Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great comments by everyone!! Spoilers below for Season 9:

My feeling so far is the scientist/soldier Sam is finally coming into her own in Prototype and The Fourth Horseman and I am very happy about that. I was concerned that we wouldn't see much of her in these two episodes, but it was the opposite. Sam is her competent brilliant self, coming up with solutions and working with the team. Ironically, Sam seems more of a leader and has more "command" presence so far this season than in season 8 when she was supposed to be the leader! I think TPTB copped out here, but maybe Scifi said, we need a new male lead and he has to be the leader. Ridiculous. So the writers are trying to walk a fine line here about what makes actual sense storywise and pleasing suits. Regardless of all of this, Sam is coming across as very competent and great at command that she is given.

I did not have a problem with Landry and Mitchell and how they react to her. It is a bit refreshing to have the Landry/Carter relationship be a bit unknown. It is clear to me that Landry and Mitchell respect her---almost all of Mitchell's interactions with her have been very respectful--he trusts her and defers to her expertize as he should. I think Landry's behavior toward her in the conference room is the way BBridges is playing Landry---he's more gruff and we really don't know him yet. He is not Hammond and I don't want him to be. I think Landry respects Sam but Hammond and Sam have a very different type relationship. Sam has to figure Landry out a bit, and I don't mind that. In most of their interactions, Landry clearly respects her and I think he did even if the scene in the conference room. It seems that the writers are trying to squeeze in "Jackisms' anywhere they can. They gave these jackisms to Landry and Mitchell in this scene and they really didn't need to because it doesn't work as well. (Often the writers have been giving Daniel Jackisms too---sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't). But overall, when I look at all of Landry/Sam and Mitchell/Sam interactions, I see respect.

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I really liked the Orlin/Sam interaction, and I think that part II is going to be interesting because Sam does care for Orlin and she sees what is happening to him. I think that AT and Bright played their scenes very well, and I don't think bringing up this personal side of Sam is at all hurting her character. I think this because Orlin has a legitimate place in the storyline. He is an Ancient, he did come to visit Sam before, he did love her, and now Earth is in trouble and he can help. This is more than personal for Sam---this is going to be her struggle for caring about Orlin and his health, and the issue of caring for the greater good and finding a cure. This struggle will be even more compelling because Orlin is in a child form. Orlin fits the story arc here, and Sam is a part of it. We've learned alot so far from Orlin about the Ori and this is important to the storyline. I loved the way AT protrayed being uncomfortable with Orlin professing his love again, yet she also really does care for him. And I don't think Sam is going to actually say anything to Orlin about her personal life---it would be inappropriate in that context and unnecessary. Also, I do think that Orlin and Sam did have an "intimate relationship" but not of the sexual kind--something beyond that--so intimate in a more spiritual sense. I don't think that "fact" negates Sam and Jack's interest in each other at all. Orlin/Sam and Jack/Sam are like apples and oranges---not even comparable. Now orlin is back and there is a good reason why he is back.

I also loved Sam and Dr. Lee. Dr. Lee sees Sam in a different way than anyone else and I think he is jealous of her (but not in a bad way). They are great together and I hope to see more of their interaction. It gives Sam a chance to be a little funny and you can see the science rivalry going on.

Comment

1st batch of 'Prototype' screencaps

gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
      so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
      love Torri

Comment

Batch no.2

gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
        so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
        love Torri

Comment

Some more:

love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
            <snip> OMGWTFBBQ?!?!? <snip>
            I need some help !
            Could anyone explain to me, poor french girl lost in this amount of capitalized letters which language our dear AD is actually speaking ?
            Kingdom of Samanda : Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

I think he is saying

Oh My God - What the F**k - BarBeQue
              love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc
                Great comments by everyone!! Spoilers below for Season 9:

My feeling so far is the scientist/soldier Sam is finally coming into her own in Prototype and The Fourth Horseman and I am very happy about that. I was concerned that we wouldn't see much of her in these two episodes, but it was the opposite. Sam is her competent brilliant self, coming up with solutions and working with the team. Ironically, Sam seems more of a leader and has more "command" presence so far this season than in season 8 when she was supposed to be the leader! I think TPTB copped out here, but maybe Scifi said, we need a new male lead and he has to be the leader. Ridiculous. So the writers are trying to walk a fine line here about what makes actual sense storywise and pleasing suits. Regardless of all of this, Sam is coming across as very competent and great at command that she is given.
                Amen.

But overall, when I look at all of Landry/Sam and Mitchell/Sam interactions, I see respect.
                Hmm, yes, overall. Something makes me uneasy about Landry's humor, though. I like him, but so far I'm wary, too.

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I really liked the Orlin/Sam interaction, and I think that part II is going to be interesting because Sam does care for Orlin and she sees what is happening to him. I
                I'm ok with them as well, and how Amanda played the scene with just the right amount of discomfort.

I loved the way AT protrayed being uncomfortable with Orlin professing his love again, yet she also really does care for him. Also, I do think that Orlin and Sam did have an "intimate relationship" but not of the sexual kind--something beyond that--so intimate in a more spiritual sense.
                Amen on this, too. Note how she couldn't even finish her food after Orlin's remarks about his feelings! I did take issue with Landry and Lam's comments implying a sexual relationship, which if it was (and agree with you it wasn't), was not appropriate to the situation. But that's been explored already on several takes.

I also loved Sam and Dr. Lee. Dr. Lee sees Sam in a different way than anyone else and I think he is jealous of her (but not in a bad way). They are great together and I hope to see more of their interaction. It gives Sam a chance to be a little funny and you can see the science rivalry going on.
                Umm, well. I don't see Dr. Lee as necessary unless its as you say for comic value. I do like your thought that he may be somewhat competitive with her, but eh, IMO.

Just sayin'.
                Last edited by Traveler Enroute1; 18 September 2005, 03:14 PM.
                MISSION: STARGATE REWATCH 2011-2012 ENGAGED DONE!
                sigpic
                Beware Helen Magnus - Doctor of A$$-Kicking

Comment

Last batch from 'Prototype'

Will post '4th Horseman Part 1' later
                  love Torri

Comment

I rewatched Deadman's Switch tonight. Not a very Samcentric ep but I still enjoyed some scenes with her in it.
                    This is my very first attempt at screenshots of any kind, so please forgive how rough they are.
                    Astro should be here, screencaps were her specialty.

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Originally posted by deepspace
                      I rewatched Deadman's Switch tonight. Not a very Samcentric ep but I still enjoyed some scenes with her in it.
                      This is my very first attempt at screenshots of any kind, so please forgive how rough they are.
                      Astro should be here, screencaps were her specialty.

http://photobucket.com/albums/y218/d...r/b4c063ff.jpg
                      I use BSplayer to make my screencaps just press 'P' on your keyboard

Heres a tutorial
                      love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                        Things will smooth out just fine just as soon as he reinstates Carter officially to lead SG-1 instead of Mr. "I'm cute, but I don't have a clue"...

ROTFLMAO!!!
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
                          Also, after Prototype/TFH, I can kinda understand what AT meant by not wanting to be Exposition Girl. While the title is cute and all, seeing Sam with her "Carter Special" is cooler. I enjoyed seeing Scientist!Sam, but I'd imagine that being Exposition Girl, while the guys are off somewhere else, might be annoying.

Also, when it comes to the command issue NEVER being addressed... Do you think the order might have come down from as high as SciFi? Maybe they realized how crazy it can get around here and silenced everyone (I know that sounds creepy, but...). I ask because the execs were there during the con on the 15th of July. Looking back, while it's nice that they came so they could see hardcore fans' reactions first hand, I wonder what their OTHER motives for being there were.

They're not stupid, and I wouldn't be surprised if there were PAID positions (for poor college students, of course) that involved traversing this forum and others on a regular basis for analysis. If there is such a position out there, I'm DEFINITELY in the wrong line of work.

Anyway, I'm wondering how much we can blame TPTB for this. SciFi have shown that they can be kinda... wacko... when it comes to dealing with fans.
                          You know your point about exposition girl reminded me that throughout these 2 eps I kept asking my same question - what is Mitchell's purpose - well I think I have it figured -

1- he's the character they are willing to sacrifice to incompetence in order to move the plot along; and

2 - he's exposition guy. I thought a few times in these 2 eps - gee it's good someone was there to say that so I would understand what was going on (I also thought at some points gee - I'm not that stupid is that all they can come up with for Mitchell to contribute). In this case it happens to be Mitchell who is exposition boy, but really it could be anyone saying his lines, but if this is how they want to use Mitchell in addition to the sacrificial lamb thing than so be it - it's their money they seem to have no trouble wasting);

3 - as others have said to try and justify Mitchell's lack of purpose - "well Jack stood around doing nothing and Mitchell is replacing Jack" so obviously, if you believe that Jack stood around doing nothing, which I don't, than that makes it okay for Mitchell to do the same - what a crock. Apparently TPTB and others, including fans of BB, have insisted that Mitchell is not like Jack, I find it amusing that others will use the lame excuse above to justify Mitchell's lack of substantive contribution to the show or the team.

Comment

The 4th Horseman

love Torri

Comment

love Torri

Comment

love Torri

Comment

Working...
                                X