Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by minigeek
    No, that's Sony. This is Gateworld, we don't do that here.

Welcome SunKrux! I'm pretty new here in 'Samanda' as well, but these are some of the nicest, most welcoming folks I've ever met online. Which likely has a lot to do with the fact that they're all fans of Amanda. Her graciousness is contageous!

Anyhow, it's very nice to virtually 'meet' you! I was saying earlier today on another forum how much I'd love to see some actual scenes between Carter and Vala. Both AT and CB are very talented actresses and I think the potential for Sam and Vala to become actual friends is off the map, so long as the writing is strong. Those two women could do phenomenal things for the SG-1 universe if they're on the same team.

Cheers!
    mini(off to slumberland)geek

As much as I would love seeing two strong female characters on the show, this would never happen because as we have read on other threads and forums, this would make Stargate a female dominated show and there are those fans who abhor that idea. Keep the testerone levels high for the guys, and the beefcake factor at a level to keep the women of the world satisfied because that is the only thing we really want to see anyway. God forbid we'd actually want to see something of substance.

I'm sorry, not having a good week and my bitterness levels are extremely high right now.

We should be so lucky to see Sam and Vala work together this season or next. But I'll hold my breathe for this as much as I will at seeing Sam in a truly positive light. The writers have dug themselves into a hole and I really don't see them digging themselves out on this one.

What bothers me more than anything is that the writers have used Sam as a punching bag for nine years now and I don't see it easing up any time soon. God bless Amanda for putting up with all of this for so many years. She's a far stronger woman than I would have been. First she has to deal with years of Sam/Daniel conflicts and Sam-Jack/Jack-Daniel conflicts, and now just as she finally gets rid of the shadow caused by RDA/Jack, she's forced to contend with new Sam/Vala issues and Sam/Mitchell leadership issues. The woman can't seem to catch a break. It's like the writers are purposely writing storylines in order to keep the fans tearing out each other's throats and Sam is always caught in the middle.

Why is it that the writers can't just let Sam be Sam without having her followed around by dark clouds?

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
      Okay, silly non-PC me ... but I can't resist:

Jack: Jeez Carter, the Head and Shoulders sure aint workin for ya. Anyone got a dust buster?
      Head and Shoulders - well known Brit dandruff treatment.
      Dust Buster - battery vacuum

Comment

Just a quick off topic question:

Has anyone here purchased or received the season 8 box set for region 1? There have been a couple of posts indicating that it contains only the shortened version of Threads. I was wondering if anyone here could confirm that.

If that is the case, does anyone think that Sony might come up with a way to amend the situation? I've heard stories of MGM replacing DVDs in the past and am wondering if that might happen now. Has anyone had any experience with their customer service department?

If you don't want to junk up the thread with this, then please PM me. Thanks for any help any of you could give.

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
          As much as I would love seeing two strong female characters on the show, this would never happen because as we have read on other threads and forums, this would make Stargate a female dominated show and there are those fans who abhor that idea. Keep the testerone levels high for the guys, and the beefcake factor at a level to keep the women of the world satisfied because that is the only thing we really want to see anyway. God forbid we'd actually want to see something of substance.

We should be so lucky to see Sam and Vala work together this season or next. But I'll hold my breathe for this as much as I will at seeing Sam in a truly positive light. The writers have dug themselves into a hole and I really don't see them digging themselves out on this one.
          Gets back to the question of whether or not Skiffy knows their demographic well enough. A fine-tuned bicep or a hint of the six-pack that might be lurking beneath the cammies is nice, but we like intelligent stories, we like things that go boom (as long as it's not gratuitous booming ), we like action... Ehmmmm... maybe it's more a matter they don't want to know... if the path of least resistance makes them a profit, guess they could care less about quality, integrity, and intelligence....
          I'm sorry, not having a good week and my bitterness levels are extremely high right now.
          (((Kat)))
          What bothers me more than anything is that the writers have used Sam as a punching bag for nine years now and I don't see it easing up any time soon.
          I agree. And it's such a supreme waste of a story arc that's just waiting to be exploited. All those years of development and maturation... the 'coming into her own' over so many years.... and it's hidden behind SGC doors or we're given the ever-briefest of glimpses of it...

I popped down for an hour and watched Solitudes again last night (Skiffy's Monday night marathon) and was struck by how AT played Sam... it was very clear Sam was still fresh and new and learning and unsure of herself.... a marked contrast to the woman who has hit her stride and made her mark professionally in these later seasons... Now if they'd just let her test that stride......

God bless Amanda for putting up with all of this for so many years. She's a far stronger woman than I would have been. First she has to deal with years of Sam/Daniel conflicts and Sam-Jack/Jack-Daniel conflicts, and now just as she finally gets rid of the shadow caused by RDA/Jack, she's forced to contend with new Sam/Vala issues and Sam/Mitchell leadership issues. The woman can't seem to catch a break. It's like the writers are purposely writing storylines in order to keep the fans tearing out each other's throats and Sam is always caught in the middle.

Why is it that the writers can't just let Sam be Sam without having her followed around by dark clouds?
          Sam (and AT): Strength in the face of adversity. (and courage, and compassion, and classiness, and all those other 'c' words...)
          Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
          My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

Managed to very quickly skim a new article in Cult TV Mag with AT.

Not too much to report. There were 3 more eps to film to the end of the season. She says it has just flown by.

She likes working with BB very much and thinks their screen characters are forming a nice bond (friendship) She loves the new show dynamic etc etc etc. She thinks she and Olivia have coped very well with the schedule.

One of her fave eps was Ripple Effect and she said it was great to work with JR and Teryl again

She says it will be nice to get some time at home but also hopes some work opportunity will come up (sounded as though she meant in between season 9 and 10). Sounds as though they are setting up for a season 10 and Amanda sounded as though she would be there if so.

The behind the scenes get togethers are still going strong with the cast and all the crew and they have just had a (I think it was) volleyball tournament between SG1 and Atlantis (2 teams each) The team Amanda was on got to the final and won the final over SGA. She was the only actor on the team.

She says she’s looking forward to doing stuff round the house and is currently freezing organic peas in ice cubes ready to boil and mush for when Olivia can take solids!!!!!!!

She mentioned GABIT and after GABIT she is going to the City of Bath (famous for its Roman Spa) and then seeing relatives in the south east.

Hope I haven’t missed anything!!

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
              Happy 400th Post to our Little Royal Page who has the Biggest Royal Heart!
              Indeed - welcome back deepspace
              gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
              so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
              love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by golfbooy
                Just a quick off topic question:

Has anyone here purchased or received the season 8 box set for region 1? There have been a couple of posts indicating that it contains only the shortened version of Threads. I was wondering if anyone here could confirm that.

If that is the case, does anyone think that Sony might come up with a way to amend the situation? I've heard stories of MGM replacing DVDs in the past and am wondering if that might happen now. Has anyone had any experience with their customer service department?

If you don't want to junk up the thread with this, then please PM me. Thanks for any help any of you could give.
                I can't verify any information regarding the dvd's having the shortened version of Threads on it, but I can confirm that according to Amazon my copy of the season 8 DVD's shipped yesterday and should be delivered by the end of the week.

As far making amends to this situation, I wouldn't count on it. MGM may have done so in the past, but from my personal experience with Sony I seriously doubt they will do the same. If anything they will put out another DVD with the 90 min version on it and charge us another $9.99.

Comment

It's just like them to air it once and if you didn't tape it, you're SOL. Other than emailing MGM/Sony and telling them how upset you are.

Fingers crossed that they're wrong. If Region 4 gets te 90min, then why can't we (or anyone else)?
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Coley
                    Managed to very quickly skim a new article in Cult TV Mag with AT.

Not too much to report. There were 3 more eps to film to the end of the season. She says it has just flown by.

She likes working with BB very much and thinks their screen characters are forming a nice bond (friendship) She loves the new show dynamic etc etc etc. She thinks she and Olivia have coped very well with the schedule.

One of her fave eps was Ripple Effect and she said it was great to work with JR and Teryl again

She says it will be nice to get some time at home but also hopes some work opportunity will come up (sounded as though she meant in between season 9 and 10). Sounds as though they are setting up for a season 10 and Amanda sounded as though she would be there if so.

The behind the scenes get togethers are still going strong with the cast and all the crew and they have just had a (I think it was) volleyball tournament between SG1 and Atlantis (2 teams each) The team Amanda was on got to the final and won the final over SGA. She was the only actor on the team.

She says she’s looking forward to doing stuff round the house and is currently freezing organic peas in ice cubes ready to boil and mush for when Olivia can take solids!!!!!!!

She mentioned GABIT and after GABIT she is going to the City of Bath (famous for its Roman Spa) and then seeing relatives in the south east.

Hope I haven’t missed anything!!
                    Wow, some great feedback! Thanks so much, Coley! Did the druggist ask you to purchase the magazine?!

It's good to hear that, since she hasn't been back to England in a long time, AT will try to make a mini-vacation of it and probably introduce Olivia to her cousins in Essex or thereabouts. I wonder why Bath ... have been there myself and it's a great tourist attraction. I also wonder if anyone will recognize Amanda while she's touring the countryside.

As to winning in volleyball - go, Amanda! At least she's kicking butt somewhere!

Comment

phew
                      extracated myself from mitchel as leader thread. What a waste of time!! A chap clearly stated a gender based view and repeated it time and time again and then claims it wasn't gender based. More amazingly a couple of people have defended him. They must have missed some of his post.

He said he didn't want a fem dominated show and it would be if Carter took lead of SG1. Then claimed after repeating this a few times that he meant character dominated. Won't admit he was darn unclear!!

Think I'll stay here for the next few nights

Anyway now I'm off to play with Hu!!

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                        I can't verify any information regarding the dvd's having the shortened version of Threads on it, but I can confirm that according to Amazon my copy of the season 8 DVD's shipped yesterday and should be delivered by the end of the week.

As far making amends to this situation, I wouldn't count on it. MGM may have done so in the past, but from my personal experience with Sony I seriously doubt they will do the same. If anything they will put out another DVD with the 90 min version on it and charge us another $9.99.
                        I picked up the S8 DVD box set today (Region 1) from a local retailer, raced home and played Threads. Unfortunately, Threads is the short version (42 minutes, 45 seconds according to my DVD player). Big bummer. Sorry for the bad news.

Comment

Originally posted by Coley
                          phew
                          extracated myself from mitchel as leader thread. What a waste of time!! A chap clearly stated a gender based view and repeated it time and time again and then claims it wasn't gender based. More amazingly a couple of people have defended him. They must have missed some of his post.

He said he didn't want a fem dominated show and it would be if Carter took lead of SG1. Then claimed after repeating this a few times that he meant character dominated. Won't admit he was darn unclear!!

Think I'll stay here for the next few nights

Anyway now I'm off to play with Hu!!
                          from what i've heard about this here, i find it amazing that in the year 2005 there are still people trying to drag the world back in time about 40 years.
                          just because star trek voyager sucked, doesn't mean it was because they had a girl in charge. star gate is a good show dammit, and a female team leader would be a good move all round. i'll settle for co leaders, but i think sam deserves it regardless of gender. she did it for the last freakin' year, and they didn't die once. except for daniel, but daniel always dies!

i am of course saying this with tongue firmly in cheeck mostly. but the sentiment stands. i apologise to all voyager fans and daniel fans, and i didn't mean to be insulting at all to anyone, those were clearly the jokey bits.

i wouldn't be surprised if some of this was stereotypical high school behaviour too, as in, well she's smart so she must be a geek so she can't do anything cool. or she's pretty so nobody could take her seriously as a team leader.
                          well RDA and Browder are hot too, and nobody has a problem with them dag nabbit. i hate it when sexist people make me go all feminist. it gives me the uncontollable urge to put on perfume and shave my armpits afterward. (i'll be back in half an hour)

Comment

Originally posted by SamFan31
                            I picked up the S8 DVD box set today (Region 1) from a local retailer, raced home and played Threads. Unfortunately, Threads is the short version (42 minutes, 45 seconds according to my DVD player). Big bummer. Sorry for the bad news.
                            that sucks. i hope the season 8 box set for region 2 has the full version, and commentaries. i'll be really disappointed if it doesn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Lys

If you could write and direct a Sam episode, how would it be ? What would be the ultimate Sam episode for you ?
                              That's a really good question.

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                                question for Amanda:

If she could go back and change one episode, or one scene from one episode, something that didn't quite go like she personally would have liked, what would it be and why?
                                Ooooo, that's a really interesting one, two.

Lots of good questions being posted. Y'all rock!

My LJ

Comment

Working...
                                X