No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The price of beauty and brains .... everyone hits on you ... even an ancient

Comment

OMG, rofl at the Grace Under Pressure stuff. Can't wait for that episode, I've always loved Sam/McKay stuff and Amanda and David both work great with each other
      Im not worried in the least about 'reducing Sam to a Sexy Fantasy'. If you wanted to go down that road, I could say the same thing about Grace and Jack being the 'sexy fantasy'. Grace Under Pressure looks like a fun episode thats going to be getting quite a few laughs out of me Plus its got Wet!Amanda. How could I not like that...

Just gonna put in my 2c on some other stuff while I'm at it:
      RE the leadership thing, I have no problem with it at the moment other than the fact that Mitchell looks kinda incompetant. But as far as Sam goes, I'm not worried about it all. The idea that Sam has been 'demoted' back to 2ic is kinda laughable, because quite frankly she's not playing second to Mitchell. She's hasn't been taking orders from him at all, and I will be very surprised if we see Mitchell having to make the 'hard command descisions' without Carter, Daniel or Teal'c around.
      And I know a few people have been annoyed that Sam hasn't been given full command of SG1, but I'm going to argue that SG1 as it is at the moment does not need a clearly defined leader. Its a 4 man team. 3 of which have literally been to hell and back together for 8 years. They probably understand and know how each other works better than most married couples. To me, saying that someone needs to be elected leader 'to make all the hard calls' is stupid because SG1 doesn't need that at all. They're such a well oiled machine that between Daniel, Carter and Teal'c they have all the decision making capabilities they need.
      IF SG1 was the size of say a squad or a platoon, then yes you would probably need a clearly defined leader. But needing a leader for 3 of the most expierenced field personal the SGC has is, simply put, ridiculous. Yes Mitchell may be 'SG1's leader on the official forms' but when it comes to doing the job, he's far from it. And Prototype especially reinforced that for me. Daniel not hesitating to call him up with the 'NEW GUY!' line and the fact that Carter was clearly doing her own thing. I'm happy with the way they've got the team set up. Now all we need is some team interaction!!!

RE Atlantis being unoriginal, well SG1 isnt entirely original either. Sure you can say 'oh look, SG1 did that back in season 2' but what about SG1 stealing the plot from other shows? I remember reading somewhere that if you take everything down the most basic plotlines there's only around 30 or so different stories you can tell. The trick is telling that basic story in a new way. And I think Atlantis has been good at that so far. Of course there's going to similarities to SG1 just like there's similiarities between SG1 and <insert TV show here>. But this isnt' really the place for discussions about Atlantis...

RE Landry and Lam and the Orlin thing - I don't get the impression that they were demeaning Sam's character at all in that scene. Both Landry and Lam weren't around when it happened, and in the case of Lam probably only got the 2 minute overview of what happened. I believe that they both were meaning a sexual relationship when Landry said 'intimate'. Because to the uninitiated thats what it was. 'Mind Sex' for the lack of a better word. And perhaps an interesting character moment for both Landry and Lam in that they both equate intimate with a sexual nature.

Bah, I guess I'm just hearing too much negativity on this thread
      I for one have enjoyed Season 9 so far, especially Sam. I know that alot of people have issues with certain things, but I want to hear more about the stuff that people do like. Where's all the fun and games gone from this thread!

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
        OMG, rofl at the Grace Under Pressure stuff. Can't wait for that episode, I've always loved Sam/McKay stuff and Amanda and David both work great with each other
        Im not worried in the least about 'reducing Sam to a Sexy Fantasy'. If you wanted to go down that road, I could say the same thing about Grace and Jack being the 'sexy fantasy'. Grace Under Pressure looks like a fun episode thats going to be getting quite a few laughs out of me Plus its got Wet!Amanda. How could I not like that...

RE the leadership thing, I have no problem with it at the moment other than the fact that Mitchell looks kinda incompetant. But as far as Sam goes, I'm not worried about it all. The idea that Sam has been 'demoted' back to 2ic is kinda laughable, because quite frankly she's not playing second to Mitchell. She's hasn't been taking orders from him at all, and I will be very surprised if we see Mitchell having to make the 'hard command descisions' without Carter, Daniel or Teal'c around.
        And I know a few people have been annoyed that Sam hasn't been given full command of SG1, but I'm going to argue that SG1 as it is at the moment does not need a clearly defined leader. Its a 4 man team. 3 of which have literally been to hell and back together for 8 years. They probably understand and know how each other works better than most married couples. To me, saying that someone needs to be elected leader 'to make all the hard calls' is stupid because SG1 doesn't need that at all. They're such a well oiled machine that between Daniel, Carter and Teal'c they have all the decision making capabilities they need.
        IF SG1 was the size of say a squad or a platoon, then yes you would probably need a clearly defined leader. But needing a leader for 3 of the most expierenced field personal the SGC has is, simply put, ridiculous. Yes Mitchell may be 'SG1's leader on the official forms' but when it comes to doing the job, he's far from it. And Prototype especially reinforced that for me. Daniel not hesitating to call him up with the 'NEW GUY!' line and the fact that Carter was clearly doing her own thing. I'm happy with the way they've got the team set up. Now all we need is some team interaction!!!

RE Atlantis being unoriginal, well SG1 isnt entirely original either. Sure you can say 'oh look, SG1 did that back in season 2' but what about SG1 stealing the plot from other shows? I remember reading somewhere that if you take everything down the most basic plotlines there's only around 30 or so different stories you can tell. The trick is telling that basic story in a new way. And I think Atlantis has been good at that so far. Of course there's going to similarities to SG1 just like there's similiarities between SG1 and <insert TV show here>. But this isnt' really the place for discussions about Atlantis...

RE Landry and Lam and the Orlin thing - I don't get the impression that they were demeaning Sam's character at all in that scene. Both Landry and Lam weren't around when it happened, and in the case of Lam probably only got the 2 minute overview of what happened. I believe that they both were meaning a sexual relationship when Landry said 'intimate'. Because to the uninitiated thats what it was. 'Mind Sex' for the lack of a better word. And perhaps an interesting character moment for both Landry and Lam in that they both equate intimate with a sexual nature.

I for one have enjoyed Season 9 so far, especially Sam. I know that alot of people have issues with certain things, but I want to hear more about the stuff that people do like. Where's all the fun and games gone from this thread!
        Hi I am new - but have been lurking
        The TPTB have had a lot to deal with - RDA leaving and at the same time that AT is having a baby. What bad luck on their part.
        AD I do agree with what you said and as far as TPHB as concerned - What to do - What to do.
        I still love Stargate SG-1 and like SGA

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
          you know, it is entirely possible that what sam saw in Pete was normality.

look at work, she's surrounded by testosterone all day long. she's surrounded by alpha males...who sometimes let thier, ahem, sidearms do teh talking

pete wasn't like that. he wasn't trying to macho out, he was just a guy.

i think she liked that. she liked taking the break from 'super stud' and pete was 'normal'...yet, because he was a cop, she felt that he'd 'get' her job. he'd understand the guns and the danger and the sucky hours.

i also think that she felt safe with him. he wasn't going to push her or try to boss her. then, what she didn't count on, was pete's determination to rebuild his life iwth her. i think that he was so on the rebound and wanted to be married again. which, i feel, is why he pushed so hard for the house and such.

unfortunatley, or fortunately, he did push too hard and she got skittish
          did you forget chimera, skydiver?

(i try to forget it all the time)

sally
          sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark

Nice post Agent Dark. Hopefully I managed to work out how to use that rep thingy.

Let's get back to talking about how awesome Sam is!
            PErsonally I'm really looking forward to seeing AT and David Hewlett bouncing off each other. That interaction is always worth a major giggle. And I think when they say sexual tension, they mean one sided sexual tension. Part of the fun of that interaction is McKay's hopeless adoration of Sam, and the fact that she's WAY out of his league ROFL!.

Plus, given that we were Sam-less for the first five episodes this season (and spare a thought for me, I haven't got anything since episode 4 of SG-1 yet, so I haven't seen any Sam at all yet!), it's good that we get this extra Sam episode. Especially when we know that it's going to be a fun Sam and McKay yelling at each other, and then somehow solving some really difficult problem, proving that in the end geeks are the best kind of people (SHUT-UP. IT'S TRUE. WE ARE ).

Comment

Comment

Yeah, guys, let's have some positive thoughts in this thread. It's not all bad, IMHO. Why don't we keep going with the list that deepspace started:
                Originally posted by deepspace
                Season 9 nightmares that never came true:
                1. Sam did not get Tokrafyed.
                2. Sam did not become a civilian (jckfan)
                3. She was off being head of R&D at Area 51 rather than doing something meaningless and trivial (strix)
                etc...
                I am glad that they are finally showing Sam's commanding abilities and show her in charge, even if it's not like we thought or wished it would be, it's still great to see her take control of a situation and being so good at it.
                And, like crazedturkey said, we get an extra hour of Sam with her being on Atlantis.

Hey, deepspace, do you think you can update the list when you come by next time??? Please, it's a great idea, we should keep it going.

P.S. Kat, I love the poster and the new sig. Great ideas.

Thank you, Skydiver

Comment

*Great* one, Kat! And then the results … Now that is courage!

2001 Outcome

Comment

Originally posted by Dani76
                    Yeah, guys, let's have some positive thoughts in this thread. It's not all bad, IMHO.
                    Yes, well said, POSITIVE. I'm so glad to have this thread, and I'm so glad we have had nine seasons of this show. Its really the only show I watch anymore!
                    If you immediately know the ep stinks, the writers were cooked a long time ago

Member of Gategrrlz Gone Wild
                    proud Shore Leave 28 Attendee
                    Naughty Shore Leave 29 Attendee (sorry all but thanks for the rescue. many many thanks)

Carmen Argenziano Appreciation

Comment

Originally posted by Dani76
                      Hey, deepspace, do you think you can update the list when you come by next time??? Please, it's a great idea, we should keep it going.
                      I was originally hoping that as people came up with suggestions they'd quote the list and add theirs, but as that wasn't how it worked out, I'll try my hardest to go back and find everyone's suggestions, ok .

I'm glad people liked the idea. Because when Sam's involved, there's always a positive side, nomatter what how much didn't go our way.

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Good one Kat! So true, too. Sam knew exactly how much that was gonna hurt!
                        Neat new sig too. Reminds me of the lowdown where Joe Flannigan pulls out his mobile and tells the camera that he gets coverage in Atlantis.

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

This is slightly offtopic some of you may have noticed that I have a rotating signature

You can set up your own by going to www.randomimage.net (thanks to O-Ra for finding this)

If you want a tutorial PM me
                          gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                          so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                          love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                            i too think it will be funny

for me, i'm enjoying atlantis a lot more than i am stargate this year
                            I'm finding that I've been enjoying Atlantis a lot. In some ways I think they currently have better storylines. It'll be interesting to see what season 2 is like. And how it will compare to season 9 of SG1.

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Originally posted by Qasim
                              This is slightly offtopic some of you may have noticed that I have a rotating signature

You can set up your own by going to www.randomimage.net (thanks to O-Ra for finding this)

If you want a tutorial PM me
                              AD and WFAR both have rotating sigs. Howcome I haven't noticed yours rotate??? Silly unobservant me .

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Originally posted by golfbooy
                                Oh, I don't have an issue with Sam being on Atlantis. That's not what I'm saying at all. I have a problem with Atlantis rather frequently stealing entire episodes from SG-1.
                                very true. we do have a lot of retreads..ahem, i mean homages

Originally posted by golfbooy
                                By the way, I just want to add that I entirely agree with your praise of Brad Wright. These have always been his shows, and he is still, by far, the best writer Stargate has ever seen.
                                yes, he is. brad gets to the heart of the characters. i personally see his fine hand in the reckoning/threds/moebius arc

he's a master at putting in those little character moments that i find so appealing. little looks, glances, phrases, etc. he's the heart of the show in that he can write ALL the characters well.

rob...rob tries. but rob, in my opinion, shows a definite preference for daniel and while he has a handle on that character, he doesn't on the otehrs, most especially sam and teal'c.

he also, again just my opinion, gets so caught up in the plot that he forgets the characters that are telling it. it's like he doesn't care and taht lack of care (most likely just preoccupation) shows on screen and it seems rather shallow. and since the show seems shallow, it doesn't touch my emotions so i find that i care less and less and it's not engaging.

and if my emotions aren't engaged, then i find myself just not as interested.
                                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X