Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SunKrux
    As much as I like Vala, I wouldn't want her to become a regular, even I would get tired of her. Besides, I wouldn't want her to loose too much of what makes her, her, the "kid who says what everyone is thinking". LOL Do I think she needs to tone down, eh, maybe, but I think if/when she comes back, her experience in the Ori system/where ever she is now, will help with that.
    I compare Vala with Felger...in that a little goes a long way. Neither would be sustainable as a regular cast member...because the thing that makes them special is their "over the top"-ness.

It's always fun to see them play off of regulars though...I think there were lost opportunities between Vala and Sam for instance that could have been really cool.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
      what i think we also got a glimpse of in gemini and what had an effect on how sam acted is how totally screwed up fifth left her.

Spoiler:

one reason sam was so sympathetic to rc is because of sam's torture at fifth's hands. fifth broke her. he totally messed with her head and, personally, i don't think she ever told her friends exactly what happened. sure, she may have told them about the farm fantasy - probably leaving out the mentions of pete, just that fith made her a farm fantasy - but i doubt she told them that fifth had her crying on the floor.
      she'd play the 'i don't remember' card and they would believe her because they didn't remember much of their little mind melds the first time.

because of that, she was naturally sympathetic towards RC and that colored her perceptions
      agree.

at least i want it to be that way. i'd like to believe the writers could think like that (and tell amanda to add those nuances to her performance in gemini), but sometimes the writers put in as much depth as a puddle.

and sometimes an ocean.

sally
      sally

sigpic

Comment

I've just been catching up on the day's worth of great posting, and I had to pipe in and say... AD, I just love all the great caps you have in your sigs. Every single one of 'em says something. Really cool! If I didn't mention that before already.

And... this {{hug}} is for Kat. Sounds like you're not having a good time of things right now. I hope so very much things look up for you soon.

mini

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
        ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
          I think the writers, while i'm sure they were having fun, also were likely under some pressure to sex things up, and vala became that unfortunate vehicle.
          i've heard this on more than one thread (that scifi is interfering with the show and it's direction). is this true, or are we guessing? and if it's true, what are they doing/saying?

sally
          sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Coley
            Oh and on my preferences. Despite being a massive Sam fan. I prefer the team eps to anything else and I'm still waiting for the writers to provide us with episodes which time after time have the team firmly together pitting their wits against the enemy with everyone sharing an equal role.

here's a statement i made on another thread today. (we were talking about team interaction)

it's going to be a *long* time before i can see this new team (makeup) and feel it's really sg1. and heck, maybe i never will. but i *want* to, so that's a step in the right direction.

will anyone *really* see this new team as sg1? from what i've seen, i can't get around jack/rda being missing. or maybe because mitchell is such a poor replacement, which *shouldn't* have anything to do with it (i like mitchell/ben).

sally
            sally

sigpic

Comment

spoilers for s8's gemini

Originally posted by stargate barbie
              hey guys, back to the gemini discussion, i think that TPTB didn't have enough screen time to show the severity of sams torture, nor could they have done so and done it justice on a tv show, given ratings. so i think that their way of showing how bad it was, was to show sam cower in fear, and break down and cry. this was letting us know that it was bad, because anyone who's seen five minutes of the show knows that sam just doesn't do that unless the situation is reeally bad.

grr! this topic really gets me going, because it's the MALE writers being afraid of showing a woman in a real hard sitation that ISN'T about rape! there's absolutely *no* reason why they needed to pull back from the *real* impact of torture. i thought was fifth was doing to sam *was* torture, but they purposely pulled back from not only showing just how long it had been going on, but pulled back on the whole intensity of it as well. i could ask why, but i know why.

but of course, it could go just the opposite way and show too much horrible things (and as jerin knows, it's better than BEHEADING your fave character's head!! )

sally
              sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SamFan31

Teal’c: ColonelCarter, what is written on the wall?
                Sam: I’m not sure, Teal’c. But I think it says “Welcome to the Sam and Teal’c Adventure Series”.

you just gave me an idea...

what would be the scenarios if sam were hooked up with another team member for a show that was exclusively theirs?

sam and teal'c show?

sam and daniel show?

sam and mitchell show?

sam and jack show?

sam and take you pick?

sam and tealc: sam is captured by a goauld and tortured and kept prisoner for months. teal'c goes in search of her (along with the rest of sg1), but he's the one that finds her. he's cut off from the rest of the team, so it's just sam and teal'c escaping and surviving. but they can't get home right away, so it's their adventures until they do. and it's sam's slow recovery of her ordeal.

sam and daniel: they're on their way to atlantis on a ship, but the ship gets taken over by the entities from s7's Grace again. the aliens get tired of them and deposit them on a planet. sam and daniel are now stuck in another galaxy with no way of getting home. the basic premise is showing them trying.

sam and mitchell: sam is given command of the beta site, and while mitchell is visiting her, the base is taken over by aliens. half the ppl are killed/injured and the stargate is destroyed. sam is still in charge of the beta base, but she assigns mitchell to head up the military end of things. together, they find a way of fixing the gate and getting home.

(why are all my premises about them trying to find their way home? )

i'm apologizing ahead of time to AD and jckfan for the shippy (extreme ) aspects of this next scenario.

sam and jack: it's one year from now, and sam's returned to research and developement at area 51. but she's also gotten married to jack. landry falls ill and decides to leave stargate command. he recommends sam as his replacement. after talking to jack about it, she accepts. now sam's the head of the biggest of the biggest. the premise is her struggles with running the sgc. (since rda would still want to be semi in this show, i'm using him, basically, as just sam's husband. )

on weird scenarios...

sam and orlin: sam is fatally injured and orlin 'partially' ascends her. she's stuck between two worlds, and before she can return to the actual living, she must prove her worth. the catch, though, is it's all in sam's head. meaning, she was always capable to returning to corporal form, she just didn't 'want' it enough.

sam and pete: pete's a twirp and sam dumps him. (the show only lasts one ep )

sam and janet: on a mission to rescue a lost sg team, sam comes across janet. she's been living in a cell and had obviously been through a lot. through trying to rescue her, sam gets captured too. sam gets them out and gets them home, but it's discovered that janet is actually a clone. sam and clone janet go in search of the real janet, that had been pulled from the morgue at the sgc and revived. and cloned. and lost, after the asgard misplaced her. *snort*

sam and vala: the women discover that they have one big thing in common (besides the whole host thing) - vala's host was in love with jolinar. through memories, they discover the descendants of jolinar's and vala's host (don't remember her name) are alive and want to find them. reuniting with them would put a major painful part of their lives at rest. so they set off together to reunite their 'almost' families.

i think i'll stop now, since my premises are getting weaker as they go along.

sally
                sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                  See? There are some female characters on the sidelines that are making an impression on other women because of, possibly, a "blink" reaction ... has anyone read that book? The author's premise is that sometimes we automatically and very intuitively are right with our sudden first impressions. I had that "blink" experience with the new young Jaffa. As we've said, she's intelligent, well spoken, and has a presence about her ... she stands out for some reason. TPTB may be looking for low-cut bustiers and leather, but I'm looking for s-u-b-s-t-a-n-c-e. Let's hope they bring her back and I love what was just said: let Sam and the new woman have some scenes together around a Teal'c situation ...
                  Spoiler:
                  I think I know the "stab-in-the-back" scene but we have yet to see if her heart is really into the final position of the Jaffa Council ... that has not yet been revealed. I'm willing to cut her some slack; I think she's still on Teal'c's side.

What does this tell us? Do you see how hungry we are for some good heavyweight acting between females on the show?!!
                  Spoiler:
                  At least we're getting Janet back briefly for Ripple Effect!

Dux femina facti = "the leader of the deed was a woman". Unfortunately, I can't remember where, in my high-school Latin literature, that line appeared. I hope it was in a favorable context.
                  That Jaffa woman is quite intriguing. Good points. Still,
                  Spoiler:
                  I WAS expecting her to be a backstabber, I have to admit, and I was surprised when she didn't turn out to be one earlier on.
                  Though I hope that doesn't happen, nothing's cleared yet.

This "blink" reaction thingy is very interesting! Does it refer to people in general, or specifically women?

Also, there's GOTTA be a place for us to use "Dux femina facti" somewhere...

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                    sam and vala: the women discover that they have one big thing in common (besides the whole host thing) - vala's host was in love with jolinar. through memories, they discover the descendants of jolinar's and vala's host (don't remember her name) are alive and want to find them. reuniting with them would put a major painful part of their lives at rest. so they set off together to reunite their 'almost' families.
                    Hehe, the funny thing is that I've read a fic that was Jolinar/Vala

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc
                      We're on the same wavelength here, ChopinGal. She impressed me too---she does have screen presence---sounds funny, but I really liked her voice. Very commanding and strong. Yes, Teal'c needs more scenes with her. And hey, I could go for some scenes with her and Sam working together to help out Teal'c. I'd love to see these two women working together. I wonder if this character is on again later in the season?
                      see the female characters we keep being drawn to? strong, but not over the top. i like the female jaffa too.

i miss janet.

heck, i miss kick-butt sam.

HECK, I MISS STARGATE.

sally
                      sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                        Surely you jest.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                          why does this not surprise me?

*hugs her super perverted AD*

sally
                          sally

sigpic

Comment

Okay here's my all important Amanda Question for any Samandan willing to take the baton:

Amanda...you're my favorite actress and Sam's my favorite character for OH so many reasons. I've enjoyed watching her over the years geeking it up when called for, getting snarkier and generally kicking lots of butt. I enjoyed her ever so brief stint as the leader of the team *cough*...but that's a question reserved for someone else.

One of the things I've enjoyed about Sam was the whole dynamic she has with Jack. Now granted, I know it's talked about by some as though it were the only aspect of her personna...for me though it's only a small part of what I enjoy about her.

That being said, I was really shocked by an article I read where you stated that the feelings Sam had for Jack were unrequited...as in "not returned". Now canonly, we know that Jack did have those feelings for Sam too many moments to list but the last Jack and Kerry scene showed even Kerry saw what he felt for Sam...so here's my question...it's a twofer (as in two for the price of one)...1. Did you mean that because he simply didn't/couldn't emote what he felt nearly as much as Sam did that some had the impression that the feelings were unrequited (I thought it was rather obviously though)? and 2. Was perhaps the motivation for your saying all that stuff the fact that for now at least you just want to focus on who Sam is now after all the events of the last few seasons and want the ship to sit in dry dock for a while...let things cool off and focus more on Soldier!Sam for the time being? Because I'd hate to think you've completely soured on ship entirely...although I can imagine that you're at least a little burnt out on the topic.

Because as a fan, next season (and I think there'll be one), I'm looking forward to a snarkier, geekier and even more Kickbutt!Sam with just a nice little acknowledgement here and there about the ship...I'm not talking about something as cheesy as a gateroom wedding but a call or a visit or lunch invite would be swell. Hopefully enough time will have passed so that people will have remembered that Sam is more than the sum of her romantic entanglements...I and a ton of my friends NEVER saw her that way, just so you know.

Okay. I really need the answer to this question if someone will dare to ask it.

Last edited by Uber; 11 October 2005, 11:17 PM.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
                              Surely you jest.
                              Negative

A Face From the Past, by Celievamp is the story if anyone is interested (Rated R, but not anything graphic)

Comment

I just found this reference to the next issue of the official Stargate magazine. http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....&postcount=149
                                Amanda's on the cover and it features the second half of the interview with her. It should be out in the next week or so.

NC

Comment

Working...
                                X