Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
    Hello Samanda,

I just wanted to come by and say 'Aveo Amicuse'. Unfortunately my family is going through a bit of a crisis at the moment and I don't think I'll be around much anymore. I'll try to drop by and lurk when I can, but more than not, I won't have much time to post.

There is also a very good chance that I won't be making it to Gabit this year. If you have asked me to give anything to Amanda at Gabit, could you please send your requests on to Chopin Gal or Coley. I'm sure they would be more than willing to help out. I am very sorry for just bailing on so many of you but unfortunately this is a situation for which I have no control. There is a very small chance I may be able to go, but I probably won't know until the last moment.

As I have already purchased my Gabit ticket, I really hate the idea of the ticket going to waste. I'm going to try to talk to the coordinators of Gabit to see what their refund policy is like. But just in case, if you would love to see Amanda at Gabit and you don't have the money to go, please send me an email. I can't guarantee you the ticket as I'm not sure they are transferable, but if I'm not going, I'd really like to see someone from Samanda have it. Please keep in mind I only have one ticket and I may not know until Oct 26th if I can go or not.

I just want to thank you all for all the wonderful times you have given me and the encouragement you have given me with my fanart. You really are the Best of the Best. Each and every one of you will always be in my heart and thoughts even if I am not here with you.

Keep the fires of Samanda burning bright.

Peace and Love ( Amanda Forever )
    Kat

Edit: I'm 5'9" as well.
    Kat, you will be in my thoughts. You'll be missed. Please let us know how you are doing.

Hugs,
    Strix

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by SunKrux
      Having seen Ben at several cons, I can say with relative comfort, that Ben is a very gracious person and an all around nice gent and progably had no choice in how Mitchell was/is being advertised to the fans. I seriously doubt he'd plot to take over anyone's role at SG1 (I know that's not what you're saying, but some fans may think that). Considering that Ben is the "newbie" to SG1, he probably has little to no say in the matter. Sorry...had to pipe in here...blame the Scaper in me. LOL

Well said. AT may not think this is a real problem, after all she has that little bundle of joy to worry and fuss over. I can so see her doing that, with a smile on her face too. I bet AT is a great mum!

Oh yes, I completely agree. I've heard nothing but positive things about Ben Browder. I would never think that he was trying to take another actor's role. What I hoped for all along is that BB and AT get along and enjoy acting together on the show. From AT's latest interview--this seems to be the case. It seems that she is happy with how things are going. I'm looking forward to seeing more of Sam/Mitchell interaction in the second half. I just wouldn't like the idea of AT being disappointed in not being sole leader if that is what she expected --- she really was looking forward to this leadership role in season 8, and in season 9 (according to an interview last October).

It seems that we are all directing our frustration toward TPTB and the suits and not Ben Browder.

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
        Excellent. So the small "s" versus big "S" is your version of my umlaut issue.

Daymn straight baby! It's not Aeryn sun, it's Aeryn Sun. It's also not just Sam carter it's Sam Carter. LOL
        sigpic
        I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
          Ok, this being the (sane) gateworld forum, and not the (cough) other forum, I'm going to go ahead and feel free to be honest about how I feel here!
          What other forum are you refering to? LOL Please don't blame me for any of that! Please don't color all Scapers by the handful who've come here and been less than gracious to Gaters in regards to Claudia and Ben being on the show. All fandoms have a handful of "fanatics". LOL

In point of fact, I really loved Vala when she was first introduced in PU (neat episode acronym eh? lol), I thought she was an amazing character. Heck, she stole a starship! Kidnapped Daniel, and the sparks off those two?? How cool is that?! Wow. This season she's had a couple of really good, really hilarious moments, and lord knows Claudia Black is a fantastic actress, she really is. But, well........

I feel like the writers have done Vala a bit of a disservice this year, overall. As a fan, I'm disappointed in her character for season nine thus far. Primarily, I'm disappointed in the way the writing has continually hammered and hammered at the "sexual stereotype" act they invented for her. We all know Vala's got a very sensual side to her, that she uses sex as a crutch, and that's not necessarily terrible, it's even funny from time to time, goodness knows Claudia pulled it off as well as I think was possible for any actress (perhaps even better than most). But I'd wager that anyone who didn't see Prometheus Unbound last year probably doesn't even realize what Vala is really capable of. Not this year.

Her dialogue ....... I've been bummed by the fact that it's repetative and frankly, at times, a little too cliche for my linking. If I can use a (terrible) metaphore for a moment, for me it was like having a really fantastic piece of triple chocolate cake with butter frosting on it ..... and then squirting Hershey syrop all over it. Gahhh! There's doing something well, and then there's overdoing it.

In my humble (and very personal) opinion, Vala is a fantastic character that was cheated out of a fantastic character storyline. Her potential is off the scale, so I haven't given up on her. I'm keeping fingers and toes crossed that once she returns, there's more meat to her motivation; more storyarc-driven conflict. Lets face it, she's got a killer back-story, with the Goa'uld and the fact that the Tok'ra essentially ripped the symbiot out of her body and left her in an uncerimonious heap to fend for herself, completely alone in a cold, uncaring universe. Ouch. If anyone has a great past to draw powerful character motive from, it's Vala Mal Doran. And if anyone can understand a little of what she might be going through with those issues, hey, it's Sam Carter, right???

I REALLY want to see that potential play out a bit. I want to see Vala interact with the other characters on SG-1 at a more personal level (that doesn't involve such blatant innuendo every other line). One particular scene that stands out, was during "The Powers That Be" when she confessed to Daniel that she had no idea how to be a hero; how to save a life. That was a great first step. But selfishly, as a viewer who DID see Prometheus Unbound, I want more of that kind of stong storytelling for her character. Because the idea that two strong female characters can co-exist in the same universe is a good idea (whomever has that in their sig right now!). And I don't want to see an actress like Claudia Black go to waste on a character the writers never plan to flesh out to her full potential.

That's why Vala frustrates me right now. Because I know she and Sam Carter could have some frickin AMAZING scenes together, if the darn writing team would just be brave enough to set their pens to paper and leave their stereotypes at the door for five minutes.
          I agree to a point. I don't think the character was that over the top, but I credit that to the talent of Claudia and possibly the director. On the flip side, the over the topness that some folks see, could quite possibly be the director's fault, as it is the director's job to reign in actor's who are going over the top.

As for Vala and Sam scenes...I sooooo want to see that! I think it would be frellin' amazing! AT and CB would work well together I think. Hopefully we'll get to see that in S10.
          sigpic

Comment

ForeverSg1, My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I hope everything turns out okay!

Comment

Gee thanks! I feel so special and loved.

Aw come on, Vala is not THAT bad.
              You're right, Vala is not THAT bad. I thought she had a lot of potential as a character, and she did make me laugh. I have a great deal of respect for Claudia Black's work.

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                Hello Samanda,

I just wanted to come by and say 'Aveo Amicuse'. Unfortunately my family is going through a bit of a crisis at the moment and I don't think I'll be around much anymore. I'll try to drop by and lurk when I can, but more than not, I won't have much time to post.

There is also a very good chance that I won't be making it to Gabit this year. If you have asked me to give anything to Amanda at Gabit, could you please send your requests on to Chopin Gal or Coley. I'm sure they would be more than willing to help out. I am very sorry for just bailing on so many of you but unfortunately this is a situation for which I have no control. There is a very small chance I may be able to go, but I probably won't know until the last moment.

As I have already purchased my Gabit ticket, I really hate the idea of the ticket going to waste. I'm going to try to talk to the coordinators of Gabit to see what their refund policy is like. But just in case, if you would love to see Amanda at Gabit and you don't have the money to go, please send me an email. I can't guarantee you the ticket as I'm not sure they are transferable, but if I'm not going, I'd really like to see someone from Samanda have it. Please keep in mind I only have one ticket and I may not know until Oct 26th if I can go or not.

I just want to thank you all for all the wonderful times you have given me and the encouragement you have given me with my fanart. You really are the Best of the Best. Each and every one of you will always be in my heart and thoughts even if I am not here with you.

Keep the fires of Samanda burning bright.

Peace and Love ( Amanda Forever )
                Kat

Edit: I'm 5'9" as well.

(((((Kat))))) I wish you and your family nothing but good thoughts. I hope everything turns out okay. Just know that we'll be thinking about you and missing you.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc
                  Oh yes, I completely agree. I've heard nothing but positive things about Ben Browder. I would never think that he was trying to take another actor's role. What I hoped for all along is that BB and AT get along and enjoy acting together on the show. From AT's latest interview--this seems to be the case. It seems that she is happy with how things are going. I'm looking forward to seeing more of Sam/Mitchell interaction in the second half. I just wouldn't like the idea of AT being disappointed in not being sole leader if that is what she expected --- she really was looking forward to this leadership role in season 8, and in season 9 (according to an interview last October).

It seems that we are all directing our frustration toward TPTB and the suits and not Ben Browder.
                  Let's just say that Samandas are directing their frustration towards TPTB and not at Ben, but let's face it, not everyone who reads this thread is a Samanda. And not every Gater is a Samanda. LOL

I too hope that Ben and Amanda and the rest of the cast get along well and enjoy working together. That's what makes a good show great...the fact that the cast and crew genuinly enjoy working together. I don't care how fabulous an actor is, sometimes it is really hard to act like you enjoy working with another actor if you can't stand them. LOL
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                    48 Hours Review

This episode introduces Rodney McKay and has some hilarious and snarky moments between Sam and him. However, I paid more attention this time around to two other scenes. I guess it's because of my sensitivity to the whole leadership thing for Sam, but couldn't help wanting Hammond back now to decisively say something similar to the lines he spoke to Simmons when McKay first came on base:

"Good. He can report to Major Carter." Decisive and quick. There, take that. Carter is the one with the expertise, according to SGC standards, and therefore she's in charge.
                    Yes, I loved that moment too. It was great to hear him so openly praise Sam. You know he respects her, but he doesn't often get the chance to say it. I think, like you ChopinGal, I was more sensitive that issue this time around too--though I've always loved it.

Also, besides the humor in the commissary scene--(I especially love her look when he's shovelling in the food & she says "hungry?" with this kind of disgusted look) I loved her theorizing about how the gate works. That scientific excitement.
                    And AT really shows the worry about Tealc, and also the concentration of trying to figure out how to get him back, in the earlier scene where O'Neill comes in to ask how things are going.

add: Oh, and don't forget Action Sam at the beginning of the episode.

Comment

What other forum are you refering to? LOL Please don't blame me for any of that! Please don't color all Scapers by the handful who've come here and been less than gracious to Gaters in regards to Claudia and Ben being on the show. All fandoms have a handful of "fanatics". LOL
                      From what I saw, there were "fanatics' on both sides over there. Gater and Scaper alike. I had no idea what a "Gater" even was until about five months ago, so I'm gleefully stereotype free!

As for Vala and Sam scenes...I sooooo want to see that! I think it would be frellin' amazing! AT and CB would work well together I think. Hopefully we'll get to see that in S10.
                      Yes, here's to hoping. One things for absolutely certain, those two are both powerful actors in their own right. It would be Über-cool (did I get the little dorky sideways colon-thing right, Ms. Überness? lol) .... to see them both working together on screen!

mini(I am in so much trouble)geek

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                      ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

As a person of 5'2" I think that's frellin' hilarious! Thanks!
                        Yes, there seem to be quite a few of us here in Samanda ... and the fingers did slip!

Comment

Sorry if we're putting you on the defensive, SunKrux.

The forum we're referring to is the Sony Stargate Sg-1 forum (also known as the Place of Black Negativity), where many Daniel and Vala fans spend endless hours trying to figure out every single possible way to slam Sam (and all too often, Amanda Tapping) into the dirt. The convoluted and creative ways they go about it are truly mind boggling. I think if you go visit and read through some of the threads, you will understand why some of us sound like we've got sour grapes when it comes to Daniel and Vala. It's hard to stay positive when faced with such overwhelming negativity directed towards Sam coming from that particular group of fans.

On the other hand, as a Vala fan, you'll find lots of pro Vala threads. Just don't forget to come play with us, too!

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
                            From what I saw, there were "fanatics' on both sides over there. Gater and Scaper alike. I had no idea what a "Gater" even was until about five months ago, so I'm gleefully stereotype free!

Yes, here's to hoping. One things for absolutely certain, those two are both powerful actors in their own right. It would be Über-cool (did I get the little dorky sideways colon-thing right, Ms. Überness? lol) .... to see them both working together on screen!

mini(I am in so much trouble)geek
                            *gasps ... trying to catch ... breath*

DORKY SIDEWAYS COLON-THING???????????

You could have at least said "geeky"...I would have identified with that more.

Oh and that Mitchell thread has turned into a "Sam is a complete incompetent" thread. And the example??? Gemini.

*GROWL SNARL GROWL*

Why don't people get that the one person in the galaxy that could sucker Sam did so quite amazingly because of who she was and the memories and feelings they shared??? Sam shouldn't be qualified to lead a pep rally the way they're talking. And since when did Sam let Jack take the blame??? I saw Sam kick herself up oneside and down the other for what happened...

*GROWL SNARL GROWL*

My patience with it has ended for the evening. Go there at your own peril.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Ok, how about I put one in my name too? mïnigeek

Now we both have a dorky sideways colon-thingy!

Oh and that Mitchell thread has turned into a "Sam is a complete incompetent" thread. And the example??? Gemini.

*GROWL SNARL GROWL*
                              There's no reasoning with those foolish twits, hun. It's not worth the trouble. Come play here, where the water's warm, and there's more than enough blue jello to go around.

mïnidork (I mean geek)

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                              ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Well, and maybe we're not talking about the same threads/forums at all. Are you talking about the Mitchell in Command thread, Über?

My LJ

Comment

Working...
                                X