Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
    Or maybe most of you all don't share my irritation here...

But this is for me an incredibly sore point because it was my mental line...that I wouldn't have a problem with a star from Farscape joining the cast as long as he did not get command of SG-1.

And here we are halfway through the season with mixed signals from TPTB and irritating reminders on screen that so far what they said would happen...HASN'T.

They should have either made him come in as someone with gate experience (who perhaps led another team) as a full Colonel who never expected to serve under Sam, or they should have made him a Major who ws clearly outranked by Carter...but this "kinda subservient, but kinda leading, but not really" attitude is just horrible in its implementation.

Please tell me that there are a few others that are as irked about the way this is going as I am.

Ohhh I'm irked as well and I have just written my last post in THAT thread. Since LS feels compelled to tell me I should not state my opionion as fact (which I try very hard not to do by using IMO quite a bit but maybe he does not know what that means) I had a little fun with him as my going away present. Can't wait to see if he replies but I'm tired of him and I have given up on that one.

Last night Über, I said I had a long post working for THAT thread but I got caught up earlier today and started posting and did not get to post my really long one. I still may post it but on the episode threads - I have not decided yet. I have one for P and one for 4HM.

Comment

Originally posted by Simhavaktra
      One rant deserve another, I say.
      big snippage to save space but l I can say is WOW, great post with great points and well thought out. The whole time I was reading it I kept going yeah, and yeah that too, etc. This would be great in THAT thread if you are so inclined but THAT thread is aggravating and LS would probably go apoplectic if he read this.

Comment

Mention of technobabble put me in mind of one thing I definitely didn’t like about The Fourth Horsemen 1 last night.
        Spoiler:
        Namely Landry and Mitchell going on about how Sam’s proposal was making them feel like they had aneurisms, general brain pain, et cetera. (grow up, boys)

Regardless of what was in the proposal, what Sam actually said was very easy to follow, and Landry’s and Mitchell’s reactions came across as them trying to get back some of their own perceived self image and worth by insisting that they and their personal opinions and reactions be acknowledged and addressed in a situation that wasn’t about them at all. And that was – weird. Why would the fact that Sam is brilliant and creative, which both of them had to know before, and, indeed, is why she’s back at Stargate Command, pull such a childish reaction from two senior officers? Even Jack would just cut the technobabble off and demand the bottom line, without complaining about how the technobabble gave him a psychosomatic inadequacy headache. And, I don’t think Hammond ever felt the need to understand Sam’s proposals to the last comma – he wanted to know what she thought would come of the proposal, and/or accomplishing it, how she’d go about accomplishing it and the odds of success, and what all of that would mean to his base, his people, and his cause. Both Landry and Mitchell seemed to feel the need to inject themselves into the proposal, as if their reactions somehow had to be given weight, and Sam had to validate them and their reactions, not just in order to gain their approval, but, as part of business as usual and the way things are. It was as if they merited the chance to complain that she made their heads hurt.

I know the scene was supposed to be funny, but, instead, I found it grating and insulting. Can’t Sam and her abilities be respected without other people needing to resort to these sophomoric maneuvers to get the attention and validation they seem to crave? Or is that supposed to be the normal and accepted reaction to subject matter that’s difficult to comprehend in a top military command – whining that it’s too hard? Or are scientists so uncool that they’re supposed to expect to be well apprised of any unseemly intelligence before they’re given the go ahead to continue their research? Or am I supposed to take it that both the general and the other lieutenant colonel are that insecure?

Sam handled the situation with poise, intelligence, professionalism and enthusiasm, and maybe an SGC commander has to see her save the world a couple times before he'll take the beautiful blonde seriously, but I can see why she might want to go back to R&D if this’s the kind of nonsense her proposals will be met with under the current command structure of the SGC.
        ...a very cranky blog:http://simhavaktra.blogspot.com/

Comment

One rant deserve another, I say.

Professional, master-class, practicing cynic that I am I think that Mitchell brings something to the show that TPTB apparently find it necessary for Stargate to have. However, he does not, I think, bring something to the team, SG-1, and/or its functionality or effectiveness/efficiency in performing that functionality, that’s necessary, or even needed. But, I do think he does bring something to the show that TPTB found necessary. And what he brings is a plot device.
          <<my snips>>

Awesome analysis. Have two greens on me (I must have repped you earlier, the system won't let me do it now).

I like Cameron, but he is a work in progress. The only glimpse of his possible role on the team was in Babylon spoilers ahead:
          Spoiler:
          : Cam's persistent logical arguments against the Ori and his willingness to undertake grueling Sodan training seems to be a talent the PTB/writers aim to develop, esp since his approach worked.

But you put even my humble opinion to the test of reason, evidence and just plain common sense. Kudos.

Just sayin'.
          MISSION: STARGATE REWATCH 2011-2012 ENGAGED DONE!
          sigpic
          Beware Helen Magnus - Doctor of A$$-Kicking

Comment

I watched Prototype and The Four Horsemen, Part 1, and i really enjoyed both of them.

Prototype - I was really not expecting much from this, i thought going into it that sam would probably be non-existant, but she had great parts in it, and overall i thought it was really good, Had a team episode feel - everyone had a good part and it was great to see Robert Picardo - 8.5/10

The Four Horsemen, Part 1 - I was hoping that this would be a great episode, and though it was not suberb, it was still great in my opinion, probably one of the highlights of this season. I thought the kid playing Orlin was good, and it made for a rather interesting dynamic between Orlin and Sam, but i really missed SPF. Amanda was great in this episode as usual and Orlin being a kid and Sam - with their past history in mind, there was no real wierdness, which i thought there would be. I look forward to Part 2 - 9/10

Season 9 probably has not been as good as the others seasons, save Season 1, definately not as good when sam was MIA. But the show just jumped back to near: Though not quite there yet quality-wise as previous seasons when she came back, i miss the Goa'uld and the Replicators, and old friends, long gone. The Ori - though interesting are still not anywhere near as great as the Goa'uld were. I like the Ori as baddies but they are not a patch on the Goa'uld.

Another thing i keep noticing this season is how in charge sam seems to be, even though she is apparently not "SG1 Leader", she is commanding and seemingly in charge now more than ever before, hope that keeps up, because if i ever hear sam call Mitchell Sir i will go Apophis on their @*@*

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
              Why, oh why, oh why would Cameron think that he could just go hitting buttons on a panel that he couldn't hope to decipher? Looking for a dang light switch? Wha?!?! Yes, Daniel hit stuff too, but he could actually READ it. Again, this could be categorized as an "honest mistake" on Cam's part, but I'm not so sure I buy that. What happened to the "no touchy-touchy rule?" If they had just waited a bit, Daniel would have figured out WHO and WHAT they were dealing with, and they would have been able to move on accordingly.
              Just dumb…..luck! Yes, LUCK! That’s what I meant to say. Sure it was!
              I liked the actor who played Nuby Jr. Not only was he Jude Law-esque, but he was also just so incredibly sinister. It's a shame he died so soon. Dang. Hey, maybe HE found some cloning technology!
              Well, ya know, the ep was called Prototype. Maybe
              Spoiler:
              there’s another “son of Anubis” in another lab somewhere!

Robert Picardo and Michael Shanks also did well in this episode. From start to finish, "Dick" provided the perfect opportunity for us to see how idiotic the government was being - like Sam said, he honestly believed his own spin. By the end of the episode, he was once again questioning his position and his beliefs.
              From China Beach to The Wonder Years to Voyager, I have always really enjoyed Robert Picardo’s work. He’s like an “everyman”…..and I was glad to see him land a role that will always be part of the Stargate universe.
              Originally posted by THE BIG UNIT
              Another thing i keep noticing this season is how in charge sam seems to be, even though she is apparently not "SG1 Leader", she is commanding and seemingly in charge now more than ever before, hope that keeps up, because if i ever hear sam call Mitchell Sir i will go Apophis on their @*@*
              That’s what keeps throwing me off too….and wondering what they might do next. And on the last sentence {“sir”), I think you’ve spoken for all of us there!
              Well then, TPTB need to explain their previous statements which inferred Mitchell was only the temporary leader of SG-1 and that Sam would get command back.
              JUST TELL US. They could make life oh so much easier if they fess up or clue us in one way or the other.
              Sheesh.
              Well, that “just tell us” thing is a recurring issue between us and TPTB, isn’t it? Whether it’s leadership, THE ship, where Jack has gone, etc., they just like to keep us guessing.

Wait! I’ve just had an epiphany! We’re experiencing ULI (Unresolved Leadership Issues)!!! Apparently, TPTB have decided that ULI is a better draw than RLI! Of course! Why didn’t I figure it out sooner?

Comment

Where is everyone? Europe? Australia? No one has posted here in an hour and a half. We were almost on the second page! So.....

middle of the night bump!

Comment

Ok.....since I'm the only one here.....I think I'll try to fulfill ForeverSG1's request from the other day, and share some of my fave Sam pix for whatever project she's preparing.

Action Sam:

Last edited by sg-1fanintn; 17 September 2005, 10:54 PM.

Comment

Scientist Sam:

Last edited by sg-1fanintn; 17 September 2005, 10:34 PM.

Comment

Mention of technobabble put me in mind of one thing I definitely didn’t like about The Fourth Horsemen 1 last night.
                      Spoiler:
                      Namely Landry and Mitchell going on about how Sam’s proposal was making them feel like they had aneurisms, general brain pain, et cetera. (grow up, boys)

Regardless of what was in the proposal, what Sam actually said was very easy to follow, and Landry’s and Mitchell’s reactions came across as them trying to get back some of their own perceived self image and worth by insisting that they and their personal opinions and reactions be acknowledged and addressed in a situation that wasn’t about them at all. And that was – weird. Why would the fact that Sam is brilliant and creative, which both of them had to know before, and, indeed, is why she’s back at Stargate Command, pull such a childish reaction from two senior officers? Even Jack would just cut the technobabble off and demand the bottom line, without complaining about how the technobabble gave him a psychosomatic inadequacy headache. And, I don’t think Hammond ever felt the need to understand Sam’s proposals to the last comma – he wanted to know what she thought would come of the proposal, and/or accomplishing it, how she’d go about accomplishing it and the odds of success, and what all of that would mean to his base, his people, and his cause. Both Landry and Mitchell seemed to feel the need to inject themselves into the proposal, as if their reactions somehow had to be given weight, and Sam had to validate them and their reactions, not just in order to gain their approval, but, as part of business as usual and the way things are. It was as if they merited the chance to complain that she made their heads hurt.

I know the scene was supposed to be funny, but, instead, I found it grating and insulting. Can’t Sam and her abilities be respected without other people needing to resort to these sophomoric maneuvers to get the attention and validation they seem to crave? Or is that supposed to be the normal and accepted reaction to subject matter that’s difficult to comprehend in a top military command – whining that it’s too hard? Or are scientists so uncool that they’re supposed to expect to be well apprised of any unseemly intelligence before they’re given the go ahead to continue their research? Or am I supposed to take it that both the general and the other lieutenant colonel are that insecure?

Sam handled the situation with poise, intelligence, professionalism and enthusiasm, and maybe an SGC commander has to see her save the world a couple times before he'll take the beautiful blonde seriously, but I can see why she might want to go back to R&D if this’s the kind of nonsense her proposals will be met with under the current command structure of the SGC.
                      Thanks for mentioning this. It's so nice to have so many people effortlessly poking at the fire of my passion.

First off, you guys have sold me on the funniness of AT/Sam Carter. It wasn't that hard. I'm not gonna lie: Though I was practically seething at CERTAIN aspects of the show, I did laugh/chuckle/snicker/smile at the appropriate times. I've had 24 hours to gain some perspective.

That being said (or clarified), that briefing room scene bugged me, too. I know, I know, "that dancer of spaz chick gets bugged REALLY easily!"

I know!

Spoiler:
                      But there's something just a bit wrong with Cam and ESPECIALLY Landry making fun of her. When it was Jack and Hammond making snide comments, it was always said with years of friendship behind it.

When Landry said it, AT FIRST, I was smiling, but by the time she was done explaining it to him, her "I don't think he was all that impressed" at the end pretty much said it all. And Cam's "You shoulda said blah-blah-blah, guns go boom," irked me, too.

In the past, when Daniel and Sam had something to say that included more than three minutes of dialogue, it was always for a reason. Jack would make his stupid comments, but you always knew that he wasn't being a complete ass about it. Now... I'm still not so sure about Cameron. I know he and Sam are supposed to be friends, and I certainly was expecting that interaction. So far, I think they've delivered. I still cringe when I watch that scene though.

I just don't think that Landry is "all that impressed" with Sam yet, now that I think about it - despite all that he spouted to Jack in "Beachhead." Though I'd REALLY like to be wrong about that.

I REALLY like Landry a LOT now, but I'm still hoping that the second half of the season smooths out those edges between him and three members of SG-1. Daniel and Teal'c also seem to be rather good targets for his impatience and ire.

Comment

Things will smooth out just fine just as soon as he reinstates Carter officially to lead SG-1 instead of Mr. "I'm cute, but I don't have a clue"...

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Does anybody know some funny scenes from Major Carter ??
                          Lord Zedd

Comment

Oh, good! Some of you guys are back now. I can go to bed! Nighty-night!

Comment

Things will smooth out just fine just as soon as he reinstates Carter officially to lead SG-1 instead of Mr. "I'm cute, but I don't have a clue"...

See, now coming from a Farscape fan this says a lot to me.

Comment

The briefing room scene was a bit strange, how can you not be impressed with Sam Carter!?

Comment

Working...
                                X