too tightly fitted around one's torso to worry about trivialities, and then it won't no longer matter what he's saying either - everyone will be too busy lookin' at his... personal pulchritude... to notice his actual work, either. My - if it doesn't matter what the actress says while in costume, why bother even hiring one? Just flash the way cool and hotly sexy dress on the screen, or and put it on display on a seamstress' dummy in Daniel's office, why not? Talk about disrespecting a performer!

And then "it's not just the Ben Browder show now"??? Pardonez moi? From what I can tell, PDL was in a group of one if he ever thought it was/seemed to be/ought to be/looked like "The Ben Browder Show." Unless, of course, he was referring to the pre-season publicity onslaught in that quote, whereupon, I might just have to give him that one.

Why should the commander of SG-1 apparently be regarded as 'Miss Fix It' by TPTB - as if there could be no other reason that she might logically go to Atlantis, or nothing else she could do once there. Sam seems to find the entire universe to be a decidedly interesting place, full of phenomena that merit closer study, and an often riveting and fascinating place that demands in-depth investigation. I'll bet that if she were in Atlantis, the rest of the city would darned well be explored by now. And I suspect interesting, Dakara style weaponry would have been developed, too. (Of course, Rodney might have found himself gagged and locked in an out of the way room in the city, one that all the sensors had been mysteriously programmed to ignore, too, by now, but, hey - exploration - and harassing senior military officers - has its dangers. )

I'm experiencing this urge to mail PDL my "Research" Demotivator and my current sig. Grrr.

::goes snarking toward bed::
                                ...a very cranky blog:http://simhavaktra.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X