No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey y'all I've read in the GW Forums that (in the part Stargate News I think) there's a new Interview with Amanda! So, for makin' it easy for y'all I copied the link:

http://www.visimag.com/tvzone/t194_feat02.htm

Remember, the news wasn't post ORIginally by me.

Thank you Ambermoon for the sigs!

Comment

ican ask monique about the pendants. i honestly haven't seen her for a while. she and her hubby run the local comic store and since i stopped reading comics about 5 years ago, i haven't really seen her.

i THINK, when she first started making the pendants they were $75 for a plain one and $95 for a gemmed one. (they are a solid ounce of silver and quite heavy)

I know that that may be a factor for some. I could keep looking, i think there was someone at gatecon two years ago that was also selling jewelry

as to the eps, well good points and bad points. it was great to see sam more a part, however some elements of the eps were so predicitble and cliche. I think the only part that caught my by surprise was gerak's fate at the end

anyone else notice something. i'm not sure if it's because AT working a bit less or maybe a creative choice, but do you notice how often sam is off alone? the three boys do things, such as in the beginning of prototype. the boys go down and sam is left alone on the surface.

dude, jack SO would not have done that. they always broke up in 2's not 3 and 1.

that one person that's off alone is so vulnerable.

and maybe that's what's seeming to me to be a lack of team, that fact that it's now boys vs girls with sam seeming to always be the odd woman out

am i just being sensitive or is anyone else seeing it?
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
        Spoiler:

Strike 2, 3, 4, 5 & 6: Someone - everyone - brought up Sam and Orlin's "intimate relationship." Twice. Three times.

I gotta tell ya, my blood pressure was so high after that scene with Sam, Lam and Landry in the observation room, that I literally had to rewind the following scenes a couple of times to fully get over it. You may think I'm kidding, but know that I'm not.

that threw me. complete, utterly threw me.

rant time - spoilers for fourth horseman

Spoiler:
        it was implied that sam and orlin had been *sexually* intimate in s5's ascension? because that's how that was acted/reacted.

landry - 'according to your mission report on your first encounter with orlin, you two had an... intimate relationship?'

sam fumbles and says 'uh, well, we did, but he didn't look like that. he was --'

lam interrupts 'taller?'

sam responds 'he was a grown man'

so, what did i miss in ascension? or, because sean wasn't available, and they couldn't do up-to-date sam/orlin ship, they rewrote ascension's history to make it like sam and orlin *had* been sexually intimate???

this depressed me to no end. this is totally me reacting as a shipper.

damn them.

sally
        sally

sigpic

Comment

SPOILERS FOR Fourth Horseman 1:

Now see...I thought the stuff about Orlin was funny.

First with Landry and Lam then with just Sam and Orlin while eating.

It was delightfully awkward and Amanda played it with such humor and finesse...I was laughing out loud at it. And people have been saying what a bad actor the kid was (not really here but elsewhere)...they need to rewatch Ascension. SPF deliberately played it monotone...almost deadpan...as a way to show his "other-worldliness" (just in case the glowing wasn't a big enough clue).

It was so nice to see more Sam last night. THAT felt like SG-1.

Now if JM would answer the ONE question that's making me chomp at the bit (that I've posted here so many times you could quote it by heart)...I'd be a little more at peace...

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

I thought the kid sounded exactly like Orlin played by SPF sounded, so I figured he did it on purpose. Sam and Orlin were "close" so I figured they had to deal with it. But I thought that Landry\Lam brought it up was a bit inappropriate. The cafeteria conversation was almost a necessity though.

Again at the beginnig of prototype. Cam is definity "sg-1 leader" but it was odd because Sam was the one giving all the orders. I guess thats because Landry put her in charge of SG-5 (which I guess means she the USAF thinks she does have leadership abilities) but still it was... odd. Daniel scolding Mitchell was funny.

I thought everyone did a good job in both of these eps. Thats why I like these better then the others this season. These two definitly seemed like team eps, with everyone getting a chance to contribute.
            Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by Lys
              The more I think about it, the more I think TPTB used Cam as the leader because they didn't think of anything special with him. See, Sam had all the Jolinar arc, she's got naquadah in her blood, Jack has the Ancient gene, Daniel has the whole ascension storyline, Teal'c, because he's a Jaffa knows almost everything about the Goa'uld and even Jonas had this photographic memory. They all have something special and that's what Cam lacks so far. His character is good, but he would work better as a team leader in a season 2 context, in season 9, it doesn't work so nicely. I guess they didn't know what to do with him apart from being the "hero". I'd really like to see what he can bring to the team. So far, I like him but I'm wondering sometimes what is he doing on SG1 ?
              [Rant]
              I think you are right. Unfortunately, it seems that a lot of people still think that a TV show needs a male lead and that's why they brought BB in. There are other TV shows out there that work just fine with a female lead, but I guess TPTB think that they are better off with a male lead. Maybe it's because that's how they have always done it, with RDA being the lead of the show, but I don't think that it was a wise decision to just bring in a new character and make him the lead of a show that has been running for 8 years without him.

Like many of you said, Mitchell just doesn't bring anything to the show that was necessary, at least not so far. I really want to like the character, and if it's just to have harmony in the show and great believeable team interaction, but it somehow does not work for me. I did like him at times, but more often he is just annoying me. I guess, there are many factors playing into this.

First of all, it's just not realistic. You have two officers with the same rank, one of them, Sam, having 8 years of experience with stargate travel. Why, if both have the same USAF qualifications, pick the one with less experience in stargate travel? That does not make any sense to me. Now, if they had made Mitchell a higher ranking officer who had been leading another SG team prior to now, I could probably better relate to it. That doesn't mean that I would like it, but it would be more realistic. They could have shown something like earlier in the show, when they put a higher ranking officer in command. They showed how Daniel and Teal'c objected because they thought that Sam was entitled to the lead and then Sam accepting it. At least then there would be some explanation.

Secondly, if you want a leader-type character make him believeable as a leader. They have not done that with Mitchell. Whether it's his stupid little mistakes that an experienced officer would simply not make, no matter if it's off-world or not, or whether it's his smart-@ss comments and arrogance or his "way-too-relaxed" combat manners, it simply does not work for me. And I don't think that it's necessarily BB who is bringing that to the character. Yeah, he is bringing that character to life through his acting, but I think it's the writers who make him come across the way he is.

Finally, I agree that it might be necessary for plot reasons to have somebody else be the lead rather than Sam, so that she can concentrate on all the scientific problems and challenges and fixing everything and saving the world. After all, it's a team show, and maybe they were afraid that if they make Sam the leader on top of everything else she does, it would concentrate too much on her. But, come on, do it in a more believeable way.
              I think one reason why a lot of the fans are having difficulty with this, is that there are no explanations whatsoever. What happened to Jack, why did the team split up, why did Sam decide to come back, and why make Mitchell the leader? Some reasoning, some background information, some logic behind it all, and maybe we could relate and accept it.

So, to finally come to an end, if TPTB think that they need a male leader, give us some reasonable explanations, and make the "new guy" believeable as a leader so to have a believeable story.
              And aside from character and plot issues, don't make the new actor the lead of the show by giving him top credits. AT, MS, and CJ have carried the show for 8 years, don't you think that they deserve better than this???
              Somebody made a good point earlier by saying that he or she is looking forward to the long opening credits, but at the same time not so much because it will give BB top credit. I just hope they did it in a more balanced way than they did it with RDA in the credits. I could accept that it was "RDA's show" in the beginning but I will never accept that BB IS Stargate, if you know what I mean, not when coming in in season 9. [Rant over]

Sorry, for the rant, just my 2 cents on the topic.
              For me SAM will always be the true leader of SG-1, no matter what. Hopefully, I will never hear the words "Yes sir" out of her mouth when addressing Mitchell, because that will be the day when my head and the closest wall would meet for the first time, and it would not be pretty.

Thank you, Skydiver

Comment

Well then, TPTB need to explain their previous statements which inferred Mitchell was only the temporary leader of SG-1 and that Sam would get command back.

JUST TELL US. They could make life oh so much easier if they fess up or clue us in one way or the other.

Sheesh.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                  that threw me. complete, utterly threw me.

rant time - spoilers for fourth horseman

Spoiler:
                  it was implied that sam and orlin had been *sexually* intimate in s5's ascension? because that's how that was acted/reacted.

landry - 'according to your mission report on your first encounter with orlin, you two had an... intimate relationship?'

sam fumbles and says 'uh, well, we did, but he didn't look like that. he was --'

lam interrupts 'taller?'

sam responds 'he was a grown man'

so, what did i miss in ascension? or, because sean wasn't available, and they couldn't do up-to-date sam/orlin ship, they rewrote ascension's history to make it like sam and orlin *had* been sexually intimate???

this depressed me to no end. this is totally me reacting as a shipper.

damn them.

sally
                  I really expected Sam to correct Landry about the 'intimate comment'. 'Close' would have been much more appropriate and closer to the truth as I saw it.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                    as to the eps, well good points and bad points. it was great to see sam more a part, however some elements of the eps were so predicitble and cliche. I think the only part that caught my by surprise was gerak's fate at the end

anyone else notice something. i'm not sure if it's because AT working a bit less or maybe a creative choice, but do you notice how often sam is off alone? the three boys do things, such as in the beginning of prototype. the boys go down and sam is left alone on the surface.

dude, jack SO would not have done that. they always broke up in 2's not 3 and 1.

that one person that's off alone is so vulnerable.

and maybe that's what's seeming to me to be a lack of team, that fact that it's now boys vs girls with sam seeming to always be the odd woman out

am i just being sensitive or is anyone else seeing it?
                    Hmm, I don't really like the sound of this. In the past eight seasons, they've never done this. One thing I always liked about Stargate was that they never overemphasised the fact that Sam was a woman, and the rest of the team were guys. They never made that divide between them in any way (except for Hathor, and that was perfectly alright ). So if they're suddenly giving Sam different treatment just because she's female, that's going to be weird. I mean, it's not that I don't think Sam wouldn't be capable of handling any trouble on her own, it's that she always used to be 'just one of the team'. She always fit in so well with the guys that there was never an issue about whether she was an equal part of the team or not.

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Originally posted by deepspace
                      Hmm, I don't really like the sound of this. In the past eight seasons, they've never done this. One thing I always liked about Stargate was that they never overemphasised the fact that Sam was a woman, and the rest of the team were guys. They never made that divide between them in any way (except for Hathor, and that was perfectly alright ). So if they're suddenly giving Sam different treatment just because she's female, that's going to be weird. I mean, it's not that I don't think Sam wouldn't be capable of handling any trouble on her own, it's that she always used to be 'just one of the team'. She always fit in so well with the guys that there was never an issue about whether she was an equal part of the team or not.
                      I didnt think they broke up in 3-1. I thought they broke up 3-3 or 3-4.
                      Tea'lc and Daniel went to "look around" and then called to have Mitchell and Sam to "come have a look" at something they found. Mitchell went to look but Sam stayed on mission and commanded the 2-3 members of SG-5 on that mission. The original mission was to
                      Spoiler:
                      check out the nearby black hole
                      Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Hey, all:

Haven't seen the eps yet and was just stopping by to see whose around. You guys are great about spoilers and spoiler space. I appreciate that.

Hope you are having a GREAT weekend.
                        If you immediately know the ep stinks, the writers were cooked a long time ago

Member of Gategrrlz Gone Wild
                        proud Shore Leave 28 Attendee
                        Naughty Shore Leave 29 Attendee (sorry all but thanks for the rescue. many many thanks)

Carmen Argenziano Appreciation

Comment

I went to that other thread...THAT thread. ARGH!!!! WHERE'S MY ZAT?!???!?????????

Comment

Originally posted by dmovies
                            I really expected Sam to correct Landry about the 'intimate comment'. 'Close' would have been much more appropriate and closer to the truth as I saw it.
                            Or something like "It was really a meshing of our spirits" or a classic Sam-technoexplanation of what ascendeds were 'made of.'
                            Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
                            My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

Originally posted by ShimmeringStar
                              Or something like "It was really a meshing of our spirits" or a classic Sam-technoexplanation of what ascendeds were 'made of.'
                              Yeah I think the point of it though was that the comment threw her. For me it's always funny to see "Miss Always Under Control" get flummoxed.

Last edited by Uber; 17 September 2005, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                                I went to that other thread...THAT thread. ARGH!!!! WHERE'S MY ZAT?!???!?????????

Or maybe most of you all don't share my irritation here...

But this is for me an incredibly sore point because it was my mental line...that I wouldn't have a problem with a star from Farscape joining the cast as long as he did not get command of SG-1.

And here we are halfway through the season with mixed signals from TPTB and irritating reminders on screen that so far what they said would happen...HASN'T.

They should have either made him come in as someone with gate experience (who perhaps led another team) as a full Colonel who never expected to serve under Sam, or they should have made him a Major who ws clearly outranked by Carter...but this "kinda subservient, but kinda leading, but not really" attitude is just horrible in its implementation.

Please tell me that there are a few others that are as irked about the way this is going as I am.

Comment

Working...
                                X