Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by majorsal
    if any sam fans want to come over and help on 'that' thread, come over now!

sally
    I went over.

I don't think I helped.

In fact, you can feel free to point all of your fingers at me, should the thread get closed soon...

*goes to find Strix's post on diplomacy*

Comment

Originally posted by ChevronSeven
      I was upset over that as well. I wrote to MGM to inform them of my distaste for omitting the 90-minute version. Not that it'll help on the matter, but it made me feel a tad bit better.

On another front...anybody have any idea when the new issue of the Stargate SG-1 magazine is due out? This will be my first subscribed issue and I can't wait to read the longer interview with Amanda!

I believe it is due at the end of this month--say like the last week of October? Me too, by the way---looking forward to this interview!!

And a big big thanks to Coley for reporting about the recent interview in Cult Times---great interview. I particularly like the part that season 10 sounds very possible, and that Amanda seems to be on board if it comes through.

Comment

Originally posted by ChevronSeven

On another front...anybody have any idea when the new issue of the Stargate SG-1 magazine is due out? This will be my first subscribed issue and I can't wait to read the longer interview with Amanda!

On the last page of the last issue it says "the gate reopens Oct. 18, 2005", so I would guess we'll be getting it within a couple of weeks. (in the US anyway.)

NC

Comment

[QUOTE=majorsal]oh, i soooo agree. and if they can't/won't, at least run the draft through their wives eyes first. i think if they had, we wouldn't have gotten pete-as-stalker like it was some kind of foreplay, and jack jr becoming a would-be pedophile. [QUOTE]

The Pete storyline is really the only storyline I actually really really disliked for Sam. It wasn't right on soooo many levels and to make matters worse, it did drag on waaaaay to long. Sam was way out of character on how they approached this whole thing.

But its' OVER, thank goodness!!

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc
            I really see what you are saying here. I do think the writers CAN write two strong females together---as they did with Sam and Janet (with a bit of help from the actresses themselves suggesting how these two women should interact with one another -- but at least the writers listened ).

I also think that Sam for much of the last nine seasons so far as been written well---when you look at Sam in the long run as a scientist and as a soldier and as a compassionate person and daughter. It's just that when bad writing does occur, it sticks out like a sore thumb, IMO!

And I actually think that all the characters have been written poorly at times. Teal'c this season, for example,---what happened! He is actually fairly boring and wallpapered so far, IMO, and what he did in Affinity was just ridiculous. Jack---geez---sometimes he acted like an idiot when it wasn't appropriate, and some of his responses to Sam in season 8 really bugged me---very little response actually at times. Daniel---well I'm not real happy with how Daniel has been written in season 9---I find him a bit insipid and sullen at times. Where is the wonder that is Daniel?!

All the characters have had their poorly written occasions to suffer through. So, why is Sam followed around with a dark cloud--and that cloud changes hue, but is still a dark cloud? Because of fandom, IMO. Because of the history of Daniel/Sam (MS/AT) and their lead status on the show. Because fandom is so split on the Sam/Jack issue and will always be no matter what the writers do. Because scifi/network or someone felt nervous about bringing BB in as nothing other than the SG1 leader, even though he really isn't the sole leader (and of course fandom reacts to that as it should).

Sam won't probably ever catch a break because AT, from the beginning of the show, showed that she could be equal to the Jack and Daniel characters. Sam will never catch a break because RDA and AT did have chemistry and the writers went with it, but then didn't know what to do. Sam will not catch a break because many many fans want to see her as leader of SG1, but their always will be a small vocal part of fandom who will never ever want to see AT/Sam as an equal lead (even though she is exactly this because of her talent).

It's not just the writing---Sam is central to the SG1 universe--always has been---and some just don't like it, but tough beans! She won't be written perfectly--she never will---but I don't think the male characters are either. But for nine years, for much of her actual airtime, Carter is seen as competent, strong, and well, brilliant, IMO.
            Choc, this is an excellent post and you make some very valid points. In the grand scheme of things ... all four characters have been badly managed at times but also all four of them continue on and on (ha, just like the Energizer Bunny!) ... I remember reading how TPTB were not keen on AT as the first choice for Sam Carter and it took a few episodes before they relaxed and realized that she was certainly the right actor to be playing that role! To AT's credit, she took the part and then managed to bring her own personality and know-how to the evolution of Sam into a three-dimensional woman who was quite different from the "usual suspects" seen in this kind of genre.

And, as you state so well, from Season 1, Carter became a contender, a heavyweight who was capable of holding her own against the two male leads. She added so much to the overall chemistry of the show. She grew beyond the early expectations and put her own classy signature on the character. I would never have continued watching Stargate if it weren't for Sam Carter in the first place! Amanda is the glue that held the show together for me. So I will continue to watch and hope that, somehow, she finally receives scripts that elevate her to a new level of attainment.
            Last edited by ChopinGal; 04 October 2005, 06:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
              LOL! I feel the same way. Just goes to shoe that male-dominated society has successfully turned "feminism" into a dirty word, though. What a shame.

As for Voyager, I think a lot of people did have problems with it because Janeway was a woman. One of many issues, perhaps...
              I had problems with it because of weak story lines, silly dialogue, and the annoying reset switch that meant that they never acknowledged what went before. And then the fact that to save the show they brought in someone wearing a costume so tight it reportedly caused her to faint on more than one occassion. I think anyone who says the problem was Janeway was missing all the other problems!

I know sometimes we get annoyed with the things that happen on Stargate, but you gotta admit..they acknowledge the past, they have strong storylines, and great dialogue, and when they tried to bring in the sexy alien, they actually listened to all the fans saying..come on guys? Sexism? Anyone? and got rid of her.

Feminism shouldn't be a dirty word. Although I will say I now prefer to use the word humanist, because (here at least) it has less scary overtones!

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                the battlefield is the 'Mitchell as leader' thread. and if you don't mind going around it circles, you're more than welcome onto the battlefield.

say no, save yourself!

sally
                *cough* Thanks for the warning Major Ma-am! I shall check it out and see if I can be of any assistance in furthering the noble cause of Carter...

Wowie. Even typing like this gets tiring...

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                  According to Amanda, she was in a room full of potential Sams...and they all auditioned...

And the person came out to give people the news. Whoever's name was called would have to leave. So she said she was standing there praying not to hear her name... LOL
                  Apparently the actress that played Jack's ex-wife in Cold Lazarus was one of the people who auditioned for Sam. They liked her, so they found her a part in the first season.

(See I keep telling ya it's fate )

Comment

Originally posted by SunKrux
                    I don't have just one question for Amanda, I have 10! These are the questions that James Lipton askes every guest he has on his show "Inside the Actor's Studio".
                    1- What's your favorite word?
                    2- What's your least favorite word?
                    3- What turns you on?
                    4- What turns you off?
                    5- What sound do you love?
                    6- What sound do you hate?
                    7- What is your favorite curse word?
                    8- What profession other than yours would you like to attempt?
                    9- What profession would you not like to participate in?
                    10- IF Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates?

I love asking actors and people in general these questions. If any one wants to answer them...go for it. I might give my answers later, if anyone wants me to. Unless it's not allowed in this thread.

Again, thanks to all who've given me green and made me feel so welcomed. You lot are pretty damn cool.
                    Wonderful idea, sunkrux! I wonder if we could ask Amanda to do a little dance or her favorite physical routine as Lipton often does with the actors too.

I think I may know AT's answer to #8. I remember reading an interview where she said that, if she didn't become an actor, she probably would have become a doctor and traveled the world with a humane organization such as Doctors Without Borders.

I'm going to make a note of your questions for GABIT! Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                      Choc, this is an excellent post and you make some very valid points. In the grand scheme of things ... all four characters have been badly managed at times but also all four of them continue on and on (ha, just like the Energizer Bunny!) ... I remember reading how TPTB were not keen on AT as the first choice for Sam Carter and it took a few episodes before they relaxed and realized that she was certainly the right actor to be playing that role! To AT's credit, she took the part and then managed to bring her own personality and know-how to the evolution of Sam into a three-dimensional woman who was quite different from the "usual suspects" seen in this kind of genre.

And, as you state so well, from Season 1, Carter became a contender, a heavyweight who was capable of holding her own against the two male leads. She added so much to the overall chemistry of the show. She grew beyond the early expectations and put her own classy signature on the character. I would never have continued watching Stargate if it weren't for Sam Carter in the first place! Amanda is the glue that held the show together for me. So I will continue to watch and hope that, somehow, she finally receives scripts that elevate her to a new level of attainment.

Same with me, ChopinGal. I also would not have continued to watch Stargate without Sam Carter--she is the glue for me too. We'll have to see on the scripts for the future, but I have to say that what AT has been given thus far, she has taken it to its fullest.

I guess I'm seeing the glass half full tonight. Maybe because of reading Coley's report on AT's interview where things seem to be going really well, and she believes that she and Ben Browder are working well together. I wondered if she would comment on their working relationship, and I'm not surprised that it is going well because BB seems to be a nice guy and a good actor.

And maybe I am one of the few here---but I think Sam was coming into her own in Prototype and The Fourth Horseman. Sam's entrance into the fold seemed rough at first--which made sense given AT's own experiences getting back to work and Sam leaving Area 51---but I see Sam as very relaxed, competent, confident, and focused in the last two episodes, and she just did what she wanted to do and felt needed to be done. Because I thought that in the last two episodes, I am hopeful for the second half. AT sounded more comfortable when interviewed during filming of second half episodes.

I'm glad she is doing so many interviews!

Comment

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn
                        Coley, that's the most lovely AT article I've heard about in some time. Thank you so much for sharing the highlights with us! How like her to be the only actor on the volleyball team! And that part about freezing the peas! Priceless!
                        yes, coley, thank you.

sally
                        sally

sigpic

Comment

Here's a question for AT:
                          Would you star in my documentary of next season's Stargate wrap party?
                          You didn't know I was doing a documentary? That's OK. Neither does SciFi.

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                            Choc, this is an excellent post and you make some very valid points. ... I remember reading how TPTB were not keen on AT as the first choice for Sam Carter and it took a few episodes before they relaxed and realized that she was certainly the right actor to be playing that role!
                            <<my snips>>

I recall on one of the early season DVDs Chris Judge or Michael Shanks saying that they auditioned with loads of others, but in the end, the casting people saw that the three of them (Amanda, Chris and Michael) seemed to have developed such an obvious rapport. And lo and behold when they met on the set or for readings they were all pleasantly surprised.

Just adding my yea to yours.

Just sayin'.
                            MISSION: STARGATE REWATCH 2011-2012 ENGAGED DONE!
                            sigpic
                            Beware Helen Magnus - Doctor of A$$-Kicking

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc

The Pete storyline is really the only storyline I actually really really disliked for Sam. It wasn't right on soooo many levels and to make matters worse, it did drag on waaaaay to long. Sam was way out of character on how they approached this whole thing.

But its' OVER, thank goodness!!

hear, hear!

or there, there.

or why, why?

but i agree.

sally
                              sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                                I can't verify any information regarding the dvd's having the shortened version of Threads on it, but I can confirm that according to Amazon my copy of the season 8 DVD's shipped yesterday and should be delivered by the end of the week.

As far making amends to this situation, I wouldn't count on it. MGM may have done so in the past, but from my personal experience with Sony I seriously doubt they will do the same. If anything they will put out another DVD with the 90 min version on it and charge us another $9.99.
                                Really?? I don't have the retail copy myself, but we've had a copy of the season 8 DVD masters in the studio for a few months now and our copy DOES have the 90 minute version on it. So unless someone changed it since August, it should have the longer version. I guess it's possible they changed it - but one really would have to wonder why. They aired the 90 minute version in most markets. It doesn't make sense to have put a truncated version on the DVD release. {sigh} And then we moan about folks downloading the episodes.

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                                ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Working...
                                X