No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I the only one wondering if Amanda was actually playing Beach Volleyball?

Comment

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn
      Coley, that's the most lovely AT article I've heard about in some time. Thank you so much for sharing the highlights with us! How like her to be the only actor on the volleyball team! And that part about freezing the peas! Priceless!
      I wonder if David Hewlett (McKay) was on the SA team that she beat! I'd love to see a film of that match!

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
        It was the second thing that crossed my mind. The first was that someone must have taken some photos at this party. They've got all these crew members blogging; well, we want photos!

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
          Yep, you're the only one ... I could be wrong ... Qasim and 1speed will have to speak for themselves.

Comment

That was a great article. I wish I thought of freezing peas in ice cubes while my son was starting solid foods.

Comment

Hi, Samanda! (*waves enthusiastically*)
              I've been away a few days. RL called loudly. I haven't been here or anywhere else I promised I'd be! I'm still catching up on all you've said in my absence, but I hope to be able to get back into the conversation before the night is over.

And by the way, I couldn't think of a better way to re-enter the kingdom than by quoting this lovely post. Couldn't green you, Mary Beth, but this is just a wonderful post!!!
              Welcome back, Royal Reporter! And, yes, Mary Beth's post to spaz is just lovely and really captures the spirit of Samanda! Good to have you back!

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                I wonder if David Hewlett (McKay) was on the SA team that she beat! I'd love to see a film of that match!
                No.....the article said AT was the only actor who played. The other players were crew!

Comment

Originally posted by ShimmeringStar
                  I agree. And it's such a supreme waste of a story arc that's just waiting to be exploited. All those years of development and maturation... the 'coming into her own' over so many years.... and it's hidden behind SGC doors or we're given the ever-briefest of glimpses of it...

as i said in the 'mitchell as leader' thread - all the character progression that sam had in season 9 (sam commanding sg1 and her and jack sorting out their feelings for one another) has been backpeddled to make her refit into their new show. it's like you wouldn't even know those things had happened to her last season. they were HUGE experiences for her.

*sigh*

sally
                  sally

sigpic

Comment

No.....the article said AT was the only actor who played. The other players were crew!
                    I interpreted that as the only actor on her team which was the SG1 cast/crew members. The other team was SA and maybe their actors were playing.

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                      As much as I would love seeing two strong female characters on the show, this would never happen because as we have read on other threads and forums, this would make Stargate a female dominated show and there are those fans who abhor that idea. Keep the testerone levels high for the guys, and the beefcake factor at a level to keep the women of the world satisfied because that is the only thing we really want to see anyway. God forbid we'd actually want to see something of substance.

I'm sorry, not having a good week and my bitterness levels are extremely high right now.

We should be so lucky to see Sam and Vala work together this season or next. But I'll hold my breathe for this as much as I will at seeing Sam in a truly positive light. The writers have dug themselves into a hole and I really don't see them digging themselves out on this one.

What bothers me more than anything is that the writers have used Sam as a punching bag for nine years now and I don't see it easing up any time soon. God bless Amanda for putting up with all of this for so many years. She's a far stronger woman than I would have been. First she has to deal with years of Sam/Daniel conflicts and Sam-Jack/Jack-Daniel conflicts, and now just as she finally gets rid of the shadow caused by RDA/Jack, she's forced to contend with new Sam/Vala issues and Sam/Mitchell leadership issues. The woman can't seem to catch a break. It's like the writers are purposely writing storylines in order to keep the fans tearing out each other's throats and Sam is always caught in the middle.

Why is it that the writers can't just let Sam be Sam without having her followed around by dark clouds?

I really see what you are saying here. I do think the writers CAN write two strong females together---as they did with Sam and Janet (with a bit of help from the actresses themselves suggesting how these two women should interact with one another -- but at least the writers listened ).

I also think that Sam for much of the last nine seasons so far as been written well---when you look at Sam in the long run as a scientist and as a soldier and as a compassionate person and daughter. It's just that when bad writing does occur, it sticks out like a sore thumb, IMO!

And I actually think that all the characters have been written poorly at times. Teal'c this season, for example,---what happened! He is actually fairly boring and wallpapered so far, IMO, and what he did in Affinity was just ridiculous. Jack---geez---sometimes he acted like an idiot when it wasn't appropriate, and some of his responses to Sam in season 8 really bugged me---very little response actually at times. Daniel---well I'm not real happy with how Daniel has been written in season 9---I find him a bit insipid and sullen at times. Where is the wonder that is Daniel?!

All the characters have had their poorly written occasions to suffer through. So, why is Sam followed around with a dark cloud--and that cloud changes hue, but is still a dark cloud? Because of fandom, IMO. Because of the history of Daniel/Sam (MS/AT) and their lead status on the show. Because fandom is so split on the Sam/Jack issue and will always be no matter what the writers do. Because scifi/network or someone felt nervous about bring BB in as nothing other than the SG1 leader, even though he really isn't the sole leader (and of course fandom reacts to that as it should).

Sam won't probably ever catch a break because AT, from the beginning of the show, showed that she could be equal to the Jack and Daniel characters. Sam will never catch a break because RDA and AT did have chemistry and the writers went with it, but then didn't know what to do. Sam will not catch a break because many many fans want to see her as leader of SG1, but there always will be a small vocal part of fandom who will never ever want to see AT/Sam as an equal lead (even though she is exactly this because of her talent).

It's not just the writing---Sam is central to the SG1 universe--always has been---and some just don't like it, but tough beans! She won't be written perfectly--she never will---but I don't think the male characters are either. But for nine years, for much of her actual airtime, Carter is seen as competent, strong, and well, brilliant, IMO.
                      Last edited by chocdoc; 04 October 2005, 06:35 PM.

Comment

I don't have just one question for Amanda, I have 10! These are the questions that James Lipton askes every guest he has on his show "Inside the Actor's Studio".
                        1- What's your favorite word?
                        2- What's your least favorite word?
                        3- What turns you on?
                        4- What turns you off?
                        5- What sound do you love?
                        6- What sound do you hate?
                        7- What is your favorite curse word?
                        8- What profession other than yours would you like to attempt?
                        9- What profession would you not like to participate in?
                        10- IF Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates?

I love asking actors and people in general these questions. If any one wants to answer them...go for it. I might give my answers later, if anyone wants me to. Unless it's not allowed in this thread.

Again, thanks to all who've given me green and made me feel so welcomed. You lot are pretty damn cool.
                        sigpic
                        I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by SamFan31
                          I picked up the S8 DVD box set today (Region 1) from a local retailer, raced home and played Threads. Unfortunately, Threads is the short version (42 minutes, 45 seconds according to my DVD player). Big bummer. Sorry for the bad news.
                          well, that ep was the main reason i *might* have bought that dvd, but now i don't have to worry.

another hit in my love affair with stargate sg1.

sally
                          sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                            i think part of the problem with the boys writign sam is, when she's in relationship mode they write her the way they WANT her to be, not the way she is.

sam in chimera and affinity was a man's version of how sam should be, now how sam really was

the 'real' sam woulda given pete crud for busting the stake out, or the 'real' sam would have not snogged pete at the stake out. she would have said yes later, somewhere else

but the character was sacrificed for the sake of the plot
                            And I agree with this, because to me AT should be the first point of contact when questioning whether the character would do something or not. And if she had disagreed with RCC, he better've had a DANG good reason for keeping it in. (And I don't really buy that she was OK with it after their conversation; I just think she was being nice.)

I just consider it creative courtesy for ANY actor, ya know?

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                              well, that ep was the main reason i *might* have bought that dvd, but now i don't have to worry.

another hit in my love affair with stargate sg1.

sally
                              I was upset over that as well. I wrote to MGM to inform them of my distaste for omitting the 90-minute version. Not that it'll help on the matter, but it made me feel a tad bit better.

On another front...anybody have any idea when the new issue of the Stargate SG-1 magazine is due out? This will be my first subscribed issue and I can't wait to read the longer interview with Amanda!
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Naeara

I wish those guys had just one female writer on staff (it doesn't even have to be a woman, just someone who understands how to write for a woman).
                                oh, i soooo agree. and if they can't/won't, at least run the draft through their wives eyes first. i think if they had, we wouldn't have gotten pete-as-stalker like it was some kind of foreplay, and jack jr becoming a would-be pedophile.

sally
                                sally

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X