• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by majorsal
    my question(s) for sam?

spoilers for s7, s8, s9

Spoiler:

1 - why didn't you talk to jack about 'things' before you went out with pete?

2 - why didn't you dump pete when he ran a background check on you, followed you to a stakeout, and almost got you and your team killed?

3 - why didn't you dump pete after the events of jack getting frozen in the antarctic? (i believed you knew you were 'really' in love with jack by that time)

4 - did you get counseling after fifth scrambled your brain?

5 - why did you accept pete's proposal?

6 - why did it take you so long to dump pete, when you *knew* you were in love with jack (even if you weren't sure he was with you)?

7 - how did you start your conversation to pete when you broke up with him?

8 - are you and jack in a relationship now? if not, are you planning to?

sorry, non-shippers, but this is what *i'd* ask sam if i could.

sally
    Holy crap! I thought this was a Q&A, not the third degree...

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
      Let's face it. When it comes to figuring out her personal feelings, Sam's a blockhead. I mean it took her FOREVER FCOL...but at least she figured it out, right? And what did she figure out? That there's nothing wrong to having a life beyond the SGC, to have a fulfilling relationship with someone...it just has to be the RIGHT someone and not Mr. Standin.

Our Sam's a brilliant scientist and kickbutt soldier...but boy does she turn into a moron when it comes to her own personal life. Of course it makes her more real because it shows she isn't perfect after all. But these things just make me appreciate her more.
      Me too. I think she's someone who, as she said in one episode, considers herself "focused" and she's confident in work situations. I find it kind of endearing (and realistic) that she'd be less comfortable in her love life. And I agree that Pete was probably not going to be Mr. Right. But I still think they could have handled the whole situation differently. Who was it that suggested that we see Pete periodically wondering why someone doing deep space radar telemetry has to be out of town on short notice & comes back with a tan? I liked that idea. I would have even been happy for her to have dated Pete for a while and have some fun (go to the movies etc.) but to break things off before any proposal.

Comment

Originally posted by ann_sgcfan
        Ah yes. Don't we all, and for those of you that haven't, consider yourself blessed. And we can remember back on that time with embarrassment and a whole load of knowledge/experience we wish we had before Mr. Standin came along. See Sam has now learnt that painful but important lesson.
        EXACTLY!!! (and I concur with the whole "consider yourself blessed" thing too).

Sam didn't have some of the experiences we've had with life and love. She was admittedly stunted in this area as she didn't want to expose herself to a relationship that would "inevitably end in heartache." She protected herself from it for most of her life. So she experienced her twenties a little later than most. I went through the learning experiences earlier on than she did and decided that, for the moment, I'm little miss career girl...and will be until I meet Mr. Right. So I relate to her more here than elsewhere...great professionally, really bad with men. Except with me, I know not to settle for Mr. Standin as I already went down that path. Of course I dare say Sam has learned hard lessons from Pete.

Sam now has made choices to accomodate what she wants out of life both professionally and personally...however she also has to weigh in the fact that she has to be on call to save the galaxy at a moments notice...you know, in case Mitchell gets the urge to press things again... (oooh, that was snarky even for me)...

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
          Really?? I don't have the retail copy myself, but we've had a copy of the season 8 DVD masters in the studio for a few months now and our copy DOES have the 90 minute version on it. So unless someone changed it since August, it should have the longer version. I guess it's possible they changed it - but one really would have to wonder why. They aired the 90 minute version in most markets. It doesn't make sense to have put a truncated version on the DVD release. {sigh} And then we moan about folks downloading the episodes.
          One does wonder why.... except it makes sense in a way, given the fact that they *only* aired the 90-minute version of Threads twice one night, the premiere night. All other times since that first evening they've aired the hacked up/edited version of it. (just speaking of what we here in the U.S. have been subjected to...)

Almost seems like in some sick way we're being forced by TPTB to experience a real life alternate universe ---- Those of us who managed to watch the 90 minute version (or even better - taped it) have one version of canon in their minds.... and anyone else who couldn't/didn't watch it have a different view of canon as important things were omitted.

What was the point then in blowing the budget to make a 90-minute version if they were only going to air it once? And given the heavy rotation of SciFi for the SG episodes... why make a 60 min. watered down version of it to replay into infinity? Especially when some of us got to see the "real" version and know what is really supposed to "be there."

I understand editing out curse words, and Share's full-frontal nudity in COTG for mass consumption. But once TPTB, or the networks that are playing the eps, start to hack away at the stories to fit certain time parameters - it screws with the story IMO. (Like when major moviews are edited down for TV for length, violence, nudity and the like.) Not that I appreciate that kind of editing of movies down for either broadcast or non-premium cable channels, because it does change the story, sometimes drastically, and the movie becomes some watered down thing with less impact that makes less sense.

And this is an episode of a TV show that was already rated PG when it aired that they're doing it to. And a show that dealt with many major issues that the leads and major secondary characters were having.

Anyone else feel as I personally do that, instead of a two-parter Moebius, a two-parter Threads would have been much better? Especially seeing as how TPTB were promoting the episode as one that was to tie up 'major' threads of the series?
          Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
          My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

Major, Ma-am, you were right...shoulda stayed away from "that thread"

Feelin' a little grumpy now.

I NEED A HUG

Comment

majorsal--I love question #4 about Season 8 spoiler
              Sam getting counseling after the 5th episode. I wonder what backstory AT has for how Sam was able to deal with that.

Comment

Thankyou for the amazingly sweet rep comments people have given me the last day or so. Some of them made me cry when I read them this morning. People are so kind here.

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Originally Posted by deepspace: Quas
                  Originally Posted by Qasim: I think I will have to remove the U button from your keyboard
                  ack! apologies, again, Qas. Sorry .
                  By the way, did we ever find you a royal position around here? Last I remember we were waiting for the elders to make a decision.

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Originally posted by crazedturkey
                    Apparently the actress that played Jack's ex-wife in Cold Lazarus was one of the people who auditioned for Sam. They liked her, so they found her a part in the first season.

(See I keep telling ya it's fate )
                    I think the character of Sam would have been much different with Harley Jane Kozak (Sara O'Neill) playing her. Much different. And the team chemistry would have been much different. Good choice for Sara, but IMOHO not such a good choice for Sam. AT just has that twinkle and infectuous spark that I didn't see in HJK either in CL or in a movie that I caught her in...
                    Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)

Comment

Originally posted by deepspace
                      ack! apologies, again, Qas. Sorry .
                      By the way, did we ever find you a royal position around here? Last I remember we were waiting for the elders to make a decision.
                      Verdict's still out ... equestrian, techie, junior accountant (Coley is senior bean counter), footman or butler, PR Man has a nice ring to it but I can't remember if we already have someone doing the public relations ... help!

Jester

Comment

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn
                        Oh, come on now, ShimmeringStar. I'm joining the conversation very late, but you know there are no S/P shippers!
                        LOL! I know you were being tongue-in-cheek, but I can vouch for there being a number of S/P shippers in fandom and here at GW. I remember a number of interesting discussions on the open Ship dicussion thread (this was the months early on after Chimera had aired).

Comment

Originally posted by ShimmeringStar
                          I think the character of Sam would have been much different with Harley Jane Kozak (Sara O'Neill) playing her. Much different. And the team chemistry would have been much different. Good choice for Sara, but IMOHO not such a good choice for Sam. AT just has that twinkle and infectuous spark that I didn't see in HJK either in CL or in a movie that I caught her in...
                          I agree SS! Nobody could have done it better ...

Maybe Sam found Amanda more than Amanda found Sam! After all, AT has mentioned that her real dad wanted to name her "Sam" and then started calling her "Sam" when she was little. And her brothers are named Christopher and Richard and a step-brother named Michael! Need backup on this, anyone remember reading this story? I think I've got it right ...
                          Last edited by ChopinGal; 05 October 2005, 05:25 PM.

Comment

Here's an old promo pic ...

Sigh ... "nothing gold can stay."

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                              Here's an old promo pic ...

[/B]
                              Heh. Rick has chicken arms in that pic. {snork}

mini(ducking the rotten veggies)geek

EDIT: OK. The "sloganizer" in my sig just said "Sam and Jack inside you." - that's just WRONG. I'm going to have to go change that. Right about now.

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                              ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Hehe, its probably just how they shot the photo but Amanda looks like such a short-arse in that pic

Comment

Working...
                                X