Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lys
    There are no commentaries for Threads on R2 the box-set either.
    I didn't get any commentries at all. One directors series per box, the a couple of Stargatesg1/A specials covering 4 discs and a convention experience covering AT/MS/CJ. It was very poor. They are just taking advantage because a number of people in the UK have not got cable and don't want to wait over a year to buy the box set - so the retail out this drivel at £16 per dvd

Comment

Originally posted by Coley
      It has - at least I think. It is a total of 60mins long.

However I have not got any audio commentries!!! I bought the single dvd's!!!
      e-mail MGM uk (i think it's [email protected] . you'll have to provide proof of pufchase but they replaced mine, well the 4 that i had at the time, with ones that have commentaries. )

they replaced mine with ones with commentaries.
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

i do have to agree that the writers do try. and most of the time they do just fine

they just need to leave the personal stuff to amanda...or at least listen to her when she protests.

i remmber AT talking about affinity and the ending and how she didnt like it, but had to do what cooper wanted. i understand why it made sense to have her accept pete's proposal at the stakeout. they were already there, cheaper and faster than setting up elsewhere...but sam the character was reamed from here until next sunday for her actions and behaviors and being unprofessional. and it's not sam's fault, it's not amanda's fault...in this case it was coop's

blame, such as it is, should go where it belongs

the character was sacrificed for convenience
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dani76
          ... So true. The writers come up with great stories, but they really should leave the feminine part of Sam to Amanda. Clearly, Amanda knows what she wants and where she wants to go with Sam. No matter who writes the stories, Amanda is the one who knows Sam the best and who has made Sam the soldier, scientist, and woman she is today.

For me it is clear: the reason why so many women admire Sam and can identify with her, is Amanda's hard work and dedication. When I read how much thought and love Amanda puts into this character, I am often overwhelmed. I never heard another actress or actor talk about their character the way Amanda does. Not only does she take the time to understand all the technobabble, but she also makes the effort of talking with TPTB to improve the character.

If TPTB would have gone on with the character the way it was written in COTG, we would not have the Sam today, we all have come to love.

Long story short: I think the writers do deserve credit for Sam and the stories, but Amanda has taken those stories and has made Sam the strong, intelligent, capable, and inspiring woman we see today. And for that I am ever grateful to her.
          Hear, hear! You made some great points in your complete post but I'm focusing on your comments about Amanda "owning" Sam from the git-go and really taking the time to create such a wonderfully strong and endearing character. She has made us care about Sam Carter and that's no little thing! As some of TPTB have alluded - as the seasons progressed, more and more of Amanda started to shine through in Sam.

But Amanda learned from Sam as well and often talks about how certain attributes, such as being more outspoken and courageous, have been incorporated into her own life. And I remember being so impressed when I read that Amanda would literally make herself "walk in Sam's shoes" for a day ... reclaiming the physicality of Sam and the mannerisms after being on hiatus from shooting. So, as an actor, she's excellent at her craft and it shows onscreen.

We've tossed this around before and I'm sure we will again ... but, yes, AT has taken what's been given and turned some of the most mediocre moments or weak spots in a script into a fine performance. She often makes the writers look damn good! I think it's because she loves acting so much and has claimed this as her passion so that she makes herself work with and around every line of script, giving her usual 110%. For that, no one should fault her, let alone find reasons to criticize. Amanda is always "in the moment" - her presence fills the screen and it's such a joy to watch!

Comment

Dear Samandans !
            Your Royal Pharmacist is going to spend some quality time out of her pharmacy for the rest of the week.
            I'm going to travel to Provence (South of France) and meet one of our fellow Gateworlder.
            I'll be back next Monday. I'm not sure I'll be able to access internet before.
            ((((((Samandans))))))

Lys
            Kingdom of Samanda : Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
              i do have to agree that the writers do try. and most of the time they do just fine

they just need to leave the personal stuff to amanda...or at least listen to her when she protests.

i remmber AT talking about affinity and the ending and how she didnt like it, but had to do what cooper wanted. i understand why it made sense to have her accept pete's proposal at the stakeout. they were already there, cheaper and faster than setting up elsewhere...but sam the character was reamed from here until next sunday for her actions and behaviors and being unprofessional. and it's not sam's fault, it's not amanda's fault...in this case it was coop's

blame, such as it is, should go where it belongs

the character was sacrificed for convenience
              Let me offer the following up to you all and see if you can kinda follow my logic here.

In Grace, Sam talked herself into believing that she was ready for a white picket fence scenario on some level...which was a good thing because she finally removed the emotional block that stopped her from experiencing anything remotely close to the type of relationship her parents had. So finally she could consider the possibility of a husband, kids, etc...so she could live the most fulfilling life imaginable. At the end, her eyes were very expressive as she said "goodbye" in her mind to Jack. She was ready for a real relationship now with someone she could share her life and feelings with openly and he in return.

Enter Pete. Someone she was allowed to have feelings for...and Sam glommed onto the IDEA of Pete...an accessible guy who to some extent was at first a dumbed down version of Jack (he was attractive, he made her laugh and helped her not take life so seriously and he wouldn't know a quark if it bit him in the nose) except he was "allowed."

There were red flags of course, but Sam wanted that life she decided she was ready for and she set them aside in a very non-Sam-like fashion. She SHOULD have reamed him for barging in on the stakeout and doing a background check on her. But she was so happy he didn't die and still really wanted that ever elusive life, she gave it a pass.

Time passes...more and more moments with Jack who she's not allowed to care for that way...then Pete proposes. Sam balks because here it is. Her chance for "the life"...but something's not quite right. She even starts getting aggitated by the fact that society seems to expect that women get paired off with Mr. Right and that anything else is abnormal:

Sam: It’s bad enough being on your own without every TV show and commercial and magazine ad trying to tell you how abnormal it is...I mean, they make you afraid of being alone but at the same time tell you not to settle for anything less than the perfect romantic ideal, like that actually exists anywhere in the real world. I mean, either way you can’t win.

She waits weeks and is distracted...Jack picks up on it and calls her on it. He tries to be supportive because that's allowed, although his expressions give away more than he would have preferred. Sam works with Pete on something and sees he can handle the stress of her lifestyle and accepts the proposal...and even kissed him while on duty...very un-Sam-like...but this was the new Sam...the Sam willing to open up her heart and give herself a chance to experience the relationship her "father" told her she had every right to want to experience. So she kept hammering that square peg in...

More time passes...more doubts...and I'll betcha WAY more red flags that she ignores in pursuit of that ever elusive LIFE...And then Threads...and well, we know what happens there. "Dog?" "Ya think?" "Always"....

Let's face it. When it comes to figuring out her personal feelings, Sam's a blockhead. I mean it took her FOREVER FCOL...but at least she figured it out, right? And what did she figure out? That there's nothing wrong to having a life beyond the SGC, to have a fulfilling relationship with someone...it just has to be the RIGHT someone and not Mr. Standin.

Our Sam's a brilliant scientist and kickbutt soldier...but boy does she turn into a moron when it comes to her own personal life. Of course it makes her more real because it shows she isn't perfect after all. But these things just make me appreciate her more.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                Mr. Torrent is great for things not yet available...but Mr. Region Free is great for things that are available but only in certain Regions.

And you also don't have to worry about that little "copyright infringement" issue.

Comment

Let me offer the following up to you all and see if you can kinda follow my logic here.

In Grace, Sam talked herself into believing that she was ready for a white picket fence scenario on some level...which was a good thing because she finally removed the emotional block that stopped her from experiencing anything remotely close to the type of relationship her parents had. So finally she could consider the possibility of a husband, kids, etc...so she could live the most fulfilling life imaginable. At the end, her eyes were very expressive as she said "goodbye" in her mind to Jack. She was ready for a real relationship now with someone she could share her life and feelings with openly and he in return.

Enter Pete. Someone she was allowed to have feelings for...and Sam glommed onto the IDEA of Pete...an accessible guy who to some extent was at first a dumbed down version of Jack (he was attractive, he made her laugh and helped her not take life so seriously and he wouldn't know a quark if it bit him in the nose) except he was "allowed."

There were red flags of course, but Sam wanted that life she decided she was ready for and she set them aside in a very non-Sam-like fashion. She SHOULD have reamed him for barging in on the stakeout and doing a background check on her. But she was so happy he didn't die and still really wanted that ever elusive life, she gave it a pass.

Time passes...more and more moments with Jack who she's not allowed to care for that way...then Pete proposes. Sam balks because here it is. Her chance for "the life"...but something's not quite right. She even starts getting aggitated by the fact that society seems to expect that women get paired off with Mr. Right and that anything else is abnormal:

Sam: It’s bad enough being on your own without every TV show and commercial and magazine ad trying to tell you how abnormal it is...I mean, they make you afraid of being alone but at the same time tell you not to settle for anything less than the perfect romantic ideal, like that actually exists anywhere in the real world. I mean, either way you can’t win.

She waits weeks and is distracted...Jack picks up on it and calls her on it. He tries to be supportive because that's allowed, although his expressions give away more than he would have preferred. Sam works with Pete on something and sees he can handle the stress of her lifestyle and accepts the proposal...and even kissed him while on duty...very un-Sam-like...but this was the new Sam...the Sam willing to open up her heart and give herself a chance to experience the relationship her "father" told her she had every right to want to experience. So she kept hammering that square peg in...

More time passes...more doubts...and I'll betcha WAY more red flags that she ignores in pursuit of that ever elusive LIFE...And then Threads...and well, we know what happens there. "Dog?" "Ya think?" "Always"....

Let's face it. When it comes to figuring out her personal feelings, Sam's a blockhead. I mean it took her FOREVER FCOL...but at least she figured it out, right? And what did she figure out? That there's nothing wrong to having a life beyond the SGC, to have a fulfilling relationship with someone...it just has to be the RIGHT someone and not Mr. Standin.

Our Sam's a brilliant scientist and kickbutt soldier...but boy does she turn into a moron when it comes to her own personal life. Of course it makes her more real because it shows she isn't perfect after all. But these things just make me appreciate her more.
                  That is a very good assement. I'll have to say that I am one of those women that has spent a good amount of time on my career and always thought Mr. Right will be there when I was ready or he would come along eventually. I also know that you don't need a man in your life to be happy and there is nothing wrong with being single. I'm still considered young and "have plenty of time" as many keep telling me. Despite knowing all of this, I still think more often with each passing year about the white picket fence, 2.5 kids, etc. so I can see how super Sam fell in love with the idea rather than Pete. So I guess that is why I like the episode Grace so much. Affinity wasn't bad until the morning after. You are right it make the Sam character more real and allows some viewers to connect with that side of the character. Okay so now that I have shared more than any of you probably wanted to know about me.

Comment

I think the writers do deserve credit for their work and the way they have written Sam in the last 9 years. Granted, there were episodes where I thought, why the h... did they do that? That's just so not Sam. But I think part of the problem is that there is not only one writer coming up with the stories and developing the characters. All of them have different life experiences and all of them have different perspectives. Considering this, it is actually amazing, that the characters did develop the way they did.

Another thing that needs to be considered when it comes to TV shows is that you only have so much time to tell your story. Two-parters are okay from time to time, but I noticed it with the first 3 episodes this year, it doesn't work when it drags on for too long. As a result, they have to fit the story in a very tight timeframe, often to the detriment of story telling and character development. More than once did I hear that (a) scene(s) had to be cut out, which would have explained in more detail why a character did what he or she ended up doing.

However, it is true that writing the "soft" or "girly" side of Sam, whatever you want to call it, is really not the strongest point of the writers. Somebody said it's because they write Sam how they would like a woman to be or react in a certain situation, and I believe that is true. The strongest evidence on this point is Chimera. At first I was thrilled to get to know that side of Sam, but I was quickly disappointed, because it just did not fit the character. Dressing up, okay, that's one thing (wonder whose fantasy woman that was ), but Sam would have never acted that way. Same with the scene where Sam accepts Pete's proposal and later, when Sam dumps him. No way would Sam have done this.
                    I have to say, I was happy and relieved when I read that Amanda had her problems with those scenes herself. And it's simple to explain, no woman would have reacted that way.

So true. The writers come up with great stories, but they really should leave the feminine part of Sam to Amanda. Clearly, Amanda knows what she wants and where she wants to go with Sam. No matter who writes the stories, Amanda is the one who knows Sam the best and who has made Sam the soldier, scientist, and woman she is today.

For me it is clear: the reason why so many women admire Sam and can identify with her, is Amanda's hard work and dedication. When I read how much thought and love Amanda puts into this character, I am often overwhelmed. I never heard another actress or actor talk about their character the way Amanda does. Not only does she take the time to understand all the technobabble, but she also makes the effort of talking with TPTB to improve the character.
                    If TPTB would have gone on with the character the way it was written in COTG, we would not have the Sam today, we all have come to love.

Long story short: I think the writers do deserve credit for Sam and the stories, but Amanda has taken those stories and has made Sam the strong, intelligent, capable, and inspiring woman we see today. And for that I am ever grateful to her.

A great post, Dani76! I think you are right. It is a combination of some good writing (most of the time) and Amanda herself (all the time )that has made Sam a great character throughout all the seasons so far. I love how AT puts so much of herself into her acting. I never have seen her give less than 110% on screen. Even when she is in the background in a scene, she is still on and in character. A real professional and a great talent!

Comment

Originally posted by ann_sgcfan
                      That is a very good assement. I'll have to say that I am one of those women that has spent a good amount of time on my career and always thought Mr. Right will be there when I was ready or he would come along eventually. I also know that you don't need a man in your life to be happy and there is nothing wrong with being single. I'm still considered young and "have plenty of time" as many keep telling me. Despite knowing all of this, I still think more often with each passing year about the white picket fence, 2.5 kids, etc. so I can see how super Sam fell in love with the idea rather than Pete. So I guess that is why I like the episode Grace so much. Affinity wasn't bad until the morning after. You are right it make the Sam character more real and allows some viewers to connect with that side of the character. Okay so now that I have shared more than any of you probably wanted to know about me.
                      Sorry Ann...but see, I'm in the same boat...career driven, single, still young...so I relate so well to Sam (and now clearly you)

And you hit the nail on the head...Sam fell in love with the IDEA of Pete and the white picket fence...but when push came to shove, it has to be the right guy or it doesn't work (man can I relate to that too *cough*Michael Rose*cough*).

My point was that because Sam found herself chasing that ideal, she did very un-Sam-like things to meet that objective.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

I know it's silly...and there's a huge raging debate over this...but my burning question is "What the heck is your middle name and real birthdate???? And while your at it, spill the beans on the guys too."
                        my question(s) for sam?

spoilers for s7, s8, s9

Spoiler:

1 - why didn't you talk to jack about 'things' before you went out with pete?

2 - why didn't you dump pete when he ran a background check on you, followed you to a stakeout, and almost got you and your team killed?

3 - why didn't you dump pete after the events of jack getting frozen in the antarctic? (i believed you knew you were 'really' in love with jack by that time)

4 - did you get counseling after fifth scrambled your brain?

5 - why did you accept pete's proposal?

6 - why did it take you so long to dump pete, when you *knew* you were in love with jack (even if you weren't sure he was with you)?

7 - how did you start your conversation to pete when you broke up with him?

8 - are you and jack in a relationship now? if not, are you planning to?

sorry, non-shippers, but this is what *i'd* ask sam if i could.

sally
                        sally

sigpic

Comment

<some snippage for length>

Especially for that last paragraph.
                          Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
                          My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

Do you all realize that tomorrow is THE last day of voting in the Amanda Tapping contest???

My how time does fly! So vote tonight as it might be your last chance to do so!!!

http://www.theamandatappingcontest.tk/

Comment

My point was that because Sam found herself chasing that ideal, she did very un-Sam-like things to meet that objective.

Ah yes. Don't we all, and for those of you that haven't, consider yourself blessed. And we can remember back on that time with embarrassment and a whole load of knowledge/experience we wish we had before Mr. Standin came along. See Sam has now learnt that painful but important lesson.

Comment

Originally Posted by Dani76
                                <some snippage for length>

Originally posted by ShimmeringStar

Especially for that last paragraph.

Yes I agree. Can you imagine all the studying she has to do for her lines? That in and of itself should be an honorary degree. Can you imagine if she didn't study how dry or uninteresting it would come across. I'm sure some actors just say their lines and it comes across as stale. So you are right AT's input and development has brought more depth to the Sam character.

Comment

Working...
                                X